Chapter 16: Season's End (Day 13)

Summer Playground

Tao's POV

I woke up beside Chanyeol. It seemed I slept on his shoulder. His body was slanted and his head was sticking on the wall. My phone was ringing from the table. I sheepishly got up, irritated.

My body became alive when I saw who was calling: Suho.

"Where are you?" I asked.

"Going there. Get Kris and Chanyeol, this might be big." He hang up. This was the second time that I heard him so serious. I shook Chanyeol's body to wake him up.

He jumped from surprised and apologized afterwards. I asked him to call Kris for me. He stared at me blankly for what seems like 5 seconds before he realized I actually said something.

He handed the phone to me while he yawned. I waited for Kris to pick it up.

"Where are you?" I asked.

"Tao?" He asked. "I'm at your house, your mother said she couldn't sleep alone."

Mother... I...

"Why what's wrong? Is Chanyeol still with you? Has Jae woken up?"

"Who is that? Is that Tao?" I heard my mother's voice.

"You ungrateful son!" She shouted. "Did you know how worried I am when your cousin just informed me you went to China!"

"I miss you too." I replied. "Look, Ma, I'm sorry but can you give it back to Kris. I promise I would receive the punishment you would want."

"You better get ready then! Hmph!" She seemed to pitched at the end. She might started crying.

"It's me again." Kris said.

"Suho is coming, can you rush to the Hospital?"

"Sure, I'll just go fetch nuna."

"Wait." I stopped him. "She needs to rest, she must have been worried sick about her sister and haven't slept."

Kris said he understood and drop the call.

Chanyeol walked back and forth while waiting for Suho.

I watched over Jae and waited for any signs of waking up. It was only now that she looked early angelic. Without her very loud mouth, she looked like the angel's incarnate. I grabbed her hand and brushed it off lightly.

Kris came first. He asked if Suho arrived yet. Chanyeol did all the answering. I spend most of the time waiting for Jae. "Please wake up Jae.  Please Please."  The irony of my dream seemed to hit me today.

Finally, Suho arrived, he held a book, slightly worn. "Let's start."

Suho's POV

Everyone was there already when I came in. I was breathing hard. I ran and took the stairs.

"What is this all about?" Kris asked.

"I know this may sound crazy but please listen well."

We got into a circle and sat around the table. I placed the book in the middle and started, "A few days ago, I found this in my room, it's a book named Season's Drift. At first I thought it was merely an interesting book, it says that before the seasons were actually human beings. Each were 'chosen' for the benefit of mankind. It tells until the background of each 'human' season but the rest of the pages were blank."

"Blank?" Chanyeol asked? "How can a book be published blank?"

"That's what I thought too, although I didn't delve into it deeper for that day."

"The last page has an entry though, ' In the end, those who lived as a renewed persona has to return to their duties, because that is their fate: "

"to be drifted in eternity." Tao finished.

"You know this book?" Kris asked.

I shook my head. "No. I read this when I was in China, I found it resting on the window that I stayed in. It was also the last entry, but the  start was different. It was about a woman who wished her daugther to live. Her name was Elune."

"Elune?" Suho was surprised. "That is the author of this book."

"This doesn't make any sense." Chanyeol said.

"I think I know where we need to go." Kris interjected.

"Me too." I added.

Tao nodded.

Chanyeol said, "I'm not sure but does it involve the playground?"

All of us exchanged looks. The swing set.

Tao's POV

Surprisingly there was no one playing in the playground. There were no children screaming, no adults waiting on the foot of the playground, no anything. Just the wind blowing.

"It seems we arrive at the correct place." I said.

"This is really creepy though." Chanyeol commented.

"I can feel it calling me." I continued.

"Calling you?" Kris asked.

"Ring ring" Chanyeol kid.

"I can't explain."

We entered the playground with caution. Suddenly I don't know what to believe in. This might be a very long dream. The thought comforted me. At least when I wake up, I will not remember all of these.  

"Anyone here?"  Chanyeol screamed.

"SHHH!" Kris and Suho silenced him.

"Quiet, someone might here you." Kris said.

"That's the plan" Chanyeol said.

"You are early." A voice came from behind. We twisted our bodies to 180 degrees and saw the lady.

