Chapter 4

Action

            POV: Minhyun

My cell. The same fog, the same bricks. The same dirt, the same darkness. The same old mirror. Everything is as it always is, except for me. I've changed. I'm no longer resigned to my fate. I've decided to fight.

Seated in my usual spot, I entertain myself with making patterns in the sand on the floor with my finger. The effect of the drugs is wearing off so I'm now able to move a bit. I take advantage of this because I know it won't last. They never allow it to.

I hear something. Someone's coming. It must be one of the guards bringing me food.

I don't want to eat. I'm hungry, but I don't want to eat. It's obvious that I can't do anything to stop him though. I can't move much and he would never listen to me. On top of that, he'd find it suspicious and tell them about it. And they'd start watching me. Or he might even beat me if he's in a foul mood.

And so, as always, I let him feed me. I eat everything given to me obediently. Just like always.

Satisfied, he grabs the tray and leaves.

But things aren't like they were before and I refuse to eat. It's difficult to lift my arm, but with enough effort I manage to do it. Without a second of hesitation, I shove two fingers into my mouth, going as deep as I can. The tips of my fingers brush the back of my throat and, just like I wanted, provoke a sickly heave.

In no time I've thrown up everything I've just eaten. I manage to turn my head enough not to dirty myself. If I did, they'd notice.

I feel sick. My stomach hurts. This is disgusting but it's necessary.

Slowly and with difficulty, I attempt to cover all evidence with dirt and sand. It'll take a while, but it's fine. There's plenty of time before they return.

            POV: Ren

The time has finally arrived. We're going to do it, we're going to get out of here. We're going to show them who we truly are. This is going to be the spectacle of our lives.

I dig up the hole I hide our notes in and pocket them. They're precious to me. They've given me strength throughout these two long years. There's nothing else tying me here, just some chains that won't keep me for much longer.

I look over the cuffs around my wrists. The thick, rough bracelets are tight against my skin. I try to separate my wrists. It hurts. The metal digs into my flesh and the metal is too strong to be broken so easily. I keep trying, pulling at the seams until my old cuts are reopened. Scars cover my wrists.

This obviously isn't going to work. I'll have to use my powers.

First try. Light engulfs my wrists in an explosion that is reflected in the mirrors. It doesn't seem to do much. Crap. I try again. Once, twice more. It's starting to get tiring. I've never used my abilities so many times at once. But it does have an effect and finally, after many tugs, the chains break.

Jeez. Well it was about time. My hands are finally free after so long. It feels good. But I can't linger on the feeling too long; there's still another chain left. I sit on the floor and start the process over again. One explosion after another. It becomes more difficult each time. I'm tired but I have to hurry. One, two, three more explosions and it falls apart as well. At last. I know I have to get out now but I allow myself a moment to rest on the floor. The cuffs around my ankles and wrists are annoying but at least now I can move around.

It's time. Finally, after all the damn time I've spent here, I stand and leave my prison.

            POV: Baekho

Ren has left his cage. One.

            POV: Minhyun

No one has noticed. Yes! They aren't so all-knowing after all.

I've covered up all traces as best I could, but it smells really, really bad. It makes me dizzy just being beside all that.

But they haven't noticed it. I guess the smell of dirtiness, mud and humidity have camouflaged it. That as well as some sort of air filter that I'm fairly certain the guards all carry around. They probably think I'll try to poison them using my control over the air they breathe somehow. Could I do it? Maybe. I've never tried. And for now it doesn't seem necessary.

I've been left alone and now's the time. The time to escape, to begin our spectacle, to show the world who we are.

I lift my arm to check that it's responsive – that I can move it at will. It's difficult, but I can do it. How long has it been since I've been able to?

Perfect. It worked. Just like I had suspected, they gave me the paralyzing drugs through food. A few hours after every meal, I would be able to make minimal movements. And when that happened, the guards would come to feed me. And, once again, I'd be like a drowsy doll. Not a single muscle in my body would obey me.

But now I've stopped eating and thus haven't ingested any drugs. I can move and they have no idea. I'll have to take advantage of that.

But there's a problem. Without food, my body – and my abilities – has become weak. I can't control the elements as well as I'd like to. I'm pretty sure I'm still strong enough to escape this cage and meet up with the others. Then they'd help me; they also have abilities. And we'll run away together.

I use every ounce of concentration and sheer will in my body to get my body to cooperate. Using my arms for balance, I manage to get to my feet.

I'm standing! Without anyone holding me up! I haven't done this since I got here. My legs are trembling.

I didn't think this simple fact would make me so happy. So happy that I have the urge to scream and jump in joy. I don't feel strong enough to jump yet and I doubt screaming would be a good idea in my situation.

