Chapter Twenty-Eight

A Spell Most Peculiar

Daesung hadn’t slept this terribly since his N.E.W.Ts.

His body was exhausted, of course, but his mind kept him from even thinking about being able to get some rest. He had tossed and turned and tossed some more and gave up about around four in the morning because sleep just clearly wasn’t happening anytime soon and it was probably best to occupy himself with something instead of worrying in bed.

Thus began an adventure in cleaning his entire apartment at some ungodly hour, the muggle way no less. Sometimes the best way to keep your mind off things isn’t study or entertainment but to busy yourself with menial labour. His wand is inside his pocket like usual but he only uses it to check the time periodically.

Daesung finishes wiping down the low cupboard before leaning back to rest on his knees, a hand reaching to his back as he stretches a little. So far he’s found three pens, two quills, part of a Quidditch broom cleaning kit – when did he even get that? Did Youngbae leave it around? – two muggle books with bent spines and a slinky of all things stuffed into tight corners and lying forgotten around the apartment.

A quick Tempus spell lets him know it’s about time to leave for work so the Hufflepuff gets off the floor with a slight pained groan, ignoring D-Lite staring at him like he’s gone insane. His stomach feels far too queasy for him to attempt eating breakfast so Daesung settles for just a glass of pumpkin juice before making his way over to the mirror.

He looks, in a word, terrible. His hair looks ruffled even after he tries to tame it, his face looks pale, his eyes are bloodshot and there’s sweat dripping down his neck from all that effort. A shower would probably be a good idea but he lost track of the time and so settles for a few cleaning charms as he goes around collecting his things before letting D-Lite out and leaving quietly.

There hadn’t been anymore letters or messages but then, he hadn’t sent any either. Daesung knows he probably should but he wants to see what this is about first – which, yes, means ignoring Seungri’s warning. He spent half the night considering it and, in the end, realized he wanted to know since it most likely concerned him. Not that the idea of ignoring whatever this will turn out to be isn’t tempting or anything but things aren’t likely to disappear just because you want them to.

The days have started growing slightly longer and the sun comes out sooner than it did in the previous months but it’s still early enough that it’s almost pitch black which gives him a fair bit of comfort as he picks up the daily edition of the Prophet from the usual stall, despite it not being Friday. The young woman responsible for it doesn’t even glance up, looking half-asleep on her feet, and he’s thankful for that too.

He takes a few hurried steps down the Alley, trying to keep his head down as he goes, and only pauses once he’s around the corner, leaning against the wall. Maybe his mind is making too big a deal of this but he remembers editions of the Prophet and Witch Weekly full of gossip-taken-as-fact being passed around Hogwarts. It’d be one thing if it was just the students but far too many adult wizards and witches believe in both of those publications – despite them having no journalistic integrity whatsoever – for him to be comfortable with whatever they have printed.

Finally his eyes settle on the folded newspaper in his hands. It’s right there, in the front page, in big bold letters “WIZARD IN TOP 10 ELIGIBLE BACHELORS LIST GETS SNAGGED BY MUGGLEBORN!” like it’s the news of the century.  His first thought is, absurdly, that he didn’t even know Seunghyun was on such a list, although it certainly makes sense. There’s a picture of the both of them at the Yuletide ball, smiling politely as they talk with another couple, one of the nicer ones attending.

Exhaling slowly, he forces himself to read the rest of the article. Mostly it’s just a bunch of gossip and speculation and outright lies from “insider sources close to the couple” – honestly he had not met Seunghyun while vacationing in France, he had never even been to France – with a bunch of questions about what their courtship means for the state of young purebloods today and more than a few insinuations about himself – after all, how could someone like him “ensnare” someone like the Heir Apparent of House Choi?

The entire thing ends with a comment about Seunghyun’s longtime friend Jiyong, who is also apparently part of that ridiculous list, declining to comment on the story. His friends’ and his boyfriend’s silence suddenly makes sense. Daesung had asked about the lack of gossip regarding them to Seungri who only gave him a very vague answer. He realizes now that his friend must have been using his position in the Prophet to keep it quiet and both purebloods must have been using their influence to help.

