Crazy

It All Started With A Phone

"Hello, Han Jiwoo. Or should I say, Li Jiwoo?" 

Jiwoo turned around with wide eyes. Who dared to call her Li Jiwoo?! 

A shadow walked out of the darkness of the night and into the poorly-lit hallway of the apartment building. Of course, it was Haru. 

"I read your files. You're the daughter of Li Wang, a well-known actor in Beijing. He was known not to be in any deep relationships with women, and it was a huge news when the media found out that he had romantic relations with your mother, Kim Chayoung," Haru said. 

"Stop," Jiwoo said in a voice that would make even a Great White Shark flinch. 

Haru continued. "She had to leave the country of China after that because the reporters kept perusing her for interviews. Kim Chayoung fled to South Korea and changed her name to Han Misoo. She was pregnant with you at the time. Several months later, she gave birth to you at Jindo Hospital of Birth. After giving birth to you, she fled again and was never heard from ever since she abandoned you at the hospital."

"I said to stop," Jiwoo warned again. 

"The head doctor, Myung Sohee, who took pity on you named you Jiwoo and you have been living with her until you were eighteen. On your ninth birthday, you found your birth certificate. After you discovered that you were adopted, you ran away, but you were found living in a abandoned barn a few weeks later." 

"Stop. Now," Jiwoo commanded angrily. 

"Sohee moved away from Jindo because she thought that you were being bullied at school and signed you up for Taekwondo classes, where you learned how to fight. However, you continued to run away and were found and then Sohee kept moving until you were a senior in high school. After you graduated, you were free to leave Sohee's custody. You then applied for Seoul University and were miraculously accepted with a full scholarship. You found a cheap apartment and you work part-time at a cake cafe as a baker. And that's where you are right now. Does that sound about right? Your mom abandoned you, you ran away from your guardian multiple times, and you got accepted into the most prestigious college in all of Korea." 

"I SAID TO STOP!" Jiwoo yelled. 

Tears fell down to the ground from Jiwoo's eyes. 

Haru blinked in surprise. He read all of Jiwoo's files and based on the information of her being tough girl, he didn't expecting any tears to be shed. At least those that weren't hers; but he would shed his tears of happiness. However for some strange reason, his revenge didn't feel so great as he thought it would be. Actually, it made him feel... empty; like he didn't accomplish anything from all the data and research he did. 

Haru searched his pockets for a handkerchief. He always carried one after he gave one to Min-Hee when she needed one, just in case she needed another one so it created an opportunity for him to speak to her again. When Haru finally found one, he handed it to Jiwoo. Instead of accepting the handkerchief, Jiwoo slapped his hand away. 

"I don't need your stupid handkerchief," Jiwoo said between sniffles. 

"I know that one of your files said that you were independent, but I guess it forgot to mention that you were stubborn too," Haru mumbled under his breath. 

"What did you say?" Jiwoo asked angrily. 

"I said that you are stubborn," Haru said. 

"I'm not stubborn!" 

"Yes you are. Why didn't you just accept the handkerchief?"

"I didn't want to."

"Well, you have snot on your face."

"No I don't!" 

"Yes you do." 

"No I don't have snot on my face." 

"Are you blind? You can't see the snot?" 

"Of course I can't! What do you think? That I have a mirror right now to look at my face every five seconds like those narcissistic fan girls of yours?!" 

"Well... Maybe..." 

Jiwoo snorted. "That's your argument? Well, in case you haven't noticed the obvious, I'm not like normal girls. I'm strong, don't give a speck of dust about fashion, and I hate self-centered, handsome, rich men like you!"

Wait. Back up. Did she just call Haru "handsome?" 

Haru froze after hearing that word. Jiwoo, knowing that she had no more business with this person, but not knowing that she let a personal comment slip in the haste of her argument, stormed into her apartment and slammed the door shut. 
....... 

Haru had been called handsome many times in his life. In fact, nearly everyone he met had called him handsome. It got annoying sometimes. I mean, everyone called him handsome. Wasn't there a better adjective to describe him? Basically, to Haru, the word "handsome" had been way overused. Han Jiwoo was the 167,000,000th person who called him handsome. Yet, for some odd reason, Haru felt...happy when Jiwoo called him "handsome." Of course, she was insulting him, which stung a little, but nevertheless, she called him handsome. 

And it sounded pleasant. 

Haru shook his head. No. This isn't like the Lee Haru he knew. This wasn't like himself at all. He should just forget about Han Jiwoo's words. They meant nothing at all! He was called handsome since he was a few months old. Why would it suddenly have an impact now? 

Haru shoved his hands into his pockets and walked away. 

He was starting to think that he was going insane ever since he lost a significant number of brain cells from the impact of Jiwoo's fist. 
..... 

Min-Hee, for the first time in her life, had received an A. 

An imperfect score: 96. 

After her instructor passed back everyone's exams, Min-Hee couldn't hear what he said anymore the only words that she could hear though were these: Ninety-six, ninety-six, ninety-six. I got a 96. 

Jiwoo, who crammed the day before the test, got a 92. 

"Yes! A 92! Hey Min-Hee, what did you get?" Jiwoo asked her. 

Min-Hee slid her test to Jiwoo who studied it carefully. 

"You got a 96. That's good, but why do you look like you're about to cry?" Jiwoo asked. 

Min-Hee couldn't reply. She could only hear the words ninety-six said over and over again in her head like a mantra. 

*Ninety-six. Ninety-six. I got a ninety-six.* Min-Hee repeated in her head. 
...... 

Haru noticed Min-Hee's blank stare as he tried to concentrate in class. He also noticed that she wasn't taking notes feverishly like she usually did. It was strange considering that they were learning right now about how the invention of plaster revolutionized architecture for decades to come. 

Then his eyes landed on someone who was feverishly taking notes. Wait, that couldn't possibly be...? Jiwoo? 

Haru never noticed that his desk partner was Jiwoo because he always looked at Min-Hee instead. He didn't even know that Jiwoo was in this class. He figured that she would be in the Taekwondo class or wood shop class because she liked breaking boards (Haru's back) and punching (Haru's face). 

Haru silently chuckled as Jiwoo struggled to keep up with the professor's lecture. Her lips repeated every word she was writing down in her notebook. When she didn't understand something, those lips would be pushed together into a pout. And those lips would probably be able to- 

Haru blushed at his thoughts as he looked away from Jiwoo. 

He was definitely going crazy ever since Jiwoo punched him.