Chapter 15

Action

            POV: Aron

When the bullet breaks through my body, I feel all my strength drain away and collapse to the floor. A large puddle of blood forms around me. I scream, and tears well up in my eyes from the pain.

I try to move the arm pierced by the bullet but it hurts too much. Although I recognize that I'm lucky that it hit me in the arm; if it had gone through my chest or my head, I wouldn't have been around to tell it.

I hear a laugh behind me. It seems the guard is happy with his accomplishment. He takes a few steps towards me, and it makes me shake. Why doesn't he finish me off with his gun? It wouldn't be difficult. I can't get my body to respond. I suppose they've been ordered to capture us alive...

I won't let it happen. I have to react. Come on, I can do it. There's just one left. One and nothing more. One and I'll be able to go back to Min. I hope he's okay...

I manage to turn my head a bit and, with eyes blurred by tears, I see the guard beside me, his baton raised high, ready to torment my poor ribs. Ah, no, I won't allow it. I have to use my power again. Okay, concentrate, just one more time.

The moment he lowers the baton, I get my body to respond and, thanks to my ability, I slide out of the way. Before he realizes it, I'm already behind him, wrapping my uninjured arm around his neck and grabbing his head harshly with the other. When he does realize what the situation means, he sends me a look of pure terror.

No, I don't want to do this either. But it's the fastest way to end this, and I can't let this go on any longer.

I close my eyes, gulp, and easily twist the hand I still have his head gripped in. I hear a crack and a choked groan. I let him go and see his body on the floor, void of life and with a broken neck.

I don't want to even think of what I've just done. I can only hope that I'll be able to erase this moment from my mind. No, this image isn't one I'll ever forget. But now's not the time to think of that. I have to return to the others. To Min.

To my luck, I'm pretty sure I still remember the path I took to get here. Now all that's left is to find the strength to get through it. I've used my power to finish with the guard, but I can't keep using it. I'm too exhausted. When I stop using it, I feel the heaviness of my battered body again, as well as the intense pain from my wounds. I struggle but I manage to make it to the wall of the hall. My head is spinning and my vision is going blurry. My arm is completely red, just like my clothes. The blood won't stop coming. I don't know how I'll make it, but I have to do it. Okay, one more. I can do it, I know I can.

Leaning against the wall, I advance, half dragging myself. Undoing the path I had taken before. It hadn't seemed so long. It feels like I'll never get there. Persevere, Aron, persevere. When I arrive, I'll see Min again.

At last I turn the last corner and I see him: my boy is on the floor, sobbing, trembling and screaming my name desperately. He's crying for me. I want to call out to him, but I don't know if my voice is strong enough.

            POV: Minhyun

"Min..."

What? This voice...

I turn my head and see him. He has just appeared at one end of the hall. He walks with difficulty, leaning on the wall. And there's blood, a lot of blood, on his right arm. His voice sounds very weak and breathing seems like a struggle to him. His legs go out from under him and he falls to his knees on the floor.

"ARON!"

I'm on my feet in a heartbeat, running towards him as quickly as I can. I hug him tightly, anxious for the warmth of his body, unwilling to let him go.

Now I see where all that blood is coming from. A bullet has gone through his arm. He's left a trail of blood behind him. He's losing way too much blood.

"Min..." His voice is hoarse and weak.

"Aron..."

"You're okay... I'm so glad..."

I clutch on to him tighter. I'm still crying.

"Yes... but you..."

"There's nothing wrong... I'm fine... Don't cry, please..."

With his left hand, he my cheeks to dry my tears. I lift my head to look him in the eyes. His are fixed on mine as well. And he grins flirtatiously.

"I'll remind you that you owe me a kiss. I haven't forgotten."

            POV: Ren

Aron finally appears and Minhyun runs to his arms. His appearance is really bad but right now it doesn't matter much to me. I return my attention to Baekho, who seems much calmer now that there's no screaming. Even so, he looks like he's about to collapse...

I grab one of his arms and place is around my shoulders to make sure he won't fall and he smiles wordlessly. There's no need. I smile as well. Just the feeling of his warm body makes me feel like everything will be okay. I only need him at my side.

            POV: Aron

He blushes a bit and smiles. Finally he's smiling. He's stopped crying. He looks adorable with puffy, red eyes, but I prefer his beautiful smile.

He was worried about me to the point that he cried in that way and screamed my name desperately. My whole body hurts, I'm dizzy from losing too much blood and I don't feel capable of standing at the moment, but I don't think I could be any happier. I'd die with his arms around me and his body pressed against mine.