"Rina?" I asked.

She giggled. "You still call me by that name?"

"Oh nuna!" Chanyeol called. "I thought your name was Elune!"

"What are you talking about?" Suho asked.

All of us shifted our attention to Chanyeol.

"Remember the time I told you I was already at the park and I was talking to a nuna? She is that nuna!" He yelled.

"That doesn't make sense" I said. "Rina... who are you?"

She giggled once again. "Here I thought you have all the pieces glued together."

"If you are Elune, then you wrote this book... err ... journal?" Suho showed her the book.

Rina walked east and west, "Yes or no."

"Don't play riddles with us, we are four, you are only one." Kris threatened. There was tension in his voice. Rina noticed it and laughed this time.

"Not quite true." Another voice said from behind. We shifted again our bodies to see the person behind the voice.

"Nuna?" I was surprised to see. Jae's sister here. I didn't understand anything that was happening. I looked to Suho, Kris and Chanyeol's faces; all of them were as confused as I was. Rina circled outside us and stayed beside nuna.

"I don't understand." I said.

"Didn't you ever wonder why you never mentioned my name?" She asked.

Now that I think of it. I never did mentioned her name even once. I only refer to her as nuna or Jae's sister or cousin.

"Let them guess!" Rina suggested.

"Let's just tell them, it might be tomorrow before they can answer it." Nuna replied.

"You're no fun." She commented.

"You're all fun." She answered back.

"So who are you?" Kris asked, irritated. "Who the freaking hell are you two?"

"We are Elune." Both them answered.

"Both of us are personas of Elune." Nuna added.

"I don't understand." I said.

Chanyeol said the same thing.

"You don't need to understand who we are." Rina said in glee. "What is important is for you to find out why you are here! Follow us."

"Why would we do that?" Suho challenged.

Rina twisted her head and smiled creepily, "Because we don't want anything to happen to you giddy friend."

Chanyeol gulped.

We had no choice but to follow them. Nuna was walking silently, Rina was making noises and stamping while climbing up.

How come I didn't saw this coming? Could this mean...

"I just realized, it is the last day of Summer." Chanyeol said while walking.

I suddenly paused. Has it come to an end so quickly? "You're right, Kris would go back to China maybe, Suho would return to College, you too Chanyeol of course. I wondered if this could happen ever again."

"It won't." Rina commented. She laughed, "Just being honest. Hurry!"

We found ourselves at the top of the hill, in between the oak tree and the swing set.

"I have a question." Chanyeol said, "What do you mean something bad would happen to me?"

"You are the cutest forever!" Rina giggled. "You could blame Tao for that."

"Why?" Chanyeol asked further.

"I think you should answer that, Tao." Nuna replied. "Right Rina?" She gave her a stare.

"Yes yes!"

"I don't know."

"Think harder." Nuna said.

"I really don't know!"

"Think you dimwit!" Rina screamed, the wind also blew hard with her.

The wind. South. "He fell". "That doesn't count you fell." It was winter. "It's gonna be alright, we will try everything" I remember now! It wasn't a dream. It was a flashback.

"I died."

"What?" Kris , Suho and Chanyeol reacted at the same time.

"Kris, that day I died." I remember now... "You said I fell of the oak tree. The wind coming from the south. It was because I falling. I thought I would be safe because it was snowing."

"That doesn't make sense!" Kris shouted. "You woke up when the lady approached you!"

"And you're alive now." Chanyeol added. "Very much alive."

Rina faked a cough. "That would be because of me, I was that lady." She giggled.

"But how am I alive now?" I further asked. There were many questions now. Everything seems to be falling into pieces. What I fear now is the ending. What does this lead to?

"You begged Elune." Nuna said. "You begged her to give you another chance. She warned you, everything around you would suffer until such that you return. She reminded you have to suffer consequences such as she did in exchange for her daughter's welfare. In the end you cannot run from your fate. Remember that."

"Yes yes yes!" Rina added. "You were the reason why Kris had to leave. You were the reason why your mother was left by her husband. You were the reason why Suho and his girl friend broke up. You were the reason why Jae got into an 'accident'. And you could have been the reason why Chanyeol would suffer his next fate!"

