033

Yuna Inspired: Our Virtual Family [Luhan Version]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Hana steps out of the car, “Thanks for the ride.”

“Anytime,” Luhan says as he follows her out. “You didn’t miss any appointments, right?”

The six friends haven’t hanged out together as a group in so long that they had an ecstatic time talking, joking, and even reminiscing—without any problem or discomfort—and stayed at the place longer than usual. The one to remind them of their delayed overtime was Gayoon. Gayoon. Xiumin, and Luna are working together under Luna’s father’s fashion business. Luna is learning the ropes of becoming the next heir to her father’s business while Xiumin and Gayoon have become the business’ new models and spokespersons. Because they’re working at the same place and are friends together, Luna has the upper hand of allowing their schedules to fall together, that way, the friends could all meet up whenever. As for Lay, he is a freelance web designer and web programmer and has made a name for himself for his creative logos and artistic ideas. He had made Luna’s and Luhan’s businesses’ websites.

She depressingly looks down, “I missed two, but it’s okay.”

“You did?” He walks around to get to her, “I’m sorry—I’ll go apologize for you.” He begins to walk away, heading to the door.

She grabs him by the hand and halts him. With a smirk, she says, “Pabo, I’m kidding. If I were late, I’d be frantic, but I’m not.” She purses her lips, “You don’t need to apologize.” With a quieter voice, she adds, “But, thank you. For today.”

As she lets go of him to head inside, he firmly embraces her. “Wait. I want to hold you just a bit longer.”

She stands there, not even hugging him back because she doesn’t know how to react. No, more like she can’t respond.

If she hugs him, what will he think? What will become of her?

When he had hugged her for the first time in all of these years at Taeyang’s birthday party, she had a nightmare of them and it made her longed for his touch, his voice, his existence. And if she were to hug him, she knows she’d want more. And she shouldn’t.

She can’t. She mustn’t.

The door behind them opens and one of Hana’s co-workers steps out to shout, “JUST KISS ALREADY!”

This makes Hana pull herself away from him, blushing. She runs into the building, not giving Luhan a chance to stop her. She doesn’t even look back. She’s too red to do so.

“Sorry. We wanted to tease you guys.”

Luhan is amused at her co-worker's support. "Please take care of her."

"Will do."

*

When Luhan gets home, he sees a white Volvo parked outside his house. Mom’s here?

When Hana left him, he continued to stay in the old house in hopes that his friend would come back to him one day. But every day worsen him. It slowly ate him alive and that was when his mother started dropping by every other day to check up on him, finally becoming the mother she had stopped being after his birth to chase after her dream of becoming a blogging traveler. She asked him to sell the house and come back to live with the family, even if he didn’t want to live with and see his father because of the car accident. Although he was persistent on waiting for Hana’s return, his friends insisted and said that they had lost a friend already and they don’t want to lose another one.

He came to his senses and finally agreed to move out of the house and moved back in with his parents, although he doesn’t make any effort to converse or interact with his father anymore. Two years after working under Yunho and managing to save enough money to move out, he also found a job as a paid intern at a business company while earning his degree in Business. He modestly worked his way up the success ladder and eventually opened his own business, targeting the joys and happiness of children.

And in all of these years, his mother had been behind him, giving him emotional and mental support. He had always wanted this kind of relationship with his mother, but now that he has it, he still feels weird because he didn’t think his mother would ever give up her dream for him, and when he thinks of that, a part of him rides in guilt because it’s for him. He didn’t want his mother to not go after her dream. He wanted her to be there for him when he needs her. And he knows that although balancing two or more kinds of roles is hard, it is possible. Besides, a big boy doesn’t ask for much anymore.

He takes his keys out, ready to unlock his house door when it opens from the inside, and instead of seeing his mother, he sees Eunji.

“What are you doing here?” he asks, slightly raising a brow.

“You ate somewhere else, so I decided to drop by your place instead.”

Luhan walks in, “Is something wrong with the construction process?”

“No, I wanted to eat lunch with you.”

