Ch. 2: A Host or A Human

The Host

            “He’s is a Host. His eyes say it all.” Said Junho in shock.

            “He was, but is now a human.” Wooyoung explained. “Well, technically not a human but he has a heart of a human.” He briefly tries to explain, but only to make things worst.

            “Host has no heart.” Said Yuri.

            Nichkhun unpleasantly his head to the side for a moment then walks to Kahi after he notice bloods dripping from her right arm. Kahi frightenly step back to every of his forward step.

            “Stop!” Jun.K loudly ordered.

            Nichkhun stop.

            “He does.” Said Taecyeon. “He left the Host and join us.

            “Ha ha, very funny.” Said Jinwoon. “Yeah right, a Host living its home to come with the human, that’s the first.”

            “You seriously have a problem.” Wooyoung unfriendly looks at Jinwoon.

            “My problem is the Host taking over this damn world and he belongs to one of them. So you’re trying to tell me that he’s left his fantasy home to come join us poor humans?” Jinwoon chuckles, taking their words like a joke. “Yeah right.”

            “Believe it or not, it’s your choice.” Nichkhun finally speak. “I’m no longer a Host.” He gave Kahi one last look before he walks to the light of the moon.

            “Wait. Who said you can leave?” Said Chansung. Nichkhun stop and grips his fists tightly as he look at him from the corner of his eyes.

            “And who said we can’t.” Taecyeon unfriendly said. “We just save your .” He irately looks at Chansung

            Yoona walks up to him, stopping about 10 feet away from him. “Thank you.” She kindly said as she looks at him.

            Her pure round eyes soften his anger at his chest as I look into her innocent eyes like hypnotize by a magician.

            “Your welcome.” Wooyoung delightedly said. Nana irritatedly looks at him.

            “How did you know we’re here?” Chansung questioned them.

            “We didn’t. The shooting or gun firing blew it all.” Said Taecyeon stonily.

            “We were about a mile away from here. We didn’t know you guys would be in here.” Wooyoung gladly said. 

            “What group are you all from?” Jun.K asked.

            “It had been discovered and obliterated.” Said Taecyeon in a livid tone. “Anything else you want to asked.”

            “Where are you three heading to now?” Chansung asked.

            “Don’t know.” Wooyoung shrugged his shoulders. “Anywhere.”

            Nana glances from him to Kahi and notice blood dripping down to the ground. “Oh my god, Kahi!” Nana concernly runs to her. “You’re bleeding.”

            “It’s fine, not a big deal.” Said Kahi.

            “No it’s not. Don’t do anything, I’ll go get the kit.” Said Nana rushing to the vehicle.

            “No need.” Said Wooyoung. Nana stop, turn around, and look at him confusedly.

            Nichkhun resume his paces to Kahi; he takes out a silver block-like stick about 5 inches long from one of his pockets. He grabs her wrist, holds her right arm up, and places the stick over the cut. A bright blue light run over Kahi cut. Jinwoon move his index finger a little, fearing Nichkhun would attack Kahi and then them. Taecyeon point the gun at Jinwoon, ready to fire at him if he shoots Nichkhun. Yoona notices Taecyeon impatient and hot-temper. Chansung walks up to Jinwoon and place his hand on the gun; he lowers it down. Taecyeon, who is still doubtful of them, did not do so until Yoona walks up to him and place her hand over his, she nod her head. Taecyeon get the clue and lower the gun. Everybody watches Nichkhun holding the titanium stick over the cut, scanning up and down. Her skin begin to connect and heal, leaving a slight visible mark. He put the stick-like-pen back in his inside jacket pocket and takes out a cloth from the other side of his jacket and gently wipes blood on her arm.

            “You should be fine now.” Said Nichkhun in a stony tone.

            “Thank you.” Kahi whispered to him.

            “What is that he’s holding?” Chansung asked.

            “It’s a healer pen, well, that’s what we call.” Wooyoung answered for Nichkhun. “It heals small cuts, wounds, and scratches.”

