Cake

It All Started With A Phone

Min-Hee was obviously disappointed with her test grade. Therefore, Jiwoo made it her mission to cheer her up. After class, Jiwoo dragged Min-Hee into the cake cafe where Jiwoo worked part time on the weekends. 

"Hey, Jimin!" Jiwoo greeted the boy behind the register, who was surrounded by over four dozen high school girls pushing and shoving in line. 

"Hi, Jiwoo. Are you working today? Because I need some help…" Jimin gestured to all the girls. "Here." 

"Ok. Sure. By the way, meet my friend, Min-Hee. She goes to the same university as I do," Jiwoo introduced. "Min-Hee, this is my co-worker, Jimin."

"Hello, Jimin shi." Min-Hee bowed. 

"Hi, Min-Hee. You can just call me 'Oppa.'" Jimin winked. 

"Ha ha. Very funny. You're only in high school. She's older than you, so YOU will have to call her 'Noona,'" Jiwoo said as she put on her apron. "Min-Hee, you can go sit anywhere you like while I fill these orders. If you want something, tell Jimin to put it on my account. You don't have to pay for anything." 

"Thank you," Min-Hee said, although she didn't want Jiwoo to go through any trouble and pay it herself, but it was very kind of Jiwoo to offer to pay for her food. 

Jiwoo slipped into the kitchen where she found Jungkook, the laziest person to ever walk on Earth, sleeping soundly. 

*No wonder Jimin is having trouble at the register. It's because of this lazy bear who didn't fill the orders!* Jiwoo thought. 

"Yah! Jeon Jungkook! Wake up!" Jiwoo shouted as she kicked the legs of the stool Jungkook was asleep on. 

Jungkook fell off the stool and on the hard concrete floor. "Aish," Jungkook groaned. "What was that for, you idiot?" 

He opened his eyes to face a murderous-eyed Jiwoo. "Who did you just call an idiot?" She asked as she cracked her knuckles. 

"Jiwoo Noona! I-I-I d-didn't know you were working today," Jungkook stammered. 

This was so unlike Jungkook, who was known as his high school's fearless jjang. He always spoke in a condescending manner and NEVER stammered in a scared voice like he was doing now. However, when he was with Jiwoo, it was a different story. 

He heard many stories of the legendary fighter, Han Jiwoo, at school. People called her "the Shadow" since she moved so quickly without making the slightest sound. In order to show everyone that he was the best jjang (and because of his ever-expanding ego), Jungkook challenged Jiwoo into a one-on-one battle. Also, to keep the battle interesting, they made a bet before fighting. If Jungkook won, Jiwoo would have to be his servant for one whole month and she had to admit that she was defeated by Jungkook and admit it on top of the tallest tower at his school. On the other hand, if Jiwoo won, Jungkook and his friends (Jimin and V) would have to work at the cake cafe because the shop was low on employees. Needless to say, it was the worst mistake Jungkook ever made. On top of being left out on gang activities and being humiliated at school, he now had to work at an old cake cafe where girls would linger like hungry cats until he got off his shift and then pounced on him (the mouse). 

*However, it's not too bad,* Jungkook thought. *At least, now I can learn what the Shadow does to be the top, so I can become the best jjang ever and make my awesome comeback.* 

Jiwoo whistled happily as she pulled out a huge mixing bowl from a cabinet along with eggs, flour, a whisk, sugar, and baking powder to bake cake. She loved her job. As a kid, she was obsessively stuffing with sweets all the time, but Sohee was always busy with work and never had time to buy Jiwoo snacks or cook a proper meal. To satisfy her sweet tooth, Jiwoo bought a bunch of cookbooks. By age ten, Jiwoo learned how to cook and bake like a professional chef. Since then, being active in the kitchen was a pleasure to her. 

Jungkook quietly just stood in the kitchen, observing. 

"Yah! Why aren't you doing anything? Get to work!" Jiwoo yelled. 

"Yeah whatever," Jungkook said as he rolled his eyes. He picked up the bag of flour and aimlessly dumped all of it in the mixing bowl, scattering flour everywhere including Jiwoo. 

Jiwoo's face was completely covered with flour. They stood there speechless for a second until Jungkook couldn't hold in his laughter any longer. 

"Pwahahaha! You look so funny! Ha ha ha ha ha!" 

"You think this is funny?" Jiwoo asked sharply. 

"Yeah," Jungkook answered. 

"Well, maybe you'll think this is funny too!" Jiwoo grabbed a fistful of flour from the mixing bowl and threw it on Jungkook's face. "Now that's funny!" 

"What's all this noise?" Jimin asked as he entered the kitchen. "Ha ha ha ha ha! You both have flour all over your faces!"

"Well maybe you won't think it's so funny once you have it on your face," Jiwoo and Jungkook said in unison. They both grabbed a fistful of flour and threw it on Jimin's face. 

"Yo, Hyung. Look at yourself." Jungkook pulled out his phone and the screen reflected Jimin's flour-powdered face. 

"Oh no! What did you guys do? Look at my hair! All those girls out there will be absolutely horrified!" Jimin wailed. 

