Chapter 18

Action

            POV: Aron

Is he seriously talking to Baekho? Does he really see him? Min and I are completely confused. Someone should tell him, right? And seeing as my boy doesn't seem to have any intention to do so, I decide to break the ice.

"This... Ren, there's no one there. Baekho hasn't come back yet."

He looks at me in bewilderment, with an expression that says he doesn't understand what I'm talking about.

"What are you saying? Do you not see him? He's right there."

"That's not true. Us three are the only ones here."

"He's right, blondie. What are you seeing?"

At last Min comes to my aid. I'm thankful for it because, with the way Ren is looking at me, I don't think I'd be able to convince him on my own. He gives us a reproachful look.

"Do you have nothing better to do than pull my leg? Baekho, they want me to believe that I'm crazy, do you see how bored they are?"

            POV: Ren

Hmph, this pair of idiots. How could this not be him? It's Baekho. It's him. His warm smile, his slightly messy blond hair, those dark eyes, his lips... Those appetizing lips that I'm dying to try. If I waltz up and kiss him, will they believe he's real? Although I don't know how he'll take it. Maybe he doesn't want to yet...

            POV: Aron

Pulling his leg? Great, he still doesn't believe us. I'm starting to wonder if what he's saying is even true. Does he seriously expect me to believe that he sees ghosts? Maybe the conversation was making him uncomfortable and he couldn't think of any better way to change the topic. Yeah, it could  be that. It's more reasonable than him actually seeing Baekho.

"What? You're the one pulling our legs! Don't pretend to see things that aren't there!"

"I'm not pretending anything! Baekho, why aren't you saying something?"

How long will this last? It's getting to be too much, and it's starting to annoy me.

"How is someone who isn't there supposed to talk to you? Come on, leave it, it's not funny."

"You're starting to worry me... Do you seriously see Baekho?"

Min seems truly worried. He and Ren have become close friends. My boy always knows what's going on in his head. If he's this scared, then Ren might honestly not be pretending.

"Wh- why would I not see him? He's right there..."

Ren looks like's starting to become frightened as well. Okay, I admit, I was wrong, he's not pretending. I feel bad for thinking that he was trying to trick us. We should show him that Baekho's not here.

"There's no one there and I'll prove it." I get up and stand in front of Ren, more or less where Baekho supposedly is. "Okay, where is Baekho? Over here?"

"Um... a little more to the right... My right, not yours! A bit further back..."

"Here?"

"Yeah, you're right in front of him. But what are you trying to...?"

Perfect. I raise my hands and shake them, punching the air where Baekho 'is'. Obviously, my hands don't hit anything because there's nothing there. I turn to Ren who's looking at me with wide eyes.

"See?"

"But... I..."

The words refuse to come. He starts to mumble incoherently, scared. Now I feel sorry for him.

            POV: Ren

No. It can't be. What's happening? , is there really not anyone there? So why am I seeing someone? I see him! It's so real... How can this be?! I'm going crazy? Am I going to die? I don't want to die yet. We have to get out of here. I haven't even kissed Baekho yet! I'm scared... Baekho, come back, come back and tell me that everything will be okay, that I'm not mad in the head.

            POV: Minhyun

I still don't fully understand what's happening, but I've never seen blondie like this. He looks completely out of it. And I am too.

"Were you hallucinating? Do you still see him?"

Ren nods. It must be very strange to see something that's not there. It's never happened to me. And just thinking of it sends chills up my spine. Why is this happening to him? I don't understand, and it's scaring me. Maybe this isn't the first time.

"How can you be hallucinating?! Have you had any others beside this one?"

"How would I know?! It's real to me!"

That's true, it's logical. Sometimes I feel like I should think more before saying anything. We don't have any way of knowing but we have to find the reason behind this. , I'm getting nervous.

"! Why is this happening to you? Is it because of a head injury? Have you taken any weird pill without looking at the side effects?"

"WHAT WOULD I KNOW!"

He shakes his head in rage, he looks like he's at the edge of a panic attack. I don't know what we can do. I don't know what to ing do! How is someone supposed to find a solution to this? If the cause is some type of neurological damage, we'll have a big problem.

"I... think I remember hearing something in class about this. Once you hit 100 hours without sleeping, hallucinations tend to happen. It could be that..."

