Starting to Get Closer

I Don't Wanna be Right

          Aom’s family had their dinner in peace. No one opened their mouth. Aom busy with her thought. She was still curious with Tina reason. Why she fight with Beam?

            “Mom,” called Aom, hesitates. Finally she opened .

            Mrs. Mannaying looked at her daughter. “Yes?”

            “Why Tina fought with Beam, Mom? Did she tell you the reason?” Aom tried not to looks curious.

            “I also don’t know, Aom. She didn’t tell me her reason. She just said that Beam so annoying. I thought you know about it, Aom.” Mrs. Mannaying answered.

            “Tina fought?” asked Mr. Mannaying surprised. “Again?”

            Mrs. Mannaying nodded. “Beam is your boyfriend, right, Aom?”

            Aom cleared . “Well, no more, Mom. I’m done with him.”

            “I don’t know that you had a boyfriend, Aom.” Mr. Mannaying narrowed his eyes and that made Aom nervous.

            “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you, Dad,” said Aom which felt guilty. “But I’m no longer with him.”

            “Why?” asked Mrs. Mannaying curious.

            Aom continued eat her dinner. “Well, nothing, Mom.”

            Mr. and Mrs. Mannaying knew that Aom hid something, but they didn’t want to force their daughter. Aom realized that her parents wouldn’t believe her statement, but she really won’t reveal the real reason why she and Beam broke up. She won’t let her parents know that Beam be her boyfriend just for winning the bet that he made with his friends.

            “How’s the thing with Tina? I heard you say something mean to her,” said Mrs. Mannaying, changed the topic.

            “Mean?” asked Aom surprised.

            Mrs. Mannaying nodded. “She said you told her that she hadn’t had a brain. Is it true?”

            “Hadn’t had a brain?” Mr. Mannaying almost choked. He widened his eyes and a bit angry. “Why you call her that, Aom?”

            Aom gulped. That kid! “It’s because she’s so stupid.”

            Mr. Mannaying stared fiercely at Aom. “Watch out your words, Aom. She’s my friend’s daughter.”

            “But, Dad—”

            “Tina maybe sometimes troublesome, but she’s a nice kid after all,” added Mrs. Mannaying. “Don’t be too mean to her, Aom.”

            “She’s the one who started first, Mom.” Aom tried to defense.

            “Aom, listen to me,” Mrs. Mannaying stared Aom seriously. “don’t be so mean with her. She just needs a friend.”

            “She had Mike, Mom.” Aom still won’t give up.

            Mr. Mannaying sighed. “Why’re you so stubborn, Aom? We’re just asking you to be friend with her, why you make it so hard?”

            Aom stared her parents: first her dad then her mom. She didn’t get it why her parents force her to be friendly with Tina. How can I be friend with troublesome and childish kid like that? They’re must be kidding me.

            “I’ll try to not so mean to her,” said Aom, finally gave up.

            Mr. and Mrs. Mannaying smiled widely. “Good then,” said Mr. Mannaying.

###

            Tina was absent that day. After the bell which means break time rang, Mrs. Mannaying that teaches Aom class, took a glance to Aom like asking Tina. Aom understood and she answered with raised her shoulder. Mrs. Mannaying looked not satisfied with Aom answer, but she decided to walk out from class after dismissed it. Aom glanced to Tina’s seat and saw Mike already stood up and walked out. Aom caught up with Mike’s step, but she tried not to look obviously.

            “Hello, smarty,” said Mike with big smile to Aom that already walked beside him.

             Aom throw back a smile to Mike too. “Hi, Mike. Where’s your friend?” she hid her curious and put a flat face.

            Mike smirked. “Why? You miss her?” he .

            Aom kept her flat face and shook her head. “Nope. Why I must miss someone like her?”

            Mike burst out laughed. “I think just you who dislike her when all girls wanna to be her girlfriend.”

            “I’m a straight, thank you.”

            Mike laughed again. “You’re so awesome, Aom.” He raised his thumb up. “Ah, about that kid, I think she’s taking a nap somewhere.”

