Chapter 6: Attachment (Day 5)

Summer Playground

Tao's POV

"I told you there is no need for such grand scale of things!" I insisted my cousin to make things simpler. 

"Tao, this is dad's 47th birthday!" She replied. "I want to make things really pretty and resemble China. It has been a while since he has gone to our hometown. Besides how many times do you get a 47th birthday?" 

"That doesn't even made any sense." I sighed. "Didn't uncle said to keep it simple. Simple is not this nuna."

"Please don't make it sound like I am artsy fartsy." She kid. 

I looked at her and nodded, "You are an artsy fartsy." 

She punched me by my shoulders. She crossed everything she has written on her paper from party plans to designs 

"So what are you plans, mister simple?" She mocked.

I shrugged. "Karaoke." It was the first thing that came into my mind.

Jae popped her head out of the kitchen window and said it was a good idea. 

I gave my cousin a mocking look and she said I looked like an idiot. 

"You always say that when you lose." I told her. 

"Only because it is always true." She giggled.

We prepared the backyard as the venue of the celebration. Karaoke and grill have always been a good tandem and we thought of having that as the main theme of the party. Nuna didn't totally drop her ideas of making the backyard resemble China, but at least to some extent it gotten simpler.

We made all necessary preparation for the food to grill and pre-ordered the alcohols for latter's event. Jae came to the kitchen at one point and said, "We have an urgent problem."

Nuna and I exchanged glances. "What do you mean?" I asked.

"We haven't invited grandma!"

Nuna and I exchanged glances once again, "You answer that." I whispered.

She pinched my sides, "Come on Tao, answer this one for me."

I bit my lips then let out my tongue. "Burden of having a sibling."

She sighed, "Jae, grandma can't come, she's in China." 

She got a little disappointed. I can sense her spirit level went down literally.  "So who can we invite that is not in China and not in the neighborhood?" She asked. 

"I do know someone." My cousin said coyly."I bet we can try inviting him in a while."

"Unnie... you meant?" Jae's spirit leveled up once again. She was now bouncing up and down. "You're the best unnie!"

Wait, wait. I don't understand. "Who are you talking about?"

Jae and nuna exchanged looks, "Just someone we know." 

"Don't tell me, it is Suho?" I challenged more than asked.

Jae giggled and repeated the name, "Suho oppa is coming. Suho oppa is coming."

"But..." I quickly said. "We don't have his contact details, even if we wanted to, we can't. Oh what I shame." I slapped my own hand and pretended to be disappointed.

"Don't worry," Jae said. "I have oppa's number!"

"Why do you have his number?" I asked, shocked.  "Jae are you a stalker?" 

"Oppa gave me his number the last time he was here. Mom wanted him to be invited next time remember?"

"Jae..."

"I'll call him okay? Handle your oppa for a while Jae." Nuna evacuated the scene and dialed Suho's number. 

"Oppa." She called me the way my mother would whenever she  preaches something. "You always tell the truth and be frank to others. You are honest to everyone except yourself." She snickered and followed her sister.

Wha-what was that... Jae...

Suho's POV 

"I don't get the difference between hao de and hao ba." I said to my translator late 2PM. 

"I think you should focus on learning the phonetics first before learning words sir." He replied. 

But I don't plan on saying a lot of Chinese words but the basic. 

"One minute." My phone was vibrating, it was an unknown number. "Hello? Who is this?"

"Hello is this Suho, this is Tao's cousin." 

Jae's sister? "Oh hello, how have you been?" 

"I'm fine. Anyway, today is father's birthday, Tao wanted to invite you." 

"Tao did?" I asked on reflex. 

She laughed. "Was it odd?"

"Very. Anyway, sure I'll be there!"

"Great! 6:30PM! See you!"

"See you."

She hang up. 

"Last for today, how do you say Happy Birthday in Mandarin?"


I drove from my house at about 6:10. Tao lived nearby and I doubt the party would start on time. His house was bright from the outside and was overwhelmingly red. As much as this would sound racist, they were no doubt Chinese.

I rang the doorbell twice.

Tao opened the door and greeted, "Glad to see you alive."

"I'll take that as a compliment." 

We walked silently, not even a glance from Tao, I received. I occasionally look at him and find myself disappointed for some reasons that he seemed to be as cold as he was at that playground. Maybe I should try making a conversation. Maybe not.