My eyes light up at hearing Aron's explanation. Sleep deprivation! Of course! That makes sense.

I take a deep breath, feeling much calmer. There's an easy solution.

"Yeah? I didn't know. Just another reason for you to sleep at once!"

"Oh, yes, of course, I'm super relaxed right now and able to sleep, don't you think?"

Alright, he's right. It's true that he doesn't look like he's in the mood to take a nap, but what are we going to do then?

"You could at least try it..."

"Yeah, and that way we can finish what we started before."

Wh-WHAT? He can't have just brought up that topic again. I can't believe he's thinking of that at a moment like this. Within a second, my face is burning again. Is there no where for me to hide? I'm dying of embarrassment.

            POV: Aron

I love seeing Min blush. Seriously, it's the most adorable sight I've seen in my life. I have to hold back the urge to bite his lips again. No, no, no, calm down, it's not the moment to think of this. We're talking about serious things. I have to control myself.

"Shut up! It's not the moment to talk of that!"

Min manages to say something at last. It hasn't been easy for him. Although it was to yell at me. And he has all the reason in the world to do so, but I couldn't help it.

"I'm sorry, you're right..." I take a deep breath and focus on the topic again. "Really, Ren, you should try to sleep..."

"I've already told you! No!"

How can he be so stubborn?

            POV: Ren

I hear a noise and the two of them turn to look to where Baekho and the others have returned. A couple of figures approach slowly. The woman is familiar... Mom? It's mom! I'm about to get up running but this time I stop in time. It can't be. Ren, focus. We're in the basement, not at home. Mom isn't here, she's very far away. But the woman doesn't disappear. I can't take my eyes off her nor off the little girl holding her hand. MiNa.

I squeeze my eyes shut. It's not real, it's not real. Focus, Ren. No one's there. No one. They're far away, very far away. You're trapped here, not at home. They're imaginary. They're not real.

            POV: Baekho

Upon returning to "camp", the first thing that I notice is that Ren is awake again. Why the hell weren't those two more careful not to wake him? It had taken so much...

But I quickly realize that something's not right. His gaze is locked on some point behind me and he shakes his head, holding his face with his hands. The other two watch worriedly, exchanging distressed looks, and then look at us. Something's not right...

I go running towards him, asking what's wrong, trying to hug him, but his reaction shocks me. He moves away, scared, tangling his fingers in his hair tightly, about to collapse.

"Get away!" He screams at me. "You're not real! You don't exist!"

What? What's wrong? What's going on here?

"Ren... he's really there." Minhyun says. "He's hallucinating from the lack of sleep." He explains to me.

Ren lifts his gaze to me, reaching out to touch my arm, as if to make sure that I'm here.

"He's really here?" He asks Minhyun fearfully. Min nods and Ren jumps into my arms, sobbing, clutching me tightly.

I hug him too, worried.

"You say this is because of not sleeping?" I ask Min.

"That's what we think." He replies, raising his shoulders.

"But didn't he fall asleep?"

"He pretended to."

"Ren!" I scold. What does he mean he pretended to?

"I didn't want to worry you..." He whispers in the thinnest hint of a voice.

"And you think I won't worry about you this way?"

"I don't want to sleep."

"But..." He shakes his head against my chest. I push him back by his shoulders, forcing him to look at me. "I promised you that I'd get you out of here safe and sound, but how am I supposed to protect you if you're the one hurting yourself?" He doesn't respond, only lowers his gaze in shame. "Let's sleep, okay?"

"I don't want to sleep..." He's still stubborn.

"I'm not asking." I insist. "Don't you realize that you're hurting yourself?"

"But I can't!" He pulls away and hugs himself. "If I close my eyes, I'll have nightmares. I'll see them come and grab us, kill us one by one while I'm standing there uselessly in the corner without being able to move, without being able to help you. I'll see them shoot you, like a few days ago. I can't..." His voice trembles. He pulls his hair harshly and glances around anxiously. I sigh and hug him.

"It's okay, everything is okay. I'm here..." I whisper in his ear. "Nothing will happen to us. But you need to sleep."

"I don't think it'll be easy after not sleeping for four days..." JR mumbles from behind me. I know he's right, but if he doesn't try then of course he won't manage it. Aron finds a solution and I curse myself for not thinking of it earlier.

"We have sleeping pills."