Then he gives me a mischievous smirk. He brings his face closer to mine, very slowly, and I see his eyes flutter shut. I close mine as well and wait for our lips to touch. I'm not kept waiting for very long. I finally feel those delicate and sweet lips over mine again. The gentle touch of that pink flesh. Oh how I like these lips! I wish this kiss would never end...

I'm surprised to feel his tongue against my lips, but I immediately part them. His tongue enters my mouth to find mine and begins a sweet dance of gentle touches that become faster, more intense and more passionate by the second.

I feel his hand press against the back of my neck to keep me from moving away and to deepen the kiss. I explore every corner of his mouth with my tongue and he does the same with mine.

When we separate, it's only because we're out of breath. I look at his kiss-swollen lips, delighted with the soft pants he makes to even out his breathing. His cheeks flush red and he lowers his gaze. He's so cute! I was wrong before. I could be happier.

"Aron... I think we should go to the others..."

"Eh? Oh, right... of course..."

I try to get up but a spike of pain as I move my arm makes me quiver. Min holds me to make sure I don't fall again. He helps me stand and walk to where the others are, and then he helps me back to the floor to rest.

I'm very dizzy. My vision is blurry. I think they're talking but I can't hear what they're saying well. Bit by bit, silence and darkness sweep over me...

            POV: Minhyun

I leave Aron on the floor while we decide what to do. His eyes close and he loses consciousness. While smiling. He's smiling? Because... of our kiss? Remembering brings a warmth to my stomach, and I can't help but smile as well. I must look like an idiot. An idiot in love.

But then I hear something behind me. A... a sob? I turn, not understanding what it could be, and then I see him. It's one of the guards, one that hasn't died. He's sprawled on the floor near JR and his right arm has become nothing but a large red mass that I'd rather not describe. How disgusting! That must hurt a lot... It doesn't surprise me that he's crying...

I take a few steps towards him, trying to hold back the gags that the scene provokes me. I see him tremble. He's curled up on the floor, unable to move, unable to do anything.

He's lost a lot of blood. He won't survive. His pained moans ring through my ears and stab at my heart. He tried to kill us, yes, but... I don't want to see him suffer like this. Does he really deserve this? In the end, he's nothing more than a puppet in the hands of the same people that mistreated us.

How long will it take him to die if I leave him like that? Minutes? Hours? I can't wait that long. He'll die all the same, so the least I can do is shorten his suffering.

He still has his gun. I approach him and take it. He hasn't used it so it's still full. I take a few steps back and aim at his head. I hesitate for a moment, but I end up shooting while a tear falls down my face.

Finally he has stopped moving. He no longer cries, he no longer trembles, he no longer writhes. He no longer suffers.

            POV: Baekho

BAM.

A gunshot. Guards? Where are they? I don't see them. Not more guards... Look for them, Baek. Open your mind and...

It hurts. My head hurts, my throat hurts. My back and ribs hurt. My feet hurt, and my knees and my legs.

But more than anything it's my ribs. It's painful to breathe, something catches. And my head... I can't think, I can't 'sense' anything...

            POV: Ren

I hear a gunshot and the startle makes me drop Baekho's bag. I turn around, expecting to see a guard attacking us but there is none. All of them are still on the floor without a sign of life. There's only Min on his feet, gun pointed at a guard on the floor. I don't understand... Wait... It can't be... He killed him! He was still alive and he's blown his head off!

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING, DRUGGIE? HAVE YOU GONE INSANE?"

"He wouldn't have survived. I've only stopped his suffering."

"But... but... YOU ING KILLED HIM!"

            POV: Minhyun

'You killed him'... 'you killed him'... 'you killed him'...

The words echo in my head again and again, drilling into my brain. Yes, damn it, I know that I've killed him! It hasn't been easy for me either. I've become a damn murderer, just like my father, like those people I hate so much... But what else could I have done? He would've died... slowly and painfully... I did it for him, damn it!

Calm down... Deep breath. I have to keep my cool. I'm not like them. I don't kill for pleasure. I'm not like them.

            POV: Ren

I look at the dead guard. And at Min. And again at the guard. And then I notice his injury and the puddle of blood he's lying in... Maybe he was right to do it... But something interrupts my observations. A sob.

Minhyun is crying. The lone tear that was on his cheek before has now become sobs of despair. , I think I was too harsh with him... I suppose it must've been hard for him too but he did it for that poor devil... ! Why do I talk without thinking?!

"Hey, Min... druggie..."

I call to him but he doesn't pay attention, he just keeps cry. I go to him and place a hand on his shoulder. I don't know what to do...

"Min... I'm sorry, I didn't want to yell, okay? I understand why you did it, I was just surprised..." I step a bit closer and before I can continue apologizing, he hugs me. He hides his face against my neck and holds on tightly and his tears go on. Crap, Min. You're suffocating me! But I correspond the hug and, hesitantly, his hair.

"Shhh... It's okay, Min, it's done now... You haven't done anything wrong."

            POV: Minhyun

I can't... Just thinking of what I've done strengthens my sobs... Maybe I should have let him die on his own and not have made his head explode... No, that would've been even more cruel... But I've killed him in cold blood, just like my dad and his followers did. That's all I can think of. That I'm a murderer. A ing murderer! It disgusts me just to think of what I've become. I can't stop the tears from streaming down my face.

I hold on tightly to Ren's body. But neither his warmth or his words manage to calm me.

"Hey, kid!"

I hear a hoarse voice behind me and Ren and I turn towards it, startled and confused. Who just spoke? We see a guard on the floor. There's blood on his neck, on his chest, and on his arm as well as beneath his mask. His voice is weak and it's hard for him to talk. Does he want to attack us again?

No, that's impossible. I don't think he can even move. He looks real bad. I don't think he'll survive his injuries either.

"Kill me..."

"What?"

"Kill me... please..."

Kill him? What does he mean kill him? He can't be asking me that. No... I can't... Not again... I shake my head, unable to form a word.

"It hurts... a lot... Kill me... You know as well as I do that I won't survive... It hurts... Please... Kill me... Please... Kill me..."

His last words become a sob. He cries and moans in pain louder and louder. He trembles and twists in on himself. There's more blood with each passing moment. He's suffering a lot. I don't want to leave him like this. I have to do it.

I grip the handle of the gun in my hand tightly and take a step towards him. I'm shaking. I don't want to kill again. I can't.

"I can't... I'm sorry..."

"Please... Please do it... Please kill me..."

He keeps crying, becoming louder with each sob. , what do I do? I can't...

"Do it." Ren says from behind me, his hand on my shoulder. "I can't keep seeing him suffer like this..."

Finally, I nod. I move away from Ren and towards the guard with firm steps. I aim the gun at his head.

"Thank you... Thank you so much... Don't hesitate... Pull the trigger... Kill me..."

I shoot. Without trembling, without stalling. The bullet goes through his head. His quivering stops and his hoarse voice disappears along with his sobs.

I've done it again. I've killed again. But I don't feel as bad anymore. Ren's arms wrap around my waist from behind me and he leans his head against my back.

"Don't regret it, dumby. You've done the right thing. No one else would have been able to do it."

I smile. I feel better. I'm not like my father. I'm not a murderer like he is.

            POV: Ren

Min has stopped crying at last. I continue hugging him without saying anything for a while longer but then I remember the situation we're in.

"Min, we have to go... They could come back at any moment..."

"Yes, you're right."

I move away from him and grab the bag I tossed beside Baekho before. He opens his eyes a bit when I approach him.

"Rennie... we have to hide."

"Yeah, but first we have to treat our wounds. Rest, we'll take care of it."

"Okay... but you first. You're covered in a lot of blood."

"Yeah, yeah, don't worry."

He closes his eyes again but his face shows he's not asleep. It worries me but I think he'll be fine. Aron and JR need us more.

I grab the large bag and throw it to Minhyun.

"Min! Look for bandages and medicine!"

He nods and starts to dig through it. I think he'll be okay. I need to look for something to lower JR's fever and to wash the blood from my face because I can barely see anything.

I enter the room again and soak a piece of fabric from the uniform in a pond. It's not the most sanitary thing in the world but it's water so I guess it'll work. , it's cold! Aish, well of course. How would it not be? This whole room is freezing.

I finish cleaning myself up a bit. My cut stings and I can tell it'll scar, but it's not grave. I wash the rag and soak it again. I suppose it'll help with lowering his fever a bit... Ah! We have to clean Aron's wound too... I rip the fabric in two, soak them well and leave.

Minhyun holds up a few packets triumphantly.

"Ren! Lots of bandages and pills for fever!"

            POV: Minhyun

I grab the bandages and go to Aron. He's still lying on the floor, unconscious. , he's lost a lot of blood. Too much. There's a red puddle underneath his injured arm.