            “Baby!” Jane shouted to Mike that walked beside Aom. She looked at Aom irritatingly. “Why she’s walking with my baby?” murmur Jane.

            Mike turned her head to the voice from. He smiled immediately. “Ah, that’s Jane. See ya, smarty.” He left Aom and went toward Jane that stood not too far.

            “Taking a nap? Tsk! Rotten kid,” said Aom that continue walking to the canteen.

            Aom didn’t take the usual path to the canteen, through the other class, but she went to another path, the backside. Rare of students came through the backside because it made the time longer than went with usual path. The backside had a lot of trees and another plants also benches. Sometimes Aom used this path just because want to feel cool.

            When heard that Tina maybe taking a nap, she purposely went to the backside. Just in case she’ll meet with Tina. The wind blew her hair and she closed her eyes to felt the fresh breeze. She didn’t realize that someone watching her.

            “Feel pretty, huh?” a voice rudely from someone startled Aom that immediately opened her eyes.

            She found three girls stood in front of her. Obliviously those girls dislike Aom. Aom didn’t scare to them.

            “You’re talking to me?” asked Aom fearless.

            “Yes! Why you seduce our Tina?!” asked the girl in the middle.

            Aom shocked hear the question from the girl that she didn’t know. “What? I seduce that kid? Are you kidding me? What in world I want to seduce that kid? Can you ask me the question that more reasonable?”

            “If you’re not seducing her, why she gave you a ride?”

            “You’re not her girlfriend, right?”

            “How can you seduce someone that already had a girlfriend? So shameful.”

            “You think you’re pretty?”

            “Did you sleep with her?”

            Aom who tried to endure her emotion, didn’t believe that they’ll questioned her like that. “Sleep? With her?”

            “Yeah, hurry answers our questions.”

            “I have no intention to answer your silly questions. Next time, use your heads if want to give questions to me again. Smart questions, not stupid questions,” replied Aom that walked through them.

            Those girls didn’t expect that Aom will be doing counterattack. Surprised and mad too because what was Aom say. One of them pulled Aom’s hair, but fortunately it didn’t make Aom fell. Aom turned her body and faced them again. She stared at them sharply.

            “What just you did?” asked Aom.

            “Don’t you dare to come near our Tina again. If not—”

            “What? What’ll you do? Huh?” Aom already lost her patient.

            “This girl really needs how to respect people.”

            “Yeah, you’re right.”

            “What?” asked Aom again, provoked.

            The girl in the middle that seems like the leader between them, raised her hand to slapped Aom, but then voice of something bothered them. Those girls gasped, except Aom because she didn’t have intention to know. The girl in the middle put down her hand and those girls became fidget.

            “What’re you doing here? Disturbing my nap?” asked Tina who was jumping from the tree that behind Aom. She stared those three girls.

            The girl in the middle shook her head. “We’re not. We’re just wanna give a punishment to this rotten girl.”

            Tina took a glance to Aom. “Punishment? Are you a God?”

            “We’re just wanna stop her for seduce you,” replied that girl.

            “Seduce me? If she really seduces me, I won’t buy it. Stop your nonsense talk and get lost from here. This is my territory.”

            “O-okay.” Then those girls rushed out from there.

            “Why you always make a scene here? This is my territory. So, don’t try to come here again,” said Tina without looked at Aom and just showed her back view.

            “Your territory? Since when? This is school territory,” replied Aom. “They’re your fans, huh? Are you happy had fans like that? ‘The idol’ and the fans just the same: no brain at all. This is what I call need to be careful when choose an idol.”

            “Stop it!” said Tina while turned her body. She stared Aom sharply.

            “Or what?”

            For Tina, it sounded like Aom challenged her. “Or…” she smirked. “I’ll kiss you.” Then she winked, purposely teased Aom.

            Aom’s eyes widen. She surprised, but then she changed her face expression again. She hopes that Tina didn’t see her shocked expression. Unfortunately, Tina saw that.

            “Oh yeah? You dare to do it?” Aom tried to look arrogant.

            Tina grinned. “Of course, Baby. Should I show it to you now?” she came closer to Aom.

            Aom went backward, still controlled her expression. “What if your girlfriend sees it?”

            “Nah, it’s okay. I’ll break up with her soon.” Tina replied with calm. So, you scare, huh?

            “Stop.” Aom blocked Tina for came closer with her hands. She pushed Tina body to keep away from her. “I’ll go.” She rushed to the canteen, left Tina who grinned.

###

            “Aom!” Pei who ran from the outside class, stopped on Aom’s table with his chest up and down.

            Aom raised her head from her book and stared expressionless to Pei. “What?”

            “That kid breaks up and now she has a new girlfriend. What a player!”

            “It has nothing to do with me, Pei. I thought you’ll say an important thing.” Aom continued read her book.

            “Well, I thought you wanna know about it, Aom. How are the things between you and her? She shows any progress?” Pei pulled her chair to in front of Aom’s table.

            Aom didn’t answer because she already sinks into her book. Pei rolled his eyes then waved his hand in front of Aom’s face. Aom sighed then closed her book.

            “What is it?”

            Pei repeated his question. “She shows any progress?”

            “Nope. She’s still stupid as usual. In the end, I teach her from the start, can you believe it? Gosh!”

            “Seems like you’ll win for sure, Aom,” said Pei.

            “Seems like it. She’s no challenging at all. Just a big mouth that can’t use her brain. Pity her,” replied Aom rudely.

            “But she’s good at basketball.”

            “Tsk! I can do it too,” replied Aom arrogant.

            “Really?” Tina suddenly appeared from behind Aom made Aom startled.

            “Of course I can do it.” Quickly Aom answered Tina. Pei looked worried.

            “Then should we do a little match?” Tina gave an offer then she grinned.

            “I’d like to,” agreed Aom.

            “Okay then. After the school ends, prepare yourself, Aom.” Tina patted Aom’s shoulder. “Su su!” then she turned her body while whistling happily.

            “You sure you can, Aom?” whispered Pei. As long as he knew Aom, she never showed a great skill when played basketball.

            “You doubt me?” asked Aom, annoyed.

            “Well….” Pei didn’t continue her sentence.

            “Just see, Pei. I’ll show it to that arrogant kid that not just her who can play basketball.”

            “Arrogant kid? Then what are you?” replied Pei. “I just realized that you’re just like her, Aom.”

            Aom glared Pei. “I’m not!”

            Pei rolled his eyes. “Yeah, yeah, good luck to you.” He wandered around the class. “Seem like the teacher isn’t coming. It’s good then, wanna join to the canteen? I’m hungry.”

            “The break time is over, Pei. How could you go to the canteen when it isn’t the time?”

            “Don’t be too strict, Aom. You need to enjoy your high school. C’mon!” Pei stood up.

            “Nope. Just go by yourself.”

            “Stubborn kid.” Then Pei went out from the class.

            Aom continued read her book, but then she put it down again. “Can I win over that kid? Aish… I shouldn’t say like that. I’m dead meat.” She regretted with was she do.

            ###

            After Aom and Tina changed their skirts into sport pants, they faced each other in the basketball outdoor field. Tina stood confidently, believe that she’ll win for sure. She became basketball player since middle school. She often got MVP award on basketball competitions, even she also chosen to be a national basketball player. She liked had born to be a basketball player.

            “The one who earn five points is the winner, deal?” offered Tina.

            “Deal,” said Aom agreed. Her heart skipped a beat.

            There were so many students that watched that mini competition. The girls watched just because wanted to saw Tina, they’ll glad if Tina could win over Aom. The other students were just curious so they watched it. Tina knew that Aom was nervous. She smirked.

            “Don’t tell me that you’re scare.” Tina purposely provoked Aom.

            Aom stared sharply to Tina. “I’m not.”

            “Good then. You can play first.” Tina gave the ball to Aom and then she was ready on defense mode.

            Aom started to dribble the ball. She searched the gap between them. Then she tried to through Tina and did a lay-up. The ball went in the ring basket smoothly. Aom grinned to Tina and gave her see-i-can-do-it look. But then Tina easily earned four points and that made Aom nervous again. She needed to win. Tina dribbled the ball with ease. She just needed one more point and she won. She found a gap and went through Aom, but Aom tried to block it. Tina pushed Aom’s body and that made Aom fell.

            “Argh!” shouted Aom while touching her right ankle.

            Tina stopped and looked at Aom. “I know you’re lying. Get up.” She stood in front of Aom that still sat on the ground while hold her ankle. “You really hurt?” her voice sounded worry. She squatted, put the ball away, and touched Aom’s right ankle.

            “Argh~” Aom grinned.

            In seconds and like a flash, suddenly Aom stood up, took the ball, and shot it. Tina startled with was just happened. Aom burst out laughed and stuck her tongue out to Tina.

            “4-2. Yossshh! I won’t give up,” said Aom that already dribbled the ball again and earned one point again because Tina who still shocked, wasn’t back to her sense yet.

            “4-3. Are you just gonna sit there, huh?” Aom provoked Tina.

            Tina stood up and glared to Aom. “I don’t know that someone like you know how to cheating. Don’t tell me that you’re cheating too on your quizzes and exams.”

            Tina counterattack succeed make Aom angry. “I’m not.”

            “Oh, really?” Tina continued tease Aom.

            When Aom carelessly attack, Tina took the ball while pushed Aom really hard. Aom fell again. Tina won the match and made the other students screamed in joy. Aom snorted. Tina smirked and walked toward Aom that still sat on the ground.

            “I won,” said Tina. “You’re just a babbler, huh. Talk big, but no action. Pity you.”

            Aom narrowed her eyes and looked mad. “What?” asked Tina. “Get up.” She offered her hand to Aom, but Aom slapped it.

            “No need your help,” said Aom arrogant.

            Tina laughed. “You mad because you lose? Oh, c’mon, don’t be such a childish.”

            “Whatever.” Aom tried to stand up, but suddenly her right ankle became painful. “Argh!”

            “Stop acting.” Tina didn’t believe that Aom hurt.

            “I’m not!” yelled Aom. She held her right ankle while grinning. Her ankle really hurt.

            Mike who sensed something wrong, rushed to Tina and Aom. “What happens?” asked him. “You hurt somewhere, Aom?” he asked to Aom that looked like in painful.

            “Yeah, my ankle,” answered Aom.

            Mike touched Aom’s right ankle and that made Aom grinned. “Seems like your ankle sprained. I’ll take you to the medical room.”

            Mike carried Aom to the medical room that on the first floor, beside the library. Tina followed them, Jane too. Fortunately the doctor wasn’t home yet, so Aom got treated.

            “Why you did that?” asked Jane who got jealous to Mike.

            “She’s hurt, Jane,” replied Mike.

            “But—”

            “Stop it. Let’s go home.” Mike cut Jane. He looked at Aom warmly. “I’m sorry, but I need to leave first.”

            Aom smiled. “It’s okay, Mike. Thank you anyway.”

            Tina rolled her eyes. Aom ignored her. At that time, Pei came in. He looked at Aom and her ankle that got wrapped.

            “Are you okay, Aom?” asked Pei.

            “For now, she’s okay, but it’ll better if she goes to the hospital later to check her ankle,” replies the doctor.

            “Oh… okay, Doctor. Thank you,” said Pei, grateful. “Your mom already home, Aom. Wanna me call her?”

            “It’s okay, Pei.”

            “Okay, done,” said the doctor that finished the bandage on Aom’s ankle. “Be careful, okay.”

            Aom nodded. “Okay, thanks, Doctor.”

            “Let’s go, Aom. I’ll accompany you.” Pei offered his hand to Aom.

            Tina released a deep exhale. She pushed Pei away. “Get away!” she carried Aom.

            “What’re you doing?” Aom panicked and punched Tina’s body.

            “Carry you home,” said Tina.

            “I told you I don’t need your help.” Aom kept punching Tina’s body.

