Nothing's Over

Nothing's Over

I ran into my classroom. When I opened the door everyone was staring at me.

“Your late,” my professor said. “Sorry,” I said. I sat in an empty chair and listened to his lecture.

I walked out of the classroom angry at myself for making such a bad impression to the professor on the first day. I sat down under a tree and took out the book he told us to read and write a report on. “Romeo and Juliet, a tragic love story of two lovers, whom their parents opposed, in the end they both die but the family discovers that true love cannot be separated and the death of their children brought the two families together.”

Seemed sad and I normally do not like sad stories but this book captivated me. I opened the book to the front page and but was cut off.

“That’s my spot.”

I looked up and saw the guy from earlier.

“Oh.” I got up. “Sorry about before.”

“Haha, I was just playing with ya,” he said. “And its okay, It happens all the time,” he said sarcastically.

“Hey! I didn’t mean to do it!”

“Haha, don’t worry about it.”

He sat down next to me and took out the same book as me.

“Oh, you have to read it to?”

“Yea, professor really knows how to pick books huh?”

“Hey, this book is actually really interesting.”

“I know. I read it a couple of times already. Do you need help with the report?”

“No its okay. Thanks though.”

“No problem. Well I got to get going. See ya around.”

And he was gone. I still never got his name that day but I figured I would see him many times so it never got to me.

I went back to my apartment and it was empty again. I didn’t mind though. I called Myungsoo and told him I was finished. He said that his shift was ending soon and that he was going to take me out to eat. We hung up and I continued to unpack from the trip. I took out the photo album and looked though it. There were many pictures of me and Kayla all around Los Angeles. I noticed the picture of me eating my first American hot dog. I giggled to myself. I was going to miss California….

I heard the horn from his car and put away the album to the side. I ran outside and gave Myungsoo a hug. It was something we normally did every time we saw it each other. Made us feel like we haven’t seen each other for a long time and makes the moment more special but this time the hug wasn’t sincere. He gave me a quick pat on the back and hurried over to the driver’s seat. He didn’t even open my door like he use too. Maybe he was getting tired of doing all that stuff after 2 years of dating and I could understand that.

I sat in the passenger seat and listen to him ramble on about his day and how his boss is being annoying. I went to the music store where he worked about only twice the whole time we have been dating. He said that his boss doesn’t like it when employees bring in their girlfriends, keeps them from doing their work, but I think there’s another reason.

His phone rang and after the phone rang once he immediately picked it up.

“Oh, really? Okay I’ll see you there.”

He looked at me and did his puppy dog face.

“Babe, I have to go back to work. I’ll take you eat tomorrow. Sorry.”

I looked at him and tried not to show my disappointed face. He dropped me off on the side of the rode and gave me 5 bucks to take the bus back home. I told him that it was okay and that ill just walk. There were places I need to go. He said that he was sorry and he gave me a quick kiss on the cheek and then he was off.

I walked down the street and saw there was a library. I walked in and sat down. I took out my Romeo and Juliet book and figured I better finish it so I can do my report tonight. My phone was buzzing and I looked at it. It was a text from Myungsoo saying he was sorry. I texted him back saying it was okay and put my phone away.

Someone tapped me on the shoulder. I looked up and it was him.

“Ah! Gum guy!”

“Huh? I have a name you know. Its Woohyun.”

“Woohyun….”

“Well, have you eaten yet?”

“Um, not yet.”

“Let’s go eat. I know a really yummy restaurant.”

“Um, sure.”

I put my book away and followed him down a few blocks to this small restaurant. It was completely packed though and we had to wait in line for out turn. It was okay because we got a chance to talk and I found out that he went to California to visit is sister. He’s 20 years old, one year older than me. He wanted to major in music but his parents opposed so now he’s majoring in business and foreign affairs. His dad passed away when he was 8 and his mom now lives alone. He occasionally visits Busan when he has the time.

We finally got our table, ordered our food and talked some more. The more I talked to him the more I realized how amazing his life was. It was all planned out, completely mapped. He was going to graduate get married and move to Japan to do his job, while my life was still a blur. What is going to happen for me? Am I going to stay with Myungsoo, move in together, continue living with his lies?

I thanked him for the meal and took out my cell phone and called Myungsoo. He didn’t pick up so I decided to take the bus to his work and surprise him. I told Woohyun that I was going to visit my boyfriend at his job and that I would see him tomorrow at school. He asked where he worked and I said a music store about 10 minutes away by bus. He said that he was headed that why and he would accompany me on the bus.

We got on the bus and sat in the back. He took out his ipod and closed his eyes. I was curious as to what he was listening too so I leaned in close to him. I guess he sensed that I was staring and opened his eyes.

“What are you doing?”

I backed away from him and cleared my throat.

“Oh, um nothing.”

He smiled and looked out the window.

The bus stopped at the corner of the music store and we both got off. Woohyun was curious as to where my boyfriend was working so he followed over to the music store. I went inside and didn’t see that he was in there. I went to the register where this guy was standing cleaning a guitar. I asked him where Myungsoo was and he said that Myungsoo hasn’t been there all day. I was shocked and confused. I thanked the man and walked outside.

“Is he in there?”

“The guy said he hasn’t been there all day.”

“Oh.”

I thought to myself where could he be. I told Woohyun that he didn’t have to follow me around anymore and that I was going to look for Myungsoo. He said he liked the adventure and agreed to come with me. I didn’t mind having him there. Made me feel more safe.

We walked a couple blocks and I noticed this couple in front of a coffee shop making out. And then I heard his voice.

“Babe, you are the best.”

“Oppa! No, you are!”

She nudged him a little bit and kissed him again on the lips. I stood there dumbfounded and I couldn’t move for about 3 minutes. I guess Woohyun seemed to notice that I looked like an idiot staring at them and finally caught to attention who that girl was kissing. He put his arm around my shoulders and we walked away. I was in shock, the tears were already rolling down my face.

“Its going to be okay. That guy is a jerk and doesn’t realize that he has someone amazing.”

I didn’t listen to him. I felt like such a loser. An idiot. What made him not love me anymore? Was I not pretty? Was he already bored of me? I continued to walk but I couldn’t take it anymore. I dropped down the floor, hands covering my face and crying. Crying as hard as I can. Woohyun bent down and patted my back.

“Its okay…..Cry.”