No, no, no, please, don't bleed any more.

I kneel beside him. I have to stop the bleeding. I cover the wound with bandages. They're the only thing I have. But it doesn't work. The blood won't stop... Damn it!

"What if you try this?"

The blond offers me a piece of fabric soaked in cold water. Good. The cold will help stop the flow of blood. I place it over the wound and put pressure on it in an attempt to stop the blood.

I feel his body tense and he whimpers. So he's not completely unconscious.

"Oww... It hurts..."

            POV: Aron

My arm hurts a lot... I'm cold, very cold, my arm is cold... And it hurts... Why is there so much pressure on my arm? I want to move it away but I don't have the strength to... It hurts too much... And I'm very dizzy... My head is spinning...

"Aron... Aron, do you hear me?"

Min? Are you here with me? I try to call to him but I can't manage more than a whisper. I don't know if he heard me...

"Aron, I'm right beside you. Hang in there, okay? You'll be fine, I promise."

I want to respond but my body doesn't obey. I try to smile, I don't know if I manage to. I feel his lips on my cheek. I can't tell him how grateful I am...

I think he keeps talking but I can barely hear him. Less and less, everything is becoming more silent...

            POV: Minhyun

He's lost consciousness again. I continue putting pressure on his wound, trying to get it to stop bleeding. Why doesn't the blood stop? He's lost a lot already. If it continues, he'll die! What more can I do?

            POV: Ren

Minhyun takes charge of Aron while I check up on JR. He's been unconscious for a while now but the fever doesn't seem to have gone up a lot thankfully. But it hasn't gone down either. I put another wet rag over his forehead. No matter how many pills we have, I don't know how we'll give them to him if he's unconscious.

I turn to see how Min is doing and see that he's hysteric. Aron is still bleeding. I run to the bag and empty it with one shake. There has to be something! I look through a bunch of colorful jars until I find one labeled 'anti-hemorrhagic ointment'. Perfect. I hope this is it. The name sounds right to me.

            POV: Minhyun

Stop flowing damn it! Why won't you stop? Please...

I know if it continues this way, Aron will die. Just thinking of it brings tears to my eyes. I feel frustrated, useless... I don't know what to do...

"Min, use this."

I look up and Ren holds out a small green bottle.

"Where...?"

"In the bag."

I grab it, open it and smear the pasty cream across the fabric. Please, let this work.

I place it on the wound again and press against it. He whimpers weakly again.

Gradually, the bleeding stops, or, at least, the intensity lowers. Until it eventually stops completely. Good! We've done it!

I soak the bandages with the cream and hurry to bandage up his arm. This should be enough for the moment. He's no longer in danger.

            POV: Ren

Awesome. It looks like it worked. I go back to JR. He still hasn't moved or made any sign of getting better. I don't think the wet cloth is helping at all... ! He won't die, right?

I take away the rag that is now much warmer than it is cold and place my hand on his forehead. Really hot. What do I do? I'm sure Baekho would know what to do... No, no! This time I have to do this without him. He needs to rest... Minhyun! Min will know what to do!

"Min! JR isn't waking up!"

"I don't care."

What? What does he mean he 'doesn't care'? Alright so his boyfriend is in deep but my... mine is, too! And JR is our comrade and he needs us!

            POV: Minhyun

He's not bleeding anymore. That's good... but he's still unconscious. I call his name but he doesn't react. I touch his hand, his cheek... Ren yells something about JR at me. I don't care! Aron isn't waking up, what could possibly be more important?!

At last he opens his eyes. He looks at me and smiles.

"Aron, you're..."

"I'm fine. Just give me a minute..."

What a relief! Okay, now I can go see what's wrong with JR.

I stand and go to where Ren is. He glares at me. I guess I went too far before.

"I'm sorry, I was nervous... You know I don't really think what I said... JR is important to me, a lot—"

"Shut up, druggie! We don't have time for this!"

He's right. I  kneel beside him and look at JR. His face is red, he's sweating and breathing hard. Poor guy...

"I've found pills to help the fever, but if he's unconscious I don't know how to give it to him..."

"I'll do it."

I grab the white capsule he had in his hand and put it in my mouth. Ren stares at me in shock. "What are...?"

I hold JR's chin with one hand to open his mouth, and cover his nose with the other. I join our mouths together to give him the medicine and then push it to the back of his throat with my tongue to make sure he'll swallow it. I pull away slowly and wait until he swallows again with a weird face. Perfect. Problem solved.

