Scorpions and Snakes

Mastermind [ Unedited ]

 

Hey guys! I’m back! :D It’s been a long time since I last updated but here’s a chapter for you!

 

When Seyi finally hung up, she looked furious, shocked, and hurt. She collapsed onto a couch and brought her hands up to her face.

“Whoa,” Junhyung commented. “Is the great Sung Seyi crying? Who the heck was she talking to?”

“I’m no psychology expert, but my best guess would be that ex-boyfriend Yoseob was telling us about earlier,” Hyunseung suggested. “Usually when these things happen, it involves some kind of lover.”

Junhyung chuckled. “You watch too many dramas.”

“Yah!”

“Hey, I’m not saying it’s a bad thing.”

Kikwang made some kind of weird gesture. “Shh!” he exclaimed. “I think someone just knocked on the door. She’s looking through the eye-piece.”

“What are you shushing us for? This thing doesn’t even have sound,” Dongwoon mumbled, receiving a glare from Hyunseung. “What? Am I wrong?”

All of a sudden, Junhyung’s phone started ringing. “Hello?” he answered. “Seyi-noona? Is there something wrong?” There was a pause and everyone watched him intensely. “Someone knocked but no one was there when you checked? Don’t worry – we’ll be right up.”

With that he disconnected the call and started suiting up.

“Come on, guys – we’re going,” he announced. “Chances are whoever knocked on her door could be the stalker and he-slash-she should still be in the building. Here’s the plan: Hyunseung and I will go up. You guys stay on the first floor and stop anyone suspicious.”

The other three nodded. They then jumped out of the vehicle and hurried inside the apartment complex. Junhyung and Hyunseung waited for the elevator and on the way up, they took out their guns.

“Don’t shoot unless you absolutely have to,” Junhyung ordered.

Hyunseung made a face. “I’m not a little kid. You think I would go around shooting random people?”

“I was just saying.”

Fortunately the elevator doors opened before Hyunseung had the chance to retort. They entered the hall and began silently searching for Seyi’s room. Hyunseung was the first to find it. He knocked and a short moment later, Seyi answered. Once him and his teammate were in the room, she slammed the door shut and collapsed onto a chair.

“I am sick of all this tension!” she suddenly exploded. “I am sick of not being able to sleep at night and worrying about people out to get me! When is this going to be all over? I want my life to be normal again!”

Junhyung and Hyunseung exchanged glances. They were both taken back at the star’s sudden outburst.

Hyunseung, being the more understand one, spoke up first, “Noona, we know it’s been hard for you—“

“What do you know?” Seyi snapped.

Hyunseung was on the verge of snapping back but he calmed himself after remembering what the singer had been through earlier that day.

Calm down, Jang Hyunseung. Just take it slow, be tactful, and everything will be fine.

He took in a deep breath before starting over. “We know it’s been hard for you but we’re doing our best. Don’t worry – this will all be over very soon. All we need for you to do is to calm down first and provide us with the information we need.”

“Like who you were talking to earlier,” Junhyung butted in.

Hyunseung sighed. So much for being tactful.

But luckily it looked like Seyi had calm down too. She exhaled and answered tiredly,” I was talking to my ex. He called me and we got into an argument.”

Hyunseung took out a notepad while Junhyung continued to question the 27-year-old woman.

“And who is this ex?” the older man asked.

“Jung Siwon – he’s an actor.”

Hyunseung wrote this down. “When did you two break up?”

“Last Tuesday.”

“What did you two argue about?”

Seyi shifted uncomfortably. “He kept asking me about the stalker. I have no idea how he knows, but it didn’t come from me.”

Hyunseung jotted down the details but before him or Junhyung could speak, there was a knock on the door. The two drew out their guns on instinct and Junhyung went over to look through the eye-piece. He then opened the door and looked down the hall.

“There’s no one here,” he informed. “But someone left us a little gift.”

Hyunseung and Seyi watched as the 25-year-old weapon specialist took off his jacket and picked up the long, rectangular brown box with it. He then shut the door and locked it before bringing the package over to the table. “We’re bringing this back for fingerprints, so don’t touch it with your bare hands,” he announced.

Hyunseung nodded and slipped on a pair of latex gloves he got from his belt.

Junhyung raised an eyebrow. “Do you always carry around latex gloves?”

 “…Maybe.”

Hyunseung then carefully tore off the tape off one side and open up the flap. Out slid a large glass tube and he almost dropped it after realizing what was inside.

