Chapter 15: Puzzle Pieces (Day 12)

Summer Playground

I woke up late in the morning and ate the breakfast the owner prepared for me. When we were done eating, he set the car and we set off back to the airport. On the way there, he didn't told any family stories or how China was back in his days or anything related to it. He randomly asked one question.

"Do you believe in fate?"

I shook my head.

"I see." He fell into silence. "Mind if I tell a story?"

I didn't reply.

He laughed. "Please bear with this old man."

I smiled.

"They say there was once a pregnant woman who was lost in a forest. In that forest was a big tree found elevated about the other tress. The woman was running out of time. She was already on the verge of giving birth. So what she did was she went to the elevated ground and lay on that big tree. Her labor was painful. There no one to else to her. They say her screams could be heard even from a distance! Finally, she gave birth to a baby girl. But unfortunately, she was too weak. She feared the baby would die alongside her. So, she spoke in vain, 'I would do anything just for my baby to live.'  It was her final words."

"Is this some Chinese legend?" I asked. It was the first time I heard of it.

He shook his head. "I believe it was true. The lady was said to be a lucky girl. She was bright and cheeky. People called her a protégé. But at some point, her luck runs out. Her family was slaughtered, one by one. In order to escape death, she run away deep into a forest. You know the rest."

I was silent. "Don't take it seriously, I know you were bored with my childhood memories so I thought I tell you something else." He laughed.

When we finally arrived at the airport. I thanked him for the ride. "I enjoyed your stories." I partially lied.

He laughed again. "Good to know!"

I dropped off the car. "I just have one question."

"Yes?"

"What was the name of the pregnant woman?"

"Hmmm" He played with his short beard. "I think it was Elune."

"Ohh okay."

"See you then!" He bid goodbye before vanishing for the road.

I waited until my flight was called. It was weird. I heard that name before... "Elune... Elune..."

Chanyeol's POV

Still no contact from Tao... where could he have gone?

"Hi Chanyeol, any leads?" Tao's cousin asked.

I shook my head.

She sighed in disappointment and said,  "I wondered how will he take this."

Nuna entered the room again. I sat at the bench outside Jae's room and waited for a call.

After 40 minutes, the airline agency called. "Do you got him?" I asked.

"Yes sir, do you want him on the line?"

"Yes please."

"What the heck is this?" I heard from the background. "Who?" He grabbed the phone, "Who is this?"

"Yah Tao!"

"Chanyeol?"

"WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN!"

"Why? Did something happened?"

"Are you still at the airport?"

"Yea."

"Wait for me, I'll fetch you." I hang up.

Kris came out of the room. "He is here?"

I shook my head. "Soon."

I dashed outside the hospital and told my driver to go to the airport. Tao was waiting for me outside. I slid the door open and he entered asking, "What happened."

"First of all stay calm."

"What happened?"

"It's Jae."

Tao's eyes widened. "What about Jae? What happened!"

"Aish I told you to calm down!" I shouted.

Tao clenched his fists. "He got into an accident. She wanted to go the playground. She insisted there was something she has to do. But her mother didn't allowed her. Kris and Suho was just leaving your house when Jae barge in again. They said she was searching for you. When she learned you were gone, she asked Suho hyung to accompany her to the playground. Suho did."

"Can you cut to the part to what happened?" He sort of shouted at the same time pleaded.

"Jae got into an accident. Kris and Suho hyung didn't knew what happened. She was just by the top of the hill on the swing set when they found her bleeding. She was unconscious when they found her. She hasn't woken up since then."

Tao was silent for the rest of the time. His fists were still clenching. He kept mouthing, "Is this my fault?"

We rushed through Jae's room. Nuna and Kris both got up and were surprised to see him.

"Tao!" Both of them remarked.

Tao's eyes stared to Jae's body. "Jae..."

Tao began to be teary-eyed. "Is this my fault Jae?" He got down to his knees. "If I haven't left, this wouldn't happen. This is all on me." He pounded on the floor "Why?! Why?! WHY?! Damn it!"

Kris tried to comfort him. When he touched him Tao jerked. "Don't touch me. Please leave me alone."

Nuna grab Kris and they left the room together.

Tao continued to sob in front of Jae's bed. He kept blaming himself. I was getting worried about his mental state. Can he handle all this pressure?

He wipe some of his tears. "Didn't you hear me? I wanted to be alone."

"I can't leave you alone."

"Please Chanyeol... I want to be alone with Jae."

"Nope."

"PARK CHANYEOL ARE YOU STUPID DAMN IT?!" He shouted, tears continue to fell.

"Let us assume for the moment I am. Then I can stay right? Just think I am not here."

After a while, he seemed to calm down. He sat beside me, his fists were still red from pounding on the floor. I was surprised no nurse came and said to keep it down.

"Where is Suho?" He asked.

"He went back to his house, he said he need to get some book."

"Some book?" Tao asked, he looked at me for the first time. His eyes were still also red. "What's so important about that damn book?!"

"Hyung... seemed to be the one who got affected the most." I informed him. Tao was confused at what I said and asked me to elaborate. "When they found Jae's body on the swing set, she was actually swinging. I mean the swing that she was in was swinging. But she was already unconscious and bleeding. Next to her was a small box, laced in silver clothing."

Tao's eyes widened again. "The one from Suho's girlfriend?"

"Exactly! It was already opened when they arrived."

"But how did Jae got it?" He asked.

"Suho thinks he got it from your room."

"What was inside?" He said, his eyes were twitching and eyebrows bent inside.

"Suho got them, he said he will come back tomorrow."