            POV: Ren

What...?

I stare intently as Min shoves his tongue down JR's throat... How can he do something like that in front of Aron without hesitation?? It's... it's almost cheating on him!

Min finally pulls away and JR swallows. Okay, Ren, breathe. It worked and that's the important thing. Minhyun has demonstrated a lot of cold blood in the past just like now in order to do what's necessary. Aron hasn't seen anything and we're going to leave it that way. He doesn't need to know and Min has saved JR's life.

Crap. Why are they all so amazing?!

I take a final deep breath and stand. No matter how much of a hurry we're in, we have to wait until the medicine takes effect and JR comes to.

I approach Baekho who is still propped up against the wall with his eyes closed. Did he fall asleep? I don't think so. His brows are scrunched up. Almost unconsciously, I smooth away the wrinkle on his forehead with my finger, trying to erase it, and he opens his eyes a bit.

"How are you doing?"

He blinks for a few seconds before responding with a smile. A false smile.

"I'm fine... just tired."

Don't lie to me. You're not fine. But this time I plan to take care of you.

"Aron's wound has stopped bleeding and we've gotten JR to take some medicine. As soon as they can get to their feet, we'll go."

He nods slightly and I move away to prepare. We can't lose much more time. I search our surroundings with my eyes. There has to be another bag, right? With what's in Baekho's, we won't last long... In the bend of the hall, I see something black and head towards it and... Bingo! A large bag. Aron must've thrown it the ground at some point I guess.

We don't have time to go through it much so I hoist it onto my back. ! It's heavy!

Well, it doesn't matter. It's just a bit of extra weight. I can do it.

            POV: Minhyun

Ren leaves down the hall. What the hell is he doing? Soon enough, he returns with a large bag on his back. But... but... it's bigger than he is! He stumbles a bit, but he carries it with dignity. Although I don't know if he'll last long...

"Blondie, do you want me to help you with that?"

"No! I can do it myself. There's a lot of things to carry."

He's right. There's still another bag, although it's smaller, and I don't know if JR and Aron can walk.

I go back to my man and kneel beside him.

"How are you? Can you stand?"

"I think so..."

I grab his hands and help him to his feet. He puts a hand on my shoulder and leans on me to walk. I can feel how weak his body is, and with his weight on me I feel like my legs are going to give out on me and we'll fall on our faces. No, I can't allow it. Endure it.

Besides, I think I'll have to carry another bag as well. Oh how I loathe this life.

            POV: Ren

I go to check on how JR is and bend down beside him, trying not to lose my balance because of the bag. I shake him so he'll wake and call to him.

"JR, do you hear me? How are you doing?"

He opens his eyes, blinking, and glances around like he's trying to piece everything together.

"The guards..." He mumbles, half-conscious.

"We've taken care of them but they could return. We have to leave... Can you stand on your feet?"

He nods, tiredly, while he tries to get up but I don't think he can do it alone so I wrap an arm underneath his so he can lean on me. I wait a few seconds and then take a few steps to see if he can make it. To my relief, he does. He puts all his weight on me and we're slow but we can move.

I hope we don't run into any guards or this time we won't make it...

"Baekho!" I call and he opens his eyes. "We're all ready. Let's leave?"

He smiles and stands.

"Let's go."

            POV: Minhyun

When I see that JR and Baekho are both finally on their feet and everyone is heading for the door, I go to the bag that's left on the floor. I sigh, resigned, and pull it up onto my back. , it's very heavy for my weakened body. My left leg fails me and forces me to use every ounce of balance I have to not fall. Aron gives me a worried look.

"Hey... Are you sure you can carry that? Do want me to take it?"

"How are you going to carry it if you can't even stand on your own?"

"Yeah, but—"

"But nothing! I'll do it."

My tone doesn't allow for more complaints. I appreciate his intentions but I can't let him. He's weak. He nearly bled out. He's always taken good care of me. Everyone has. I'll do it. I have to be strong.

            POV: Ren

Minhyun is helping Aron at the front, then there's me with JR and Baekho right behind us. Alright, even if it's slow, each step brings us closer to finally getting out of this place.

We start to walk in silence. JR is heavier than he looks and the bag, which is way too big, almost slips off my shoulders. Oof, I think this'll be tougher than I thought... But I'll do it. I can handle JR perfectly well. Yes, you can do it, Ren. Step by step, without doubt.