Chapter Thirty-Five

A Spell Most Peculiar

Author's note: getting close to the ending now. Please enjoy~ 

 


 

“Do you believe us to be bad people, Daesung?”

It’s a good thing he’s used to maneuvering on top of ladders or else he might have stumbled. As it stands, his foot lands firmly on the step before his brain stops to consider the unexpected question. Blinkingly, he turns his head to look at Seunghyun’s mother sitting serenely back at the table, flipping the pages of the book carefully with gentle and calm fingers, looking closely at the cursive word.

They hadn’t planned on it but he and Sehunghyun ended up spending the night together. It had been happening more frequently lately, mostly because they liked the act of actually sleeping afterwards. There is little that makes his heart beat so loud as seeing his boyfriend’s face first thing in the morning or feel his arms around him, or hear Seunghyun’s own heart beating below his ears. He wakes up first but it’s never long before long, slightly cold fingers are gently brushing against his face and he’s kissing them in return with a genuine smile.

They wake up fairly early because it’s never really been planned and they both need to go to work. Today the apprentice hadn’t actually needed to go but they hadn’t gotten around to explaining the progress in their relationship to Seunghyun’s parents – mostly because they weren’t sure how to broach the subject – so he had prepared to leave until a house elf popped into the room and informed them Lady Choi had requested the presence of her son and his boyfriend at the breakfast table.

The feeling of embarrassment that had run through him quickly dissipated at the mortified look on the Slytherin’s face, a pink flush suddenly appearing on his cheeks and his fingers clutching the sheets like he wanted to hide behind them, causing Daesung to chuckle and go to him, leaning over the bed to kiss him gently and coax him out of that state. Honestly, the man had no problems standing up to pureblood society and staring it straight in the eye for him, but his parents knowing they were having immediately caused him to feel fifteen again?

Maybe the fact the Hufflepuff’s own parents about it openly had made him more at ease because relationships and had never been much of a big deal. It didn’t mean he wanted to discuss details with them or anything but he could if he wanted to, it wasn’t really a subject to be avoided or embarrassed about. He thought that the fact the elf had called for both of them was Seunghyun’s mother’s way of teasing her own son about it, letting them know she was fully aware of what they had been doing, almost like a figurative wink in their direction.

To his credit he did manage to seem almost normal during breakfast, making calm conversation with his parents and keeping his straight face – being only betrayed by how pink his ears were for the entire meal. Daesung knew he hadn’t helped any by not looking at him directly and biting down on his lips to keep from laughing or smiling too much. The older couple had not said a word about the entire thing but there was an undeniable undertone of amusement to their every word and the glint occasionally showing up in their eyes made it seem like they were enjoying their awkwardness.

Seunghyun’s father had retreated to his study afterwards to deal with family business and Seunghyun himself had left for his job but while Daesung had been considering what he could do on his day off the Lady of the manor had asked him if he could stay and spend the day with her. Having no pressing matters to attend to or anyone in particular to hang out with, he’d readily agree. Besides, he did enjoy her company since they usually ended up talking about runes.

As they inevitably had. She invited him into the Choi family’s library, which was quite the generous gesture on her part. Old purebloods tended to guard those quite closely since they tended to have a lot of very old, very precious books, as well as records and a lot of secrets from some types of craft and ancient magic. He had accepted and bowed repeatedly to her, entirely too excited at the prospect. She chuckled as they laced arms and made their way there, casually chatting on the day.

It wasn’t the biggest library he had ever seen but it was still pretty large and he had lost himself in the stacks in a measure of minutes but hadn’t moved anything without permission even when Seunghyun’s mother had assured him the unlocked bookshelves were free for his perusal. That is where they had been for a few hours now, making intense conversation about runes and carvings and how their uses had changed throughout the centuries in between prolonged bouts of silence caused by reading.

