Chapter 21

Action

            POV: Baekho

We stay silent, unmoving, contemplating the freedom in this miniscule piece of sky, unwilling to move away or take our eyes off it. Unwilling to separate our bodies from this embrace or our intertwined hands.

It's not necessary. We both know that something much stronger than a hug holds us together, but it's pleasant. Actually, this is the happiest moment I can think of in years.

"What's on the other side, Baekho?" He asks, almost in a whisper, as if he's scared to break the reverent, almost magic, silence.

"Nothing." I say in the same tone. "Dirt up to the window. Nothing above it. Maybe a clearing, a garden, a field..."

"A grass field?" He asks hopefully. "Maybe?"

I smile.

"Maybe."

"Freshly cut grass..."

"Lying on it, with leaves pinching you..."

"And the smell... The smell of wet dirt... of grass that has just been cut... Do you remember the smell of grass?"

"Barely... I remember the texture... the freshness..."

"We'll feel it again..."

"Yes... soon..."

Silence falls again. We hardly even blink, hypnotized by the strength of the blue sky on the other side of a small and distant, tarnished glass. And then suddenly, we're both on our feet, noticing a change. There seems to be more light. No, it doesn't just seem like it, there is more light.

The first ray of sunlight pushes through the window and illuminates the floor a mere meters from us.

We look at one another.

"The sun..." He trembles. I nod. We grin.

I squeeze his hand and then let go. He moves forward, slowly, admiring, to the portion of the floor lit up four meters away. It grows with each second that the sun aligns itself more with the window. The light falls on his skin and he looks like he's glowing.

His beauty, with the sun only adding to it. I'm left breathless.

He's an angel.

This angel holds a hand out to me, calling me to stand beside him and enjoy this small piece of freedom.

            POV: Ren

We walk back to our camp in silence, with no hurry, after spending a long time observing that small ray of sunlight. If it wasn't for the fact that it disappeared, we'd still be there.

Neither of us say anything. We just hold hands. But this isn't an uncomfortable silence in which you don't know what to say. It's a silence in which there's just no need for words. Besides, I think Baekho has spoken enough for today and needs a few minutes to think of us.

I guess that, after that, we can consider ourselves boyfriends. Boyfriends, how nice that sounds... Especially since it means that I can kiss him and hug him whenever I want...

Speaking of boyfriends, I don't understand what's going on with Min and Aron. They were fine before and now they barely look at each other. I had said I shouldn't sleep; look what happens the second I take my eye off them. I have to find out what happened and get them to fix things, although I suppose JR must be tired of being the third wheel of the group. Poor thing.

            POV: Baekho

"Hey, Baek, did something happen between Min and Aron while I slept?"

I shrug. I haven't really thought much of it; it's not something that interests me much, although I am curious.

"They've been acting strangely for a few days. I don't know."

"But it's weird. You know how they were at the beginning. They wouldn't let go of one another."

I feel like there's an important difference between 'not letting go' and shoving their tongues down their throats each time they thought we weren't looking. But I nod and agree.

"Minhyun and JR spend hours talking. I mean, they did that before, but now it's all day. Aron is dying of jealousy, biting his nails the whole day."

"No, now he sharpens knives."

"At Lime's suggestion."

"That wants us to kill ourselves."

I can't help but laugh. Ren and his paranoia.

"Leave it, Rennie." I say, still laughing and tone soft.

"No, seriously." He insists, slightly upset. "She sees Aron with an expression that says 'I want to kill someone' and tells him to sharpen knives? She's not even being subtle anymore!"

I laugh and try to take it as a joke. Lime has helped us a lot, and although I'm a bit wary of her for having shot at Ren, I prefer not to eat my head too much. I'll continue trusting her. It's easier.

"Returning to that trio... How do you think it'll end up? Minhyun with Aron or with JR?"

Ren chuckles, although it's clear that he's not enjoying the thought.

"With Aron I hope, because if the druggie starts kissing JR, Aron will beat the lunatic up without a word."

"Well, I feel bad for JR. If he's really in love with Minhyun... I don't know, he's gone through a lot, and they get along well..."

"You don't like Aron, which is different."

