Chapter Nine

A Spell Most Peculiar

Author's note: I'm sick today so I haven't read over this chapter as thoroughly as usual. Please forgive any mistakes.

 


 

Saturday comes around and he’s so tired his master has to shake him awake before shooing him off early.

For the last couple of months, Daesung has been spending his Sundays at the shop too, despite it being closed.  Some of the more ritualistic components and some of the magic required in wand crafting isn’t exactly something that can be stopped or paused whenever a customer enters the shop, so most of it is done either after hours or during that one day. At the beginning he wouldn’t have understood much and it may have even been dangerous for him to be there but now he’s studied enough to slowly follow along the process and quietly observe.

It’s incredibly fascinating and he’s thankful for the opportunity but between one less free day, the studying, an increasing amount of customers and finding time to socialize he’s beginning to think his next day off is going to be spent face down on the bed, catching up on sleep.  He wishes, anyway, Daesung promised he’d go visit his parents on the next one, but they won’t mind if he only shows up sometime in the afternoon so he can sleep in at least. His limbs are sluggish, close to aching with tiredness but that’s quickly pushed aside once he catches sight of the figure waiting for him outside The Leaky Cauldron.

“Youngbae!” the man barely has enough time to turn before Daesung is pouncing on him, laughing all the while. Youngbae laughs, too, arms firmly around him as they spin together like a bunch of kids, only stopping once the wavering momentum makes them both almost fall down.  His face looks healthier, not as pale as before, and the dark circles under his eyes don’t seem as deep. Daesung laughs once more as strong fingers carefully tug on his new hair, answering his friend’s curious gaze with a shrug before finally stepping out of their hug.

“You look better, Youngbae!”

“And you look tired, Daesung. Have you been sleeping well?”

Ah, straight into mother-hen mode. It’s only been a couple of weeks since they’ve seen each other but it always feels like forever after spending six years around one another. Daesung reassures him he’ll try and sleep more as they turn around and make their way into the pub. It’s as dingy and dark as ever with several layers of smoke slowly drifting towards the ceiling and hotter than usual as there’s an actual crowd today. Most of them seem to be a good mood, he notices, as they stand in the queue to use the fireplace.

Apparating is still a problem for him and while side-apparition is alright, Youngbae is nothing if not considerate so they’re using the Floo today instead. Daesung goes first, clearly shouting “Hogsmeade!” before he’s engulfed by dust, fire and magic, thrown out almost into the middle of the street, managing to regain his footing just in time. His former housemate comes stumbling after him, a bit less gracefully since he’s not very used to travelling like this but straightens himself up quickly, throwing a smile his way.

By the time they get to The Three Broomsticks Seungri is already waiting for them outside, clad in robes more casual and day-to-day than stylish, for once. Daesung turns to Youngbae, presses a single finger to his lips and waits for his friend’s solemn nod before tip toeing his way over. The Gryffindor is looking up and far away, brows slightly furrowed, obviously thinking about something deep enough to not hear anything. His contemplative silence is interrupted but a loud sound of protest as Daesung throws both arms around his shoulders and pulls him backwards, ruffling his hair affectionately.

Seungri hits him in the arm, whining at him to let go through his laughter. Eventually they break apart and he catches Youngbae’s clearly amused eyes, gesturing for him to come closer. “That’s my friend Youngbae, he was with me in Hufflepuff,” said man nods, welcoming smile on his face. “Youngbae this is Seunghyun-“ Seungri’s nose scrunches like it usually does whenever he’s introduced to someone before he interrupts, extending his hand.

“Just call me Seungri. Gryffindor,” they go through this every single time so Daesung just smiles and shrugs helplessly at Youngbae who nods understandingly and takes the offered hand. “It’s nice to meet you,” after a few questions to see if everyone is okay they make their way inside. It’s brightly lit, in contrast to the earlier pub, and there’s no smoke steadily pilling up but it’s also somehow a lot more crowded.

As usual, however, Seungri knows someone and gets them sitting at a table rather quickly. The older Hufflepuff seems rather impressed but the younger has known the interviewer long enough to just accept this without question. It’s practically a universal law at this point: owls deliver mail, the Chudley Cannons will never win the League and Seungri always either has an in or knows someone who does. It’s probably what makes him so good at his job.

