Chapter 11: Rivalry Accepted (Day 9)

Summer Playground

Kris' POV 

The following day, the giddy friend called to Tao and invited all four of us to dinner. The only reason I agreed was because Tao said he would be going. I never thought Tao would be the type of person to actually accept an invitation where he has to put effort on it. Maybe the one who called was a special friend.

The guy chose a local restaurant near the park after asking each of us where we wanted to eat. 

"Anywhere." Said Tao. 

"Your choice." Said Suho.

"I don't know. Don't look at me." I replied. 

In the end he chose this infamous noodle restaurant. 

We arrived around 9pm. There were still a few people left inside. It smells like the sea— that kind of smell that's calming without having too much scent, maybe milder than vanilla. 

I envy the Chanyeol kid. He can keep up with everyone. I noticed Tao was a still a little bit awkward with the company. Suho, well, the guy kept vibing his surroundings as if someone might be spying on us. 

Tao has a weird set of friends. Although I think I was to blame. 

A noona in hanbok came and gave us the menu. She asked what was our order. Tao said we shall call her when we are ready for it.

She nodded and left. 

Chanyeol yet again asked what we wanted. 

"Anything." Said Tao.

"Hmm, choose for me." Said Suho.

"I don't know. Look at the menu." I replied. 

Chanyeol, all willingly ordered for all of us. He said he wanted to taste four different noodles and this is an important opportunity. 

Suho did the first talk after our order was taken up. He asked about how China was outside of Xiamen and Beijing. He always reply with "Ohh."

Chanyeol got annoyed. "Hyeong, your questions are boring!" He looked at me and asked, "so why do  you like Tao." 

Suho punched Chanyeol. I blushed. No one really asked me that question. Maybe because no one actually knows. This is all sort new to me. 

"Sorry for that." Suho said. 

Chanyeol bowed. "So why?" He insisted. 

Tao sighed. 

"Hmm I dunno. He was someone who has always been around me. You could say he was always a sun. Bright and all. Both good and bad. Yin and yang. He was someone who doesn't stab you in the back."  I said. 

"Someone who stabs you in front, sometimes too deep." Suho commented. 

"Exactly." I agreed.

"Hey!" Tao exclaimed. 

We all laughed. 

"Finally, the noodle!!" Chanyeol was happy. 

For the rest of the meal, Chanyeol and Tao were the only one talking. They enjoyed it the most. Tao was smiling. I'm happy. I still like him actually and I don't plan on giving up. Not now. Especially to someone who seems to keep secrets about himself. 

All in all it wasn't such a bad day. 


 Tao's POV

Chanyeol accompanied me walking outside the local shack, he was the one who started the conversation every time we meet and he doesn't require much effort.

Kris and Suho got stuck on the back. They weren't talking but fortunately they were not arguing. Chanyeol began telling stories about how Suho was when he was a child. Before Suho was a very fat kid. His belly was almost a perfect circle he described it. Suho was pampered since he was young. But one day, he said he doesn't want to be pampered anymore, ever since then he started to lose weight.

"I on the other hand, didn't gain any weight but still live pampered." Chanyeol laughed.

I bet those two regret coming with us. I can't help but feel a little bit guilty.

"So, tell me about Kris, the tall guy who is colder than an ice cream."

I applauded Chanyeol for his creative description. "He... was the silent type. He was very temperamental. He got mad easily and he hates crowded places. For all its worth he was very honest. Passionate, even. I couldn't find anyone as noble as him." I admitted.

Chanyeol did say anything. "That was totally opposite of what I imagine you would say." He continued. "So are you a childhood couple?"

"No." I blushed.

"Are you planning on becoming a couple?"

"No."

"Does he likes you?"

"Yes."

"Does Suho hyeong likes you?"

"What?"

"Sorry, loves you?"

"What...."

"I'll take that as a yes."

"Chan..."

"Do you like Kris hyeong?"

I didn't reply.

"Do you like Suho hyeong?"

I didn't reply also.

"I'll take that as a yes." He smirked.

You can never win logic with Chanyeol. I'll take that in mind.

Suho's POV

I wonder what they are talking about. Tao just blushed.

I sighed in dismay and walked stagnantly.

Kris was obviously bored with me.

"Do you love Tao? Kris asked.

I paused for a while and stopped walking. I waited for a reassuring distance with Chanyeol and Tao and said, "I don't know. I like him. I really do but I don't know if it is already love."

Kris snickered. "That is why he can never belong to you."

I clenched my fist to store my anger. "Why is that."

"You would just confuse him." He said strongly. "You say you like him now, but afterwards what will happen?"

"Better than leaving him without saying anything." I argued.

"I did it because I cared for what others would think about him. I cared about his reputation. I love him." He ended with solemnly. "He was a family."

I understand that Kris has been in Tao's life longer than I do. It might be possible that he meant more than I do. But I don't want to lose him now. "The decision is not up to you but to Tao."

Kris nodded. "You're right, up to this point, he is very vulnerable. He can sway any moment."

He gave out his hand, "May the best man win."

I gave him  mine and we shook hands. For the rest of the night, we watched Chanyeol and Tao talking about something that they would really amusing. As much as I want to escape boredom, it felt a little less pain that someone is having the same burden as I do.