Low-down on the down-low

Gold digging Heart breaking Money making

The nightly sky lit up in bright neon signs.

Loud music cut through the chilling air filling it with noise. Tonight in the midst of movie premieres, music shows and award ceremonies this was the place to be. Everyone important all dolled up and laughing for the cameras, passing their fans and curious commoners made their way to the newly opened nightclub.

Being in the spotlight marked their success in life. 

‘Any comments?’ an overworked reporter living off of coffee and cigarettes tried to cash in some last-minute interviews, shoving the recorder in a face of a nearby celebrity.

Stock answers poured out of their mouths without honesty, their cardboard personalities escalating their model behavior. 

Idols, actors, socialites arrived from all sides, the spotlights amplifying their painted faces and dazzling accessories. They were the centre of the attention, the stars in the city where the skies were starless.

Obnoxiously loud and in need of attention they buzzed. Buzzed as bees around the hive, constantly on the move. And once they were sure they’d been seen and heard, they disappeared behind the confining walls away from the piercing eyes of their fans. 

With such islands of light attracting all life around them, the streets further away were left eerily quiet.

Unnoticed by the crowds in a dark alley a young man in a suit was nervously his lips, glancing at his wristwatch from time to time. He tapped on his earpiece three times to make sure it was working before returning to look at his watch.

‘How much longer?’ he asked as he carefully observed the car stopping in front of the club, sighing as yet another idol stepped out of it.

‘Relax, Hyesung, we’re not in hurry’ a voice tinted with amusement came out of the small device ‘if you're that eager to get in someone’s pants, you should have told Wanny’

He scowled at the answer, puffing up his cheeks in disagreement despite his efforts being lost in the darkness.

'Listen, Junjin, I love you and all but-’ another glance at his watch before he finished his thought ‘-I will murder you when I get back and sink your cold dead body in Han river.  It’s been more than two hours and I’m cold and hungry. He should be here already’

‘Relax’ the threats were falling on dead ears as Junjin’s voice stayed relaxed ‘such men like to arrive late. It’s their style’

‘Right. But anyway-’

‘No. No anyways’ Hyesung could practically see the other gesticulating while speaking, hopefully not knocking off another cup like the last couple of their conversations. They only had like three cups left and he sure as hell was not buying any more.

‘Nothing to worry about, hyung. Dongwan’s with them and on line with me. It's fine. They usually make him wait for two hours, sometimes even three. Sometimes they don’t appear at all, ok?’

‘Ok’

Despite it not being ok Hyesung could only wait. He indulged himself in sulking, his bottom lip protruding and eyebrows furrowing in a frown. There was nothing else to do and it had already been over two hours. The wind was picking up with a high chances of there being rain soon.

Hyesung shuddered as a raindrop hit him. Great. Even the weather was against him now. 

Pressing a hand to his eyes, he tried to rub the tiredness out of them.

‘Just update me as soon as possible, ok?’

‘Ok. Don't stress it, I'm on it'

The line went dead.

Junjin sounded chipper. Such happiness was in stark contrast to his own sour mood. What wouldn’t he give for a warm cup of coffee and a cigarette.

He adjusted his cuffs, looking for something else to do. There had to be a way to waste time when sitting alone in a dark alley. He rolled his neck a few times, stopping only after he heard a satisfying crack. Something caught his eye when he turned his head, making him wince in displeasure.

Disgusting was the only thought on his mind as he spotted a man passed out on the ground, a drunk or a homeless he did not care about. People like that were everywhere. People who let life get to them, giving into their worst demons and letting those chew and gnaw at them until they became useless. He had done everything to not end up on the streets, to never depend on anyone but himself. He felt no pity for the ones who couldn't do that because pitying someone was a shame. He turned away, looking at the wall instead. It wasn’t too dirty so he could lean against it. 

‘Hey, Junjin’, he touched the earpiece, ‘remember how I saved you?’

There wasn’t a reply right away but when it came it was in a sound of a chuckle, followed by the same optimistic tone.

