Chapter 7: Closer (Day 6)

Summer Playground

Suho's POV 

I would admit that everything last night was nice. The theme of the party, the ambiance, the people, the drinks (although I avoided the strong ones) was just the thing I need to get to run away from my problem. But what I couldn't understand was why I am sleeping beside Tao holding his hands. 

Last night I remembered drinking about 6 bottle of liquor. And then... I asked where to pee and I think I blackout. From the looks of it, Tao might have taken me here to sleep. But that doesn't answer why I am holding his hands. Maybe he was the one who grabbed my hand and slept beside me. That makes sense.  

Even so, why do I feel a bit guilty. I don't understand myself at all. I tried to remove my hands from his grasp but he got mad, in his sleep of course. I forcefully pull my hands but it ended up him recoiling and hugging we in the process. His face was only a few inches from me. He began to open his mouth, "go to hell, bastard."

Doki.. Doki.. My heart is beating fastStupid heart, why are you beating so fast? Do I perhaps like him? I brushed his hair away from his head. I realized he really has deep eye bags. He has a very nice nose too. I feel confused. Maybe I needed more rest. I breathe in two times and found myself hugging him back. 

 Tao's body is surprisingly toned. It sounds wrong now that I think about it. Stop thinking Suho and go back to sleep. 

"One morning flower, Two morning flower, Three morning flower..." 

Jae's POV

It is a beautiful day! I can't believe Suho oppa stayed here! It feels like we are married. Omo! 

Maybe I should visit him in his room. I didn't had the chance to see him much to the party. I haven't formally introduce to daddy my future husband. This is big

My stomach gave me a signal. "I'm hungry." 

I run to my parents room and opened their door. They were still sleeping soundly. Father must have been tired, I'll let them sleep some more. 

Maybe I would go to nuna's. Her room was a mess. Either she wasn't really here or the mess buried her alive! "Nuna!" I screamed. 

I waited then screamed again. 

"Jae?" She replied. It came from the bathroom. 

"Nuna, you awake! Let's eat!" 

"In a while Jae, wake Tao and Suho up, let us just eat outside!" Her voice echoed through the room. 

"Okay!" 

Breakfast with Suho oppa, we really look like a married couple! 

I went down the stairs and bang the door open. I was about to scream their names when I saw them hugging together. Omo! This is big! Daebak! Where is oppa's camera?

I walked slyly and searched his bag for his camera. He always bring with him his camera so most likely it is here. Jackpot! 

"Smile oppas." I clicked the camera thrice.

I giggled away and escaped to the second floor. Upon reaching the stairs, my steps have gotten heavier. I ran fast to unnie's room and  saw her drying her hair.

"What happened, something good?" She asked. 

I nodded hardly, "Not just good, excellent!" I showed her the pictures and she laughed so hard. 

"Jae I am so proud of you right now." She hugged me. 

"I know!" 

"Do you wanna come and print it before Tao deletes them?" 

I nodded. We left immediately after she got dressed. 

Suho's POV 

I still can't sleep. Counting morning flowers didn't work. The only thing that I can see was Tao's sleeping face which as much as I don't want to admit, aroused me at some point. Damn hormones. 

I never had this urges when I was with Ji Hye. This is definitely not love... but lust. Lust is no better SUHO! 

For the time being I began playing with Tao's hair. At the same time, I was talking to myself, arguing morality and sanity. I think I am going insane. At one strand on his back hair, I accidentally pulled it, waking him up from his slumber.

He opened up his eyes and fixated me with a cold look. He scanned my face for a few seconds before pushing me off the bed.  

"What the hell?" I asked. I got up from the floor and wiped my clothes.

"What are you doing." His eyes were still red. 

"You made me into a pillow." I defended. 

"I did not." He said.

I shook my head. "You hugged me like a bear, I swear I could die from suffocation."

"Really now, why didn't you?" He asked. 

"What do you..." Did he just asked why I didn't die? "You were grabbing my hands!" I avoided the question. 

He laughed. "Really now?" He coughed, " Don't leave me" He mimicked. "Who do you think cried and beg me not to go." 

Did I beg him not to go? Does that mean that I was the one who grabbed his hand first. Suho what is happening to you?

"You remember now" he yawned. 

"Why didn't you let go of my hands?" I asked. I wanted to know. It was weird after all. Maybe this is not one-sided, whatever it might be. It's weird to assume but it is better to know now than to struggle later. 

"You were lonely."

I gave him a confused look. 

Tao sighed, he brushed his hair with two hands and yawned.. "Your words." He paused and looked into my eyes. "I said them before. 'Why did you leave me? I needed you.'  I lived in loneliness and confusion for years. Don't misunderstand, I just don't want to see another me."

"What do you mean." 

Tao snickered. "Just something in the past."


