Chapter Twenty-Six

A Spell Most Peculiar

Author's note: hope everyone had a pleasant day yesterday. Please enjoy~! 

 


 

He stares suspiciously across the table.

His parents are actually behaving. Alright so his mum had almost made Seunghyun turn blue in the face with how strongly she hugged him and his father had smiled far too cheekily before returning to the kitchen with D-Lite perched on his shoulder to finish making dinner but other than that there weren’t any overly embarrassing gestures.

Well, they both have taken turns to wink very obviously at him whenever Seunghyun has his back turned – the corners of their smiles make it seem as if they’re dying to laugh but they’re also being reasonable and courteous and maybe he feels a little bit guilty for his earlier thoughts. It’s not that they really embarrassed him in a bad way, it’s just that sometimes they can be a bit too much.

While the Slytherin wasn’t surprised by the lack of house elves, he had been surprised at a lot of things that had to be done by hand, like cooking and setting the table and fetching several things. To his credit, however, he had merely accepted it when Daesung explained that even with wizards around they just preferred to do things the muggle way.

His dad’s food is delicious as always and he takes his time to enjoy it, trying to ignore the man’s not-at-all-subtle elbow nudging as his mum very enthusiastically explains all the things a computer can do to a curious but slightly baffled Seunghyun. He smiles a little, still ignoring his dad and D-Lite both, and focuses entirely on the meal.

It doesn’t take a long time for them to finish eating, although none of them rush – his mum practically puffs her chest out when the pureblood compliments her desserts and eats them with that childish sort of glee spreading across his face – and they move to the couch afterwards to show Seunghyun the television.

Radios are one thing, wizards do have their own version of it which Daesung uses to keep up with the League, but they don’t have anything like TVs. Maybe it’s because they have moving pictures? It’s difficult to know which things in the wizarding world were difficult to achieve and which ones just hadn’t been tried yet because no one had thought of them. Sometimes it’s really bizarre how two worlds existing in the same space can feel so separated from each other.

They crowd into the couch, Daesung on one end with his dad on the other, his boyfriend and his mum between them. She seems perfectly happy to pick up the remote and turn it on but doesn’t immediately start explaining.  Seunghyun blinks, staring at the bright screen incomprehensibly for a few seconds. They’re all none-too-subtly staring at him, trying to gauge his reaction.

“This…” his voice trails off for a second. They’ve managed to catch the final bit of news for the day and the anchor is still talking. “Is this…?”

“Well, it’s happening right now, yeah. They’re uhm… transmitting… to the…” Daesung’s words falter slightly because how is he going to explain broadcasting and transmitting to someone who has no concept of it without threating him like an idiot? He bites down on his lip, thinking for a second, thankful that his parents are choosing to stay quiet. “This is the news, like the Prophet but you can actually see it. Not all things on TV happen when you see them, they can be recorded beforehand. There are shows about other things, like animals, and then there are movies and dramas-“

“… you have brought up those movies before. Like theatre…?”

“Sort of like that, yeah.”

His mum picks up the remote and switches the channel as they explain the various types of entertainment available. While talking about other muggle things beforehand, the two younger men had reached the conclusion it was best for Seunghyun not too wonder too much about the mechanics of technology until he could grasp it better and just focus on function instead. It seems to be working, as the Slytherin shakes his confusion aside and just rolls with it.

Every once in a while his brows furrow in that familiar thinking gesture but it never lasts more than a couple of seconds. He seems pretty impressed actually and Daesung can’t help but smile at that and feel a little proud, despite being a wizard himself. It just feels nice to see someone recognize and be fascinated by muggle achievements as much as he had been about magic.

At some point his dad gets up and drags them all over the house, gesticulating at pretty much every single electronic device they have lying around. It’s actually kind of fun and Daesung is sort of surprised at how much he took for granted while growing up. The computer is particularly fun and Seunghyun’s jaw actually drops when they get to Wikipedia. And, of course, they show him video calling and cellphones.

