Cold

Gold digging Heart breaking Money making

Hyesung was trembling again, his knees weak. He felt a mixture of fear and panic coming alive in his chest, his eyes darting back to the door, then around the room, expecting someone to jump at him and arrest him. His plan had fallen through. This was his trap.

He clutched his hands around his body, trying to stop himself from shivering. It was cold, so cold.

What to do, what to do echoed in his mind, his frantic thinking making him dizzy. What about Jinny? Had Dongwan betrayed them?

‘Jung Pilkyo’ he heard Eric’s voice and he jumped around, looking like a deer caught in headlights. The taller man came closer yet kept his distance, stopping and casually leaning against the doorframe. There was a file opened in his hands- it must have been information on him. He was caught. This was the end.

‘You have quite the history’ the tall man shook his head when he looked through some pages before straightening himself ‘You’ve scammed a dozen of men like this. Throw out a bite, then wait for the fish to get hooked’ he took a step towards the other, causing Hyesung to back up.

‘Ah, but don’t worry’ he looked away, turning to his table instead ‘if I had wanted to turn you in, I would have done that days ago’ he put the file down, returning to his original position. ‘I’m just leaving it here so you can take it on your way out. Or- you could stay’

Hyesung stared at him in disbelief.

‘What?’

Eric smiled, once again leaning against the doorframe as he crossed his arms. He looked calm, reasonable, there wasn’t the slightest indication that he was lying.

‘I said you could take it with you on your way out or leave it. I also wonder if this is the first time I’m getting honest emotion out of you’

Hyesung stirred, unsure if he should make a dash for it but hesitating because Eric was blocking the way. Then his eyes caught the expensive necklace in Eric’s hand, tempting him with its shine.

‘You want this?’ Eric noticed him looking at the object in his hand ‘why don’t you take it then?’ he let out a chuckle at the other’s bewildered look when he said that.

‘What?’ Hyesung felt his heartbeat increase, his knees turning to pudding and making it hard for him to stand straight. Eric shook his head again, as if he was dealing with a little unreasonable baby, and tipped his head to one side.

‘It’s been a tradition to pass it among the women in our family, you see- so theoretically, it never belonged to me. But as my future bride to be I believe it’s officially yours. You love me, right? So you’re going to accept the offer, I assume’

Shame and embarrassment colored Hyesung’s face red, making him desperate and angry. He glared, his heart committing a small-scale suicide on its own. His breath hitched and for a moment he thought it had stopped beating. Why would Eric do this to him? Playing these mind games; it was worse than being beaten down or thrown into a jail. He hated Eric with all his being, hated him for putting him through this, hated every cell in his body for making him love again.

‘Fine. If that’s your offer then I’m going to accept it’ he said, his teeth gritted, forcing himself to swallow the tears wallowing up in his throat. It was a nice little joke but the security should appear any moment now, ending the hell he was going through.

Eric nodded, not making a move, just standing still and waiting. If he really was letting him go, he would be a complete idiot. Hyesung forced himself to look at him, expecting mockery and anger yet meeting the same unreadable expression as before. His hands fell to his sides in helplessness. He felt lost.

‘Are you hesitating?’ Eric asked. Did he sound angry, sad, happy? Hyesung had no idea and he had no time to guess. If this was his chance, it was a chance of a lifetime. It could be a trap but Eric already knew everything. There was no sense in trapping him.

He took a hesitant step towards the other, reaching for the necklace until his fingertips brushed it lightly. It was a beautiful work of art with dazzling jewels in white gold, capturing his heart and making him forget the danger he was facing. Eric let it go, it sliding in Hyesung’s hands unceremoniously. Realizing that he had nowhere to put it, Hyesung stuffed it in his pocket. It was unrefined and brutal, completely absurd but so was the entire situation.

‘Usually you put it around your neck’ Eric commented, his arms now crossed over his chest ‘the heir puts it on the bride to show his devotion and appreciation for the wife to be’

Hyesung tightened his fists, snapping his head up to look at Eric.

‘Well, too bad I’m not your bride’

In response, Eric shrugged, his tone ironic.