So I limit myself to following the plan instead. Leaning against the wall, I manage to walk forward. I feel like I'm taking my second first steps. I must look like a child learning to walk and being so proud of himself.

I attempt to step away from the wall, but the moment I let go I lose my balance and fall on my face. That didn't work...

As soon as I'm up again, I decide not to move away from the wall again.

I've reached the door to my cage. I use a tiny burst of fire, the fire they never let me use, to melt the locks.

Cautiously, I nudge it open enough to see the hallway. Luckily, there's no one there.

But there are cameras. I can't let them see me; there's an easy solution to that.

I look to the first of the cameras and soon enough it's in flames. My flames.

I grin, glad to see that it worked and that it's not too difficult to do. With determination, but also with the utmost care, I step out into the hall that I've come to know the white walls of so well. But this time I'm not heading towards the cleaning room like usual. This time I'm here to leave and never return.

            POV: Baekho

Minhyun managed to get out too. Two.

            POV: Aron

I watch the flames dance around me. I glare at them with eyes full of hate but it doesn't affect them at all. They continue to move quickly without a single care. To me they're like devils, like the source of all my nightmares. These flames convert this place into hell. Almost literally.

My hair is styled, my clothes are of the finest and the makeup on my face covers any and every blemish. Ready for the next performance. Something I'm hopelessly hoping will never happen.

All I can do is wait sitting here on the floor and leaning against a bar. The same way I always am. Doing nothing but staring at fire without actually seeing it and letting my imagination take me somewhere very, very far away. A place I've been in before, or maybe somewhere I'd like to be. Somewhere where there is peace and no pain.

A deafening sound interrupts my thoughts. I know that screech all too well. It's the noise the door makes when it opens. Although it's a bit different from how it normally is. It almost sounds like the door's deadlock has... melted? No, I must've imagined it. New visitors maybe? Nope, it's still too early. It must be the guards.

I look over in time to see someone enter. It's hard to see clearly with the flame wall in the way, making me strain and squint in an attempt to see him.

It's a boy. He's alone. He looks younger than me. He doesn't look like a guard; he doesn't have the white mask. I glance over his delicate face and model-like figure. He's really very handsome.

He seems to be someone like me. His clothes are similar to mine and his hair is done in Yoonjo's unique style.

The traces of dirt on his white clothes catch my attention. They should be perfectly white. It almost looks like he'd fallen headfirst into a pile of mud.

Then again, looking at the way he moves, the idea doesn't seem so farfetched. It looks like it's difficult for him to move and he's walking along the wall. His movements are slow and rough, like his body isn't responding like it should.

He's trying to come closer to me. When he realized that following the wall won't get him any closer, he hesitates a few seconds and then decides to separate from it. He stumbles and I'm sure he's about to fall over but he manages to keep his balance and move forward. He smiles. He must be happy with this achievement.

He arrives at the small metal fence that is supposed to serve as a safety-indication to the visitors. There's a warning sign that says they shouldn't go any further, that it's dangerous. Once he sees it, he doesn't hesitate to attempt to jump over it. The fence isn't very high, but with his clumsy movements he trips and falls to the floor.

The fall doesn't seem to do much harm because he quickly gathers himself. Instead of standing again, he crawls the rest of the way. He stops moving only when he realizes that going any further will only put him in the way of the wall of flames.

Without thinking twice, I get up and head towards him. I kneel down to be at eyelevel.

We're very close. The only thing separating us is a wall of fire. Now I can see his face clearly, can see exactly how princely and lovely he is. His eyes are piercing and his lips are curved in a sweet smile. A strange fluttering starts in my stomach and an intense heat spreads from my insides to my head. My face flushes and my hands are beginning to get sweaty. What's happening with me? I must be too close to the fire

"Hello. So you're the guy who runs from fire in room 2. I'm Hwang Minhyun."

"Who are you?"

"I'm like you. I'm from the first room."

"And how... What are you doing here? If they find out that you've escaped, they'll—!"

"What are you saying? Baekho said he got a paper plane to you. He said you know about our plans."

Baekho? Paper planes? Oh, right, the planes... the escape plans... the rebellion...

"Yeah, I got a plane. But I decided that I won't be joining you guys and burned it. Baekho didn't tell you that?"

"He told me that you're confused and that I should come look for you and take you with us. Come on, come with me."

"I can't. I'm sorry."

My voice breaks. My whole body trembles. Because of this strange sensation, that strange desire of freedom that has been repressed for so long. And at the same time because I'm scared. I'm scared of the pain, of suffering and of the unknown. I'm scared of the possibilities.