            His assertive tone annoys Nana, making her look out of dated or old fashion. Nichkhun put his pen away.

            “Would you like to join us?” Chansung asked. “We are going to The Host territory.” He said.

            “To the Host territory?” Taecyeon and Wooyoung react in shock.

            “You won’t make it out.” Nichkhun warned them.

            “How would you know?” Said Jinwoon cockily. “Oh way, because that’s were you are from.”

            Nichkhun irately glares at him. “Everything there has change. It’s not before. Even if you make it out alive, you’re only bringing more trouble to yourself and others.”

            “How you would you know?” Yuri asked.

            “My tribe is one example. We sneaked into the Host territory and successfully brought weapons back, but only to be follow by them.” Taecyeon tones are full of hatred and anger as he glares at the dirt ground.

            Yoona feel a pressure against her chest as if she is feeling the same pain as he is. Jun.K and Junho lower their weapon.

            “Well, we have to get into the Host territory no matter what. They have spread viruses or sickness onto this land. Humans are getting weaker day by day. We can’t afford to lose anymore. It would be great if you help us get into the Host territory.” Chansung said as he looks at Nichkhun.

            “Join us.” Jun.K asked. “The more helps we get the higher chance of succeeding especially with a Host switching side, becoming a human.”

            Wooyoung looks at Taecyeon and Nichkhun, waiting for them to answer.

            “It late, very hard to find a place to spend the night.” Chansung added.

            Nichkhun walks over to the closet dead Host—bend down to one of his knee—and search the Host pockets. Everybody, except Taecyeon and Wooyoung, cluelessly observes Nichkhun closely. Nichkhun take out a small glowing light blue jar from a pocket—open the lid—and pour it over the dead Host body. The body vaporizes to white mist. It astounds them seeing the body disappear.  

            “What is that?” Kahi curiously asked. “What’s in it?”

            “It’s Blue tonic. It contains highly dangerous chemical that with break cells in the body and turn it into dust.” Nichkhun answered her. Taecyeon and Wooyoung walk over to the dead body and did the same thing as Nichkhun. “You can’t leave evidence behind. Burning their body will not help, they can track down it down by the smoke. They can’t track down Blue tonic.”

            “Isn’t it handing to have a Host on your side?” Wooyoung jokingly said as he pours the Blue Tonic over the Host body. “We learn new things from him every day.” 

            The Revolution gives them a helping, cleaning up the dead body with their own weapons. Chansung found an extra Blue Tonic in a Host pockets and sneakily keeps it inside his jacket. Kahi looks at Nichkhun, notices bloods still dripping from the cut she made on him. Heading over to him, wanting to apologize, but was cut off by Nana.

            “Kahi-ah, can we trust them?” Nana whispered.

            Kahi glance pass Nana and at Nichkhun, caught him looking at her. She immediately looks away back to Nana. “They just save us.” Her voices were nearly a whispered.

            “I was save by that annoying Wooyoung, not the Host.” Nana corrected her.

            Kahi cup the side of her face with one hand and warmly smiles, “We can’t always look at other negatively just because they are not like us. We have to be on the positive side, they help us, save us, we should be gratitude toward them.” Her tones were soft as she spoke to Nana.

            Nana obediently nodded her head.

            “By the way, we didn’t get to know your name except one.” Chansung glance at Wooyoung then back at Taecyeon and Nichkhun.

            “I’m Jang Wooyoung from Busan, 23 years old.” Wooyoung delightedly introduced himself to everybody.

            “Ok Taecyeon, also from Busan, 25 years old.”

            All eye gone to Nichkhun waiting for him to introduce himself, but only gets a silent and cold yet serious stares from him.

            “What is your name?” Chansung politely asked.

            “Host doesn’t have a name.” Jinwoon said in an unwelcoming tone.

            “Be polite.” Said Jun.K

            “Nichkhun.” He said stonily.