"Stop bullting us!" Kris shouted. "Tao let's go."

"I can't." I resisted his hand.

"Tao..." Suho called. "You can't be believing all of this?"

Tears fell through my eyes. "It is my fault. Not just Jae. Everyone."

"It was my decision!" Kris argued. "It is not your fault!"

I nodded. "It is Kris. You are blinded by your feelings you thought it was all you but they are right, I cannot run away from my fate."

Kris punched my face. I fell to the grassy ground. "Wake up Tao! You never believe in fate! You create your own fate. We create our own fate! Stand up you coward!"

"Tao..." Chanyeol called this time. "You just have to keep fighting."

I shook my head. I tried to stand up but I got off balance and fell again. "If I stay, Chanyeol you would suffer."

"That's okay." Chanyeol said. "Since I grew up rich, I never knew the word suffer. No one died so how the heck would I know anything?"

"Still..." I insisted.

Suho's fist is shaking. "Tao... I love you. Are you gonna leave me also?"

I tried to kid around Suho and said, "Don't worry this time I won't say I love you so it would be different."

"Damn it Tao!" Suho shouted. "Why are you saying good-bye?! What will happen if Jae wakes up and you are not by her side! She would suffer! Tao she will! Tao oppa is gone!"

"Time is ticking." Nuna commented.

"Can I go?" Chanyeol asked.

"After he returns to us." Rina replied.

"No." Chanyeol shook his head. He stepped forward. "I mean can I go in his place?"

Rina laughed. "That doesn't worked that way, don't worry your time will also come!" She grinned.

"Well this it guys..." I tried to give a smile. I turned around before more tears fall from my eyes. "This was my best Summer." I waved my hand backwards. "What should I do?"

"TAO!" Kris yelled.

"You have to die the same way, climb the oak tree and fall to the ground."

I nodded. I climbed the trunk first.

"TAO!" Suho yelled this time.

I was grabbing the next branch.

"Don't go I beg you. Don't" Kris screamed. "Tao! TAO! LISTEN TO ME DAMN IT!"

Don't back down Tao. You are near the top.

"Tao! How can you make me fall for you and then leave me behind! Didn't you say you'll with me until I'm ready? " Suho yelled. "I'm not ready..." He cried. "Tao, I don't want to cry myself to sleep. Tao, please! I don't care if you choose me. Just please Stay. For J-Jae!"

Last branch.

"You know what to do." Nuna was next to me. I could have fallen out of surprise.

"I have one last favor." I pleaded. "Can I talk to Elune?"

"She is I and I am She." Nuna said. "What is it."

"Make this never happen. An illusion, me wishing that I am still alive. That I survived. Please. This is the least that I can do for them"

Nuna smiled. "An illusion, interesting choice of words. You humans pretend that some things are illusions, in fact they are actually distorted reality form from your wishful thinking and ignorance. But..." She paused. "Since you are the Winter Persona, I shall grant you your wish without cost."

With that I let myself fall once again. I felt the gush of wind through my back. It was a nice feeling. I heard them scream my name, I imagined my tears falling as I drop down the tree. Before I was truly gone, I had a vision.

"Before you fade, here is a little gift." The voice said. I assumed maybe it was Elune.

I saw Jae with her family. She was still a lively kid. It turns out she was the only child left. Her sister died when she was still inside the belly. Suho and his girlfriend never broke up. So that is Ji Hye, she really is a pretty girl. Chanyeol well he remained Chanyeol, still goofy. Kris never left for China. He stayed behind and frequently visits my grave. He always told me stories first.  

"Excuse me can I ask a question." I thought. I think my eyes were closed, everything was pitch black

"Go ahead Winter persona."

"The swings...  what are they? "

The voice reply. "The swings were a product of the oak tree. The very oak tree that granted my wish, the same oak tree that you died on. In such a way it is connected. You, the winter persona, are tied with the bond with those who sat the opposite side of the swing, you, winter persona who sat on the left are interloped with the fate of those who sat on the right. Suho, the spring persona, Chanyeol, the summer persona and Kris, the autumn persona. You were the first to be re-chosen; pretty soon, they too would be taken. Because that is your fate: to be drifted in eternity."