Daesung had secretly worried that they wouldn’t get along very well – despite having no reason for it – or that the conversation would be too stilled but that doesn’t end up happening. Seungri breaks the initial awkwardness by launching into one of his outlandish but true stories, carefully leaving out any names. This time it’s about how recently, someone managed to enchant the decorative armor suits standing around Hogwarts to start singing old sea chants whenever a Professor passes by them. He swears it’s all true, even sings a few to them, causing both s of his audience to literally wheeze with laughter.

It takes them quite a few minutes to calm down, the butterbeers arriving just as their chuckles are fading. While firewhiskey is something Daesung probably never wants to see again, butterbeer is incredibly mild and he doesn’t mind having it with friends, especially when it’s cold. Youngbae takes his turn next, telling them about some of the patient’s children and what they get up to in St. Mungo’s, how one person managed to come in with every single hair spelled a different colour and another one stumbled in talking only in ancient greek during the last week. Most of his stories are funny, light-hearted and he purposefully avoids talking about the heavier stuff.

During his turn, Daesung isn’t quite sure what to say. It feels quite dull in comparison because he hasn’t had much time for himself lately although he does admit to having bumped into Seunghyun again and having made friends with him, causing Seungri to bark out a laugh. Youngbae looks confused but the apprentice wandmaker clarifies who they’re talking about – “No not this one, Seunghyun Choi, remember him? Slytherin, year above you?” – before reaching over to punch the still snickering Gryffindor in the shoulder. There’s little else on his part to report but he and Seungri do go over the press party event, despite Youngbae having heard about it in Daesung’s letters.

The conversation is just about to turn to Quidditch when he remembers Seunghyun’s invitation, panic rising in his chest as he blurts out: “what do you even wear to a Ministry event?” Both of his friends abruptly stop talking and turn to face him, understandably surprised.  He flushes a little, rubbing the back of his neck. “Uhm, Seunghyun asked me to attend the one on Halloween but I’ve never been to one…” Youngbae shakes his head slightly, eyes apologetic. He hasn’t been to any either and hasn’t the foggiest. Seungri, on the other hand, seems to be thinking again, tapping his fingers against the table before nodding. “I know someone who can help.”

He decides right there and then that he’s never going to make jokes about his friend knowing half the world ever again. Alright, that’s a lie, he’s still going to make them but insists on getting him another butterbeer as thanks at least. Money for fancy formal robes is another problem but he can probably get his parents to help out if he makes it his early Christmas gift this year or something. “Daesung?” he snaps out of his thoughts, focusing his gaze on Youngbae’s concerned face, feeling a hand land on top of his and squeeze lightly. “Do you not want to go?” What? Of course he- “You sounded… upset.”

Oh. Trust his friend to pick up on every single thing.  Daesung isn’t actually upset. He does really want to attend and spending time with Seunghyun is always pleasant. “Uhm… well…” he takes a sip out of his drink, giving himself a few seconds to put his thoughts in order. “Seunghyun and Jiyong usually go to these things together. Jiyong can’t come this time, so…” his voice trails off. How exactly is he going to explain this without outright saying it and sounding incredibly juvenile? It’s not like he’s going to scribble their initials in little hearts at the corners of parchment like he had done with some of his crushes during school but still…

The other two are still staring at him expectantly. He’s half surprised Youngbae hasn’t asked who Jiyong is but then remembers they were in the same year and had classes together so it’s normal that he knows who they’re talking about. The random thought doesn’t help him and he’s still not sure of how to proceed when his former housemate suddenly smiles at him, letting out a small “ah” and leaning back on his chair. “What?” Seungri asks, taking turns to look at each of them like a spectator in a tennis match before repeating himself: “what?”

After another round of staring, his eyes land on him and stop, brows shooting up high and grin spreading across his face before he loudly goes “oooooohhhhh!” prompting Daesung’s face to turn a bright red as he kicks at his legs under the table. Youngbae is no help, smile turning mischievous as he asks if Seunghyun is being a gentleman, causing Seungri to burst into laughter again. His fingers close around the butterbeer and cradle it to his chest as he sinks low in his seat, cheeks flushed and feeling somewhat like a petulant child.

He’s starting to think introducing them was a terrible mistake.