D.O

A Date With Him

“Is Kyungsoo in there?” I ask Chanyeol who is looking all panicky.

 

“Yeah...he’s here...” He takes a look at his phone again and back at me.

 

“Can I talk to him then?”

He nods, “Yeah, go ahead.” He gestures for me to go inside.

I want to ask him what Kyungsoo is doing but he already storms off to the elevator. Odd. Chanyeol is usually casual, I wonder what might tick him off.

I take a peek inside their suite and find it empty. “Hello!”

A few seconds later, Kyungsoo comes out of a room and walks to the kitchen. He opens the fridge and takes out a bottle of milk.

“Kyungsoo.”

He turns and stops midway from drinking the milk, “What are you doing here?”

I let out a smile, “I’m visiting you... You were busy these past few days so I decided to take a visit.”

Kyungsoo pulls out the earphones in his ears which I didn’t notice. “Oh. Sorry about that it’s just we’re busy.”

I understand. Him being an idol and all, especially when their comeback is nearing.

 

He laughs nervously, “Don’t you want to come inside?”

 

I step inside their suite. It’s very spacious and has a modern and cool feeling to it.

He walks pass me and closes the door behind me.

 

“Take a seat.” He gestures for the couch next to me, “Make yourself comfortable.”

 

“I’ll just go get something,” He says, as he enters his room ( I presume) and come back outside with a notebook and pen.

I put my bag down and take my seat.

He puts the notebook on the coffee table, “You want something to drink?”

 

“Do you have tea?”

 

He checks the cabinets in the kitchen and shows me a box of tea. “We have instant milk tea...”
 

“It’s fine with me.”

Kyungsoo takes out a mug from the cupboard, “Do you prefer your tea hot or cold?”

 

“Hot please.”

 

I look away from him and notice the notebook. I open it and flip the pages. I see scratched out words, doodles and some torn pages. Other pages have notes and songs but are unfinished.

This is what he’s been busy with...doing music.

He sits next to me and hands me the hot mug.

I thank Kyungsoo and hand him back the notebook, “Lots of emotions in here.”

 

He chuckles, “Yeah. It’s where I write the songs Chanyeol and I do...but mostly it’s me who write.”
 

I laugh at his joke. There are times where his jokes are funny and it’s rare to hear because he’s usually serious.

 

“Can you sing for me then?” I take a sip. For an instant milk tea, this is delicious and place the mug back on the table.

 

“Okay.” He clears his throat and starts to sing,

/Na anin dareun namjayeotdamyeon huigeuk anui han gujeorieotdeoramyeon 
Neoui geu saranggwa bakkun sangcheo modu taewobeoryeo
 /

 I hit Kyungsoo with a pillow, “Ya. That’s your line in Baby Don’t Cry...”

 

Kyungsoo nods, “You told me to sing.”

 

I shake my head, “NO. What I mean is sing me a song that’s from your notebook.”

 

He chuckles and straightens his lips, “No.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“Because I don’t want you hearing any of it” He leans on the couch, “And besides, most of the songs aren’t done yet.”

I don’t think so.

 

“Come on please. There’s at least one song that’s finished, right?”

 

“Even if there is one, I won’t.” He reasons himself out of the topic, “And even if I want to the song is not polished yet.”

Ha. I knew it there’s a song!

“You just said there is a song!” I laugh. “Come on, Kyungsoo! Please!”

 

He shakes his head and covers his ears with his hands and begins to sing do-re-mi.

He thinks that I’ll give up that easily? I’m a very aggressive person. I’ll get what I want.

I start hitting him with the throw pillow numerous times and keep on blabbering about singing the song.

“Alright, alright!” he raises his hands in defeat.

 

I smile. “I knew you’d break.”

 

He rolls his eyes at me, “Persuasive person.”

 

“What?”

 

He chuckles, “Nothing.”

Kyungsoo starts flipping the pages of the notebook and stops at one page. I take a look at it and notice that it only has one verse and the chorus.

 

“Finish this one,” I say blankly. “I’ll leave so you could focus on it.”

 

“What? No.”

 

I smirk. “Kyungsoo. We both know that I’m a distraction to you. You won’t able to finish that song.”

 

“You’re never a distraction.”