I shrug. Denying that would be stupid considering how we always end up yelling at each other.

Ren sighs and continues talking. "I don't know about JR but... Minhyun and Aron had a special connection. It was love at first sight, a very intense love. Although now I'm not so sure. He always told me things before, but now he just jokes with the lunatic."

He looks really worried. But what can we do? I move closer and kiss his cheek, squeezing his hand. He looks up, blushing a bit.

"That's their business. We can't do anything about it. Don't think about it too much, okay?"

His lips curve into a teasing smile, as if challenging me.

"And what are you going to do to distract me? So that I won't think of them?"

I don't even have to think before leaning in to kiss him. His soft lips melt against mine. Gentle, sweet, perfect. We look at one another and smile.

"This is a good distraction." He admits.

"Seems so." We laugh and kiss again. I feel a pinch in my stomach, a fluttering over my whole body and a slight dizziness. We pull back to look at each other again, our foreheads pressed together. "You know, I just thought up a game." I say, moving back a bit. "To keep you occupied."

Ren laughs. His laugh is so precious... so refreshing...

"Then let's head back so you can explain it to me, okay?"

I nod and grab his hand to follow him through the darkness. His hand is glowing, lighting up our surroundings like a lantern. Even though there's no chance of getting lost, I clutch his long- hand tightly. I don't know what I'd do if I lost him...

            POV: Ren

We fall back into the silence from before and walk for a while longer to reach camp. Right now, nothing – not even the presence of that woman – is capable of ruining my mood. Or so I thought.

We arrive and the first thing I see is Minhyun hugging JR, talking with the guard woman while Aron is nowhere to be found. What the hell is going on now? It's clear that I can't leave Minhyun unwatched for even a moment. I don't understand what he's trying to do... nor what JR's intentions are. Does he want to take Aron's boyfriend away? I have to talk to Minhyun later. He says he loves him so much but lately he does nothing but hurt him. Aron might not be my best friend, isn't even close to being so. He always fights with Baekho and I didn't particularly like him at first but, after talking to him these days, I've realized he's a good guy and how in love he is with Minhyun. I don't want to see him suffer just because Minhyun doesn't come clean with his feelings.

I sit beside him without knowing what to say. He looks to be in a bad mood and I swear his eyes are red, like he's been crying. But when he sees us, he smiles knowingly and teasingly. I'm pretty sure he's imagining exactly what just happened. As I've repeated so many times, he knows me way too well and sometimes it's... uncomfortable. I look away before I blush. I hope he doesn't want a detailed explanation. , I need to find a conversation topic quickly. Think, Ren, think...

"H-hey, do you want to continue training?"

I cross my fingers in hopes that they'll accept, but Minhyun doesn't seem very enthusiastic about the idea. He lowers his head and looks at the floor like it's suddenly worth all of his attention.

"But I... I'm a bit tired, I'd rather not."

Baekho gives me a look that says he doesn't understand what's going on, like he's asking me if I'm not tired from walking too. But I return it with my own begging look so he'll play along. I need to do something and to distract Minhyun. Finally, he seems to understand and pressures him.

"Come on, in a real battle it won't matter if we're tired or not. We have to train our endurance too, don't we?"

"But I'm really not in the mood, I'm sorry..."

"Minhyun, I understand you but you should do it. You need to distract yourself and occupy your mind with other things."

JR intervenes as well. Take that, we're three against one! But Min doesn't look very convinced, no matter how reasonable the lunatic's advice is. Reason doesn't work, okay, so let's try something else...

"C'mon, Min, pleaaase." I insist with my best good little boy voice while I pull on his shirt. "I can't train without you and I really waaaaant toooo."

Ugh, this is so embarrassing...

            POV: Baekho

God, I want to bite him. He's so adorable...

            POV: Minhyun

I can't help but smile at Ren's behavior. It's surprising to see the inexpressive doll making such a cute face, like a little kid. He comes closer and pouts. God, I'm embarrassed for him. But he looks very cute. Baekho stares at him, gaping.

