Chapter 9

Action

            POV: Aron

A patrol of ten or so armed and masked guards emerged from around the corner in front of us. Baekho is useless! Wasn't he supposed to be keeping an eye over their movements with his mind?

I lower Minhyun to the floor and prepare to fight. It's obvious that we can't just hide.

            POV: JR

They see us and lunge for us, aiming their guns.

The first storm of bullets doesn't keep us waiting long. , what can we do against this? We're dead.

I squeeze my eyes shut tightly, preparing myself for the pain that I'll feel and to fall right back into the darkness. A darkness that is much deeper. But none of that happens. Only a scream – a note sung high and strong that lifts everything into a vibration.

I open my eyes to see that the bullets have been buried into the walls, have strayed from their targets.

The guards, shocked, stop shooting and Baekho stops singing to take a deep breath. He saved all our lives again.

            POV: Aron

I had put myself in front of Min to protect him from the bullets but it turns out to not have been necessary. Baekho saved us. Ah, okay, I'll admit that this kid isn't that useless...

            POV: Minhyun

Wow! It turns out that we're a pretty good team. Maybe we have a chance after all...

Aron tried to protect me without thinking. He wrapped his warm arms around me, hiding me with his body. He put himself in danger for me... Luckily Baekho stopped the bullets. If something happens to Aron, I can't be held responsible for my actions.

Before I can react, Aron jumps, angry with the guards, moving faster than my eyes can follow. He begins to fight with three of them at once.

Alright. It's about time I do something too.

            POV: Baekho

They abandoned their pistols as soon as they realize that bullets don't work against me. Thank goodness because I had had to put so much force behind that note that I feel exhausted.

But I can't stop. One of them lunges for me. I sing again, attempting to strangle him with the laces of his own hood. It's difficult because he moves quickly and I'm tired. I have to concentrate everything on it but, finally, my voice manages to grab hold of the straps and squeeze until I can feel him stop breathing.

I don't want to even think of what I've done. Not that I get the chance to, seeing as another guard jumps towards me.

            POV: JR

I dodge the first guard and he goes running past me. I can't stop him because another one approaches me. I confront him. He attacks me with the electric baton that they all carry.

I avoid his hits while I try to reach his skin with my hands. I promised myself I'd never do it again but... do I have any other way to fight?

I feel it connect with my arm. Pain, lots of pain, everything goes dark.

But seconds before the black curtain descends upon me, I see my hand against his chest. The cloth disappears, the skin, the muscle, the tendons. Everything deteriorates into an unrecognizable mass of vital fluids... The bones are a little more tricky, but in the end they become white dust that mixes in with everything else. All that's left is a horrible gaping hole in his still very much alive body. He writhes in pain before falling, dead, to the floor.

And then the darkness really does swallow up everything.

Blood, mirrors. The woman stretching her arms towards me. The girl screaming. The guard twisting in on himself in pain. The three faces join together, spinning around my mind. Blood. Screams. Pain. Mirrors. More blood.

It's difficult to breathe. There's a lack of air. I manage to see my own arm and the dark, warm fluid that covers it. Everything is red. Everything is dark. It's impossible to breathe.

            POV: Minhyun

A guard has gone past JR and is now coming towards me. Why didn't he stop him? Well, he seems occupied... I'll have to confront him myself then.

I won't let him get close to me. I wouldn't be able to move in a physical fight. I can barely keep myself on my feet. So I focus and in seconds flames consume and surround him.

            POV: Aron

I see the glint behind me, the red tinted light that is so familiar to me. I turn, frightened, forgetting about the guards attacking me. Fire! There's fire again! I start to scream, desperate. "PUT IT OUT! PUT IT OUT IMMEDIETLY! FIRE!"

Minhyun stares at me in shock. I don't see him. My eyes are fixed on the red flames around the guard. I can't take my gaze off it. The guards continue to attack me but I don't see them, I don't feel them anymore.

Minhyun doesn't decide to put out the flames until he's sure that the guard no longer moves. Once he does, I sigh in relief.

"Don't you dare do that again!" I yell at him and, angry, spin towards the guards that had been fighting against me and that have taken advantage of these seconds of truce to pick up their weapons and attack. Well the game has ended; I'm pissed off.

I leave one unconscious with a kick to his face. I steal his weapon and turn it on the other two. They try to electrocute me with their electric clubs but I don't give them the chance to touch me. Screaming, I hit them with my stolen baton until the both of them fall.

            POV: Minhyun

Alright, alright, I'll stop using fire. I'll have to use another method.

I don't even have a chance to breathe before another one is upon me. I won't let him touch me. I launch a burst of air at him and he's thrown against the wall. But it's not enough. He gets up again. I'll try something else.

This time I attack with water. I make it appear and put enough pressure on it to make it as sharp as knives. I throw it towards him and gapes appear in his clothes. The torn bits soon become tinted in red blood. He falls. He won't be bothering me anymore. Good!

Oh, my god, what have I just done...

            POV: Baekho

I've managed to free myself of a second guard. This one put up a tougher fight than the one before him. The bruises on my ribs are proof of it. But, in the end, I've suffocated him as well.

I look around and find Aron fighting against the last two guards. I hurry towards him to help and then I hear the scream of a voice too familiar to ignore.

My intention has changed. I yell and Aron is thrown back and away from the guard he had just hit, pushed by his own clothes. The other guard is already finished.

I kneel beside the guard that still hasn't moved since I parted Aron. I help her sit up and gently remove the mask to reveal her sweet face.