He blinks again, stepping down from the ladder while clutching a book and then making his way back to the table they’ve been occupying.  There are more books stacked on one side of it, a plate full of sandwiches and refilling teacups in the other since they don’t really feel like having a proper lunch or going all the way back to the dining hall. The question echoes around his head but he still can’t make sense of it.

“… what?”

“For not supporting the muggleborn movement sooner. Surely you are aware we have chosen a side because of you and your relationship with our son?”

Oh. Right. That. Daesung bites down on his tongue, looking at the table and forcing himself to seriously consider the question instead of immediately saying he doesn’t have a problem with it… because does he? They had done nothing but stand behind the both of them and he’s more than thankful for it but it had been done out of slightly selfish reasons – well, as selfish as standing behind your son could ever be.

“… no, not really.”

“Truly?” she seems genuinely curious, not upset, and her previous question had been matter-of-fact rather than cold or accusing.

“I… would have preferred your stance or rather, the stance of House Choi to have been made earlier.  I understand why it didn’t, but I would have liked it for that to be the case,” of course Daesung would have liked them to stand on his side of the muggleborn debate because it’s the right thing to do, because the system as it stands is still unjust. At the same time he can understand staying neutral and seeing how the discourse proceeds, he can understand trying to protect yourself and your own or being hesitant to disturb a system that benefits you, even if he doesn’t agree with it. But still…

“But still, you have supported me and my relationship with Se- the Heir Apparent. You didn’t have to. And you didn’t have to step into this debate or support me because of that but you did. The decision may have come late and it may not have been made for the most selfless of reasons but… you believe it now, don’t you?”

“Indeed.”

“Then I’m alright with it.”

Silence settles between them as he squirms a little in his seat and picks up his tea cup to take a sip. Daesung could have lied but, for one, he’s never liked lying and his honesty is one of his better qualities. For another thing… he just doesn’t want to. He’d like to be honest with Seunghyun’s family instead of walking around on eggshells if that’s at all possible, even if he needs to pick his words carefully and still be formal.

“… I see. Thank you, Daesung.”

He chokes on his drink, sputtering into the cup gracelessly as a house elf pops in next to him and starts strongly patting his back. It works after a couple of hits and he thanks her for the help before turning to look at Seunghyun’s mother again in slight disbelief. It’s not every day that he had the Lady of a Most Noble and Ancient House genuinely thanking him for anything, much less an answer that could have been taken quite badly.

“… you’re welcome? Uhm, thank you? I mean-“ how is he supposed to answer that?

The Lady chuckles, mirth swimming in her eyes as she gestured for him to stop talking and he takes her advice, clearing his throat in a manner far too close to Seunghyun’s although Daesung doesn’t really realize it. She’s staring at him in affection but also amusement – in fact, she’s looking at him almost the same exact way his Ancient Runes teacher used to whenever he gave them a trick question.

Abruptly he realizes that her question had been a test. Of what, he couldn’t tell, but by her reaction he had probably passed somehow. “You… Lady Choi, if I may ask… were you in Slytherin during your times at Hogwarts?”

“Indeed,” ah. Well, that explains it, he thinks, smiling despite himself, glancing down at his tea. Seunghyun resembles his father in a lot of ways, especially when it comes to his composure and the way he holds himself – and his inability to dance, if his boyfriend’s words are to be believed – but the way he assesses situation must have been her work. His father’s attitude, his mother’s mind?

“You do realize there are still quite a few obstacles ahead of you.”

“I do.”

“And you’re willing to brave them?”

“We got through the last few months and came out stronger for them.”

“… brave words for someone not belonging to the House of the Lion.”

He laughs a little, relaxing at she steers the conversation to a more comfortable topic. This is something he’s used to. Not that Daesung thinks she’s belittling his house but a lot of people seem to underestimate Hufflepuff on a daily basis. Just because they tend to choose to avoid conflict doesn’t mean they can’t handle it or won’t if they think it’s necessary. A genuinely smile blossoms across his face at the thought.

“No, but I’m a Hufflepuff. We’re loyal, we work hard… and we’re horribly stubborn when we have to be.”