Starting Fresh

Why You of All People

(Italics are CL's thoughts.)

When I walked into the gym, I could see the martial arts team practicing. I hid behind the bleachers and peeked my head out. My eyes scanned the team, intrigued by how skilled they are. Then my eyes landed on Tao. He was sparring with one of s. He was so fluid with his movements, his partner couldn’t land a single hit. This Tao was different from the the arrogant one I know. This one was a seriousand hard-working . Mesmerized by this different side of Tao, I didn’t notice that Tao stopped sparing. He looked up and turned his head in my direction. I quickly hid my head behind the bleachers, feeling my heartbeat race.

I hope he didn’t notice me, I really don't feel like dealing with his teasing right now. Anyways it’s dark now, I better get home.

As I was exiting the gym, someone grabbed my hand, pulling me back. I turn around to see Tao, drenched in sweat with a smirk.

“You came to see me practice CL? That’s so sweet.” Tao said, in a teasing tone.

“Of course not. I was just getting out of detention that was YOUR fault I got i the first place, and I got curious by what the noise was in the gym.” I replied while glaring.

“So mean. Anyways are you going home? Practice just ended and I can walk you home.” Tao inquired

“Thanks, but no thanks. I’d rather not show you where I live.” I answered. 

“It’s not safe for a pretty woman like yourself to be walking alone in the dark.” Tao said, sounding more serious.

“I can take care of myself just fine, so if you’ll excuse me.” I retorted, pulling my hand out of his, heading towards the nearest exit. 


Stupid Tao. Doesn’t think I can take care of myself. I’ve walked home plenty of times when it was dark.  Thoughts of criticism towardsTao floated around my head, but the sounds of footsteps behind me snapped me out of it. I kept a normal pace at first, and then gradually sped up. But as I sped up, so did the sounds of the footsteps behind me. I was almost home, so I sprinted. I ran and ran, but so did the footsteps, and they were catching up to me. My breath started to come out in just small huffs, and I couldn’t feel my legs anymore, but I kept running. But all my efforts were in vain as the man grabbed me by the waist with one hand and covered my mouth with the other. I tried kicking, squirming, slapping but nothing worked. The man pushed me down and started to put his hands under my shirt and slowly go upwards.

Oh god. I’m going to get right here and now. Someone help me!!

I felt tears form in my eyes, and then his grip on me suddenly loosened and then he got off from me entirely.  

“Don’t you ever touch her again! Otherwise I’ll have to break both your hands so you can never touch any one again!”

I look up and it’s Tao. I've never felt more relief 

“Idiot! I told you it's dangerous!” Tao said sternly , bending down to my level.

I didn’t say anything as tears dripped down my eyes.  

“Hey, it’s okay now. He’s gone.” Tao said soothingly, feeling guilty from yelling. Then he pulled me into a hug, rubbing my back. And for once I didn’t hate having him touch me, so hugged him back not wanting to let go.


Tao ended up walking me home the rest of the way, and the whole time I gripped onto a little of his jacket. When we got to my house, I opened the door and invited him for dinner and he happily obliged.  

“What are you cooking?” Tao asked, peeking over my shoulder.

“Chicken stew. You don’t mind do you?”

“No, no of course not. But will that be enough? What about the rest of your family?”

“I live alone. The rest of my family lives in Japan.” I mumbled.

“Oh, it must get lonely then right?” Tao said, leaning against the counter tops, watching me cook.

“Sometimes, but I have friends and nice neighbors that make feel less lonely.”

“Can I be one of those friends?” Tao suddenly asked

“I turned to him with a confused expression, “What do you mean?”

“I know we got off one the wrong foot, so let’s start over. Right now I just want to be friends.” Tao stated.

“That sounds great.” I said with a small smile.

“Let’s start now. Hi, my name is Tao.” Tao said, extending his hand out.

“Nice to meet you, my name is CL.” I replied. 


That’s how the rest of our night went. We ate, and got to know about each other a little bit better. While we were eating, I wanted to know why he kissed me and did so much skinship with me but that would probably make the atmosphere awkward, so I’ll save that question for another day. When we finished eating, I cleaned the dishes, while Tao just sat on the couch.

“Well it’s pretty late now, I better get home. I’ll see you tomorrow in class CL.” Tao said, heading towards the door.

“Wait!” I exclaimed, making Tao turn around. “Can, can you stay here tonight? I…I don’t want to be alone after what happened tonight.” I said sheepishly.

Tao didn’t say anything so I said, “It’s okay. That was selfish of me to ask, I’ll see you tomo-“

Tao walked towards me and gave me gentle hug. “It’s okay, I understand. I’ll stay with you tonight.”

“...Thank you.” I whispered, hugging him back. 


We went upstairs to my room. I got him some of my dad’s pajamas. I told him to take a shower, and I’ll take a shower in the other bathroom. When I got back, Tao was in my room already, sitting by my desk.

“So how are we gonna do this?” he asked me.

“My bed has a spare bed. Just pull it out and you can sleep there.” 

Tao did as he was told, while I got an extra blanket and pillow for him. I handed it to him and quickly, he laid down onto the bed.

“Goodnight Tao.” 

“Goodnight CL.”

I laid down onto my bed, but I couldn’t fall asleep. I looked out at the night sky, trying to make myself feel calm and make it easier for me to fall asleep but that wasn't working. As I was staring out, at the stars, I felt someone grab my hand. I looked down and saw Tao staring at me.

“There’s nothing to worry about, I’ll always be there when you need me. So go to sleep.” Tao said with a sincere smile.

“…Thank you...”

Tao’s word made feel more at ease, and as I closed my eyes, I slowly drifted off to sleep with a smile. And throughout the whole night, Tao didn’t let go of my hand.


Wow, it's been awhile guys! Sorry it took me awhile to update, had to finish one of my other stories and i got busy with high school. So hope you enjoyd this chapter, subscribe, and comment please!