            “Shut up or I’ll kiss you.” Tina threatened her.

            “Put me down.”

            The other students that weren’t home yet, saw Tina who carried Aom. That made the girls envious and hates Aom more. Aom felt uncomfortable with the look from the others.

            “Tina!” Aom yelled. “Put me—”

            The girls gasped. They shocked see Tina who kissed Aom’s lips. Eyes Aom widen, she was so shocked. Then she punched Tina’s body again, mad because the surprised kiss.

            “Should I kiss you more?”

            Tina stared seriously at Aom and Aom knew that Tina will really do it if Aom kept fights. So, Aom chosen not punched her again and let Tina carried her, although she felt uncomfortable. Tina stopped at security post.

            “Guard my motorcycle for a while,” said Tina to the security.

            The security nodded. “Okay.”

            “And find me a taxi now.” There was no politeness on Tina tone.

            “Okay.” The security that seemed like already mid-30, ran to the street to found a taxi.

            A few minutes later, a taxi came. “Thank you, Sir,” said Aom to the security.

            The security smiled widely. “You’re welcome, Miss.”

            Tina put down Aom carefully inside the taxi. After Aom told the driver her address, the taxi took off. Aom faced Tina that put a poker face.

            “How can you talk to the elder like that? There’s no politeness at all. You shouldn’t do that,” nagged Aom. “And why you accompany me home? I told you I can going home by—”

            Tina glanced to Aom. “You wanna me to shut you up again?” she looked at Aom’s eyes. She just realized that Aom had black clear eyes. She gulped then quickly avoided Aom’s eyes.

            Suddenly Tina heart beat went crazily. She kept inhale-exhale for a couple of times. Aom bent her brows, confused with Tina behavior. Because of traffic jam, they arrived at Aom’s home 45 minutes later. After paying, Tina insisted to carry Aom again. Mr. and Mrs. Mannaying shocked see Aom’s ankle had bandage. Tina put her down on the sofa on the television room.

            “Uncle and Mam, I’m sorry for causing trouble to Aom. We were playing basketball and I pushed her to the ground. It made Aom’s ankle sprained. I’m really sorry. The doctor at the school said that she needs to go to hospital just to make sure.”

            Aom surprised see Tina talked so politely and admitted her fault. She didn’t think Tina would do that. If it was an act, then Tina really needed to get an award.

            “I’m sorry, Aom,” said Tina while stared Aom.

            Aom stared her back. She had brown eyes. Aom felt weird because Tina said that with her honesty.

            “Tomorrow I’ll pick her up, Mam,” said Tina while looked at Mrs. Mannaying seriously.

            “For what?” asked Aom. “No need to do that.”

            “I’m not talking to you, Aom,” replied Tina, cold.

            Aom directed her eyes to her parents. “See, Mom, Dad, who’s the one that more mean here?”

            “Okay, thank you, Tina, and we’ll bring her to the hospital later,” said Mr. Mannaying, ignored the complaint from her daughter.

            “No need to thank you to me, Uncle, because this is my fault,” replied Tina still polite. She changed her gaze to Mrs. Mannaying. “I’m sorry, Mam, it’s okay if I get detention,” said Tina to Mrs. Mannaying.

            Mrs. Mannaying smiled warmly. “It’s okay, Tina.”

            Tina nodded. “Thank you, Mam. I’m leaving then.” She smiled widely to Aom’s parents then glanced to Aom. “See ya tomorrow morning.” She messed up Aom’s hair then walked out from Aom’s house.

            Aom shocked. Tina seemed really liked to made Aom shocked. She didn’t know why Tina needed to mess her hair and it was in front of her parents. Crazy kid!

            “See? She’s nice, right?” Mrs. Mannaying opened the conversation after Tina out from their house.

            Aom rolled her eyes. Yeah, a nice kid who kissed your daughter, Mom. Aom really curious what will her parents do if they knew that Tina kissed her. She wished that her dad will beat her. Just thinking of it already makes Aom happy. It’ll be good if like that. Then she smirked.