New-Du

You Are Not Alone

The previously slacking nurse was sat down at her cubicle, again. An assortment of family photos, hung on the walls. A small paper file and desk lamp, sat between an archaic dell laptop, on the desk bellow. Opening a new file, she began to type out Nia's medical report.

"Alrighty."

Name: _

"Name. What was her name? It was on her uniform. Lee...Lee Nae~...Lee Na..Ne..", she mumbled to herself.

"Lee Ni-Ah"

"Lee."  Type. Type. Type. "Ni." Type. Type. "Ah."

 

Name: Lee Ni-Ah

Injury/Injuries: _

 

"I know that one."

Her confidence boosted the speed of her typing.  Arriving on the next line, her fingers sat still and clueless as she did, once again.

 

Name: Lee Ni-Ah

Injury/Injuries: Cut on Left Knee. Bump on Head (Right Side/Near Ear)

Incident/Cause of Injury: _

 

"What happened again?"

"Slip and Fall."

"Slip." Type. Type. Type. Type. "And." Type. Type. Type. "Fall"

"You said there was a busted pipe in the bathroom, correct?"

"Yes."

She began to type away, while speaking.

"Which bathroom?"

"Choose."

"Cho-" Typ-

Her pinky rested on the O button. She let out a soft puffy sigh, that muffled in her mask. Stretching her finger over to the upper corner, she hit the backspace button with several firm taps.

TAP. TAP. TAP.

She swivled around in her computer chair, facing Mr. Z. His sleeves sat above his elbows, rolled revealing his soft, toned forearms and his slim-fit watch. He was mopping away the chlorine-scented water, that was tracked in. He didn't acknowledge her pause of action or her eye contact. He picked up the drench mop. Walking past her, he went over to its companion: the bucket.

"Mr. Z?"

He placed it into the ringer. 

"Yes."

"What happened?"

Kneeling down onto his right knee, he grabbed onto the handle.

"Something happened."

"Lying on a report does not protect her."

He slowly began to rotate it. Grunting through the effort as he pushes it forward, he continued on.

"I know you've already heard through the grape vine. She's already had enough on her plate. And that was only the appetizer."

After completing several cycles, he lifted himself up off the ground. In slight exhaustion, he panted quietly as he wiped away any dust off his knee. He straighten back up and finally giving her his full attention. Holding eye contact, he said:

"So, choose."

A thin layer of silence simmered over the office, as she squinted at him. After several seconds of dead noise, she swirled back around, typing once again.

"I'll make it less dramatic and say it was a puddle in the bathroom."

"Thank you." 

"You know you can go?"

"I think I'll stick around until she's settled."

"Don't you have a class to be preparing for?"

"It's friday."

"Oh, right."

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

A blood-curdling scream escaped from the bathroom.

The nurse shot up from her chair and quickly made her way to the bathroom door. Knocking on it, worryingly, the nurse spoke against the door.

"Is everything okay in there?"

"Y-Yeah! Yes! There's just-There's just a bug in here!"

WHAAACK! WHACK! WHACK!

"I got it!"

 

[Inside the bathroom]

"Alright then."

Click. Clack. Click. Clack.

Finally away from the door, Nia hung her head low as she pryed herself up on her knees, as she held onto her damp sneaker. Her back rose and fell dramatically after her frantic performance. She pantingly began to whisper to herself, not to draw anymore attention. 

"Okay. Okay, Okay, okay....okay..."

Her hands climbed up her thighs and onto her hips, resting there. She tossed her lonely sneaker over to its mate in the corner, before pacing back in forth. A self-dialogue was ensued.

"How is this happening? What is happening? Is this really happening?"

"Relax. Start from the beginning."

"Okay. I was in the fountain."

"Right. Then you went home and went to the Ball. And..?"

"And...and I met them there. They all weren't there, but they were there."

"Go on."

"And I met that guy."

She stopped in her tracks, and slumped over like a dying flower.

"Oh my god~.... If I'm here, that means I didn't meet him. He doesn't know me. We never-- UGH~~."

She dragged herself over to the toilet seat, plopping down it.

"Hey. We don' t have time for this. Focus."

"You're right..", she poutingly mumbled as she rested her arm up on the sink. Her head fell into her palm with a pathetic thud.

"You bumped into Hyuna. She went Bibbidi-bobbidi-boo"

"And I ran off."

"They followed after you. Then?"

"Then I..Then I...I."

She sat quietly, finding herself puzzled. She closed her eyes trying to place herself back into the position.

"It was dark. Had to have been really late, because there was barely any cars out. It was cold. The pavement I walked on felt more like cobblestone, because of how cold it was. I was on the street. No, it was a sidewalk. I heard them get closer. But I ran off in the opposite direction and..."

She shook her head in doubt , as she realized the most possible conclusion.

"No. No, that can't be. She said I didn't-"

"That woman might not even be real."

She swiftly popped up from the squatter. Facing the sink's mirror, she shaked her finger at her reflection, in denial.

"Don't you say that. If she isn't real that means, that means none of what happened is real. I'm not even an EXO fan like that, to be having a manic dream about them. And it was WAY too realistic. I definitely had people to talk to these past few years. Plenty. So, I am definitely not manic.", she huffed and puffed, confidently.

"You're talking to yourself."

Her eyes closed slowly, as she gripped onto the edges of the sink. Drooping down once more, she stood, silent, as her inner voice drowned her in self-acceptance.

"You have a knot on your head. A rather large one. Keep in mind, you hit it on stone. STONE. It obviously did something to you. That woman IS NOT real. The veins are still there. You're seeing things."

Nia's head nodded away, finally giving in. She bloomed back up with an a mild grin of acceptance. She slid her gloves back on, giving her palms no mind. As she adjusted her hair and uniform, someone knocked at the door.

Knock! Knock! Knock!

Turning her head back, towards the door, she responded with a:

 "Yes~?"

"Are you done yet?" , the nurse asked.

"I was just finishing up."

"I'm going to put a bag on the door. There are a pair of slippers to put on until your shoes get done drying. Anything wet, put in the bag. Make sure to remove your nametag from your blazer. Okay?"

"Yes, ma'am."

The door handle slightly rattled, as the shuffling of plastic could be heard, on the other side. Followed by a soft plopping, the handle stopped at an angle. Wrapping her arm around the door as she stood behind it, she mindfully removed the bag, knowing her hand could be seen. She slid on the slides, before greeting her pathetically soaked uniform, hoody, and shoes, that slouched in the corner.

Exiting the bathroom, she fixed her nametag onto her pocket. She was not greeted by a nurse. Except unseen by a nurse, who was once again, on her phone. She turned back to the bathroom door, closing it. Alarming the nurse of her presence, she swiviled in her direction.

"Oops. Got Caught." 

Click. Clack. 

"Sorry if it's kind of snug. It was the last one we had in stock."

Click. Clack.

"I'm more glad to have a dry one on. Thank you."

She stopped in front of her, with a genuine grin.

"Why can't more students be more like you? I can take that off your hands."

She held her hands out. Nia gracefully slid the handle over her open palm, with both of her hands. She made off with it to to the left of her, dipping around a corner.

Nia stayed where she stood, scanning her surroundings. She found slight amusement in the seeing chart and human anatomy poster. Slowly turning the right like an electric fan, she faced a sitting Mr. Z. He sat in a chair, facing her direction. His legs were crossed. His stick sat across his lap. He was reading this week's print of The Korean Herald, which hid his face and upper torso.

"Oh, you're still here."

"Is that a problem?"

The tone of his voice, sent Nia into a worrysome panic. She frantically respondend, not wanting to make trouble with the man.

"N-No! I'm-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-"

He let out an audible smirk.

"Cool it. I was just teasing you."

She softly exhaled in relief.

He folded his reading material down into its original state. Placing it on the floor below, he looked over at her with his casually monotone look. His eyelids slowly retracted into a squint. Unawaringly she looked around, as she waited for the nurse to come back. She nervously made a double-take, after accidentally catching eye contact with him.