‘Which time are you talking about? Are you feeling sentimental?’

Hyesung smiled and shifted from one foot to another. Maybe he did feel somewhat sentimental, maybe it was because of the weather or maybe because his injury from long time ago made its presence felt. Whichever it was, that day a couple of years ago if he hadn’t been there- he wasn’t sure they would be talking now.

Junjin would most likely be dead. Dead or maimed, whichever was worse. The men had been relentless, beating them to the pulp, only satisfied when they had shivered in the puddle of their own blood. He’d protected Junjin from most of the blows, his own leg broken and a few of his ribs cracked. Despite the pain the feeling of having saved Junjin that day was what kept him going.

Getting through thick and thin was all he had learned from life, having his friends was the only thing that mattered. 

'You know I was just thinking that when this is done you will be able to pay for my surgery like you promised, right?’

‘Right, hyung’ Junjin laughed ‘but won't you have enough money to pay for it yourself?’ he added with his voice shushed.

'So cheap,’ Hyesung sneered, the answer so typical for Junjin that he had not expected anything else.

‘Jinny I thought you loved me. You said you would do anything for me but as soon as I ask you for a favor you start looking for excuses. Didn’t you cry all night like a baby by my side, praying to all deities that if I walk again you would always take care of me? Jinny why do you hurt me so much? You know you’re mama’s little baby’

When the other didn’t reply Hyesung worried he had gone too far. 

‘Hyung just- shut up. I wasn’t in my right mind that time. I was hurt, scared... too young to understand what I was talking about. Shocked!’ the heartily laugher that accompanied his words made Hyesung wince in pain. The sheer volume of it hurt his ear and he knew Junjin had picked this loud obnoxious laughter from a TV-show they watched when younger. As long as he could remember he always laughed like that when in a good mood. It would be nice to hear him laugh happily for a long time. And afterwards, Junjin could go on to laugh in heavens while Hyesung would go to hell. It was fine that way.  

‘You're such a hypocrap, Jinny. Now tell me there’s some news or I’m going to go crazy’ 

Their line went dead again, Junjin hopefully doing something useful and contacting Dongwan to make sure their plan proceeded smoothly. Hyesung felt the tiredness washing over him.

It was the same rinse and repeat tactic they had been using for years. Sure, this time was different and the stakes were higher but there wasn't anything new about this- getting in through the backdoor, blending in with the crowd, observing and waiting for a chance. Then hook, line, and sinker.

‘Hyung, the plan’s off’ there wasn't a hint of optimism left in Junjin's voice when it returned. It was the only thing he said before cutting their conversation off.

‘What?’ Hyesung grabbed at the earpiece in desperation, trying to get it to work again, ‘You’re ing kidding me? I’ve been freezing my off out here for hours and you let me hanging like this? What the the plan's off? The ing crap you’re talking about?’

Frustrated he hit the wall behind him, expecting some response yet receiving none.

‘Yah! Junjin! ing answer me. What the is this? Is this a sick joke or something? Junjin? Junjin!’

Crap.

Hyesung waited, looking at his watch and counting minutes in disbelief.

Ten minutes. Twenty minutes. Half an hour.

'Enough' Hyesung ripped his earpiece out, stuffing it into his pocket. He turned around just to see the fallen man from before puking all over himself and the disgusting sight stirred something animalistic in him. He rushed forward, landing a deafening blow to his sides.

‘ing drunks. People like you make me sick' he hissed, hitting the man again, ignoring his moans of pain.

'Just die already’ Hyesung spat out and dealt one more blow to the man’s stomach before rushing off to where his car was parked.

Junjin wasn’t replying, his knee hurt and their plan had fallen through. Today was a bad day.


tbc

A/N: Hyesung’s like the sweetest person ever.

Also, I'm an idiot who fell asleep at the computer when proofreading this chapter. It was supposed to be posted yesterday. Ah, but thank you for your interest! Can I love you? I will, just let me ;D