The Slythering gets quieter after that but it doesn’t feel like a bad sort of silence, more like a thoughtful one. They stay around for an hour longer but they both have work in the morning and need to leave. His parents, of course, hug Seunghyun to an inch of his life and make him promise to come back at some point – oh and if he could bring Daesung along that’d be okay, too.

He makes a face at them before turning to leave, trying not to laugh. He succeeds until they turn around the corner and then needs to let it out, shaking his head fondly. The day had been a bit weird, to be honest, but good all around. Turning his head to look at his boyfriend, Daesung catches him making his thinking face again, eyes narrowed in contemplation, making him consider if he should speak or not. “… Seunghyun?”

“Do you… miss it?”

Blinking, the Hufflepuff tilts his head, walking pace slowing down slightly. “My parent’s house?”

“The muggle world,” ah. Alright, that’s not what he had expected. The question makes sense, it’s the world he grew up in after all. “… actually I sort of miss my apartment right now,” his boyfriend stops walking, brow shooting up as he looks at him in surprise. Daesung stops, too, looking ahead and scratching the back of his head. “I’d be lying if I said I didn’t miss it. A lot, sometimes. But it’s not really… my world anymore? I haven’t been living in it for half my life now.”

Something close to guilt twists in his chest at the confession. It’s ridiculous but sometimes he almost feels like he’s betraying his parents or his own ancestry. Obviously he keeps in contact and makes trips often, even keeps tabs on important news happening around the globe, but that doesn’t take away from the fact that magic seems more familiar to him than computers now.

His attention is brought back to the present by a hand resting on his forearm and squeezing. Seunghyun is looking at him gently and promptly leans over to brush his lips against Daesung’s forehead in a comforting gesture. When they separate he grins, looking around the dark and cold street. “Shall we… call for a cab?” a chuckle escapes the Hufflepuff at how weird the words sound coming from his boyfriend’s mouth but he appreciates the gesture.

“Can we… can you side-apparate with me instead?”

The fingers around his arm tighten momentarily. Honestly, his question surprises even Daesung himself. Maybe it’s the mood set by his admission earlier, maybe it’s how warm Seunghyun’s presence feels besides him in contrast with the cold of the night, maybe it’s how empty and quiet the street is but he doesn’t take it back. That hand moves from his arm up to his shoulder before cupping his cheek.

“Are you certain, Daesung?”

“I…” the words get stuck in his throat but he’s determined to get them out. “I had a splinching accident a few months after leaving Hogwarts. They tell you that it only happens when you’re not focused enough.  The three Ds, right? Destination, determination and deliberation. They said it only fails when you’re not focusing on one of those but I was. I had apparated before a lot of times and nothing was out of place, nothing seemed wrong just… part of my body got left behind, somehow. They had to reattach it at St. Mungo's.”

Seunghyun waits patiently and only moves once it’s clear he’s done talking, raising his right hand to his other cheek, tilting his head and kissing him softly. Daesung’s fingers run down the lapels of the suit’s jacket, finding comfort in the way their lips brush together. His heart still skips whenever it happens, despite not being the first or second or third time they’ve done this. The cold fingers on his face slide down, tracing the line of his throat gently.

Daesung exhales as they separate and stare at each other. Dark eyes gaze evenly at him, in wonder and concern, flickering all over his face even as a thumb brushes against the line of the his  jaw. “Thank you for telling me, Daesung,” the tone seems genuinely thankful and far too loud in the silence, making him smile even as his eyes water a little bit. He didn’t mean to get this emotional about it but that accident had left him so shaken up he still couldn’t apparate on his own a year later.

“… so. me home?”

“It would be my absolute pleasure,” that’s a bit cheesy even for pureblood speak and the apprentice laughs, playfully shoving Seunghyun’s shoulder with his own as they link their arms together and vanish from sight.