"Are you okay, Nara?"

"You idiot! What the hell are you doing? Who's side are you on?" There's Aron being bothersome again.

"Shut up. She's my friend."

"Baek, I... I didn't want to attack you. They ordered me to. I tried to stay back and not be moved out but..."

"It's okay." I smile, standing and helping her get to her feet. "None of this is your fault. Just don't betray us, alright?"

She shakes her head feverishly to say "I'd never do that" and I believe her because, even if she doesn't know it, she has already helped us so much. She's always been by my side.

            POV: Aron

What the hell is this idiot doing? Has he become completely insane? He's helping a guard! That's the last thing we need! And on top of that, he's angry at me. I really don't like him! God, I want to pummel his face in so badly!

I'm still sitting on the floor, seething, when a pair of arms wrap around my shoulders from behind me and a soft breath hits the back of my neck. A very familiar breath. I don't need to turn around to know who it is. How cute! He's trying to calm me down... It becomes more clear to me how much I love him with each passing moment.

But then I realize he's sobbing. He's crying? Why?

I twist around quickly to look at his face. His cheeks are soaked in a stream of tears.

"Min... What...?"

"I just killed two people! HOW COULD I HAVE DONE THAT? I'M A MURDERER!"

He sobs harder. I instinctively hug him in attempt to comfort him. His words bring me back to reality. It's true, we've just killed people. God, I hadn't stopped to think of it until now.

I feel tears well up in my eyes, threatening to spill over. But I can't cry; I have to be strong for the both of us. If I start crying, who will comfort Min?

I see blood on Min's shirt. Oh, god, no! Is he hurt?! I look closer and find that he's not. My own hands are soaked in blood. My own hands are what have dirtied him. I can't let him see. It would only make him feel worse than he already does.

            POV: JR

The blood floods everything. It hurts. It's drowning me.

I hear someone crying. Yells. Of regret, of pain.

And darkness. Profound darkness swallowing me...

I need to breathe! AIR! STOP! NO MORE BLOOD!

            POV: Baekho

Minhyun's right. I can't believe what I've just done.

My body is trembling and my breathing is uncontrolled. I can't think clearly.

I close my eyes and take deep breaths, trying to overcome this.

Upon reopening my eyes I see the corpses strewn all around me.

No, don't look.

I look at Nara. She's beside me with wide eyes and a hand over , trying to control the urge to gag. I embrace her to stop her from seeing what ever it is she's seeing. And then I see it.

JR, curled in on himself, hugging his legs and repeating the same phrase over and over again. "Blood, darkness, blood..."

But that's not the worst of it. The dead guard at his side is truly repulsing.

I can't describe the disgust I felt upon seeing the molten flesh...

I looked away again.

Trying not to let my gaze focus in on anything in particular, I go to JR and drag him to his feet, taking him away from that.

He screams when I touch him. He's hurt but I doubt that's the problem. His mind has suffered more than his body.

Nara leads the way, eager to get away from this place as soon as possible. She guides us through the maze of unknown halls.

            POV: Minhyun

I let Aron move me around at his will and soon find myself on his back again.

The warmth of his body and the gentle swaying of every step calms me. I hold on to him tightly, wanting to be even closer to him. I think of nothing else.

When I come out of my trance, the woman guiding us has taken us into a room and has closed the door behind us. I glance around. It looks like some kind of locker room for the guards.

Aron carefully sets me down on a bench and kisses my forehead.

"I'll be right back."

He moves away and I miss him instantly.

The image of corpses returns. I should avoid thinking of it. I've only just managed to stop crying.

To distract myself, I inspect the room. On one side, there are tons of clean and well ironed guard uniforms hanging on racks. On the other, there are shelves full of weapons – the guns and electric sticks they always have on them. There are also a few knives. They send shivers up my spine.

In the opposite corner of the room there's a door that seems to hold a bathroom. Aron had gone into it and I cam hear the sound of running water. He must be washing himself.

Not far from me, Baekho has JR seated on another bench. It looks like the poor guy has fallen back into his insanity. The blond is singing to calm him again. I love his voice. It really is beautiful. JR smiles. He's getting better. The voice calms me, makes me feel better as well.

My eyes close on their own. I'm tired. I can't keep myself upright. My body trembles and I let myself fall to my side, onto the bench.

This time, I keep my eyes closed. My mind begins to wander while I continue to listen to that magical voice with the hope that it won't stop.

            POV: Ren

My eyes snap open. ; I fell asleep. To my relief the room is still empty. They haven't returned. The rest has restored a bit of my strength. I don't plan on surrendering. When they come back, I'll try to escape. Even if it's by brute force and a factor of surprise alone. They've cuffed me again but if I managed to free myself before then I can do it again. I gather all my strength and manage to create a small explosion. It's not enough, but after a few minutes and lots of pulling and explosions, the chain breaks. Yes.

I hear footsteps in the hall and this time it sounds like more than three. I have to do it now. Trembling, I get to my feet. I have to act the moment the door opens and take advantage of the confusion that'll follow to run away. Okay, so it's not the most brilliant plan but it's all I've got. If I could use my power... No. Impossible.

The latch opens. I prepare myself. The door opens. There's four of them. Which one is the weakest? There, the closest one. He must be either injured or exhausted. I run towards him, prepared to tackle him. He sees me coming much too late; he won't be able to move out of the way in time. And right as I'm beside him... someone gets between us and, in a mere second, I'm thrown to the floor. It's impossible to move that fast...

. My head. Everything is blurry again. I'm screwed.