Nothing's Over

Nothing's Over

“Where?? Where are you going??”

“My nuna (as in older sister) came to visit me last week and she has been staying at my house the past few weeks and I was showing her around Seoul.”

Oh so that’s where he was this whole time.

“Well she told me that there is a university near her house in California, and that I should go there to go study. At first I didn’t want to go but I can’t let go of this great opportunity yennoe?”

I just stared at him trying to take everything he was saying into my head.

“Wait, so your just gonna leave?”

“Yea….I’m sorry.”

I couldn’t look at him anymore cause I didn’t want to cry in front of him.

“When are you leaving?”

“Oh, um.. about that…. Im leaving in 2 days.”

“2 days?!?”

“Yea, im sorry I didn’t tell you sooner. Its just that-“

“Have fun.”

“What?”

I wiped away my tears.

“I said have fun. Don’t forget to call sometimes okay?”

I smiled at him.

“Oh, well…. I’m glad I met you, Seungyeon.”

“Me too.”

What was happening to me this year? I thought once I come back to California everything would be great. First I lose my boyfriend then I lose my best friend. I took out some paper and began writing him a letter. I figured since I couldn’t face him anymore I should just write a letter telling him how I feel.

The next day I walked to his house and put the letter in his mailbox. I saw that there was boxes outside of his house with all his things. I put the letter in the mailbox and walked away. I didn’t want to talk to him because I might cry again and I didn’t want him to see that.

I went to the supermarket and bought a couple of boxes of ramen. It was my turn this week and I figured I should buy it while I was here. I went to the ramen section and got a box. Someone else was grabbing the same box as me and I thought it was Woohyun.

“Ya! This was mine first!” I said playfully.

I looked up and it wasn’t Woohyun. It was an elder man. I apologized to him and gave him the box of ramen. I took 2 boxes and went to the register to pay for them. I had a flashback of the last time I went to the supermarket with Woohyun. I shook the thought out my head. “He’s leaving remember?” I thought to myself. Yes, he was really leaving.

There was only 1 more day left until Woohyun was leaving for California. I knew I should talk to him but I figured he was busy and he wasn’t in the mood to see my face right now. I grabbed a duster and started cleaning the desk Woohyun gave to me. I had a flashback of when me and Woohyun were putting the desk together. I shook the thought out of my mind and continued to clean.

Today was the day. Woohyun was leaving. I got ready and took the taxi to the airport. It was 11am and Woohyun’s flight was at 12pm. I figured that was a good enough time for me to see him. I went to the front of the airport and saw Woohyun’s sister in the front.

“Um excuse me, my name is Seungyeon and I’m Woohyun’s friend. Where’s Woohyun?”

“Oh, he just went in.”

“What?”

“Yea. He just went in about 5 minutes ago. I think hes still near the security check.”

“Thank you.”

I ran inside the airport and looked around for the security check. I found the security check and went to the line. Woohyun wasn’t there. I asked a security officer if they had seen a tall guy with brown hair. They said that he just went in.

I was too late. I asked him if I could please see him but they said only if I had a ticket.

I slowly walked away from the security check. I was too late. I couldn’t believe it. I slowly walked away from the security check. He’s gone I thought to myself. Why didn’t I go talk to him yesterday when I had the chance? Why? Hopefully he read my letter…..

“Seungyeon?”

I turned around.

“Seungyeon. What are you doing-?”

Am I really dreaming right now or is he seriously in front of me?

“Woohyun, I-“

He stood right in front of me. Close enough so I can feel his breath. It was really him and not a dream. He reached out and wiped a tear that was falling down my cheek.

“I read your letter.”

“You did?”

He takes out the letter from his pocket.

“Read it to me.”

“Woohyun-“

“Read it.”

I looked around and took the paper from his hand and opened it.

“Woohyun, I remember the day we met on that airplane. The time you helped me with my luggage and gave me that piece of gum. When I ran into you on my first day. when you stole my spot under the tree. When you sat next to me in class. When you ate with me. When you bought me my desk. when you stole my ramen. when you held me when I cried. When you told me that Myungsoo is missing out on a person like me. When you made me forget about all my problems. When you gave me a reality check on my life. When you made me miss you when you left. When you made me feel like I wasn’t alone. I didn’t think I would ever meet a person like you who would deal with the crap I have put you through. So I just wanted to say thank you. And-“

He leaned in and kissed me. A long deep kiss. Something I never felt with Myungsoo. He held onto my face and wiped the tears that seemed to never end.

“Seungyeon, you stupid girl.”

He laughed and kissed me again. I held onto him tightly.