"I'm not going to take a sleeping pill." He says. I'm about to respond, but Minhyun's words seem to alarm him.

"Do you want me to give it to you?"

Ren gives him a frightened look. What does that mean?

"You wouldn't dare."

"Believe what you want." He meets the look with his own superior one. Can someone explain to me what this is about? While I try to figure out the meaning behind his offer, JR interrupts again.

"Guys, do we even have sleeping pills?"

"No." Ren breathes in relief.

"I think the only thing we do have is the syringes of sedatives." Aron mumbles.

"It could work."

"Are you guys seriously going to sedate me?" He exclaims in disbelief.

"Right now I'll do whatever it takes so long as you sleep." I say firmly. "You need it. Even if it's through sedatives, you need to sleep."

He looks away, uncomfortable, but since everyone else seems to be on board with the idea, Aron goes to the bag and looks for the box we grabbed.

"Who's going to do it?" The question is left floating in the air.

No one responds. It's one thing to stab a guard with one in the middle of a fight, but Ren... I'm scared of hurting him. In the end, Lime sighs and grabs it.

"I'll do it."

"Yeah, sure, let Lime do it, since she already has experience." Ren snaps sarcastically. "Should I show you where the vein is or do you remember the last time...?"

Lime ignores him and kneels beside us.

"Ready?" She asks him.

Ren shakes his head, scared, and looks to me, begging for me to be the one to say no.

"You need it." I insist.

"But I'll feel useless if I sleep now."

"You have to rest. I promise that we won't do anything until you wake up."

I nod at Lime and she pinches him with studied ease.

"I don't want to be a burden..." He goes on even though his eyes are closing.

"You're not." I hold him up when he goes limp in my arms. I kiss his forehead and add to myself, "You're the only thing pushing me forward."

            POV: JR

I'm the crazy one. I hope this goes over quickly, or else we'll end up becoming a precious duet in some psychiatric hospital... in the end.

I wait a few seconds for the atmosphere to relax and call back their attention to the important topics, because it's starting to seem like we're on vacation.

"Could you explain what you've seen, Baekho?"

He stares for a moment, situating himself, and then nods, digging through his pockets for a pencil and a piece of paper. He smoothes it over the floor.

"Okay, this is the building." He traces a rectangle and a few lines over the paper.

"You draw so well..." Aron comments sarcastically.

"Would you prefer to go see it yourself?" He snaps back. Come on, do they have to fight over everything?

"I'll be quiet." Aron says after a few seconds of clashing eye contact, recognizing that he's in the losing position. Baekho grins, satisfied.

"You better." Aron sits up stiffly, chest puffing out, but luckily the other ignores him and continues talking. "We're here. Here are the stairs we came in from, and here are the main doors." He puts down marks for each place as he talks. "It's not far but they can only be opened from the control room, which is here."

"So we have to get to the control room." Minhyun interrupts.

"Yes," our guide nods, "But that's on the top floor. There's a lot of vigilance up there."

"You said something about that before..." I remember. "What are the options?"

"Well, we can't go up the main stairs, that's obvious. We'll have to find another way to get there. There's many... let's say discreet entrances. Here, here, and here." He marks our improvised map again. "There must be more. I have to look for them."

"There's a few over here." Lime adds, pointing them out. "But if I know of them, the other guards will too and will be keeping watch." She admits, resigned.

"We'll cross them off then." I say to motivate her. After everything she's done for us, it'd be ironic for her to feel useless...

"Mmm..." Baek bites the pencil absentmindedly. "Of the three I said, did you know of any?" He asks Lime with the pencil between his teeth.

"This one sounds familiar." Lime signals at the map. "But not the rest."

"Then we can assume that they're not under watch."

"Which one seems the better option of the two left to you, Baek?"

"This one." He doesn't hesitate in responding.

"But it looks further away." I point out.

"Yeah, but the halls we'll have to take are more direct and less frequented." He explains. "I'll still look for more in the area anyway. Neither one is a great option..." He places the pencil in his mouth again and silence falls.

"What about the kids?"

Baekho looks surprised to hear that and makes a face.

"Ah. I forgot!" He exclaims. "Their room is around here." He marks another dot on the map, on the opposite side of all the other marks.

"It's far." I mumble.

"On the other side."

