Nothing's Over

Nothing's Over

And he was gone. I looked around the empty apartment. I didn’t have a chance to move my stuff from my parent’s house yet. My side of the room was still empty except for this lumpy mattress that I managed to get before I left. I sat down and started unpacking. I put my clothes into a basket and took them into the laundry room. I took out the picture of me and Kayla and placed it on the floor next to my mattress.

My phone started buzzing uncontrollably and I took it out and read the text message.

Myungsoo~ie baby – “Hey, Babe. Let’s meet at the Japanese restaurant that you like at 6. See you there~”

I looked at the text and couldn’t help but smile. I was happy to be home. I fell flat on my bed and closed my eyes. I fell asleep for what felt like 10 minutes. I woke up, looked at the watch on my arm. “Crap!!!” It was already 7:30. I grabbed my purse, called a taxi andtold the driver to drive as fast as he could. When I got there, he was gone. I took out my phone and called him but no answer. I figured he went home because I didn’t show up. A few blocks away was his house so I walked.

A few doors down was a bar. I quickly passed by it, afraid of the drunk people sitting by the street laughing. I peeked inside the bar and saw what looked my Myungsoo. “Nah…” I thought to myself. “What would he be doing in there? He doesn’t drink.”

I walked to the front of his house, rang the doorbell a couple of times and waited. No answer. I rang it a few more times but still no answer. I sat on his front porch and waited for what seemed like hours.

I lost hope and was about to leave when Myungsoo showed up completely drunk and reeked of alcohol. A girl, who looked about 2 years older than him was holding him up from falling.

“It is sooooo hot right now. Hey look, my hooussee.”

“Oppaa!” the girl said. “You are soo cute, Oppa.”

“Oppa?” I thought to myself. This girl looked so mature how could he be her oppa? I stood up and grabbed Myungsoo by the arm. He grabbed a hold of my face and I could smell the alcohol in his mouth.

“Myungsoo, what happened to you?” I asked.

“Hellooo, little girllll”

“What? Little girl?”

The girl standing next to Myungsoo was glaring at me up and down. She grabbed hold on Myungsoo’s arm and pulled him away from me.

“Oppa lets get away from this girl,” she said to him.

I stood there in shock. “What?” I smirked. “Girl?” I was really angry now. Not because of the fact that they are calling me a girl when I was clearly not a girl but a woman but because Myungsoo had his arm wrapped around this stranger.

“He’s my boyfriend. You can let go of him now.”

She looked at me in disbelief.

“Girlfriend? I’m his girlfriend.”

Then it hit me. This girl was not just his friend or a random stranger but his girlfriend?! I was dumbfounded, shocked, confused, and angry. I didn’t know what to do at this point but run. Tears started running down my face like mad and it wouldn’t stop. When I finally reached my apartment, I ran to my bed and just sat there and cried. I had no one to talk to. Hara was gone and my parents were away on a trip to Japan for their 21 year anniversary. I felt so betrayed. I was only gone for 3 months and this is what he does to me? I couldn’t believe it.

The next day, Myungsoo called me and told me that he waited for me but I never showed up so he called a couple of his friends to hang out with him at a coffee shop. I sat there taking in all his lies, believing everything he was saying. I nodded and told him that it was okay and that it was my fault for being late. He told me that he would take me to the amusement park today to make up for yesterday.

My eyes were completely swollen at this point but I was trying to convince myself to forget about what I saw last night. “It was just a dream, Seungyeon. Just a dream.” I repeated this over and over again in my head and that seemed to do the trick.

I got into the shower and fixed myself up. I felt like a girl on her first date. I quickly put makeup on and my favorite tee-shirt and jeans. I put the jacket that Myungsoo gave me for our 1 year anniversary on. I heard the horn of his car beep and ran outside. He stood there, leaning on the door waiting for me. When he saw me he quickly gave me a hug, opened my door and we drove off.

I looked at his face while he was driving and the image of last night popped into my head. I quickly shook it out of my mind. Today we were having fun, just the two of us. That’s all that mattered.

We got to Lotte World. (a amusement park in Korea) He bought my ticket and we walked inside. After a few minutes he turned to the side and looked at me.

“Oh! It’s the sweater I gave you!”

“Yea,” I replied. I smiled at him.

We rode as many rides as we could and finally had a chance to take a break and eat lunch. We bought some burgers and sat down to eat. It was quiet, unlike it normally is. I looked at him and asked him what was wrong and he just replied saying he was worn out from the rides. I nodded in agreement and sat there quietly eating my burger. He noticed how awkward the situation was and playfully put his arm around my shoulder.

“I missed you babe.”

“Me too.”

He bit out of my burger and kissed me on the cheek. He smiled his most adorable smile and the image from last night seemed to pop out of my head. I loved him and he loved me and that was all there is to it. I knew he would never cheat on me.

He dropped me off at my apartment and walked me to the porch of my house. He grabbed my shoulders and kissed me on the lips. A really quick one. Not like the long one he used to do. I was disappointed but I didn’t let that show on my face. I waved him off and he drove away.

The next day was my first day at University and I was really excited. Myungsoo was excited for me too. I asked him why he didn’t want to go to college and he said that school isn’t really his thing and that his job at the music store was way better than listening to boring lectures all day. We use to laugh about it but sometimes he would just cut me off and say how boring I was and that my life was not adventurous and that’s why I decided to go to California to prove him wrong.

I woke up the next morning feeling excited. Seoul University was just a few blocks away from my apartment so I just walked. Last night, Hara came back from her friend’s house and cleaned her side of the room. She was more into school than I was and whenever she had free time she would be sitting and reading or writing novels in her notebooks. I admired her a lot but sometimes I wished we had a closer relationship. She never really spoke unless it was to tell me it was my turn to buy the toilet paper for the bathroom or that we were running out of ramen. I sometimes like the quiet but now it seemed to bother me. I would sometimes try to make conversations but it would get cut off with a “Shush, I’m reading.”

I walked to school feeling really excited. I got my classes and rooms written down in my notebook so I wouldn’t forget. I walked around the hallways and then it hit me. I was in the wrong building and my classroom was all the way on the upper building across the campus. I ran as fast as I could but I bumped into this guy on the way. I apologized, bowed my head many times and helped him pick up his books.

“Sorry, I am so sorry. It’s just that I’m late for class and my classroom is all the way on the other side of the campus.”

He got up and looked up at me.

“Oh hey, its you.”

I grabbed the last of his books and looked at him. It was the guy that was sitting next to me on the airplane.

“Oh! gum guy!”

“Huh?”

I smiled at him. Handed him his books and ran off.

“Sorry for bumping into you! I’m really late! Sorry! Bye!”

“Wait! Can I get your name?”

“Seungyeon. Han Seungyeon.”