Forbidden Confession

A Transparent World
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

That day, like the other days, she walked to the river again. With the new determination to make Lay fall for her, she confidently strolled through the alley to the river.

She saw Lay, sitting at the usual bench. She walked closer, but then stopped when she heard another voice. She tried to take a better look. ‘Oh, it is just Luhan. He is early today.’ She thought.

She continued walking towards them without wary.

“So, you are going to confess to her today?”

At that, her feet stopped walking. The earth must have started to shake because her knees were suddenly wobbling. Or is it her knees that were shaking? She could hear the blood pounding faster than normal behind her ears. Then, as if on instinct, she hid herself at the bush nearby. Hidden from their views but just close enough to listen in on their conversation.

“Yeah, I will.” She could hear Lay’s answer. “It has been dragging on too long. I think it’s time for me to leave too.”

“But, it will break her heart,” Luhan said, a tone of argument could be heard in his voice.

“I know. But, it is better for her. For me too. We both should try to move on.” Somehow, there was agony in his beautiful voice.

“When?” Luhan asked curtly. “When are you going to confess to her?” He insisted.

“After this.” His voice was just a whisper. “When she come later.”

‘The girl is coming?’ Hyoyeon was shocked. She looked around. From afar, she noticed a girl was walking. She looked like she was coming into their direction. She recognized immediately that it was Yoona, her classmate. She remembered her saying something about being his friend since elementary the other day. She was pretty, it would be no wonder if she was the one that Lay liked.

The thought of Lay confessing to Yoona, the image of Lay disappearing and the fact that she would be apart from Lay again overwhelmed Hyoyeon. The panic fluttered in her lungs, trying to get out. Then, no longer stayed hiding, she revealed herself towards them.

“NO! Please don’t!” she squealed in shaky voice, trying to suppress her tears.

“Hyoyeon!” Lay stood still.

“I love you! Because I love you! So much that I think I might burst!” She screamed unthinkingly.

She could see the ghost in front of her smiled, but the smile was tranquil and it did not touch his eyes.

“From long ago, I’ve always admired you. You remembered my painting. I’m really happy.” She realized her tears were dropping and she did nothing to stop it. “I’m really glad that I could talk with you. I’m really happy!”

She could see his mouth was opened and Lay was trying to say something, but she wasn’t finished with her confession yet. “That’s why, please just fall in love with me!”

She knew, she was not the one that Lay loved. And, she knew, it was impossible for Lay to love her.

“I love you too…”

‘See? He did not love me. It was expected…'

But, Hyoyeon’s eyes bewildered. She was prepared to hear the words ‘Sorry, I don’t love you.’ Instead, she just heard something that really blew her mind.

‘There. He said it! He said he loves me!’ Hyoyeon was overcome with joy when what happened next shocked her.

He took a step away from her. Slowly, his body was fading away. “Now, I won’t feel lonely anymore.” He muttered just as his body started to drift away and away from the ground.

Her face was blank with disbelief. “Wait!” She choked out the word, reaching for him, willing her deadened legs to carry her forward.

She thought he was reaching for her too. But, his transparent figure became unrestrained. “Goodbye, Hyoyeon,” he said in the same

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter