Where is she?

You Are Not Alone

(Several Hours Ago) 

Squeak! Squeak! Squeak! SLAM! Squeak! Squeak! Squeak!

Nia shot down the hallway, running in search of a place to sit and rid of her emotions and tears, that left an oil-leak-like trail behind her. The bathroom closest to her was occupied by a janitor, whose trash can sit at the entrance. She continued onward, coming to a screeching halt in front of the overly extravagant water fountain in the lobby. She knelt down, next to her fresh scuff marks on the marble floor. Cupping water into her hands, she brought it to her face. Washing away the reminance of black on her face, she held onto the fountain, catching her breath.

Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale.

On the verge of being completely calm, a foot pressed against her back, shoving her in.

SPLASH!

A choir of spoiled laughter erupted as she slowly sat up in the water fountain. Three girls dressed in gym uniforms stood over her with baskets full of towels. They each took a turn, hurling insults at her.

"Omo! Yah! Why are you so damn clumsy?"

"This isn't a birdbath. Have you never seen a water fountain before?"

"She needed a soak, anyways. Don't forget to scrub some of that dirt off, okay? " 

The girl proceeded to pelt her with dirty cotton rags from her basket. The other two quickly joined in. She sat still as she let the towels hit het body. The building slowly began to tremble, followed by the lights flickering heavily. 

The girls looked up at the chandeliers.

"This better not be an earthquake! I didn't even get to see Dong-sun yet~!", one of the girls whined loudly

Nia held onto the lower the of the fountain, as the building began to shake. 

Crack. 

A crack appeared under her hand, as she gripped tightly on the stone. The chandelier that hung above the grand piano came shattering down onto it.

"Run!"

"What about her?!"

"Screw her!"

They darted off to the nearest exit. The crack began to deepen. The rumbling of the building came to a halt, as the stone broke off into her hand; it plummeted with her hand weakly to the bottom of the fountain

"I give up.", she whispered.

She slowly got up  and out the fountain, dragging her body sluggishly towards the stairs. The stampede of students and the loudly blaring announcement did not change her pace. It was as if she was in her own world. The students spilled out onto the fields, taking refuge in them. She continued onward, towards the front gate.

"Yah! Where are you going?!" one of the students yelled at her from afar.

"Home.", she responded in a volume, she herself could hear.

Off campus, and onto the streets, the sirens of zooming cop cars, ambulances, and firetrucks blarred, as they went past her. She continued to walk home unbothered by the wondering eyes of now concerned people. After a 30 minute long depressing trek, she had made it back to the hotel.

The doorman grabbed the door, opening it for her, upon hearing her steps creeping closer.

"Welcome to the-" The doorman stopped in his tracks.

She starred for a while in silence and walked in.

The calm, elegant classical music was accompanied by the adlibbing of squishing soaked shoes. The staff and lobby occupiers starred on in a confused manner, chattering through palmed mouths. She made her way up the stairs to the grand elevator. She gently pressed on the up button.

Ding! 

She patiently watched as the arrow of the floor indicator, slowly moved from the right to the left.

A well dressed, yet urgent man with an earpiece on walked over to the front desk. 

"Where is she?", he asked the receptionists. One of them nervously pointed. He quickly made his way over to her.

Click. Clack. Click. Clack. Click. Clack. 

"Miss. I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to ask you to leave. I believe you're in the wrong place."

She sat quietly, still watching the arrow. It met its half way point.

"Miss. Miss, are yo-"

"It's Lee Ni-ah. Lee. Ni. Ah.", she responded soft and monotone.

His eye shot wide open, alarmed at the name alone. "E-E-Eh?"

She shifted her body slightly and tapped on her name tag, her eyes still glued to the wall.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

He quickly stepped back. Pressing his arms firmly against his body, he deeply bowed.

"Forgive me for my ignorance!", he yelped in a worried, yet loud tone.

DING!

The elevator doors slid open. She stepped in, not addressing the man. She pressed a series of buttons.

Going UP.

As the doors began to close, Nia felt as though she was being watched. She looked up through the crack of the door, to see the figure of a woman in the distance. As she tried to step a bit closer to see, the doors shut.