For a second, he just stares at the paper, the printed words, the image of them looping over and over like wizarding photographs usually do. Then the apprentice sighs, rubbing a hand over his nose and shoving the newspaper under one arm – the article is so ridiculous that he’s more exasperated than nervous now. Their relationship is now public but at least they don’t seem to have a lot of accurate information about him. His parents are in the muggle world and thus out of reach and as far as he can tell all of his actual friends – and his entire House – haven’t said anything. Yet.

The tension in his shoulders slowly dissipates as he starts walking over to the shop again. A surge of uncharacteristic irritation at this entire thing burns in his chest but Daesung pushes it aside with one more sigh. His stomach is still a bit queasy but the knot of anxiety there is unwinding little by little – until he turns around another corner and sees the crowd of people surrounding Ollivanders’ door.

There’s too many of them, shouting questions over each other, some of them carry antiquated, cumbersome wizarding cameras and there are flashes going off every few seconds. He stares, frozen at the sight of that commotion. What are they doing? Do they plan on hounding him at work? Is this even legal? Although judging by how wizards go about these things they probably are and it probably is.

At least they all seem too busy shoving and trying to out shout each other to turn around and pay him any mind. Daesung tries to take advantage of this, quickly considering the situation at hand. What exactly can he do? Turning around, walking back home and writing his master a letter explaining this is an option but one he’s not too keen on. He can’t hide from the press forever and the thought of letting them intimidate him into skipping his obligations makes him straighten his shoulders defiantly, before determinedly making his way to the front.

He tries squeezing his way through rather than elbowing everyone out of the way. For a few moments he succeeds, at least until someone recognizes him and shouts a question in his direction. Most of the crowd catches on and his movements aren’t quick enough to go inside before there are three hands clutching at his arm, pulling him back. Panic rises in his chest as he shakes his limb, trying to get them off without success.

A particularly hard tug makes him stumble but then the door’s opening and the reporters’ ever louder questions and statements go silent. His master walks out, back straight and eyes narrowed, her posture and height and the saturated magic surrounding her immediately commanding the attention of everyone standing around, intimidating them. Sometimes he forgets because she’s nice to him, but despite having been technically cast out of her House, his master is considered one of the most powerful witches in Britain.

Enough,” her words are hissed yet loud in the startled silence, as sharp as her glare sweeping over the crowd. “That is my apprentice you’re manhandling. Release him,” the hands holding his arm immediately let go of him and he takes advantage of his newfound freedom by shuffling over, closer to her, with his gaze on the floor. Her commanding presence is intimidating even him. “And this is my store you’re disturbing. I do not want this commotion here. Leave.”

For a tense second nobody moves and then most of them are scrambling to get out of the way, gathering their quills and parchment and cameras, seemingly scattering in random directions. The few that stay, apparently trying to seem brave, only need to be glared at again before they too almost run away, adverting their eyes nervously and muttering under their breaths. The street seems incredibly quiet in the wake of the journalists’ retreat as they both walk inside the shop.

Daesung keeps his eyes down, dragging his feet and rubbing the sleeve of his cloak across his eyes. Suddenly exhaustion is catching up to him and settling over his every muscle, probably due to the lack of sleep and the morning’s stressful events. “I’m sorry,” his voice is low and tired and there’s a bit of guilt twisting inside his chest. The last person he wants to cause trouble for is his master or her business, really.

A moment of silence hangs between them before a hand clasps down on his shoulder. He blinks, surprised, raising his head despite not being able to see her, since she’s standing behind him. They get along perfectly well but their relationship has always been more of mentor and student rather than friends so the comforting touch startles him. “It’s not your fault, Daesung,” a pause. “Don’t let those vultures get to you.”

He wonders what kind of blacklash she’s had to deal with before for the spit word to sound so venomous but doesn’t want to ask, not when the fingers in his shoulder squeeze reassuringly, not when his eyes get slightly wet at the display of comfort that she’s willing to provide even if it feels a bit awkward. “Stay in the back room for today. I’ll handle the customers,” her voice is still firm but softer than usual and Daesung can’t do anything else except nod and move towards the door, trying to focus on his breathing.