The Smile, the Lens and Him

A Transparent World
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The Art Department was a chaos today as well. Some were still talking about Lay’s death while some were busy preparing for the Art Exhibition. Amidst the commotion, Hyoyeon found herself walking through the alley to the river again after her class. As expected, Lay was sitting there, waiting perhaps. She could not see Luhan anywhere so she assumed that he was still in his class.

“The Art Exhibition must be fun this year as well!” That was the first comment he said when told about the exhibition. “I wish I could join it again and spend my youth time with the others.” Lay heaved a long, low sigh.

From the corner of her eyes, Hyoyeon could see him trying to kick a stone to no avail as it only passed through him. She could hear him muttering ‘Death is ’ over and over again.

She lowered her head. “Then, it would be better if we can change place.” She mumbled, almost whispered. The pain in her voice was very faint; she could only hope Lay had not noticed it.

It failed, of course. Lay diverted his attention to her.

“Don’t you like event like this?” He asked, curiosity clouded his voice.

At that precise moment, his eyes flashed over to meet hers. She dropped her head, letting her hair fall to conceal her face. “It’s not that I don’t like it. It just that I can’t talk comfortably with others. I also don’t have friends.” She confided.

“Your body…” Lay lifted up her face, making her eyes met his stare. His face darkened, he looked scary suddenly, “… Maybe I should possess it! Heheheee…” He said in a hoarse voice, a voice that would surely scare kids away.

Hyoyeon shrieked at the sudden change. She pulled back and almost fell over. Lay laughed teasingly, his expression was back to normal. “I’m just kidding.” There were still traces of laughter, “But, to tell you the truth, your words just now makes my heart ache.” His laugh was darker now.

He turned away from Hyoyeon. But she could sense frustration just from watching his back. She then realized, she just hurt his feeling unintentionally.

“I’m sorry.” She apologized, hoping Lay could grasp the transparent honesty in her voice.

“If you are really sorry,” Lay turned to face Hyoyeon again, his lips crooked a sly smile, “Make 100 friends in my place!”

“What!?” Hyoyeon was shocked. “No… Impossible! I can’t!” Her stomach did frightened little flips at the mere thoughts of making 100 friends.

“Why?” He pressed.

“Be… because I’m like this.” She blurted out, hastily.

“Like what?” He was demanding for more answers.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter