Distanced Emotions

All I Want Is You

Zombie Taehyun sat in the back of Team A's van as he stared off into the distance. He hadn't slept a wink the night before and the deep, panda-like dark circles only emphasized his lack of sleep. Even with the black cap he sported low over his eyes, the circles were still very apparent. Directly next to him Jinwoo chatted excitedly with Seunghoon who sat on the other end of the backseat and Seungyoon who sat in the middle row seat that was directly in front of the gloomy boy.

Mino, who sported similar dark circles also sat silently in the other middle seat that was in front of Seunghoon and merely stared out the window.

The other members, who were highly anticipating the friendly barbecue were too excited to take notice of the tense atmosphere between the two boys.

 

Jinwoo, finally realizing Taehyun's silence the entire trip, turned to the solemn maknae.

“Tae... you okay? Were you inspired by Seungri-sunbaenim? The panda look isn't really your thing.” he joked.

The broken-spirited boy ignored him and continued staring off into nowhere.

“Don't tell me you're going Diva on me again. What happened to you last night? You look like you haven't slept in a week.” He was met with more silence. Jinwoo gave him a worried expression but there was nothing he could do for the boy if he wouldn't even speak to him. He merely shrugged it off, hoping that his spirits would be lifted once they arrived at the barbecue.

 

The Team A van pulled into the parking lot of a park near the JYP entertainment headquarters. Soon after the Team B van followed and parked adjacently. The doors opened and 11 hyper boys hopped out.

Bobby wrapped an arm around Seungyoon's shoulders. “Hyung, I swear I had a dream last night about this barbecue! I ate so much meat that I turned into a cow and—”

“Man, that story isn't as cool as you thought it would be when you were telling us on the ride here. Don't bore the hyungs with it.” B.I. laughed. Bobby replied with a pout.

The boys all laughed as they walked over to a picnic area occupied by some familiar faces.

 

“Hey! You finally made it!” Park Jae Hyung called out. He approached Seunghoon first and gave him a hug as he was most familiar with his fellow former K-POP STAR competitor. He proceeded to greet the rest of the YG trainees. “We just started grilling so they'll be ready in a bit.”

 

Taehyun plodded himself on a bench and placed his chin on his palm. He watched as Mino started to socialize with the boys of JYP. It was like last night had never even happened. It irritated him a little. It felt as if Mino was completely brushing off his feelings. The feelings he gathered all the courage he could muster to confess. He was interrupted from his bitter musings when he heard someone calling out to him.

“Hey! I was hoping that I'd be seeing you here.” a familiar voice exclaimed. Oh no... not him. I really don't need this right now. Taehyun didn't reply to Jackson and merely rubbed his temples. He could feel a slight headache coming on.

“Woah... what's with the cold shoulder? This is a change from the friendly kid I spoke to yesterday.” Jackson said a little disappointed.

Taehyun sighed. He shouldn't be punishing this guy, who is only trying to be nice, just because he's in a sour mood. “Sorry... I just have a lot on my mind right now.”

Jackson sat next to the fairer-skinned boy. “Hm... now that I think of it, you look exhausted. Did something happen to you last night? You didn't look like this when we parted ways yesterday.”

The capped boy thought over whether or not he could trust this guy enough to confide in him. “It's kind of a personal issue.” he looked at the other boy warily.

“Don't worry.” Taehyun was caught by surprise when Jackson placed a hand on top of his own. “Your secrets are safe with me.” he flashed another handsome smile.

Something deep down in Taehyun made him feel warm and fuzzy. It was a nice change of pace to have someone comforting him in this way.

 

Mino, while conversing with a group of guys—including Junhwe, Yun-Hyeong, and Jinhwan, still kept an eye on Taehyun. He felt anger slowly boil inside of him when he saw Jackson make his way over to the boy. His eyes widened slightly when Jackson suddenly placed his hand on top of Taehyun's. Mino subconsciously crushed the plastic cup he held in his hand, spilling cola on the ground. The boys around him were surprised and scrambled to find tissues. Junhwe and Jinhwan looked at each other and gave each other knowing looks when they realized where Mino's real attention was directed. They merely shook their heads as they kneeled down to clean up the mess.

“That couple really needs to get over their issues soon.” Yun-Hyeong whispered to the other two as he crouched next to them to hand over more tissues. The other two simply nodded in agreement.

 

Back over on Taehyun's side Jackson waited patiently for the boy to tell him what was ailing him. Taehyun scrunched up his face still considering whether or not he should come out with his problems, an expression which the Chinese boy found adorable.

Taehyun let out a deep sigh. “Fine. I'll tell you.” The other boy just grinned.

“I finally confessed.” Jackson's eyebrows rose.

“You confessed... what?”

The other boy hesitated before he continued. “I confessed my feelings for another guy on my team.”

Jackson couldn't deny that hearing his 5:5 part angel already had someone in his heart did upset him. But he knew that he had to do what he could to console him. “So judging from your mood the moment you arrived here it didn't go well...?”

“Wait—you don't think it's weird that I confessed to another guy?” Taehyun looked at him surprised. The other boy chuckled, “Please, I know you're not dumb. I was blatantly flirting with you since the moment I laid eyes on you yesterday.” Taehyun blushed at hearing this. “Besides, I could care less. Especially when half the trainees I practice with are gay.”

“Really??” Taehyun tilted his head.

“Yup. Take a look over there. I don't know if you haven't noticed but our Young-hyun seems to have taken a liking to your doe-eyed hyung.” Jackson pointed over his shoulder. “I can't blame him. For being the oldest out of you guys he really is cute.”

Surely enough, they looked over to see Young-hyun with his arm wrapped around Jinwoo's shoulder grinning like an idiot. Poor Jinwoo looked like a lost deer not really sure of what to do with the sudden skinship he was receiving from the Canadian boy. Taehyun let out a small laugh.

“Cute.” Jackson commented.

Taehyun furiously blushed a deep crimson.

“So anyways, what happened to your confession?”

Taehyun averted his gaze down towards the table. It pained him to recall the events of last night.

“To be honest... I don't really know. But it certainly felt like a rejection... he just stood up and left me alone. It really...” Taehyun fought back his tears. “..it really hurt... like a thousand daggers through my heart...”

“That Song Minho can be a cruel jerk then, huh?” Taehyun's eyes snapped upwards. How did he know who it was? I didn't even mention Mino's name.

Jackson spoke as if he read his mind, “I see the way you look at him. Honestly, I thought I saw him sneaking glances at you too so I thought for sure he'd reciprocate your feelings. I'm really shocked.” The other boy merely shrugged.

I thought so too. I really did. But I was so wrong.”

 

The boys' conversation was interrupted by B.I. and Bobby who walked over to let them know that the meat was ready and everyone was about to eat. They nodded and got up to join the rest of the gang.

All 20-something boys sat around a long picnic table. Plates of kimchi and lettuce made their way back and forth as the boys stuffed their faces. Many groans of food-consuming pleasure echoed across the table. It was a lighthearted and enjoyable afternoon.

Taehyun had to admit that it was thanks to Jackson that he was able to finally enjoy himself. He laughed along with the other guys. He was suddenly surprised when from the corner of his eye, something green popped up next to his face. The Chinese boy was holding up a lettuce-wrap for the other boy and waited for him to accept it.

The other boys noticed and hooted, “Oohhhhh!” “Yah! What is that? A lettuce-wrapped confession hah!” they all joked as Taehyun felt his cheeks warm up. Rather than being fed by Jackson directly he gratefully took the lettuce-wrap himself and ate it with his own hands.

 

Mino watched from the other side of the table. He shoved a piece of beef in his mouth and chewed it angrily. He felt bitter towards both Taehyun and Jackson. He desperately wished that he was feeding the fair boy instead. I can't keep feeling angry towards Taehyun. He has the right to fall in love with whoever he wants... Suddenly overcome with guilt, he frowned. Mino longingly looked at Taehyun as he watched Jackson lean over and whisper into his ear, making the boy's eyebrows shoot up.

Taehyun shivered as he felt the boy next to him whisper into his ear, “Looks like your man is jealous. Did you see his face when I gave you that lettuce wrap?”

The singer had to admit that he hadn't really paid much attention to Mino after he spoke with Jackson. He figured that in order to forget about the pain he felt last night it'd be best if he kept his distance. Besides, there's no way he'd be jealous. He rejected me after all.

 

The sky grew dark as evening drew closer.

 

It was great being able to hang out with you guys. I'm glad that Park JinYoung-sajangnim suggested this.” Young-hyun announced and everyone agreed. The boys exchanged phone numbers as they prepared to part ways.

Jackson slapped a hand onto Taehyun's shoulder. “Don't be afraid to text or give me a call if you need someone to talk to, okay?”

The other boy laughed, “No problem. Maybe we can meet up for coffee or something next week?”

“I'll take that as a promise.” The Chinese boy said as he winked.

 

With that, both groups of trainees split up and piled into their company vans.


___________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: If any of you are curious as to why I chose Jackson out of all the JYP trainee boys that appeared in episode 4 of WIN, this is why:


O_____O DAT FACE. Sorry, I love Team A with all of my heart and all but DAMN. JYP knows how to choose them...

Okie that's enough of my musings hehe. See you all in the next chapter! -UxT