"Are you stupid? What do you mean you can't? Of course you can! You can't stay here the rest of your life, submitting yourself to torture and someone else's whims like an idiotic coward! Right? You have to get out of here and get back your freedom and live your life! You have to be happy and show them who you are! Please...!"

Of course I'd like to leave this place. I want to get out of this hell. This place disgusts me. I want to stop being treated like an object. I want to feel like a person again. I want to have a conversation with someone, a conversation that's more than simple orders. And I want to see the sun again, the sky... To feel rain on my skin... To not have new burns appearing across my flesh day after day. To not have fire chasing after me. To not be tortured...

Maybe I should go... No! Of course not! I can't think those things again! A decided to bury all absurd thought of liberty a long time ago. I decided to crush my hopes and dreams. Because it's easier that way. That way, I'd save myself the frustration and the sense of powerlessness. I'd save myself the horror of feeling the desperation to want to do something but knowing that I'll never be able to.

When you're treated like an object, isn't it easier to pretend that you truly are one? It's better to have those with the power to do with you as they please satisfied. It saves you a lot of suffering. And, really, if you're treated like an object you end up feeling like you are one. You end up falling into the most profound form of submission. It may sound horrible, but it's the best option.

I've already become obedient and submissive. I won't change now. I won't risk everything now. I don't want to suffer even more because of this.

Although the thought of being free again... No! I have to get those thoughts out of my head!

"I'm not like you all! I've already told you that I won't leave. You're all senseless, get away from me..."

"Please...! Think of your family, of your home, of your dreams. You have dreams, don't you? There must be something you want to do with your life. Places you want to be, people you want to meet... You won't get to do any of that if you stay here! Come, there has to be something. Think about it, please..."

My family... I have a family... I guess I've been trying to forget them. I thought it would be better to pretend that they never existed. I loved them a lot. And our apartment is in the middle of Los Angeles, in a skyscraper with an amazing view... My friends... And my dream... Yeah, I had a dream. I wanted to be a singer. I loved music. Most of all, I loved rap. I wasn't too bad at it either. I'm sure I would have made it.

But that's all impossible now. I've lost everything forever.

But... is it really too late? My family could still be looking for me... Maybe my friends haven't forgotten me... And rap? Maybe I still remembered how to do it... If I could get out of this place, then maybe...

Again, I tell myself I shouldn't think like that. We'd never make it. But what if we did? What if I could be free again? No, I can't, I shouldn't... but I want it... but I shouldn't... I'm becoming a mess...

I hesitate. I thought I had it clear, but now I hesitate.

"But I..."

"I didn't want to do it either. I didn't think it was possible. But in the end I've decided that I want to try it. I'd rather try to escape and die in the attempt than forever live in this hell. And if they catch me and the new torture is worse than before, I'll at least know that I've tried, that I didn't resign myself to this. That I'm not a puppet in their hands because I've fought for my dreams to the end. I'll know that I'm still my own person and have my own will."

His tone has changed from aggressive to gentle. His words and his intense stare stab at my heart and bring wetness to my eyes, but I manage to fend off the tears. My head is spinning. I can't think clearly. The words won't come out of my mouth, although I can't think of anything to say anyway. I don't know what to do.

The urge to escape – to go far away, to risk it all – grows inside of me. This feeling that I thought I had buried forever... It has surfaced again. I had thought it was gone but it's still there. Now it's pushing me to attempt this, to let my desires lead me. And all because of him.

But I still  have my doubts. I'm scared. This could be my death sentence.

"I know it's scary; I'm scared, too. And I know it'll be hard and there's a strong possibility that they'll catch us, but think about it for a bit... What if we do succeed? What if they don't catch us? Don't you think it's worth it to try? No matter how small the possibility is that everything will go well, it exists, and I think it's worth it to cling onto that possibility and risk it all."

I take a deep breath and meet his gaze. His eyes shine. With determination, with hope. He really does believe that it's possible. Maybe we can do it. Maybe it's worth the risk.

"Either you come with me or I won't move from here. I'm not leaving you behind."

His words shock me. He's serious about this, there's no trace of a lie in his eyes. He's willing to do this for me. He's risking everything just for me. The thought stabs at my chest.

Now I see everything clearly. I'm going to try. I'm going to play all of my cards. We can do this, I'm sure of it. I'll be free again. I'll see my family, I'll accomplish my dreams... And I won't suffer again. I'll leave this place behind once and for all.

I take another deep breath and meet his eyes again.

"You're right. I'll go with you."

"Yes! Thank you!"

Despite the difficulty he has moving, he automatically gives a little jump of joy and sends me a satisfied, content smile. He has a beautiful smile... Seeing him happy makes me feel good.

It's not long before I return to reality.

