The Accident

Without You

Jonh-hyun's Point of View    

 

            One of her friends that remained in the back comes over. She sees how shocked I am. Continuing to search her eyes I can tell she is trying to piece everything together. The girl I love has forgotten me, what could be worse than this? But she knows she knows me, she just doesn’t know how. Still in my arms, she places her thumb on her lower lip. Ki-kwang and Hyun-seung come out of hiding and stand behind me, ready to catch me in case I fall. I let go of my hold on her and take a step back as she takes a step forward.

            “Why do you feel so familiar if we’ve only just met?” She asked. This question right here sent a painful sting straight through my heart. I blink back tears. Is she for real? Ki-kwang runs up to her and embraces her.

            “Did I know you too?” She asks purely confused. He took a step back and looked upset. Her eyes became wet and soon so would her cheeks. I turn my back on the watery-eyed confused faced girl.

            “Go comfort her.” Hyun-seung said, pushing me towards the girl who was slowly starting to cry.

            “Haven’t you seen the dramas? The guy who comforts the girl never gets her.” I say as I take a step forward and drop to my knees. Tears rushing to the surface I let out a gut-wrenching scream. I can sense that everyone around me has stopped whatever they were doing to focus on me for a minute. Falling forward, my head hits the pavement with a very light thud. A small wail escapes my lips and I clutch at my heart. I pound my hand on the ground; desperate for the love I sought these past couple of years. I hear her crying, then it suddenly stops.

            Everyone was focused on us for the time being. I feel someone hug me from behind and wishing like hell it was her I place a hand on the hands around my waist.

            “How do I know you?” She whispered in my ear so only I could hear. I breathe out heavily and grab her hands. I stand up and she refuses to let me go. I turn around and hold her in my arms.

            “We should talk,” said her friend. I wasn’t letting go anytime soon. Even though she didn’t know who I was to her before, she was holding me. I wasn’t about to let her let me go. I follow after her friend and she comes with me, even more unwilling to let go of whatever feeling occupied her heart.

            “Shin-hye, be nice,” I hear her say.

            “You should go wait outside.” Shin-hye said walking into a coffee shop.

            “I’m not letting her go,” I say dead serious.

            “Neither am I. I don’t know why, but even though I just met him I feel an abundance of love from him.” I shoot her a slight smile. She already knew she was loved.

            “You really shouldn’t hear what I have to say.” She said to the girl in my arms. “No one has told you this yet,” She says. Looking from me to her, Shin-hye realized that we weren’t letting each other go anytime soon.

            “Fine. But if either one of you falls apart I’m not putting you back together.”

            “Okay,” We both say holding on tighter and preparing for the ride ahead of us.

            “It will officially be two-years tomorrow,” She started as we sat down. Shin-hye sat across from us and the love of my life sat in my lap and rested her head against my shoulder. God, I have missed this. This girl had no idea what she was doing to me with these simple actions.

            “I was working the late shift at a Busan emergency room. We got a call that they were about twenty miles out coming with a patient in critical condition. We prepared as much as we could for the unknown, but no one could predict what happened next.” She paused trying to compose herself for what would undeniably be a hard story to tell. Opening and closing a few times she continues.

            “The patient was bleeding heavily. She was catatonic. We thought there was no way she could have survived. Her heart stopped several times during the operation and the doctor told us to prepare for the worst. After an almost failure we stopped the bleeding and closed her up and sent her to the ICU.” A tear hit my cheek. She went through a rough time and there was no one there to hold her hand.

            “And on top of all that she lost a small patch of skin on her right side. Waiting for the results was hell.” She said turning her head. I saw a tear hit her cheek. “I felt a strange connection with this person. I had never met her before and she was American so why did I feel so close to her? The patient was in a coma for two weeks. And if you had seen the condition of the car you would understand how lucky she was. We didn’t have a name for her so we just started calling her Lady Luck. A month later she began breathing on her own. Two weeks after that she opened her eyes. By the end of that week she was talking. We got her physical and mental therapy, but her memories never came back. She had lost everything she knew about herself. Luckily she recalled all of the Korean she had learned.” The girl I held in my arms was actively crying. I brushed away the tears with my thumb.

            “We understood it to be nearly impossible to recover from something like that, yet here she is.” She said looking at the puffy face on my shoulder.

            So that’s what happened. She didn’t leave me she just didn’t remember who I was. I wanted so badly to kiss her but I was afraid I would scare her again. She moved her head to my chest and I leaned down and placed my lips on her forehead.

            “Shin-hye, he feels so warm. I think I knew him really well.” She says. I wanted to tell her I had asked her to marry me before the fight. I wanted to tell her how sorry I was. But above all that I wanted to get our two years back. She smiles up at me.