“Where’s my mom?” He usually changes the subject whenever he senses the conversation is leading into a subject he doesn’t want to indulge in. “I see her car but not yours.”

“She dropped by your workplace and we carpooled here.”

“Luhan?” His mom says from upstairs. “Are you home?”

“Yes.” Luhan says, looking up. “Do you need something?”

His mother walks down the stairs and when she sees him, she leaps into his chest and gives him a squeeze. “I miss you so much!”

“Mom, we saw each other two days ago, remember?”

“What’s wrong with a mother missing her son, huh?” She playfully pats on his chest and pouts, “Don’t you know that a mother always misses her child when he’s not in sight?” She takes her son’s hand and drags him into the kitchen, “I bought some fruits for you because I see you keep many of them around.” She unties the white plastic bags and shows her son the packed oranges, apples, and strawberries. “I’m very glad you eat healthily.” She sighs, “When you were a kid, you never went near any fruits or vegetables and I could never get you to—” When she turns back around, her son is staring happily at the fruits she bought. “What are you grinning for?”

Luhan snaps out of zoning and answers, “Now I can show her that I have been taking good care of myself.”

“Huh?” The ladies respond.

He rips the bags of apples, takes one out, brings it over to the sink, washes it and then bites into it. “Nothing.” He continues grinning, “It’s just, it’s thanks to someone I got these good habits.”

“Who?” Eunji questions, looking at Mrs. Lu. She had thought it would be his own mother, but from how Luhan said it, his mother is out of the picture.

On the other hand, Mrs. Lu’s expression gradually darkens.

Luhan continues to not notice the ladies’ expressions and curiosities and only focuses on his apple. While his mother was showing him what she had bought over, the sights of those healthy fruits made him remembered way back when he had lived with Taeyang and Hana and she had always reprimanded him to eat fruits and vegetables. They even had a promise to eat fruits together, that way she can be sure that he had had his share of a healthy intake for the day. Although eating fruits and vegetables was supposedly a chore for them, it progressively became a family quality time, where, instead of a bowl of potato chips and soda out on the couch while watching T.V., they’d be munching on fiber.

He turns on the T.V., having forgotten that he still has visitors. His mind is completely stuck on the past. I wonder if Taeyang likes to eat fruits and vegetables. When he takes another bite, he recalls something. Mr. Joongki. Hana says she’ll pick the kids up at eight. Doesn’t that mean Taeyang will be at someone else’s house until then?

He gets up and heads back into the kitchen. He is surprised to see his mother and Eunji and says, “I forgot you guys were here all along.”

“How can you forget, Luhan?” Eunji says, disappointed.

Luhan throws away his half-eaten apple into the trash and washes his hands. “Sorry Mom, Eunji. I have to go somewhere.”

“Luhan,” his mom stops him. “A-are you okay?”

“Yeah, I am. I-I just forgot something, that’s all.” He paces to the door, “I’m leaving now!”

Eunji sighs. “What’s wrong with him?”

“Don’t worry,” Mrs. Lu says, finally breaking a smile. “He has his rays of sun.”

*

KNOCK, KNOCK.

Luhan bats his eyes to the sounds of knocking at his window. Outside is dark with lights from various buildings and standing out by his window is Hana with a not-so-happy look. He quickly sits up and fixes his seat as he unlocks the door and opens it. “Hana, you’re finished?”

“Pabo, why are you loitering here?”

“I’m not loitering, I’m waiting for you to finish work so I can drive you home.” He steps out and checks the area. He notices that his car and an ash gray SUV are the only vehicles parked on the lot, and inside the ash gray SUV is a lady who lightly inclined her head to greet him. “You're carpooling with her?”

“We close the center on Wednesdays so we're the last to leave.”

“That’s dangerous, don’t you know?”

“The area here is very safe, mind you.” She sees one of his buttons has become undone, so she casually buttons it for him. “Don’t go sleeping at random places and especially, don’t sleep through the night if—”

He gives her a peck on the lips, shutting her up. He pulls away, satisfied. “Go on, continue.”

