Chapter Thirty-Eight

A Spell Most Peculiar

Author's note: final chapter. More words at the end.

 


 

There is a school of thought that believes love to be magic.

Not figuratively but literally, that believes love is an actual active magical force. It’s a very esoteric subject, not something you’re likely to hear discussed outside of a few very specific circles. Daesung had been fascinated by how magic could possibly work when he was younger but his arithmancy had never been strong enough for him to pursue magical theory. Still, he remembers being so very surprised to learn about that entire discussion around love.

An arm sneaks around his shoulder, startling him out of his thoughts, and the bark of laughter in his ear lets him know exactly who decided to lean on him. Daesung shakes his head, eyes full of mirth as he turns to stare at Seungri who is already holding a glass of firewhiskey, babbling about something on another, taking the usual care to talk only about harmless thing and omit any names. The Hufflepuff listens half-heartedly, amused grin plastered on his face, brow rising sharply at the figure making its way towards them.

“Here comes the fancy boyfriend, Seungri.”

“Mine or yours?”

He pokes his younger friend in the ribs, making him jump back with a laugh and a grin, free hand coming up to protect his ticklish sides. The smile on Jiyong’s face fades into something soft and gentle as his gaze settles on the interviewer, eyes lightening up in affection. It almost makes Daesung feel like an intruder but he manages to keep his facial expression from giving anything away until the Ravenclaw curls an arm around his boyfriend’s back and leans down to reply: “that would be yours.”

Predictably the whispers break out, although most people at least try to pretend like they’re not staring. Jiyong and Seungri made their relationship public recently and he’s glad that at least they were able to do it on their own terms. The press had, of course, been relentless but their closest friends and family all supported them and did their best to help out. He and Seunghyun met with them often for advice, having gone through the same thing, and Youngbae’s apartment became sort of an unofficial hiding place for all of them.

The glint in Jiyong’s eyes turns incredibly mischievous as he turns his boyfriend slightly to plant a kiss on his nose, causing the youngest to actually blush and start sputtering something or another and it’s so, so funny seeing his usually smooth and easy going friend flushing – even while retorting with something flirty – that Daesung just outright laughs, grabbing onto his stomach and getting a swat to his arm in protest.

He doesn’t tease them too badly before moving the conversation to the upcoming Quidditch match that they’re hopefully all attending together. It was so much fun last time that they’re itching to go again. Besides, it’s going to be Seungri’s favourite team playing – Daesung is the only one who has seen him when they’re participating in a match and he’s absolutely looking forward to seeing it again. It’s quite honestly both embarrassing and endearing.

The music changes and Jiyong is promptly dragged off to the dance floor with barely enough time to wave goodbye. He waves back, laughing and shaking his head, eyes almost disappearing from the strength of his smile. They look genuinely happy and that’s incredible to see; it’s good that they’re making it work despite being busy. And honestly, now he sort of gets why Seungri made fun of him everytime he got flustered around Seunghyun.

“There go the lovebirds.”

Apparently his shoulders are a very popular resting place today because they’ve barely been free for a few seconds before another arm is being placed across them. Chuckling under his breath, Daesung looks slightly down at his housemate with a grin before not-so-discretely looking around them and causing Youngbae to laugh.

“Nice try, Daesung. You only invited me, remember?”

“You could have asked for another invitation.”

The older Hufflepuff chuckles and shakes his head, staring out at the people dancing in front of them, left foot subconsciously tapping along to the beat. It clashes a bit with his responsible, prefect image but Youngbae was known as a great dancer in the privacy of the Hufflepuff tower – just because they preach responsibility and moderation doesn’t mean they never celebrate or even have parties on occasion.

“Too early. Maybe I’ll bring her around to the Quidditch match… if you all promise to behave.”

“Her?”

Youngbae laughs a little but shakes his head, still staring ahead and completely ignoring the apprentice’s curious looks. Not that Daesung is insisting, really, the trainee healer will tell them when he wants to, if he wants to. All of them are curious but none of them wish to intrude on his privacy too much, they’ve all learned the value of that this year. The older man lets out a thoughtful sort of noise before patting him in the shoulder twice and moving ahead.

“Where are you doing?”

“Dancing!”

His eyes follow him until he disappears into the crowd.  Daesung doesn’t quite know where they are, it seems the Ministry has an endless amount of ball rooms – or perhaps it’s the same one and they just enchant it to look entirely different each time, he wouldn’t be surprised. This one looks a bit like the inside of a fancy mansion with white floors and white columns placed in the corners and a huge, white staircase in the middle, the only splashes of colour coming from the myriad of flowers – some magical, some not – serving as decoration.