Folding her hands in front of her, she carefully asked:

"Uh..Y..Yes?"

Beep! Beep!

"20 minutes. Start.",  an electronic female voice said from the same direction, the nurse disapeared to.

His face wore a quized expression. He unfolded his legs and leaned forward.

"That does not look good.", he mumbled audibly. 

"What doesn't look good?"

click. Clack. Click. Clack.

The nurse returned with quickened steps, stopping next to her. Placing her hand on her shoulder, she brought her face into Nia's line of sight. Her eyes shifted from Nia's to the now throwbingly, red bulge, on the side of her head. Carefully, she pulled Nia's hair back behing her ear. Immediately, her face scrunched up, as though she was the one in pain. 

She asked in an amazed, whisper, "Are you in any pain?"

Nia started to shake her head

"Don't shake!"

Nia stopped mid-way.

"Mr. Z, can you walk her over to the bed, while I get some ice?"

"Of course." 

She walked away, still in awe, over to the kitchenette. Nia stood still in confusion as a uneased , yet blank-faced Mr. Z, walked over to the side of her. Placing his hand on her upper back and gently holding up on her wrist, he guided her over to the bed. Pulling back the white curtain, he cautiously sat her down onto the bed. Standing back up, he stood there glaring at it.

"How bad is it?", she asked anxiously, still unaware of its state.

"It will go down."

Nia found very little reassurance in that statement, responding with an apprehensive smile. The nurse made her way back over to Nia, with a cold pack wrapped in a towel. On her way over, she dragged her office chair along.

"Ahem."

Mr. Z slid aside, letting the nurse take the reigns. He returned to his seat, still observing from a far. She lowered down the seat, coming down to Nia's level. Careful not to put too much pressure onto it, she slowly rolled the pack onto it. Nia's eyes slowly shot wide open, as she felt the pack arch around her golf ball-sized bruise. 

"Oh my god."

The nurse stopped checking her face for reassurance. "Did I hurt you?"

"No, no. I just realized how big it is.", she responded, astonished.

The nurse finished placing it. 

"Hold it."

She did as instructed. Scooting over, she centered herself in front of her.

"Alright. We're gonna run a simple test.", she said as she pulled a slim, black pen out of her coat pocket.

Click! 

A light beamed from the tip. 

"I'm going to shine some light into your eyes. It'll be quick."

She reached in her pocket once more, pulling out a tongue depressor, raising it above her head.

"I want you to follow the tip of this stick. Only move your eyes. Understood?"

"Yes." 

She raised the pen towards her eyes, shining white into her eyes. The nurse slowly dragged the stick to the right. Nia's pupils shakingly, shifted in it's direction.

"Good. Good. Keep going." 

She brought it back around, past her head, to the other side.

Click!

She slid the two items back into her chest pocket. She starred at her, obviously trying to construct a diagnosis.

"How are you feeling? Tired? Dizzy?"

"I do feel weird."

"In what way?"

"Confused?", she answered confusingly.

The nurse let out a confirming sigh. She reached down, holding down on a button, alongside the bed.

ZZZzzzzzzzzz.

"Lay back."

Nia followed suit. With one swift kick off the floor, the nurse launched herself backwards. Spinning around, she arrived at her desk.

Type! Type! Type! Type!

Nia looked over to Mr. Z, who was just as clueless. She shifted her gaze over to the nurse.

"Is everything okay?", she asked in a forcingly gleeful tone, trying not to freak out.

Type! Type! Type!

"Well, it seems to me, my dear

Type! Type! Type!

that you have a concussion."

She loudly pressed down on the ENTER button, sending it to the next line.

 

Name: Lee Ni-Ah

Injury/Injuries: Cut on Left Knee. Bump on Head (Right Side/Near Ear)

Incident/Cause of Injury: Slip and Fall (Caused by spill)

Symptom(s): Concussion (Shakey pupils, confusion)

Note(s): _

 

She spun around to face her obviously distraught patient.

"A concussion?!"

She nodded. 

"A concussion."