JR squeezes my hand in support, Baekho gives me a friendly smile as motivation, and even Lime nods in an attempt to convince me. They all seem worried with the way they're trying to encourage me. It feels strange for so many people to worry about me. It's never happened to me before, and it makes me very happy.

            POV: Ren

Finally, a small smile appears on his lips and he nods while he stands. Good! I've just done the most ridiculous thing in my life, but it's been worth it. Aish, this Minhyun... I stand as well and hold out a hand to Baekho to pull him up to his feet. And, taking advantage of how close he gets, I give him a quick kiss before turning to look for the weapons with a wide grin. I love not having to hold back anymore.

            POV: Baekho

Since it's impossible to see anything outside of this circle of light, we grab various lanterns and scatter them around, turning them up a bit. But Ren stops us, telling us not to waste energy on that. He activates his ability and it brightens up the place. It's not much, but he has his shine... Startling.

"This light is different." Minhyun notes. "Different from a few days ago when we arrived."

Ren smiles sheepishly.

"I tried to make it look like sunlight, but I don't know if..."

Yes, it looks like it, like the light we've just spent hours contemplating.

"It's lovely." I tell him. Ren smiles and I kiss his forehead before backing up a few meters.

When we looked through the storehouse, we found a box of old masks among thousands of other useless things. The masks are white like the guards', the majority are broken or simply worn out. I call out a few with my voice and look at Minhyun and Ren. The both of them stand there, prepared with a pair of guns.

"You toss them and we shoot them in the air, right?"

"Yes," I say, "so you can practice on moving targets."

They nod. They're much too relaxed.

I send out the first and they both shoot in an instant. The first bullet misses, but Minhyun hits it with a second one before it reaches the floor and Ren's impacts with one of the fragments a moment later. Their aim really is enviable.

I nod again and toss a second mask. I know this time they'll get it first try; this is too easy. I can't help a smile as I whisper a few notes and the mask moves a few centimeters in the air, just enough to dodge their bullets.

Minhyun's eyes go wide in surprise and Ren frowns, determined. The both of them shoot again and I avoid them again.

Gunshots ring. I wouldn't mind having some earmuffs. I'll bring it up later. I'm pretty sure I saw some somewhere...

The gunfire lasts five, ten, twenty minutes. Each time they shoot down one mask, I toss another. When they run out of bullets, they reload quickly, hurrying to make sure there's not a moment that goes by without shots being fired. At first, I'd noticed a slight wind a few times, but Minhyun stopped wasting the energy when he realized it didn't affect my mind control. Lime and JR observe and, every now and then, they pitch in a few comments like "that one was really good!" "Pay attention to where you're shooting. Don't aim right at where the mask is."

It's obvious that I have the advantage since they can't modify the bullet's path once it's shot while I can still move around, but I have to pay attention to the both of them and, in minutes, my throat starts to feel dry and my mind starts to grow tired. I force myself to keep going, knowing endurance is something I have to work on as well, but I notice that the light is dimming and the three of us are tired. The twelfth or thirteenth mask is blown to bits and I stop to catch my breath.

JR brings a bottle of water and all three of us drink greedily.

I pour some water over my head and dry off with my shirt.

"There's three left." I say encouragingly.

"You want to keep going?"

"Come on, it's super cool! Let's go, Baek, throw another one."

"It's a good exercise; very complete."

JR's comment about the training exercise I've planned swells up my pride a little. But, right now, nothing can surpass the joy of seeing Ren so excited about the game. I grin and toss the next mask. They destroy it in the act.

"You're being crushed, Baekho!"

"Shut up! It's two against one!"

Ren stops shooting and turns his attention to something he sees behind me. I turn and see that Aron has returned. He sets down a huge bag of food in the middle of our refuge and sits away from the group. He doesn't even come up to say hello. Stupid tadpole.

"You're right; two against one isn't fair." Ren admits. "You guys continue. I'm tired now."

He puts away the gun and goes off to talk to Aron. He'll tell me if he figures something out about the mess these three have gotten themselves into. I do my part and pull back my attention to Minhyun, tossing up another mask.

"I think I'll call it quits too, I'm tired..." he murmurs. "Let's stop for today..."

