Chapter 7

Don't Say Goodbey...

 

CHAPTER 7

 

written in Jaejoong POV 

 

I remember a scream, heat and then darkness. Now, when I open my eyes there is silence, it's cold and the room is full of light. Everything is white. It's hurting my eyes so I blink rapidly. What happened? Where am I? A hospital? Then where is everyone? Yunho. I talked to him and then... Was there an accident? The lights... I pushed him away, right? I pray he is not hurt. Oh God, please. If you exist, make it so he is alright. I close my eyes for a brief second but before I can open them again, I drift off.

 

When I wake up, it's the same as before. Well... almost. It's a bit darker now. I can see through the window that the sun is slowly setting. It's better this way. My eyes don't hurt so much. I wish I could say the same about my heart. You always see it in the dramas. People sleeping in the hospital, waiting for their loved ones to wake up. But my room is empty. There is nobody crashing on the chair next to my bed. Doesn't anybody love me? 

 

Suddenly, I become nervous. How long was I out? If it has been only a few hours, my family would not have enough time to arrive to Seoul and Junsu and Yoochun may have been kept by their schedule. Yoochun is even shooting somewhere outside of Seoul so it may take longer for him to get here. But what if I was out too long? Maybe years have passed and so they come only occasionally. That's not such a bad idea. If I slipped into a coma, maybe I was asleep for a long time. If that's the case... Yunho coming to see me is also a possibility. Afterall, I ended up here saving him so perhaps... I break into a smile only to scold myself. I can't hope. I am so stupid. The last time, I was so crushed. If I let myself believe again... won't I just be hurt even more? What if indeed years have passed but nobody comes anymore. Have my fans forgotten about me too?

 

I am still thinking about all the possibilities when a nurse enters. She is middle aged and looks pretty enough. She is carrying a silver plate with an IV bag. She stops when she sees I am awake and smiles. She has a nice smile and I smile back.

"Hello, Mr Kim. I am happy to see you finally awake. We were starting to worry."

"Hello."

"How are you feeling? Does anything hurt?"

"Not really. I think I am fine."

"Glad to hear that."

She continues to smile and proceeds to change the IV. 

"Uh... I... How long have I been here?"

"Oh, I am so sorry. I completely forgat you must be confused."

"It's okay."

"We first admitted you two weeks ago. There was an accident on the set. You weren't hurt much, only a slight concussion but a fire broke up. You suffered some first and second degree burns as well as a minor three degree burns. You had a bit of a luck since somebody got you out before you would get seriously burned and your face was left unharmed. Your arms and legs were covered in first and second degree burns so most of them are healed by now. However, the lights, which were the source of fire, crashed on your chest, making the area a three degree burn. Perhaps you know, that's the most serious one. You were in shock after the accident happened and because of the severity of the burns, you've got a slight infection. Normally, it wouldn't be much of a problem but your company insisted on a surgery so the burns wouldn't leave a lasting damage. However, we cannot operate if a patient has a high fever. Unless, his life is in danger of course, but yours wasn't. So we had to wait. Fortunately, you got better four days ago so we did the surgery and I am pleased to inform you, it went well. We are optimistic about your healing. With the third degree burns the period may vary and therefore, we shall wait and see how will the area change as the time goes and if there is any need, we will operate on you again. You are required to stay in the hospital for another week and receive the post operation treatment as well as the rehabilitation. Fortunately, your organs or bones weren't seriously injured but there is still a need for some exercises."

I nod, trying to comprehend everything. She explained my situation very well and I am relieved to hear, I will be fine soon. However if... If I was here for two weeks, why isn't anybody here? And is Yunho really okay? I am afraid to ask but I need to know.

"Has... Has anybody else been injured?"

"From the set? I think not. The fire was put down quickly. Only the person who got you out had a few burns too but they were all first degree ones so I assume he is completely healed by now."

"Do you know, who it was?"

"I am sorry but I do not."

"That's okay. I will try to find out later."

"Do you have any other questions? Should I call your doctor for you?"

"You don't need to. You explained the situation well enough for me. I will talk to him later. Just... Has anyone come to visit me?"

"Your mother and sisters come every day but since you were not in a life threatening situation, they usually stay only for a few hours. Your group mates came too. I believe about four or five times. The CEO from your company showed up once too as well as the PD for your drama. However, we have strict rules about visiting the patient so unless they are your family, they can't see you. All of the presents, flowers and letters sent by the fans are stored in a separate room since it wouldn't fit in here."

"Ah yes, thank you. Now, when I am awake, they can come to see me, right?"

"Of course."

"Thanks. Could I have my phone? And perhaps you can bring in some of the letters my fans sent? I would like to read them."

"Of course. Later then."

"Goodbey and thank you again."

She leaves and I sink deeper into the pillow. It's already evening. I doubt anyone would come today. I my shirt and peek at my chest. It's all bandaged up so I can't see the damage. I remember my tattoos. Oh no. I forgat to ask if my tattoos are intact. I know, I should be grateful I am okay but I am worried about it. The tattoos represent me. They are a big part of myself and some of my first ones as well as probably the most important ones are on my chest. I place my hand on the place I have them and wince. The skin is still very sensitive towards touch. I should have known. 

 

The nurse comes back with my phone and a bag full of letters.

"Here you go."

"Thank you very much."

"No problem."

"Uh... can I ask another question?"

"Go ahead."

"My tattoos... Are they..."

"Ah, you are worried about them, right? Well, the most damaged area is more on your right and slightly down so your tattoos were only a bit affected and we recovered them all during the surgery so it should be fine."

"Thanks."

She smiles and it makes me feel warm. She must be a really good person. She leaves me alone and I wonder what shall I do. If I contact someone they may feel a need to come (or responsibility). I am still a bit sulky about waking up alone in here. So I abandon that idea and instead check the online news. I find some articles about the accident but not much is revelead. I wonder who saved me. I must make sure to thank him later. I spend about an hour on the internet and then start to read the letters. One would think, that after two weeks, I would have enough of sleep but my body disagrees. I manage to read only five when I feel my eyes closing. I fall asleep hoping tomorrow will be better.

 

to be continued

SUBSCRIBE, COMMENT AND UPVOTE  :)