Tao's POV

After some thoughts laying here in bed, motionless, for hours after having lunch outside with them, I decided to leave the house. I wrote on a post-it, sticked on the refrigerator saying I was out be back after dinner 

I went by the playground climbing up the low hill. There were a few children playing still at this time. Along with them were siblings or parents who enjoyed playing with them. Summer was the best time for families I guess. 

The playground was a different world at night. It's quiet and really calming. It makes me reminisce. This was where I met him. My very first friend. We played together, we told each other's  secrets that for little kids were a big deal, we always kept it sealed for every pinky promise. Those were the days. Sometimes I am curious to where he is now. That sick bastard. 

I visited the oak tree, now circled with a low fence. No one dares to climb you anymore. I pitied the tree. I touched its trunk and it felt warm. Next, I sat the right swing and swayed it gently.

I can't make it to words but it was as if this playground really took a big role in my life. It held too many memories of me. 

Footsteps... 

I opened my eyes and saw Suho approaching. 

"Hello." He greeted. 

I nodded and closed my eyes once again. He took the swing next to mine and sighed.  

"You enjoy this swing too right?" he commented without looking. His eyes were lost in the skies. 

"Not really." 

"Liar" He replied. 

I was not really lying. The swing he was sitting on was his favorite swing. I remembered how that guy acted so cool. He said "This swing would be my swing alone, you can take that swing. No, you have to take that swing. So we would always be near each other." 

"I'm sorry" He suddenly said. 

"For what?" I turned my head at him. 

He snickered, "For thinking you were a ghost, hugging you, stuffs like that."

I looked up again and replied. "Stupid."

He opened his mouth and closed it after a few seconds.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Nothing."

"Okay." 

The wind gets chilly even if it is summer at nights. But it didn't bother me much. I got used to it. 

A little while later he started talking, "You know on the day we first talked, my girlfriend broke up with me." 

Is he talking to me? 

"She was one year ahead of me. I really liked her, she knows what she wants and once she decided on things she does it unwaveringly." He paused then continued. "On that day, she said she loves me. It was the first time she uttered those words. She always says she likes me. But for some reasons she dump me. Initially I was hurt. It was our anniversary. She loves me, I love her, I don't know where it could have gone wrong. But searching for the reason is stressful, it is one of the mysteries I rather not search for."

I really don't see why he was telling me this. But I know I should just listen. Maybe even if he got friends, this was something he rather tell to a total stranger.  

"I thought I would be sad for a while— two weeks maybe. But for some reasons, I was happy. Because of you and Jae." He smiled deeply. "It really is weird. Telling this to a stranger... no, we are friends now right?" 

I raised my eyebrows.

"I can assume as much right? " He remarked, smiling again. This time it was a simple smile, nothing erted about it. 

I nodded. 

"So why are you here?" Suho asked.

"I... tried to overcome my fear." 

He looked confused and shocked at the same time. 

"I have this fear of commitment. Too big to the point that making friends is almost impossible. I fear that when I get too attached, I leave myself too vulnerable. Just like before."

I let out a deep sigh and went, "but my cousin said, not everyone is like him. I know that for the matter, but sometimes in order to face reality, reality must strike you really hard. Ironically she said it nicely but it came out such a big blow."

Suho didn't say anything but he reached out his hand and pat my head. This is one of his habits I assume. 

"Do I look like a dog?" I commented.

"I'm sorry?" 

"Patting... dog..." I prolonged.

He paused, took his hand and said sorry, smiling. 


Suho's POV

He stayed there for a few minutes. This feels like last week. I was swinging, she was swinging. The only difference is the day and mood. 

"So what are you gonna do with that?" He asked.

"Which?" I asked.

He pointed to my lap. "Ohh the box..." I sighed. "I was thinking of whether I should open it or not."

"You know it isn't pandora's box." He commented. "What else could make your life worse?"

Regret. Guilt. More pain. I could think of many but I decided to keep it inside. He does have a point though. 

"Don't worry." He suddenly said, "Worse comes to worse, I'm here."

I blushed. My eyes blinked fast. Subtly, I can feel my heart fluttering a bit. What is this? 

"This box... I'll give it to you." I said. 

He looked at me dully. "I don't like taking crap you know?"

I laughed. "Do whatever you want with it."

He took a pause and got it from my hands.

"Thank you." 


Tao's POV

"I better be going." I said and smiled.

"Oh!" He exclaimed. "You smiled!" 

Stupid. 

"See you..." I waved my hand and walked down the hill.

After a little while he started calling, "Wait!!"

I stopped for a while and then walked again. 

"Seriously this sadist, wait!!" 

This time I stopped for real. He ran down swiftly and once he reached me heave heavy breathes. 

"I..." breathe, "have something" breathe... "to say." 

After gasping few air, "I think like you."

I blushed. This was the first time anyone said those words to me. uhm.. "Thank you. I like you too... maybe" 

He smiled. "Good. See you tomorrow okay?" 

He pat my head and hurried along. 

What was that? Aish he really is such a ert. Whatever, he is weird. I'm hungry.