No, none of that. He was feeling better, but seeing the dwarf has brought back that depressed face he's had since we arrived.

"Come now, Min. I only have one left, the last one."

He's about to reply, but I insist and in the end he gives in.

I try to make it last as long as possible and, though I'm tired, now that there's only one opponent it's easier. A good ten minutes pass before he manages to hit me. He smiles and makes a small sign of victory. His face darkens again soon after, but at least I've managed to distract him for a while. It's something, at least.

He thanks me for the game and I automatically respond with one of the gestures we used to do when I practiced Kendo. Then he goes to JR and Lime, who are chatting away in a corner, and I approach Ren and Aron, who are talking on the other side of camp.

            POV: Ren

I sit beside him and he looks at me without saying anything. He looks like he's in a really bad mood. I don't know whether I should ask directly or wait until he tells me himself, although I supposed that we don't have that much trust between us...

"Hey, what's wrong? Brighten up that expression, man!"

"Leave me alone, Ren. Go away."

Wow, he must be in a really bad mood if he's calling me Ren. Ever since the 'great' nickname occurred to him and he saw that I didn't like it, he hasn't stopped using it.

"Huuuh? What's this? I'm not your 'princess' anymore?"

Yeah. Princess. As if I needed someone to remind me that I have a girlish appearance. As soon as I get the chance, I'm cutting my hair. Preferably before he starts calling me 'Rapunzel' or some other 'ingenious' nickname.

"No, you're not one. And the one who is doesn't seem like one lately." He says in a voice that is much too sad. Whatever it is, it seems to be serious this time... I don't understand how Minhyun can ignore him when it's obvious he's not well from miles away.

"C'mon, don't be like this. What happened? It can't be that bad... can it?"

I have to know what the hell is going on. What could have happened that made them stop talking and made them cry alone? Aron hesitates and lowers his head while he shrugs.

"He told me he doesn't want to marry me..."

Ohh, so it's that. Wait... WHAT THE HELL?

"Ma-marriage... What? You mean... you proposed to Minhyun? Seriously?"

He nods as if it's the most normal thing in the world, like it's been a lot longer than a week since they met. He really has said "hi, want to marry me?". It doesn't surprise me that Min went running scared.

"Bu-but... I know you love him lots and all that but... isn't it a bit... soon?"

"Soon? Why would it be? We love each other... Besides, marriage was secondary... What I really wanted was for us to live together."

I guess he can tell I'm still freaking out by my face because he sighs in resignation. He leans on the wall and explains the whole conversation with grand gestures, along with a few mentions of JR which are filled with hate.

"Okay so you caught him off guard but that's no way to say things and he's been acting strangely for a few days... Hey, I have an idea. If you want, I can help you make  him jealous." I lean in, keeping my eyes on his. Jealousy is always a universal topic within couples. "Although I don't know if it'll help much..."

"Really? You'd do that?"

            POV: Aron

Ren brings his face close to mine, much closer than I expected from him. Somehow, his usually inexpressive face has a playful tone to it. It's amusing to me and I decide to play along. Sure, we both know it's unlikely to help much, but there's nothing to lose from messing around a bit either when we both know it's not serious, right? Just to try...

I smirk and decrease the distance between us. I can see the surprise it gives him but he doesn't move. I place a hand on the back of his neck to pull him close and he lets me. His long, blond hair falls between my fingers while I continue leaning in slowly. Until the distance between our lips is mere centimeters. Until I can feel his warm breath. Until...

Until something harshly grabs the back of my shirt and rips me away from Ren, throwing me to the floor.

"Ahem..."

Ow! That hurt! He strangled me!

"What are you doing, damn beast?!"

I turn towards my attacker and find a Baekho with a face that is anything but friendly. Oops. Looks like my game with Ren has worked too well...

            POV: Baekho

"What are you two doing?"

I stare at them angrily. Just what I needed; the tadpole making moves on my boyfriend. Excuse me, but no. If your boyfriend doesn't pay attention to you, you get a life. You don't touch my blond.

But Ren giggles, making clear that it was nothing serious and I relax a bit.

"You're so cute when you're jealous, Baek..."