‘Oh, really? And I already thought we had our wedding night’

Hyesung could feel hot tears escaping his eyes, ashamed he let the other see them. Yet, the changed tone in Eric’s voice wounded him more than any insults he could thrown at him. How was it possible to love and hate someone as much at the same time?

Do it for Junjin a voice in his mind reminded him why he was going through this hell, strengthening the resolve that was weakening with every spoken word. If Eric had waited for him to break down and beg for forgiveness, he was wrong.

‘Tell me to leave it and I will. I’ll leave without it’ he suddenly said and he would. He would leave with his pride intact. He would think of something else, he knew he could. If Eric wanted a proof that he had not lied to him about how he felt, he would give him the satisfaction. It was crazy but he needed Eric to know. This was not what Eric wanted from him, probably, but this was all he could offer.

Eric shook his head, his tone soft now ‘Don’t cry, baby’

Hyesung froze. He waited, expecting Eric to say something more, but he kept silent.

‘ing freak’ he grumbled at last, turning his back to Eric and looking at the table with the folder. He may not understand but what was happening between them was ridiculous. Hyesung hesitated, then walked over to the table and took the file. He flipped it open, looking at the tens of pages of information describing his past. How Eric had managed to gather all of this was beyond his understanding but right now it didn’t matter. He snapped it close, looking at the only exit of the room where Eric stood, unmoved, well aware that he had to pass him if he wanted to leave. Had he been waiting for this? Would that be the moment for him to grab him and deliver to the police office?

What nonsense he though and strolled over the other with big steps, only slowing down when he came closer. Maybe Eric would just strangle him. Nobody would know or care; he was a nobody in this world.

With careful steps he exchanged his position with Eric who willingly let him pass, not as much as touching him. He just stood there like he had been turned to stone.

Finally, there were no more obstacles between him and the door.

‘You must hate me’ Hyesung said once outside of the room, looking at Eric standing there in marvel. The clear crisp air made every fluctuation of his voice stand out, the word ringing out clear and shaky. Eric’s eyes softened, the disapproval in his face malting away. Instead, a barely noticeable smile appeared on his lips. He looked so sad Hyesung wanted to look away but Eric held his gaze.  

‘I don’t’ he finally moved, making Hyesung flinch in response and Eric stopped. He sighed, one of his hands rubbing his tired eyes.

‘But I won’t lie. I’m not loving what you’re doing right now. I won’t lie and tell you it’s alright and that I didn’t think of calling the cops on you but- I can’t. I want you to realize it yourself, I thought you already did but-’ He was hesitant. He wanted to reach out but feared Hyesung would run away from him.

‘You don’t need to do this anymore, Pilkyo. We made a deal, right? You can stop running, I will take good care of you now’

Hyesung felt his breathing become ragged, the bundle in his throat more prominent than before. He turned around, quickly, unable to endure the stare anymore. He had to think about Jinny, and their dreams, and about his much needed knee operation, and about Dongwan, and that he couldn’t trust anyone. They deserved this. It was their one chance. Pretty words were nothing more than pretty words. He’d heard pretty words thousand times before. Promises those shouldn’t have been broken but were. Feelings would come and go and to gamble his entire life on such risk was an insanity.

‘You don’t trust me at all’ he heard sadness in Eric’s voice that hadn’t been there before.

He couldn’t. This moment was over. This was it.

‘I’m sorry’ he mumbled, unsure if the other had heard it before he willed his feet to listen. He walked towards the exit without looking back. If he did, he might see something terrible. He might see Eric with a gun. He did have a gun, right? Or he may see him calling for people to arrest him. Or he may see his angry face. Or he may see something even worse. He may see Eric cry. No matter what, he couldn’t look back.

 

 

End

 

 

 

 

 

a/n: Oh wow. That was absolutely heartbreaking. Although this is kind of the last chapter, there's still an Ending + Epilogue. It was the hardest thing for me to decide if the ending should be happy or sad so- you will see in the last chapter/Epilogue what I decided to go with. I thought about it for a long time and went with what felt right in my heart.