"Well then goodbye surprise factor. If we have to go for the kids first... I don't know, there'll be guards, they'll ring the alarms and we'll be back at square one..."

"Do you think there'll be a lot of watch over their room?"

"It depends on whether or not they think we'll go after them."

"In theory, we don't know they exist."

"In theory, we shouldn't have been able to escape our cages."

The answer is obvious. We don't have a clue. I look to Lime, asking for her opinion with my eyes. She shrugs.

"I don't think there'll be a lot of guards. Your priority is assumed to be to escape. They'll focus their forces on the doors and the control room. Maybe there's someone but... not many."

Then it's clear. First the kids, which we'll be able to pick up without calling any attention to ourselves, and then the control room, where guards will definitely be waiting for us and where it won't be easy to enter nor leave, and, last, the doors, which will be open, awaiting us.

Everyone sighs at this part of the plan. The part that, although abstract and not at all definite, is the only thing we really have clear. I prefer not the think of it much and share an understanding look with Minhyun. Neither one of us has anything waiting outside.

We know it'll be dangerous, but we don't want to even think of the possibility of failure.

Baekho shows us new halls and hiding places, always adding that there are more he needs to look for, and he suggests splitting up to move faster. Some go for the kids, the others to open the doors, but we discard the suggestion. We have to stick together.

Another important point that Lime reminds us of is that some guards are on our side. There's a secret group they belong to. Among many others (although I'm not optimistic about the numbers), she and Nara, the guard that helped us upstairs in the 'cages'. We want to count on them, but since we have no way of contacting them, we can't be sure of what they'll do.

"Regardless," Aron adds after various arguments over the pros and cons of halls and stairs that none of us have seen before, "we're going to run into guards at some point, right?"

"It would be too lucky not to..." Minhyun says with a small laugh that sounds slightly hysteric.

"Then we have to prepare ourselves for that. We have weapons here, but we have to learn to use them. Our powers will help us too, but we'll be able to benefit more from them if we practice. We could even make ourselves some sort of armor—"

"How are we going to make armor, dwarf?" And again we go...

"I'll repeat that I'm taller than you!"

"Aron..." Minhyun sighs, trying to stop them.

"You wish."

"Enough!" I yell. "You're both a pair of whiny runts. Now can we continue talking like people and not like fighting roosters?"

Aron clenches his fists and Baekho clicks his tongue, annoyed.

"Making armor will be difficult..." Minhyun admits. "But training ourselves is a good idea. Although it's not much, anything will help, right?"

I nod.

"It's a good idea..." Baekho agrees between his teeth.

Lime offers to teach us how to use the weapons and we discover that Minhyun is a really good shot. "Practice," he tells us with a shrug. No one dares to ask anything more.

We get to our feet, anxious to do more than plan uncertain events over an indefinite map. But we stop before doing anything. Ren is still sleeping, and we promised not to do anything without him.

            POV: Baekho

We spend the next minutes without really doing anything. We have to wait for Ren; I promised him we would. But if we don't find any new halls, there's nothing more to plan. And this forced lazing around when we have so many things to do is driving me crazy.

I should go look for the passages, scan the area and look for possible access points to the control room but... Separate from Ren? Not for anything. What if he wakes and I'm not at his side? Or if he needs me for something?

Honestly, it doesn't matter whether he needs me or not. I wouldn't be okay if I separated from him right now.

It looks like I'm not the only one who can't stand feeling useless.

"Do you think he'll get too angry if we train while he sleeps?" Minhyun seems nervous while he speaks, pushing Aron's hands from his waist in embarrassment.

At least it looks like the dwarf has found something to do...

"I'll talk to him." I tell them. "Even if he gets upset, I can't stand not doing anything either."

            POV: JR

We grab weapons and start what could be called "fighting lessons". I soon discover that I at it, and that we have a lot of work ahead of us...

"Hey, radar," Aron interrupts suddenly, calling Baekho with the nickname he gave him a few days ago. "You knew how to fence or something, didn't you? When we went looking for food, you fought with a guard like the baton was a sword."

Baekho nods.

"I did Kendo when I was little." He explains. "When he was in front of me, I did it automatically."

"You could try to teach us, too."

I must be hallucinating. This must be the most civil conversation these two have had since they met.

"You finally admit how pathetic you are and ask me for help?" I spoke too soon...