Kyungsoo pulls out a pen from his pocket. “Now just stay here and I’ll complete this in no time.”

 

We stay in that couch for hours.

Kyungsoo writes in his notebook while I watch him write.

I watch him write, scribble, draw on his notebook and sigh in frustration.

Gosh. I never knew how difficult it is to write a song. If I was in his position, I’d probably have given up at the first few minutes.

We sometimes talk.

But since I want him to finish it, I tell him to be more focused on the song.

While Kyungsoo does his thing, I on the other hand am trying to keep my boredom away. I play some games apps but I lose most of the time, so I gave up on that. I read a book but the book has so small letters that makes my head go dizzy, I gave up on that. I try texting some of my friends but none ever replies.

I’m bored.

Just then, my stomach rumbles.

HOW EMBARRASSING!

Curse you stomach.

“I guess someone’s hungry.” Kyungsoo mutters.

I cover my face with my palms. This is so embarrassing. I can’t face him right now, not like this. I think I’ll die due to my humiliating stomach.

I feel Kyungsoo move closer. “Hey.”
 

“I’m not hungry.” I mutter.

 

Kyungsoo tries to take my hands away from my face, “Come on. It’s nothing to be embarrassed about... Come on, I’ll cook for you.”

 

He manages to pull my hands away this time. I look at him and see him smiling. “What do you want to eat?”

 

I shrug. “I don’t know...surprise me.”

He nods and walks to the kitchen. Kyungsoo glances back at me and gestures for me to follow him.

I did.

 

“What are you cooking for me?”

Kyungsoo takes out raw chicken and some spices and flour. “Yangnyeom Tongdak.”

 

“Oooohhhh,” I clap.

Kyungsoo wears a red apron and asks for my help by knotting the strings in the back.

I comply and give it a simple ribbon knot.

 

“Thanks.” He pats my head.

 

“Just make sure that your Yangnyeom Tongdak is delicious.”

 

Watching Kyungsoo cook feels like watching a cooking show. He moves quickly and precisely. I wanted to help but unfortunately I’m not a great cook.

The only thing I could do for him is bake which I’m best at.

He tastes the sauce and grins, “Oh.”

 

“Are you done yet?” I say, lifelessly.

 

He nods and pours the sauce on the chickens.

“Ta-da!”

Kyungsoo presents me the Yangnyeom Tongdak like the dishes you would see in a five star restaurant or maybe I’m just overreacting.

“Looks good,” I compliment him. “But the million dollar question is: Does it taste good?”

Kyungsoo hands me a fork but I decline and take a chicken with my bare hand. I take a look at him and take my first bite.

Oh.

“So? How is it?” Kyungsoo’s eyes on me.

 

“Yum.” I give him a thumb up with my clean hand.

He laughs and raises his fist on the air, “I know I cook good food.”


I take another bite.

Kyungsoo takes a chicken too and together we finish it. After eating, I told Kyungsoo that I’ll wash the dishes since he cooked for me.

 

Kyungsoo walks back to the couch and continues writing the lyrics. I finish washing the dishes and lie down on his lap.

My purpose of coming here was to spend time with Kyungsoo.

I’m glad that I get to spend this day with him.

 

He continues to write in his notebook, I wanted to ask him if it’s nearly finished but my eyes are getting drowsy and I unconsciously drift to sleep.

 

I wake up and find myself alone again in the suite.

I can’t believe I fell asleep.

I look at my watch. What?! Two hours have passed??

Where’s Kyungsoo anyways?

The door opens and I see Kyungsoo holding out a bouquet. It’s beautiful.

Different colours of carnations.

 He sees me and hides the bouquet behind him.

“Hiding that won’t work anymore.” I giggle.

 

“You weren’t supposed to be awake yet.” He rubs the back of his head.

 

I get up from the couch and walk up to him. Kyungsoo reveals the bouquet and chuckles,


“You were supposed to see the bouquet on the coffee table with a letter to come up at the rooftop.”

 

Kyungsoo pulls out a note from his pocket. “I finished it.”

 

He finished the song. I can’t believe it.

I unfold the paper and I hear him sing the song.

It has great melody. A sad but cheerful song.

He ends by giving me the bouquet.

I thank him, not only for the bouquet but for everything.