It’s the Spring Ball, so it makes sense. Making a mental note to ask about the room later he starts walking in the opposite direction to Youngbae, moving not to the dance floor but to the balcony, pausing to greet and smile and compliment a number of people on the way, joking with the ones he knows best. Unfortunately that includes that very unpleasant couple but Daesung makes sure to give them an extra bright smile and ignores the animosity in their sharp gazes. It doesn’t matter that they’re still very vocal in their beliefs and opinions of him, he won’t sink to their level.

The fresh, still chilly hair hits his face once he gets to the open balcony proper and he shrinks a little into his robes for warmth. It can’t be an actual balcony, especially not one that overlooks such a vast garden since not only are they in the middle of London but they’re also underground. The night sky isn’t real either but both it and the cold certainly feel real enough.

These thoughts preoccupy him until he spots the one person he’s been looking for and a smile overtakes his face as he steps closer, taking his time to look him over since there’s hardly anyone around. He’s grown used enough to Seunghyun’s features that they don’t distract him so much in the middle of conversation anymore but there are still moments when his breath hitches at the sight of him, and this is one of them. High cheekbones, chiseled and sharp jaw, intense eyes, full button lip, like something out of a painting.

A recollection of his face when they first bumped into each other in the Alley flashes across his mind – he was just as gorgeous then but now, somehow, he seems even more so. Perhaps because he’s come to know the person behind that image, perhaps because he knows that Seungyun loves ice cream and can’t dance, that he takes a walk with his mother every other day in the garden, that he always grumps just a little when he has to get up earlier than usual, that he doesn’t understand the fascination with Quidditch. The painting was pretty but Daesung much prefers the living, breathing, human man standing before him.

“Seunghyun.”

The pureblood immediately turns at the sound of his voice, lips blossoming into a smile, one of the dimples showing as he gestures to him. Daesung smiles back, slipping his hands into his boyfriend’s with casual familiarity. The pensive look on Seunghyun’s face has been replaced by open adoration but there’s still something flickering behind his gaze, something that makes his own breath quicken and his heart to do a happy little dance inside his own chest.

“What are you thinking about?”

“… I love you.”

He blinks. Despite the last few months this is the first time one of them has said it. They wanted it to have meaning, wanted to wait until they were absolutely sure and felt ready to say it – and there had been absolutely no hesitation in Seunghyun’s voice. No shyness either which is a little surprising.  Really nothing but affection and certainty and Daesung breathes out slowly before joining their lips together.

It starts out gentle but soon enough the kiss turns a little less soft, relief and giddiness and love poured into it. He regrets that he can’t show him exactly how he feels, he regrets that the kiss has to be chaste, he regrets that they’re in public even if there aren’t a lot of people near them. Later they’ll sit down and say it again and talk about it, later they’ll celebrate, but for now he smiles brightly as they part, cheeks flushing in happiness.

“I love you too.”

It doesn’t sound forced. Daesung feels no anxiety about this and if anything surprises him, it’s the fact he feels absolutely ready to say it. Seunghyun let’s go of his hands to tug him closer, wrapping both arms around his waist and placing a lingering, sweet kiss on his forehead. This isn’t really all that proper but the apprentice can’t bring himself to care and merely hums, letting the warmth of their embrace wash over him as his mind returns to its earlier thoughts.

Daesung doesn’t know if love is actually a brand of magic that no one has been able to figure out yet. But he does know that right here, right now, he feels like it’s something quite incredible and magical in its own way, that whenever he’s in Seunghyun’s presence the world shines just a little bit brighter, his heart beats faster and his spirit feels lighter, like he’s been placed under the most wonderful and peculiar of spells.

 


 

Final author's note: HURRAY! How is that for a cheesy ending? (Yes, I've wanted to write that final paragraph since I started writing this thing and had to come up with a title.)

So this is the end of this story folks, thank you so so much for the words of love and support you've thrown my way since the very first chapter, I can't begin to tell you how much they mean to me. I hope this managed to make you all smile at least once and I hope you've enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it. Word tells me this is over 70000 words so that was quite the journey.

As a final note, for those of you who liked this setting and these characters, you may want to keep an eye out for something next week/in the next few days (although not Sunday, I have HCW to update).

Again, thank you so much~!