“Whoever the stalker is, he must like animals,” Junhyung commented. “Look at how many he sent us already. First the rats and now a scorpion. What’s next – a snake?” He smirked when Hyunseung cringed. “Wait a minute. You’re scared of snakes, aren’t you?”

Hyunseung reddened before turning the tube to get a better view. “Shut up.”

Inside the glass tube was a small yellow scorpion, about 2 inches long, feasting on what looked like the remains of a cricket.

Junhyung’s face scrunched up. “Ew, that’s gross,” he complained. “I wish we had a normal stalker, not a stalker that likes showing us how a scorpion eats a cricket.”

Hyunseung rolled his eyes and slid the tube back into the box. “We’ll bringing this back to the station and ask someone from the lab to examine it.”

Junhyung scoffed. “Next thing you know we find out it’s one of the most poisonous scorpions in the world.”

Seyi folded her arms. “Are you two done yet? It’s been a long day and I want to sleep.”

Hyunseung just gave her a warm smile. “Don’t worry, noona,” he reassured. “I think that’s all for today. Make sure to sleep tight; I have a feeling a lot’s going to happen tomorrow.”

Hyunseung had no idea how right he was.

[ The Next Day ]

8:00 AM

The Studio Lobby

Yoseob stared at Dongwoon who had just explained to him what happened last night.

“To make it even worse, the lab called and said they didn’t find any prints on the box or the glass, so we have no idea who it came from,” the motorcyclist finished.

Yoseob nodded slowly. “And our deadline’s tomorrow,” he remembered.

Dongwoon nodded but just as he was about to speak, his phone rang. He gave Yoseob a small smile before answering Doojoon’s call. “’Morning hyungnim,” he greeted. There was a grunt on the other line.

“Jung Siwon’s in the same studio as Seyi. I’m interrogating him right now and I need you to confirm something . Go get Seyi’s phone; it should be in her dressing room.” With that, his team leader hung up.

Dongwoon blinked and put his phone away.

“Who was that?” Yoseob asked.

Dongwoon answered,” It was the boss. He wants me to go get Seyi-noona’s cellphone from her dressing room.” Then, waving his friend goodbye, he left the studio lobby. It didn’t take long for him to find the room but when he entered it, he wasn’t the only one there. Standing near Seyi’s dresser was a young woman about his age. She looked like she was snooping, but Dongwoon knew jumping to conclusions wasn’t smart.

“Can I help you?” he asked.

The woman jumped but quickly composed herself and smiled. She then gestured to the dress draped on the dresser chair. “I came to drop off unnie’s dress. May I know what you’re doing here?” she spoke.

The motorcyclist showed her his badge. “Investigating a case. If you don’t mind, can you please tell me your name and occupation?”

“Kim Yoona – I take care of the costumes and wardrobe.”

  Giving Yoona a smile, Dongwoon moved aside. “Thank you,” he said and Yoona smiled back before leaving.

Once she left, Dongwoon went over to the dresser. What’s with the names in this case? Seohyun? Yoona? Siwon? What is this – Super Generation? He snickered at his own joke before looking over the junk on the dresser. Now where’s that cellphone hyungnim was talking about?

[ With Doojoon ]

Location: Jung Siwon’s Dressing Room

“Mhm. Good,” Doojoon spoke into his cell before hanging up. He turned back to Jung Siwon, otherwise known as Seyi’s ex. “My colleague just confirmed the time your last calls to Seyi. It looks like you were telling the truth after all.”

“Why would I lie about when I called Seyi?” Siwon asked. “There’s nothing to hide. I’m telling you the truth: I don’t have anything to do with her stalker. I’m just worried about her safety. If something happens, can you please tell me?”

Doojoon got up from his seat. “We’ll see,” he replied. “You’re free to go now. Thank you for your time.”

On the way back to Seyi’s part of the building, the 26-year-old man was in deep thought. We can eliminate Siwon from the list, he determined. I’m certain he’s not involved in the case. That leaves Seyi’s personal assistant, Seohyun, but why do I have a feeling it’s not her either?

He was interrupted when his cellphone rang. “What?” he snapped into the receiver.

He could barely make out Kikwang’s voice on the other line due to the commotion in the background.

“What? I can’t hear you,” Doojoon said.

“There’s - - studio!”

What?”

“There’s a - - in – studio!”

“Kikwang, I can’t hear you with all that noise in the background. What’s in the studio?”

“A snake! Hyung, there’s a snake in the studio!”