009

Harsh

A week after the unwanted incident happened, Saera found herself walking through the familiar neighbourhood and once again a container was dangling from her right arm.

Saera walked slowly, taking in the beauty the surroundings had to offer. The Oh’s residence was situated in an area where vast trees of various colours, shapes and sizes grew freely and it was simply breath taking.

While she was mindlessly walking around, the younger Oh decided to invade her mind. His odd behaviour was confusing the nuts out of her.

Sure, he was still the sweet boyfriend; the hugs and surprise kisses were still there but Saera felt like he was out of her reach. It was as if there was an invisible barrier between them and Saera didn’t like it one bit.

Saera shook her head and looked up, reminding herself to be optimistic. She huffed and made a quick jump hoping to shake off the bad feeling. Saera nodded once and was about to take another step when a white audi raced by her.

Saera’s mood instantly went down and she mentally scolded herself for not informing Sehun she would visit him beforehand. She gloomily watched as the car sped away and muttered, “He didn’t tell me he was busy.”

Saera still did visited the Oh’s residence and decided that maybe his parents can enjoy the cake she brought.

So she entered the particular house and slumped herself onto the sofa. Mrs Oh came out and greeted Saera with a smile. Saera returned the favour weakly and raised her arms to pass the container to the queen of the household.

Saera sheepishly curled her hair behind her ear and told the elder that she baked the food herself before quickly telling her that it was okay if she didn’t want to eat it earning herself a cute laughter from the latter.

“Sehun.” Mrs Oh started.

“Is not at home.” Saera continued with a pout. Mrs Oh flashed her an apologetic smile and pat Saera’s head lovingly.

Saera informed Mrs Oh that she was going to stay until Sehun comes back, a decision which Mrs Oh is more than happy about. So, the two of them had a little chit chat about almost everything and didn’t even realise how fast the time flew for them.

Mrs Oh laughed at what Saera had said and her gaze unintentionally wandered to the rustic looking clock that was hung on the wall. A gasp emitted from her lips and she immediately pushed herself off the sofa.

“Omo, it’s already 5.30! I need to cook!” Without glancing a look at the puzzled Saera, Mrs Oh frantically made her way to the kitchen.

Saera laughed and sunk into the sofa. She sighed and fished out her phone to give Sehun a call. A curse left her lips when her phone didn’t light up when she pressed the home button. Ugh, why do you have to die now?

Now Saera really had to go home because one, she couldn’t call home to tell her parents that she’ll be late which will cause her trouble and two, she didn’t know what time her boyfriend would come home. She huffed and jumped onto her feet before gathering all her stuff and packed them into her bag.

“I’m going home!” Saera hollered and immediately left when she heard an okay from the kitchen.

She hastily wore her shoes and dusted her hands. Before she could even push herself up, the door flew opened and she was face to face with a surprise Sehun

And of course, with Mirae trailing behind him.

Saera fought the urge to roll her eyes and stood up without failing at the frown that was attached on Sehun’s face.

“But” Sehun paused and took his phone out, his thumb gliding up and down the screen as he looked through his phone. “You didn’t tell me you’d come.”

Mirae popped her head on top of Sehun’s left shoulder and threw a smile at Saera. “Oh, hi!”. I’m supposed to hate you but why are you so nice? Saera  gathered all of her strength and forced a smile. “Hey.”

Saera’s gaze returned to Sehun’s and she couldn’t help but to stare longingly at him. She searched his eyes as her she questioned him in her mind.

Even if I didn’t tell you I’d come, shouldn’t you at least be happy that I’m here?

She glanced at Mirae briefly and let out a shaky breath.

Was it fun?

She looked back into Sehun’s eyes and noticed that he was getting a hint of what she was feeling judging from the way his expression contorted into a worried one. Sehun reached out for and Saera swiftly dodged it, pretending to tie her shoelace.

Saera straightened up and smiled sadly at Sehun before giving his arm a slight squeeze.

But most importantly, did I even cross your mind?

Saera was about to reach for the door when Sehun gently yanked her back. Now, he was searching her eyes and his heart squeezed when he saw nothing.

Why can’t I read you?

Mirae took a step forward and looked at the two weirdly; a façade she got used to every time the couple have their moment. She cleared and beamed at Saera. “Don’t you want to stay a little longer? We can hang out!”

Saera looked at Mirae and was about to decline the offer before the latter continued.

“Or you can join us for our sleepover!”

“Sleepover?” Saera breathed. She looked up at Sehun and questioned again. “A sleepover?”

Saera had hinted Sehun earlier about how uncomfortable it was for her knowing her boyfriend was spending the night with his best friend and thought he’d get the message but clearly he didn’t.Was it hard for him to understand her?

Saera yanked her arm away, a little too harshly and shuffled her way to the door. She clenched her fists and turned around, awkwardly saying, “Maybe next time.”

Sehun opened his mouth to protest when Saera swiftly turned around and walked away.

Why are we like this?

 


Updated 031213 4.49pm