"Hey, but... How am I going to get out of here? My ability is agility, but the fire is too intense. Jumping through it would kill me."

"I can control the elements. I've been using it too much, plus I haven't eaten in a few days and I'm very weak. I'm not strong enough right now to snuff out flames I haven't made myself, but I could lower the intensity. Think you can jump through them then?"

I nod. I'm determined to try. I climb up the metal structure for the final time. This'll be my last act with these flames.

I jump swiftly from bar to bar until I reach a spot good enough to pick up a fast enough run.

"I'm ready when you are."

He fixes the flames in front of me with a stare and they immediately bend to his will and lower in intensity. I move from bar to bar quickly in order to pick up speed and jump directly into the fire, crossing it.

I've gotten through it but my clothes have gone ablaze. I land on my feet on the other side but fall over right after, writhing from the pain as the fire envelops my entire body.

But that only lasts an instance. A surge of cold, refreshing water rushes over me and puts out the fire on my skin. What was that?

I sit up, soaked and aching, to see the now pale and panting boy collapse before my eyes. He looks tired. He said he could control the elements. The water was definitely his doing. He's saved my life on top of setting me free.

I run to him and lift his head and shoulders from the floor carefully. His eyes flutter open.

"Are you okay? I'm sorry... I couldn't lower the intensity of the fire any further. I didn't want you to get burned..."

"I'm fine. I feel better than ever. And you know why? Because I'm not in there anymore, because I've stood up to the fire and escaped it. Because I defeated it and now I'm free. All thanks to you. Thank you, I can't even begin to tell you how grateful I am."

I let my emotions take over and hug him. As soon as I realize what I'm doing I pull away. I don't want to make him uncomfortable. But he's smiling at me. He's happy. I decide I'll do anything to make sure he never stops smiling like that.

"I can't move very well because they've had me sedated. Help me stand and get out of here?"

"Of course. You've saved me, now let me be the one who helps you. I'll be your arms and legs while you can't move. I'll protect you."

With that said, I turn around and help him climb onto my back. His legs wrap around my waist and his arms go around my neck. I hold onto his thighs to make sure he won't fall. I head towards the door with a new, brisk pace.

"Careful, there's cameras in the hall. We have to destroy them."

"I'll take care of that."

I can feel his breath against my neck as well as his heartbeat against my back. The feeling brings goose bumps to my skin. For some reason, I like having his warm body embracing me. It feels nice.

I'll protect him no matter what. Getting out of here isn't just about me anymore. Now it's for him, too. I want to escape together. I want to see him be free and happy, so that pretty smile never leaves his lips.

With those thoughts in mind, I open the door – discovering that the deadbolt really is melted down – and, together, we head out into the unknown.

            POV: Baekho

And Aaron. Three. My turn.

I sing the same four notes I always do and the cuffs release my hands. Each time I do it, it becomes easier. Almost as if the cuffs recognize the melody. I stand up from my chair and pick up my tiny treasures. Ren's notes.

Opening the zip of the curtain is no difficult task for me. A simple whisper and the padlock lets go and the curtain opens all on its own, revealing the path to freedom.

I tear off my necklace and launch one of the pieces at the nearest camera. I use my voice to guide it directly into the lens to break it. Now it can't record.

Perfect.

I repeat the process multiple times as I advance down the hall in the direction of cage 5. That's where they keep the only one of my companions that hasn't been exhibited yet. That's where I'll meet up with my allies. With Ren.

            POV: JR

I wake up. I open my eyes. Or maybe I've fallen asleep. I don't know. I don't know anything anymore. I'm in the room of mirrors again. Is this real? Or is this the dark house with the bloody woman? I don't know. I don't know anything. I can see myself in the mirrors. I shine. Everything shines.

Well no, not everything.

There are stains. Dark stains. Red. They grow. Now I'm in the pitch black house again. The woman is still reaching her arms out towards me. She wants to touch me, and I want to move closer to her. But she doesn't move. Because she's dead. I don't move either. Am I dead?

No, I'm not dead. I know I'm not because it hurts and because I can see the mirrors and my reflection inside of them. And because I can feel the tears fall in wet trails down my face. I'm crying? Why am I crying?

A light appears. An intense light. From the floor. It hurts my eyes. Too much light.

I close my eyes and the blood and darkness return. I prefer the light and mirrors. The darkness is sad.

I stare at the light. My eyes hurt. I keep staring and then I see a face. A girl. A blonde. She's smiling. And more blood. I don't like blood. It's too... red.

It's suffocating me. It's hard to breathe with so much blood, especially when it's so red. Red mirrors, red lights, red cables... I'll drown. I'M DROWNING. AIR!

The door opens.