Wh-what... Did he have to say that? How embarrassing... But I don't think of it for long because he gets up and kisses me quickly. Butterflies return to my stomach. I smile, grab his hand and we sit beside Aron, who stares off to the side and sulks.

"If you're going to cuddle like that, do it out of my sight please."

"Of course, because I've never had to watch your 'cuddling' with Min..."

Ren smacks my neck. Lightly, but giving me a scolding look that tells me to shut up.

"Don't worry; you won't have to see that ever again..." Aron mumbles, each word sounding sadder than the one before.

"Sorry, it's a habit..."

Ren sighs, tired, but even then he looks happy, overflowing with joy, contrasting completely with Aron's depressed and gloomy aura. It's a strange effect...

"Well then, catch me up..."

They explain to me the situation more or less, although it doesn't clear up much for me since none of us know what's going though Minhyun's head. Ren guesses that he's distanced himself because he's scared that they're going too quickly. I nod, agreeing completely, gaining a burning glare from the dwarf. But Aron insists that it can't be just that, that Min has fallen in love with JR... And although we insist that he hasn't, the fact that those two are chattering together nearby doesn't help.

"Come on, Aron, have a little faith. You'll see, he'll realize that he's mistaken and return to you..."

And I have to ask myself, yet again, what I'm doing trying to make him feel better? I suppose that I'd be worse off in his position...

"You've barely been apart since you met. No one falls out of love so suddenly."

"But..."

"He's just confused." I insist. "Give him time. He'll come back..."

"I'm sure he's regretting what happened and doesn't know how to apologize. Baek's right. Just give him some time."

I don't know if it'll help much, but the thought is what counts, right?

            POV: JR

Minhyun is truly miserable. Aron is even worse. They should stop with this foolishness already...

Luckily, Min seems a bit happier right now.

"And did you watch the one about the superheroes? They were like the ones in the movies but younger, in school, I can barely remember..."

"It rings a bell... Yeah, and there was a journalist that always interviewed at the end of each episode."

"Yeah, that one! I don't even know what it's called..."

"Me neither... I barely remember the title of any... Wait, there was one... about mysteries... but with supernatural things... they had a dog with a really weird name..."

"Yes! It was... gah, I watched that one when I was three years old! No idea..."

Lime has gotten Minhyun out of his well of sadness by asking him about things from the outside. Nothing personal. Movies, cartoons, television programs... Topics that never fail.

Minhyun seems much better now, and honestly I feel a lot better too. These are things that remind us of better times, and it's appreciable. But I don't add much to the conversation. I had never been one to spend hours in front of the TV and I'm out of input soon enough. I satisfy myself with listening to them two, who seem like a pair of experts.

Meanwhile, I play around with the gun Minhyun had just used to train. On one hand, I envy his aim and his skill with weapons, his as well as Ren's. On the other hand... I can't stop thinking of what these training sessions mean... the ones we have so much fun in... are preparing us to kill in the end. It seems much too macabre...

Sometimes things aren't limited to being good or being bad. Sometimes the situation calls for drastic measures and, right now, the only options are to kill or die... Much too drastic, much too disgusting that I've gotten used to the weight of weapons in my hands.

I clutch the gun tightly, and for a moment I wish all of this would disappear. To squeeze my eyes shut and open them again to my home, to my parents, alive...

And suddenly the feeling of a weapon in my hand disappears. I've lost control for just a moment but the gun has become dust, slipping from between my fingers. No, no, no!

I look down at my hand and the gun is there again, whole, without a single scratch.

Wait...

Did I imagine it? No, it can't be... I know it disintegrated. I felt it, and then it was one piece again. Is it possible? Am I hallucinating?

"Are you okay, Jonghyun?"

Min shakes me to catch my attention, but I don't take my eyes off the weapon, searching for some indication of what I saw, that I'm not completely insane.

"Jonghyun? What's wrong?"

"Are you okay?"

I don't understand... I look at them, wanting to explain what happened without a clue as to how to do so.

"I... um... I think that... I destroyed it and it formed again..."

Min raises an eyebrow. Lime doesn't react at all.

"Sure..."