"You're the pathetic one!" He says, bristling. "You'll have to teach me so someone can cover your back up there."

"I don't need you to defend me."

"Are you scared I'll turn out being better than you are?"

"Do you guys always have to fight?" This time Lime is the one to interrupt them. And I mentally give her thanks for it. I'm tired of yelling...

            POV: Minhyun

Damn pride and damn hormones! Will they never get along? An uncomfortable silence falls and now the atmosphere is so tense that it could be cut with a knife. Someone say something, please.

Luckily, Lime restores order this time. She goes up to them and takes initiative.

"You two, come with me. If you want to fight with electric batons, at least let me show you how they work."

The both of them nod without taking their eyes off one another, giving the sensation that they'll start fighting again at any moment. Patience! They follow Lime to where we left the batons. I decide to go with them, I might as well learn too.

"Minhyun," JR stops me when I've only taken a few steps. I turn to look at him. "You know how to shoot, right? Could you teach me?"

"Of course."

I smile. I've never been very food with swords anyways. If I go train with them, I'll just be a bother. It'll be better for them to just vent off their testosterone on their own and I'll ask Aron to help me train later.

JR and I move away from the group. We grab a pair of handguns and I show him how to shoot, using a row of cans and glass bottles as targets. We've situated them on top of some type of wooden shelf.

He's not too bad at this.

            POV: Aron

Lime explains how to activate the electricity on the batons and how to change the intensity. Then she tells us how to hold them to strike the hardest, as well as the fighting techniques she learned as a guard. Baekho comments that it'll be easy to combine them with what he knows of Kendo and, finally, he decides to start showing me the movements and basic postures.

I thought Min would come to train with us, but he went to practice shooting with JR. They look to be having fun. They talk a lot between each bullet and, judging by their wide smiles, I doubt they're talking about guns. I'd like to be in JR's place right now instead of practicing Kendo with this blond radar... I should've been the one to ask Min to teach me how to shoot. We could've been alone and...

"OW!" Something smacks me on the head and distracts me from my thoughts. Baekho gives me a challenging stare, baton in hand. "What are you doing? Are you stupid? That hurts!"

"What do you mean what am I doing? You're the one at fault, idiot! You're not listening to me! Could you stop looking at Minhyun and concentrate?!"

Ah, so I've been discovered. I'd answer with a comeback but I know he's right. I bite my lip, swallow my pride and nod silently.

We train for a good while. I finally manage to concentrate on what we're doing. I have to admit that Baekho knows how to teach and he's very good at Kendo. It seems easy with him. I learn quickly. He's a good teacher. Although I'll deny having thought that in the future.

Min's and JR's loud laughs distract me again. My boy seems to be having a good time with the lunatic... I can't help but look at him again. I need to see him constantly. Why haven't I not seen him look over at me even once? He's so distracted with JR that he seems to have forgotten that I exist...

JR whispers something into Minhyun's ear and Min blushes. And smiles. That beautiful smile that, until now, he's only ever given me. That... love struck smile. It can't be. No, no, no, I'm seeing skeletons where there aren't any. Min only loves me. I'm acting like a possessive and jealous boyfriend. He and JR are friends; it's normal for him to smile at him. They're far away and I can't see them well. Surely that wasn't a smile of one who's in love. They're just chatting.

I should stop thinking dumb thoughts. Concentrate on training, let's go.

            POV: Baekho

How horrible to have to be here, training with this low dwarf... And he's not even paying attention!

I hit his head lightly, not wanting to hurt him, just grabbing his attention.

"What are you doing?" He complains grumpily.

I open my mouth to reply with words that are less than nice to tell him not to ignore me, but Lime is faster.

"Concentrate." She orders. "If you hold it like that, you'll drop it. Besides, you're covering the electricity dispenser. It's useless like that."

Aron nods at her advice and changes his hold. I grin to myself to see the dwarf scolded like this.

"And you," she continues, turning back to me. "This isn't a sword. Don't grab it with two hands; it's not that heavy. Or is all that muscle just a decoration?"

Her tone is so similar to my old Kendo instructor that it makes me smile. It's almost like returning to that time in my life.

Almost. With the small difference being that my dad wouldn't be coming to pick me up in his car when the class ends and that this time getting home will be more complicated. But we'll make it.