Chapter 4: Memories (Day 3)

Summer Playground

Suho's POV

Stupid ghost. 

Here I was thinking, I could at least make a decent talk with that guy. Mean, evil, killer

"Suho." My hyung called. "What's wrong?"

I churned the bacon lighter this time. "Nothing." I lied. 

"Then stop gnawing your meat so hard. You look like sometimes torturing you." 

There is someone. His name is Tao. He is devil's incarnate, stupid excuse for a man. "Sorry." I replied. "I'm done."

I immediately left for my room.

On my way up, one of our maids asked me if there was something bothering me. She seem to sense there was something bothering me.

I sighed in defeat and admitted there was someone. 

She said, "Go make peace with him. Young master doesn't look good with a bothered face."

I smiled. "Really?"

"Not really, you still look handsome, young master." She kid. 

I thanked her for the compliment and continued ascending the stairs. I prepared my jogging attire and  changed into a thinner and more comfortable clothing and left at the back door. My driver asked if I was going somewhere and needed him. I shook my head and said I was just gonna go for a jog. 

He further asked, "Do you want me to fetch you later sir?"

I paused. "I'll just call my hyung." 

On my way down, a few more people greeted me and asked where I was going. They gave me a  few queries, some compliments and a lot of bowing. By the time I reached the gate of our house, I've accumulated more than 20 greetings. 

I jogged around the local park a few minutes' walk from our house. The park was filled with different shrubs and trees planted in between sidewalks and beside benches. At the middle was a pond with few turtles swimming by. The park was not too big but was functional enough for gatherings, a normal jog or a simple date out in the temperate sun. 

I met some frequent joggers upon entering from the side arch, again they greeted me. I grabbed my headset and played a random track on the list. Consequently, the first song was my girlfriend's favorite track. She has always been a fan of Utada Hikaru. 

While jogging, I've listened closely to the lyrics of her single 'First Love'.

I really do miss her. I wonder how she has been these pass two days. What was going on with her to suddenly decide to break up. I know I can clear this up. There is hope! 

I remembered seeing her during our first year in college. She was wearing a campus shirt and jeans. She hid her face with a thick-bordered reading glasses and carrying a book with an apple design on it. I decided to approach her and asked what was she reading. She was surprised that someone talked to her and said sorry for being surprised. I asked again what was she reading. She flipped the book so as to let me view the title: Freakonomics. I assumed she was an Econ major. She giggled again after seeing my reaction and asked "You don't like books?" I shook my head. "I love books." She raise her eyebrow heave a sigh of disbelief. "I do!" I reacted. She nodded and commented I don't have to be so denial. I dropped the subject and she said good-bye. 

"Ji Hye..." My heart skipped a beat. 

I did 3 more rounds circling the park before coming to a stop. I stood up for a minute and sat down to quench my thirst. I wanted to take a bath. Grabbing my hand towel from my bag, I dap it on my chest and wiped my face off the sweat. 

As I came outside the side arch once again, I saw little Jae with her sister. I called her and she waved vigorously seeing me. I paced faster to reach where they were. 

"How do you do?" I bowed. 

Her sister simply smiled. Jae grinned showing me two thumbs up. 

"You are Tao's friend right?" Her sister said. 

I am not too sure. "Yes." I lied. 

"I thought so." She giggled. "You have a very memorable line: haunted by a ghost named Tao" 

I brushed my head. Suddenly, I got all red. 

"Have you eaten?" She later asked. 

I shook my head and said, I'll be eating soon. 

"Eat with us today." She said. "Right Jae?" 

"Yes yes yes yes!!!" She jumped. 

Aww cute little Jae. 

I laughed and thanked her. "No need, my house is nearby. Thank you."

"Oh come on, I insist. Tao would be there." 

Suddenly Jae whispered to her sister. 

"Okay, okay." She replied. 

Jae rushed to the next door and began shouting "Oppa!" 

"Anyway, come on." She smiled like Jae. 

I was about to say something when my tummy betrayed me. It churned. 

"I thought so." 

Tao's POV 

At 11 am, I was woken up by my very loud mother. Amidst her baby face and petite figure, she was an excellent athlete in her days and applied it to me, her one and only son to forcefully wake me up from slumber. 

I yelped when slammed by her elbow on the back and argued she could have done it normally. 

"As if you would wake up that way." She stressed. "Go eat lunch to your aunt's place today okay? I have to go somewhere."

"Market?" I asked, hiding behind my comfortable bed sheets. 

"Goodness Tao, just wake up will you?" She avoided my question. 

"In a while. I promise" 

"Aish! I give up. I dunno where you got this laziness from." By the time she said laziness she was already walking down stairs. 

She always leave the door open upon leaving. Doesn't she have her own door? Is it such a foreign invention or a complex rule to understand?

After re-closing the door, I was proud to say I could now re-enter slumber land and wake up a few minutes before she returns. But it didn't go as planned, before I can even close my eyes, Jae came by screaming on our front door. "Oppa!!"

There goes my alarm...

"I won't stop until you wake up oppa!"  She was pounding on the door and constantly shouting oppa!

True. Jae doesn't care if the neighborhood gets bothered. Everyone loves her so they see it cute. It doesn't decrease the fact that she is a petite kid. 

"Coming!" I screamed. 

I ran downstairs and found her waiting at the front door. 

"Oppa, let's eat." She giggled. 

We went out together. I was holding her hand and she was swaying it back and forth slowly. In front of the gate, she went, "Oh... where are they?" 

I asked who was it but she merely shook her head and replied "just talking to myself." 

"Maybe you are haunted a ghost!" I mimicked Suho.

She didn't get it and said I was weird.

Jae was getting agitated and made me hurry. She probably was extra hungry today. I noticed there was an extra pair of shoes outside their front door and I assumed they had a guest. Judging from the size, it must be a guy's. I wonder if nuna has a boyfriend now.

"Jae." I called upon entering the front door. "Does your sister has a boyfriend?" 

Jae shook her head. "Just a special guest."

Special guest eh. I wonder who it is

Jae kept on giggling until I saw him sitting beside an empty chair and opposite of nuna's. "What is he doing here?" I asked to myself. 

Jae's parents acknowledged our presence when we arrived and complimented Jae for waking me up faster. "You are an expert in this." 

"Of course." She bragged. 

"Don't sound amused, it means you should be a chicken!" I said. 

"A pretty chicken." She insisted. 

"A chicken." I replied. 

"Not pretty?" 

Everyone came to a pause. Suho hold his laughter.

"Very pretty." Suho said when no one spoke for a while. 

"Xie xie oppa." Jae thanked in Chinese.

"Xie xie?" Suho asked. "Ahhh! Dui bu qi" He mispronounced the 'qi' to zi.

All of us ended up laughing. Even Jae who seemed to laugh even if she didn't get it. 

"Don't try too hard." I whispered to Suho.

"You should invite your friend often Tao, he is fun"