She angrily takes a step back. “Don’t do that.” She steals a glance at her co-worker who is busily looking at something on her phone to make sure that she didn't see it.

“What? I wanted to kiss you, that’s all, cause for a moment, you were acting like a rambling wife scorning her husband. It’s just like back then.”

She can’t find the energy to laugh but itches to do so. She gently bites the inner sides of her bottom lip to stop herself. Clearing , she glances back and forth from his car to him. “Drive on home. I'm leaving with her.”

He grabs her hand and holds it. “Let me take you home, okay?”

“No, go by yourself.”

“Why can’t I take you? I know the way.”

“Because I have to pick Taeyang up.”

Exactly. “At this Mr. Joongki’s place, right?”

“How did—” she breathes out when she remembers that he was there to hear the call between her and Joongki, “—you were there.” She raises her hand and glances at the time on her watch. 7:49 p.m. “She can take me."

"I won't leave here then." He scowls at her and then rests his upper body on the door of his car. "Not until you go with me."

"Suit yourself." She walks away.

She's going to leave me? He tries his best to not look affected by her cold words. At the corner of his eyes he sees her knock on the window of the SUV, say something to the lady in the car and then gets her handbag. Huh?

Hana walks over, pouting. "Fine, you can take me."

“I can take you?” He excitedly asks, showing his true reason as to why he was really waiting for her. “I can’t wait to see the Joongki family.”

The SUV car drives pass by them and the friend wave goodbye to her.

Hana chuckles, “Actually, it is a family of two. Mr. Joongki and his daughter.”

“Daughter, but no wife?”

“He’s divorced.” She taps on her wristwatch, “Okay, I guess you can take me this once to pick Taeyang up.” She walks around the car to the passenger’s seat while Luhan stands in shock.

I do NOT trust this man! What kind of divorced man would watch a stranger’s kid?

He irritably enters his car while pouting. “Where’s the place?”

Why is he angry when he’s the one who wanted to drive me? “I forgot the address, but I’ll direct you.”

He better have a girlfriend or be involved with someone else!

*

“That house in blue, with the aligned rose bushes.” Hana points to a house several houses away.

He steadily swirls into the driveway and parks his car. The both of them walk out and she leads the way. As they close in on the door, they can hear laughter from inside, very happy and harmonic giggles.

“He’s always playing with the kids.” She pleasingly comments as she rings the doorbell.

Well, I can do that, too. Luhan mentally scoffs.

The door opens within five seconds by Taeyang and a girl slightly taller than him. Maybe by an inch or so. Her shoulder-length hair frames her cutely round face and she looks like a chibi from an anime. Her eyes swiftly gazes to Luhan, the man she’s never seen before. Scared, she backs away and bumps into her father’s leg.

Taeyang, however, opens the door with joy and hugs Hana, who has crouched down to return the hug. “Mom!”

“Hello, Mr. Joongki,” Hana says, looking up. “Sorry that I’m late.” She pulls apart from Taeyang and stands up. “Taeyang, go get your stuff. We have to leave soon.”

“We can’t stay for a while?”

“Uh,” Hana hesitates to answer, “Y-your uncle has to go somewhere.”

Uncle? She’s referring to me, isn’t she? This time, Luhan pouts, disappointed.

“Are you Hana's brother?” Joongki asks with a smile and a hand out, ready for a shake. His hair is neatly brushed but not styled in anyway. His glowing tan and rough skin contrast with Luhan's and Luhan begins to feel a bit inferior towards the divorced man. "I'm Joongki." He pats his daughter's head, who is still hiding behind his leg, "This is my daughter, Mana."

Mana peeks up and half-smiles to Luhan, which he responds back with light nod.

“Actually,” Luhan starts, “I’m Hana’s boy—”

Hana kneads him in the waist and finishes up for him. “—Mr. Joongki, I’m sorry that we can’t stay for dinner. We’re in a rush—”

“—to my place,” Luhan purposely includes for revenge.

“—because he has work tomorrow.” Hana doesn’t care as long as her friend doesn’t spread the one thing she doesn’t want. “Hopefully, I can come by next time.”