Defeated by the news, she rolled off of her side and onto her back, starring at the ceiling.

"Who am I calling to come pick you up? Mom? Dad? Granny? Neighbor?"

Letting out a somber sigh, she closed her eyes.

"No one. There's no one to call." 

The room fell silent after her response, making her feel even more awkward. 

"Okay.", nodded the Nurse.

Nia looked at her from the corner of her eye. She was somewhat surprised by her response; Not having to clarify it, any further.

She boosted back over to her bed side.

"Well, you've got two options."

She held her hand up and stuck her pinky up.

"One. I can have Mr. Z, you back home."

Her ring finger flicked out.

"Two. You can stay here, in the office, and rest, until I see some improvements."

"I've already missed most of my classes."

Verified by her response, she spun around to him

"Mr. Z-

"So, I'll stay."

She quickly reversed.

"Are you sure?"

She responded tiredly.

"yes."

"Alrighty then. I still have someone I need to contact: your teacher. Who do you have right now?"

"I think it's Mr. Hong."

"Cooking?"

"Mhm."

"Alright. Hang tight for me."

"Are positive about your decision?", he flattly asked.

The nurse picked the phone up, off the holder.

"It's selfish to go home."

The round buttons of the telephone loudly beeped as she pressed away on them.

Beep! Beep!..Beep! Beep!...Beep!

"How so?"

She pulled her mask down and rested the phone against her ear.

riiiiinng~ riiiiinng~ riiiiinng~

"I barely made it through one class. And, I don't deserve to go home. Not yet."

riiiiinng~ riiiiinng~

"But you're injured."

riiiiin- 

"There is a quote from Confucian."

"Hello? Is this Mr. Hong?"

He sat up inquisitedly. 

"How does it go?"

"Hi. I'm sorry to interrupt your class."

"Well, in mandarin it goes: "Our greatest glory is not in ever falling, but in rising every time we fall."

He nodded, with a slight grin.

"This is Nurse Yoo, calling from the Infirmary."

"I prefer: "A great man is hard on himself. A small man is hard on others." 

Shocked by his response in Mandarin, she twisted her head towards his direction, trying not to roll onto her bruise. She engaged him in conversation in the language.

"You speak mandarin?!", she asked in a shock whisper.

"I have a Lee Ni-Ah, who is claiming to be your student."

"When have you heard of a Korean surname, that starts with Z?"

"I just thought you were trying to be cool.", she mumbled.

"Well, there was a minor incident."

He laughingly, scoffed at her innocence.

"Where are you from?", she asked curiously. 

"Well, she appears to have suffered a concussion."

"A what?!"

She quickly yanked the phone away from her face. The loud yell from the phone, brought their conversation to an unexpected halt. She cautiously brought the phone back to her ear. She nervously chuckled, brushing hair behind her ear.

"It's okay. It's okay. I said a concussion."

"Wuhan.", he continued.

"Ah~.", Nia responded as she rolled onto her back, once again.

"You have an accent."

"I was born in Hong Kong."

"She's currently resting at the moment."

"How'd you end up in Korea?"

"My dad is Korean."

"Mom?"

"American."

"Hmm. Interesting."

"They are unavailable."

He reached down for his paper. Unfurling it, he continued to digest the columns.

"Mr. Z?"

"Hmm."

"You seem familiar."

"She's decided to remain here until further notice."

"I get that a lot."

"Not in that sense. Like.."

"Yes. We informed her that she could be dissmissed."

She sat silently, as she tried to figure out what she was thinking. He peaked over the edge of the paper, staring at her. She laid with a troubleshot look, trying to compute.

"Like?", he asked with a raised brow.

"Mhm."

"Like, I know you. Like, we've met before."

His face was re-submerged, behind the paper.

"Recently?", he asked.

"Mhm."

"No, not recently."

"Well, when you figure it out,

"Alright. Thank you."

He dragged his thumb across the tip off his tongue, before flipping over to the next page.

let me know."

She placed the phone down on the hook and rotated a full 180, clasping her hands together.

Clap!

"Someone is on there way with your things!"