            “I want to remain in your arms, but I need to be getting back to my hotel. I’m really sleepy.” She said as I kiss her forehead again. She must be very comfortable with me for her to let me kiss her, what with me being a stranger and all. I put my arm around her shoulder and she puts am arm around my waist and I walk her and her group to their hotel. We wait outside for everyone else to go upstairs. I pull out my cell phone and at the same time I go to give it to her she goes to hand me hers. I enter my number in her phone.

            “Did you put it in?” I ask, as I hand hers back to her. was slightly open and her eyes were sad.

            “This was us?” She asked, showing me my wallpaper. I had taken that picture after one of my concerts. I hadn’t seen her in months and she surprised me at one of my shows. I was so happy that I kissed her lips and snapped the picture at the same time. What I couldn’t bring myself to tell her was that it was only two months after that picture was taken that she left me and I was alone for two years. And let me just say it was a severe punishment.

            “Yes, this was us.” I confirm. 

            “We look happy,” She commented, smiling. I took a few steps back from her and explained the picture.

            “We hadn’t seen each other in five months. You surprised me at my concert and we were so happy to see each other we couldn’t stop smiling and laughing and playing around with each other. I chased you around the parking lot and when you finally let me catch you, you went limp in my arms. I remember I had to carry you back to the bus and when we got there you wouldn't let me go. We couldn’t stop expressing ourselves at that time.” She smiles and enters her number in my phone.

            “Can I have a picture?” She asked. I slowly walk up to her and hold her hand in mine. I take a deep breath and exhale before I look into her eyes. They were even more beautiful than I remember.  Slowly dipping my face to her check she tricks me and moves her head. I end up kissing her on the lips and I can feel her smile against my lips. She holds up her phone and I hear the shutter click. I don’t want to leave her just yet. I pull away and she hugs me. She steps back and gets on her tiptoes to kiss my cheek.

            “I’ll text you later,” she said. I let a smile slip. As soon as I step out from under the awning it begins pouring rain. I enter the dorm and my expression must have been one of shock because Yo-seob looks worried.

            “What happened to you?” he asked as I walked in the door. He came over to me and helped me sit in the chair by the balcony. My eyes wide I felt a pain I never knew existed. Clothes still wet and hair frozen I just sit there. “Jun-hyung? What happened?”

            “Ki-kwang found her.” I say gazing up at the stars.

            “Found who?” He asked. His eyes grew wide. “Her, her?” He asked. I just nod. “Where the hell has she been?” He asks as I lean forward and place my elbows on my knees. I begin sobbing when I receive a text message from the very girl who made me this way.

            She sent a picture of herself with the caption “good-night”. I cover my face with my hands and lean back as Yo-seob takes the phone out of my hand to examine what was causing me to be this way.

            “She has been gone for two years and she wants to just pick up where you two left off?” He asked.

            “She doesn’t remember anything,” I say quickly so he can stop being mean and talking bad about her.

            “What do you mean?” It took the greater portion of an hour to explain everything to him. He looked sorry for bad mouthing her.

            “What are you going to do?” He asked.

            “No idea,” I say standing and heading to my room. I change out of my wet clothes and lay in bed. I look at the picture she sent me. Beautiful as ever. I pull the covers up to my chin and pray that tomorrow comes quickly.

 

~ The Next Day ~

 

            Trying to block the sound of arguing coming from the living room I place my pillow over my face. I quickly stand and take a short shower. Dressing in all clean clothes I walk through the bickering and run the twelve blocks to her hotel. I send her a text and she is down in a matter of minutes. A huge smile plastered on her face she doesn’t hesitate to hug me.

            “Did you sleep well?” she asks.

            “Yes,” I lie. “I want to take you somewhere later.” She looks worried.

            “What happened between us? Obviously I left, but why?” She asked as I look down.

            “That’s what I want to talk to you about when we see each other later.” I say. She hugs me and my shirt feels wet. “Why are you crying?” I ask, concern written on my features. Patting her back I hear her answer.

            “Did you send me away?” She asks. My heart breaks as I look into her eyes. How in gods name could she think like that? Why would anyone ever want to send her away?

            “Oh, god, no! I would never. What made you think that?” I ask.

            “Can’t you just tell me now? I feel nervous.” She says looking up at me with swollen eyes.

            “You don’t need to be.” I say as I hold her closer. I want to keep her here always. “When do you go back?”

            “In two weeks.” She says holding me closer. “Why do I want to hold you so badly?”

            “Probably for the same reason I want to hold you.” I say, trying to keep myself from crying.

            “What reason is that?” She asked, looking up at my face. Looking down at her sleepy face I give her my answer.

            “I will tell you that at a later time.”

            “You promise?” She asked. That was a dangerous question. It was more dangerous than anything in the world. It was the reason we were in this situation.

            “I promise.” I say, leaving.

              As I walk away and leave her there I get a sense of sadness from the girl I left behind. I turn back to look at her and she has fallen to the ground.