Jiwoo and Jungkook both raised an eyebrow.

"I think that those girls wouldn't care about your hair, but more about your face. Or did you just notice that your face is caked in flour?" Jiwoo asked. 

"Who cares! It took me over a hour to get my hair this perfect in the morning today! Now it's ruined!" 

Jiwoo's and Jungkook's eyebrows were raised even higher. 

"Seriously Hyung?" Jungkook asked. 

V walked in the room. "I just got here, but I think I'll have to cover for...all of you while you get cleaned up." 

"Thanks, V," Jimin said between sniffles. 

"Yeah. Thanks, V Hyung," Jungkook said. 

Jimin and Jungkook left to get cleaned up in the employee bathrooms upstairs. However, Jiwoo remained. 

"Jiwoo Noona, aren't you going to get cleaned up?" V asked. 

"Nah. I'll just wash my face in the sink," Jiwoo answered. 

"Besides, I have a feeling that Jimin is going to take about two hours in the ladies' bathroom to work on getting his hair 'perfect' again."
...... 

By the time Jungkook was back (Jimin, as Jiwoo predicted, was taking a long time in the bathroom, fixing his hair), the kitchen was cleaned spotless and all the orders were filled. 

The previous disaster in the mixing bowl was replaced with a perfect chiffon cake batter. Jiwoo was whisking the batter gently yet at the same time, putting enlightened force so that it was well-mixed with a smile on her face. Jungkook's heart stopped beating for a moment. The Shadow, Han Jiwoo was smiling! Her whole face was lit up with that single smile. 

*That's weird. Why am I suddenly hearing my heartbeat so loudly and clearly?* Jungkook thought. 

Jiwoo looked up. "Oh, you're back." She smiled. 

Jungkook blushed. "Er...yeah..." He scratched the back of his neck sheepishly. He could feel his ears turning bright red. What was there to be embarrassed about? The flour was gone from his face; he made sure of that in the restroom. 

"Well, don't just stand there! Do something!" Jiwoo said loudly, who was clearly uncomfortable with Jungkook's sudden awkwardness. 

"O-o-ok." 
...... 

Min-Hee occupied herself by playing Dragon Flight until the cake cafe closed. Jiwoo told her that she would have to take a full shift today, but she also had planned a surprise for Min-Hee after work, so Min-Hee had to wait. 

"Oh! So close!" Min-Hee said as her character got blasted by a meteor. 

"Need help?" a familiar voice asked. 

Min-Hee looked up. "Luhan?!" 

"Yup. Hi, Min-Hee. I didn't mean to startle you." Luhan smiled sheepishly. "Do you mind if I sit here?" Luhan pointed to the chair across from her. 

"No. I don't mind at all," Min-Hee said. 

"So... Jiwoo called me here and told me you were sad. Do you want to talk about it?" Luhan asked. 

"Well... I got a 96 on a test today," Min-Hee confessed. 

"Really?" 

"Yes. It's the worst grade I've ever received," Min-Hee said as tears welled up in her eyes. 

Luhan's smile was quickly replaced with a sad frown. His gaze softened. He wanted to do something, but he didn't know how to comfort her. 

"It's ok. It's just a grade. Besides, 96 isn't really bad. There are worse grades than that, and it's only 4 points from 100. Don't put too much pressure on yourself," Luhan said. 

Min-Hee nodded. She knew a 96 wasn't too bad, and she wasn't very sad. But it was more like disappointment. She was disappointed that she didn't get a perfect score as usual. Luhan was right though. She shouldn't put too much pressure on herself.

"Cheer up, Min-Hee. The world is not going to end because you got a 96." 

Min-Hee looked up and faced Jiwoo who was holding a ginormous chocolate chiffon cake in her hands. In the center of the cake, white icing formed the numbers 96. 

"Yay! We're going to eat Jiwoo Noona's cake!" V shouted. 

"Hey! It's not for you. It's for Min-Hee," Jiwoo said as she elbowed V out of eating range of the cake. 

"Oww!" V yelled. "You don't know your own strength, Noona." 

"Hey what's going on here?" Jimin asked as he walked into the room, his hair restored to its former perfection. Then he looked at Luhan. "Oh my goodness! Is that Luhan from Exo? Can I have your autograph?" 

Jungkook and Jiwoo rolled their eyes. Typical Jimin. Always asking for singers' autographs to add to his collection. 

"Uh...sure," Luhan said hesitantly. 

"Oh yeah. I forgot to introduce you to everyone," Jiwoo said. 

"Luhan, this is V, Jimin, and Jungkook," Jiwoo introduced. "Min-Hee, meet Jungkook and V. And you have already met Jimin." 

"Hello," Min-Hee said. 

"Hi," Luhan said.

"Nice to meet you," V said. 

"Hey," Jimin said. 

Jungkook only grunted. 

"Anyway, now let's eat the cake!" Jiwoo shouted. 

She cut the cake into six equal pieces and everyone ate a slice. 

Min-Hee didn't know if it was the cake, or Jiwoo's kindness, or Luhan's comfort, but she soon forgot about the test score. 

A ninety-six? It didn't matter anymore to her.