Chapter Twenty

A Spell Most Peculiar

Author's note: As a warning, I'm caring for a sick family member so I don't know if I'll be able to update tomorrow.

That's pretty much it, please enjoy~ 

 


 

The loud banging at his door startles him awake.

Bleary eyes slowly blink awake as Daesung groans and tries to bury his face into the pillow. The wand at the bedside table is promptly snatched before being swished around in a lazy fashion. He chances a look, squinting at the bright blue numbers glaring back at him. 1:00 AM.  For a few seconds his brain is too hazy to understand what that means but then his head falls back into the pillow, another groan escaping him.

Whoever is knocking at his door seems insistent because they’re still doing it. An uncharacteristic surge of irritation rushes up his spine as he begrudgingly gets up from bed and moves towards the darkness of the living room, wand clutched tightly in his hand. Honestly, who in the name of Merlin is making such a ruckus at this hour and at his door, of all places? D-Lite hoots in indignation from his perch and he finds himself grumpily agreeing with the owl.

The door is barely opened for a moment before someone barges their way in, gesticulating wildly and talking like it’s midafternoon and not this ungodly hour. His first impulse is to jump back, wand raised slightly at the figure in suspicions but lowering when they don’t seem to notice his apprehension or make any dangerous gestures. Instead they keep on talking as his brain desperately attempts to catch on to what is happening.

“Why do you have all the lights off, Daesung?”

… wait. He knows that voice. With a very tired, disgruntled sign, he waves his wand again, lights suddenly turning on to revealed his friend’s beaming face. The chiding comment dies at the tip of his tongue once he registers what the other man is wearing. Robes, obviously, but the top part certainly takes inspiration from muggle suits; it’s dark and more serious than expected but looks just as trendy as usual. Elegant and yet they don’t even compare to the splendor that is the grin being sent his way so Daesung sighs again, feeling most of his complaints evaporate with it.

“Seungri. It’s-“

“I just got back from a date!”

“… I’ll go make some tea.”

 D-Lite walks back and forth on the kitchen counter, still utterly disgruntled – even more so at his “aren’t you an owl? shouldn’t you be out and about at this time?” joke – and making sharp clicks of affront with his beak. Unlike fetching his keys or dusting his clothes, making tea and food isn’t something Daesung forgets he can use magic for but something he just prefers doing on his own. It takes better that way, for him, but that may just be in his head. Maybe it’s because the act of actually pouring the tea is calming in itself.

Seungri is still absolutely buzzing when he accepts the drink. They sit down on the couch and make themselves comfortable on either end of it. The Hufflepuff watches in amusement as his friend shifts to the left and to the right, bounces one of his legs up and down, switches the cup between both hands. He absolutely can’t sit still and straight, practically vibrating with a sort of happy, nervous energy. Daesung almost smirks, taking sips out of his hot drink and merely staring, wanting to see how long he could wait before just bursting into conversation again.

“I went on a date!” forty seconds, that’s short even for him.

“So you’ve said. Jiyong finally asked?”

“You’ll never guess! It was Jiyong, he-“ his words abruptly cut off, eyes narrowing at him. Neither of them speak for a long beat and then Daesung smiles innocently, prompting the interview to kick at him from the other end of the couch with something close to a shriek. Both of them promptly descend into fighting and bickering, trying to shove and kick at each other without spilling their tea over anything. Some of it lands on the couch but it’s quickly spelled away. It takes them a few minutes to settle down and once they do Seungri stares a him accusingly. “You knew!”

“Payback. Did he take you to Madam Puddifoot’s after all?”

“Yes! It was perfect, they have these little Christmas decorations this time of year, there was this mistletoe that-“ Seungri cuts himself off again, gapping at him for a second before another round of kicking starts. Daesung laughs as his friend indignantly asks him how he could just reveal his secrets like that, how he could just tell Jiyong about that tea shop. The only answer he gets are playful shrugs and vague comments about him doing the meddling with Seunghyun first.

D-Lite sits on the perch with his back to them, clearly shunning both of the humans present. The Hufflepuff just leans back, still sipping his tea, head lying back on the arm rest and watching quietly as Seungri starts rambling about Jiyong’s thoughtfulness and his manners and his face and his hair and his sense of style and a million other things that don’t really register. He vaguely wonders if he sounds this bad whenever he talks about his own boyfriend. Actually, on that note… “so are you two dating now?”

That seems to stop the rambling. The younger man’s mouth remains open for a second longer before closing with a loud snap, his attitude abruptly shifting from eager and outgoing to unusually shy and uncertain, something that hasn’t happened since around Hogwarts or so. Daesung feels both his brows rise up high in his forehead and sits up, taking care to place his mug on the coffee table before reaching over to squeeze their hands together.  “Hey, I’m sure it’ll be okay. Can you ask him next time?”

“… do you think there will be a next time?”

He can’t help the snort that escapes him at the question but it works in getting Seungri to smiles a little, even if he shoves him back. Daesung wonders if this is how Youngbae felt when it had been him feeling uncertain and anxious and decides he really should get his friend a very nice gift this year for all that he’s had to put up with. Maybe they are a little bit like a TV drama after all. “Trust me, there will be a next time.”

Seungri nods, still a bit shy but seeming satisfied with his answer before turning back to his drink. A comfortable silence settles over them for a few long, drawn out moments. The apprentice runs a hand through his own hair in an unconscious gesture, making a note to tell Seunghyun about this and probably tease Jiyong. Maybe even ask what his intentions are. Hah. Ooh, he could even get Youngbae to do the stern gaze and the bring-him-home-safe speech next time, they could do it together!

A chuckle escapes him at the thought, even as he leans back down, head bumping slightly against the back of the couch.  The unexpected arrival and the following conversation had woken him up some but his attentiveness is starting to fade and the tea isn’t nearly strong enough to combat the exhaustion he feels. Something heavy and slow settles over his limbs, his eyelids close tiredly in the silence of the apartment. It really is to be expected, with how late it is and-

“… Seungri, it’s one AM. Why did you just get here now?” his tone is equal parts curious and suspicious. His friend does his best to put on a sweet, angelic and innocent sort of look, which only succeeds in making Daesung narrows his eyes and poke him repeatedly with his foot until the other man relents, barking out a laugh and putting both hands up in a mock gesture of surrender.

“Nothing happened, I swear! We got a bit carried away talking so we got off the shop late and ended up having dinner somewhere else. Then we sort of took a walk…” Seungri’s voice trails off as his eyes turn somewhere towards the left, clearly lost in a fond memory already. The older man smiles gently, curling a little more into the couch and watching him go off to La La Land. It’s good to see him like this, especially after seeing him hurt and drunk that one time. He considers asking about that, if they’ve talked about it, but figures he’ll get an answer eventually.

“I’m glad you seem happy, Seungri,” he is, truly. Even knowing he’s going to probably receive three feet of parchment tomorrow at work explaining how and why Jiyong is absolutely perfect. He knows Seungri well enough to know that when he falls for someone, he becomes completely enraptured. It’s kind of cute to see, actually. “But it’s still one in the morning and I have work in a couple of works.”

Warm eyes blink, slowly focusing and turning to him. He can see the wheels turning inside his friend’s head before it clicks, making a frown tug at his mouth. Seungri’s apologizing for his thoughtlessness before Daesung can reassure him that it’s okay. They talk for only a couple of more minutes, go and wash the kettle and the mugs before quietly making their way to the fireplace in the ground floor.

It’s only after the Gryffindor is off, safe and sound and probably already in his own home, that Daesung realizes he hadn’t even bothered throwing some sort of robe on. The benefits of magic and all, the entire building is covered in protection and temperature charms. He’s not entirely sure on how it works but as long as it keeps working he’s not too bothered by not knowing.

D-Lite offers him another scornful hoot once he steps in, but pipes down after Daesung leaves a few treats near him as an apology. Despite the tiredness settling over him, he feels pretty happy. Most of the anxiety he had been feeling lately, due to either his own feelings or the ones of his friends, seems to have left him after this conversation. There’s a smile on his face when he presses it against the pillow once more, laughing at the last thought that crosses his mind before he falls asleep.

Does he sounds as bad as Seungri whenever he’s talking about Seunghyun?