"Who was the friend with you two days ago?" He asked. 

I gave it a thought and replied, "Ohh, that's Chanyeol." 

"Chanyeol." He repeated. "He looks like a very nice guy."

I nodded. "But doesn't know personal space." 

Tao didn't reply. 

"Do you like Jae's sister?" He asked. 

"I like her as a person, not as a woman."

"As a woman." He repeated. His face was amused. "Interesting choice of words." 

I was surprised he smiled. It was his only feature that seem to be warm. 

"You made it!" Jae greeted us from the backyard. "Let's eat oppa." 

She grabbed my hand and dragged to the grill. I glanced back to Tao to see his expression, he was still smiling. I'm... glad. 

TAO's POV 

At seven o'clock we started singing happy birthday to uncle. He has always been shy about being greeted and blushed yet again to the neighborhood that went to celebrate with him. The drinks came by after a few minutes and everyone went on to different groups and drink together talking about business, gossip or just plain crap with others. 

I found Suho holding a bottle of Soju watching everyone. His face was amused. Occasionally he would raise his soju bottle or greet an incoming visitor. 

"You should enjoy yourself in the party." I whispered from behind. 

He was surprised a bit and said, "I need some time to recharge my batteries." 

"Go sit, I'll greet the guests."

"I don't mind." He smiled. 

He sip some soju and complimented the setting. "This is a very fun celebration, you do this every year?" 

I shook my head. "Last year we went to China." 

He sip some more soju and emptied his bottle. "I'll get another one. Do you want one also?" 

I nodded. He said he'll be back and walked to the fridge. 

A few more guest came by, I don't know the names, I never been good with names but I recognized me. I just called them aunt or uncle if ever it was necessary. I addressed them to uncle and Jae was the one who brightened up their mood. 

Suho called me and showed me 3 bottles of Soju. 

"I said only one." 

"Oh these two are for me." He smiled. "Don't tell me you are a lightweight."

I stared at him and motioned to my mouth 'stupid'. 

A few neighbor recognized Suho and interviewed him about his brother's decision in their family business. Suho has been strictly professional for that moment and was a totally different person. He sounded smart and avoided anything that could be a cause of misinterpretation. Often he would avoid any question by laughing and saying, "Please this party is not about me." He would point to uncle and continue, "He is the main star."

The guests would leave his presence then, some left red out of embarrassment and others amused about his choice of words.

"It sounds like you have a huge number of fans today."

"Please." He wiped his mouth from the alcohol residue. "I have a huge number of fans any day."

I snickered. "Arrogant."

He laughed and said I was unfair. 

By the time the party ended, I consumed two bottles and Suho drank seven. Everyone who was left was helping to clean the backyard. Jae stocked the chairs, some neighbors threw out the garbage on their way. I found Suho lying by the bush behind the house, away from the sight of people. I shook his body but he only snickered. I carried him up and lifted him to my back. 

You will pay for this. 

"What happened?" My cousin asked. 

"Dead." 

"Go inside and let him sleep in the guest bedroom, we will clean up the rest." She smiled. 

The guest bedroom was on the first level thankfully. I didn't need to take the stairs and fear that I might fall down. I latched off his arms and let him fall to the bed. He was partially awoken by the impact. He readily lie down the bed. I sat beside him to rest before coming out to help some more. 

He is starting to feel warm. When I first met him, he was still a bit cold. He really is different from him. 

"Ji Hye..." He said.

Maybe that is her girlfriend. 

"You will come back right?"

I might hear some things I don't need to know I better go. I stood up but Suho suddenly grabbed my wrist. 

"Stay with me."

 I tried to removed my grasp but he grabs it back every time. "Please, stay." He began to cry.  

"What have I done? Answer me damn it!"  Tears kept falling down him eyes. "Why do you have to say you love me then leave me right afterwards? Ji Hye... couldn't you at least give me one... last... kiss?"  He finally snoozed off from the last three words.

I removed my shoes and sat completely on the master bed. I began tapping hand which was laid on his chest to comfort him. He fell asleep fast. "Don't worry, I will stay with you."

Suho's face began to relax. He put more stress holding to my hand then finally snored.

 I heard these words before. I knew these words too well that it sounds so ironic. I said this before. "Look at the bright side, you had it a little better. She said goodbye. He didn't even bothered to say anything...