"I'm serious!" I insist. "I felt it disintegrate. I thought about having to fix it and suddenly it was whole again..."

They don't believe me. It's obvious they don't. But it happened! Did it happen? What if I just imagined it?

I look at the weapon, fully intact. I don't know what to think. I must've imagined it... But if I really did do it, does that mean I can fix things I break? That my ability isn't just to destroy, but to create as well? That would be... I don't have the words, but it would make me feel so much better. I want it. I want this to be real.

I disintegrate the weapon consciously this time, and imagine the dust joining together again to form its original shape. But nothing happens. I summon the same sensation I have when I 'destroy' something, and I visualize it, but it continues to be a small pile of black dust.

"Seems like it doesn't work."

"Leave it, Jonghyun. You must've imagined it..."

"No, I didn't imagine it. I'm sure I didn't..."

I continue trying it, visualizing it again and again, but nothing happens.

"What's going on?" Baek asks from the other side of our circle of light.

"JR is hallucinating."

"He thought he could reconstruct something he destroyed..."

The two blonds come closer to watch.

"Seriously? That'd be awesome..."

"Yes, but now it's not working. He must've just imagined things."

"I wasn't talking to you, ."

I ignore them and continue concentrating. I know it was real, I know what I did and I can do it again, even if it's just a hunch. I know it. And then the shavings of metal move, piecing together their prior form for an instant, but fall limply a second after.

"Oh!"

"Did you see that?"

"Yeah... it looks like..."

"I'll make it happen! I can do it, I need to practice..."

"Well, speaking of practice..."

            POV: Ren

After over an hour of trying to get a hit in without the baton tumbling out of my hand or hitting myself, I quit. I'm done with wasting my time on looking like an idiot! Besides, Min still looks as depressed as ever. But it's his fault for not clearing himself up!

"! I can't do it now and I'll never be able to! Can't I go back to the guns?"

"It's okay, Ren. Come on, try it again. It's better that we all know how to fight a little with everything.

It's okay? No, Baekho, sweetheart, it's not okay. No matter how many times I try, I won't get any better so I should concentrate on shooting and improve on that.

"Nah, you should just quit. You're useless." Min says in an annoyed tone.

W-what? What the hell is wrong with him? If he's making a mess of his relationship with Aron, he has no reason to aim hard feelings at me!

            POV: Minhyun

I'm not in a good mood. I don't feel like training and blondie won't stop complaining. I'm tired of this. It looks like he doesn't like my comment, seeing as he sends me a murderous look that turns my blood to ice. Sometimes he scares me.

"Excuse me? I might be useless with weapons, but at least I'm not with my own boyfriend, unlike you. If you aren't, why the hell did you kiss JR?"

He did not just say that. He did not, he did not, he did not. WHY THE HELL DID HE SAY THAT?! As if we aren't on bad terms already!

            POV: JR

Huh? Minhyun kissed me? When? Why? I think I've missed out on something...

            POV: Minhyun

I have to say something, I have to fix this. I respond nearly without thinking.

"No! I didn't kiss him! I just gave him a pill mouth to mouth!"

"But you shoved your tongue down his throat!"

WH-AT?! SERIOUSLY? Haven't you ruined things enough god damn it?! , , . Now what do I do?

"I did it to save his life!" I scream desperately.

, Aron is behind me. He's heard it all. He's not going to forgive me. He must hate me, he's going to leave me.

Why did he have to ing say that?!

            POV: JR

Ohhh, I think I'm starting to understand what's going on here...

            POV: Ren

, I've gone too far.

... why did I think it was a good idea to say that? I'm so stupid...

I hear a loud punch and a huge hole appears in the wall. Aron. Judging by his expression, he doesn't know whether to break down crying or destroy the whole room. And I was complaining about Min screwing things up...

When he speaks, he does it with his hands in fists and a broken voice, unable to even lift his gaze from the floor.

"So it was true... I was right..."

Min looks like he's been shot when he hears that. He stretches an arm towards him like he wants to hold him back with his trembling hand.

"Aron! Aron, wait! I didn't..."

But he doesn't seem to hear him. He turns and goes off running while Min falls to his knees in sobs.

, what did I do...?