“Sure do.” Joongki says. He points behind him, “I’ll go get Taeyang’s stuff while he puts on his shoes.”

“Thanks.” Hana looks down at her son and watches him do the bunny ears with his shoe laces. When he looks up and his eyes ask for help, she giggles and crouches down to remind him how to do the ears and how to loop the ears around one another.

“Mom, how come you’re with Uncle?”

“Uncle came to my workplace."

Luhan crouches down beside Hana and adds, “I’m taking you home from now on.”

Hana immediately clarifies, “Not from now on. Just today.”

“Here you go.” Joongki comes back with Taeyang’s backpack and a bag of mixed chips. “I got snacks for the kids and this is your share.”

Hana stands up and sweetly smiles to him, “Thank you, but you didn’t have to.”

“It’s my pleasure.”

In Luhan’s mind, he mentally mocked Joongki’s comment. What a showoff.

“Taeyang,” Hana says. “Say your goodbyes and thank you’s.”

Taeyang turns around and gives a deep bow, “Thank you, Uncle Joongki.” He raises his head and waves goodbye to him and Mana, “Bye bye!”

“Thanks again, for today,” Hana repeats as she leads Taeyang back to Luhan’s car.

“Anytime, Ms. Hana.” He says.

Luhan disarms his car and quietly and sarcastically utters, “Anytime, Ms. Hana.” He blows an angry raspberry, “Tch, you’re just a babysitter.”

“Hm?” Hana asks as she hops onto the passenger seat. She quickly gives a glance at her son who has been belted. She then turns to stare at her friend, “Did you say something?”

“Nothing.” He pouts. I can’t talk to her about this with Taeyang here.

*

Right before Hana enters her house, she quickly turns around to face the following Luhan. “Shouldn’t you head home?”

He gives her a look. “I give you a ride home and you won’t let me in?”

She rolls her eyes, “You were the one begging for it.” He’s about to take another step forward, but she places a hand out to stop him. “Luhan…”

“What?”

“I-I’m not comfortable…with you here.” She finally says. She looks away, too scared to see his reaction.

But he doesn’t give any. “I know.”

“Then go home.” She’s still not looking at him.

“Can’t I rest inside?”

“Mom!” Taeyang rushes out from the hallway. “Can I paint my room?”

“Do your homework first,” Hana says, glancing back.

“I only have to read.”

Hana enters her house, “Let’s read first and then we can paint.” She hears the door locks behind her and remembers that she has a “visitor.” “Y-you’re not going to leave?”

“Are you painting a room?” He brushes her question away, wanting to avoid it. “Whose?”

Taeyang hops up and down, “My room! My room!”

“Oh, can I see?”

“Yeah!” Taeyang’s eyes lit up and he sprints to his room.

Luhan turns to Hana and whispers, “I can’t leave now, can’t I?” He chuckles at his victory and takes Hana’s hand and drags her with him. “Let’s go see.”

She pouts to hide her laughter.

“Uncle,” Taeyang says. He stands in the center of a slightly crowded room, with a huge white office desk by the door, a glazed oat wood five-drawer dresser at the back, right next to a black full sized bed, with two blankets—both that are white. “We’re painting it all blue! And, and Mom’s going to add a surprise!”

“A surprise?”

The little boy nods.

“What is it?”

Taeyang puckers, “She won’t tell me.” He skips over to Luhan and nudges on his leg.

Luhan bends down, knowing that the little boy wants to say something to him. He lends in an ear.

“Can you ask her what it is?” Taeyang whispers. He’s asked his “Daddy Kris” before, but “Daddy Kris” apologetically said that he had promised to keep his mouth shut. His only chance and choice is to receive the help of his new “Uncle.” “I won’t tell her you told me.”

Thanks to Taeyang’s failed attempt to whisper, she overhears the conversation and smiles at the scene of bonding between her friend and her son. Seeing how happily—and comfortable—the two boys are at one another, she b

Please log in to read the full chapter