            “Just Nichkhun?” Yuri asked. “No surname?”

            “No. It was the name from the original soul of this body.” Nichkhun said in a sad yet cold tone.

            A short silent in the cave after Nichkhun introduce his unknown identity to everyone. Everybody awkwardly looks at each other. Unknowingly, Nichkhun eyes flew to Kahi. He feels something tingly inside of him, an invisible electric shockwave between them. 

            Jun.K walks up to Nichkhun and hold his right hand out for a shake. “I’m Lee Jun.K from Daegu.”  

            Nichkhun hesitate as he looks at Jun.K then up at him. Jun.K smiles as he waits patiently for a shake from Nichkhun.  Nichkhun reach his hand out and shake his hand before letting go.

            Behind Jun.K is Junho, who happily waves at him, Taecyeon, and Wooyoung. “Lee Junho from Ilsan.”

            “Jeong Jinwoon from Seoul.”

            “Hwang Chansung, leader of this unit, from Seoul also.”

            “Kwon Yuri from Goyang.”

            “Im Yoona, 20 years old from Seoul.” When introducing herself, her gazes were fixes on Taecyeon unknowingly.

            “Park Im Nana, 19 years old from Gangwon.”

            “Park Kahi, from Gangwon also, 24.”

            Wooyoung politely bow his head to everybody.

            “Thank you for helping us.” Said Chansung. “We have extra sleeping bags in the truck.” He looks over at Jun.K and Junho, signaling them to go get it then he eyes direct to Jinwoon. “Get the fire started.”

            “Don’t.” Said Nichkhun. “We’ve cause enough attention tonight.”

            “They found this place because of the smokes.” Taecyeon added.

            “It’s cold.” Jinwoon complained.

            “You’ve should have brought more clothes than.” Said Wooyoung.

            Jinwoon flash glares at him.

            “Then we rest.” Said Chansung before Jinwoon can take any action towards Wooyoung.

            Junho and Jun.K came back with bags in their arms. Jun.K hand one to Nichkhun then the other to Taecyeon. Junho give Wooyoung his. The girls walks back to their bags, dusting off the dirt and moving in a little and to the side so Nichkhun, Taecyeon, and Wooyoung have rooms to sleep. The guys went back to their sleeping bags and lay inside the bag. An hour later, they were all deep a sleep except for one, Nichkhun. Sitting outside on the side of the cave, he looks up at the full moon. Kahi could not sleep at all, row her body around and discovered Nichkhun not in his sleeping bag. She sits up and get out of the sleeping bag, and put on her black leather boots. With the light of the moon, she looks around the cave for him, no only to see everybody else asleep. Her eyes gaze outside the cave. Kahi stand and walks out of the cave, looking to her left first then to her right. There she sees him sitting on the ground, looking up at the moon. She walks to him and take a seat beside him. Her unexpected appearance surprises him. No words spoken between them, but only gazes at each other.

            “Thank you.” Kahi break the silent.

            Nichkhun look back at the moon, “For what?” He said in an impressive tone.

            “For saving me and healing my wound.” Kahi said in a guilty tone when she remembers paying him back with a medium cuts on his left right chest.  

            Nichkhun silently looks at the moon again, not knowing what next to say to her. Kahi eyes direct down at the left side of his chest and see the blood stains. Though part of the bloodstains is dry, but the center of the cut is wet, telling her his still bleeding.

            “Why don’t you treat yourself?” She asked.

            Nichkhun hesitate to answer.

            “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to slash you.” Kahi explained, “It just that….”

            “My eyes.” He cut her off as he looks at her again with his cold and lonely eyes.

            Kahi regretfully and guiltily looks down. “I’m sorry for misjudging you.”

            “It’s okay. I get that a lot.” Said Nichkhun calmly.

            “Please heal the cut.” Kahi plead softly.

            “It’s fine.” Said Nichkhun. Kahi looks up at him confusedly, not understanding what he meant. “I want to feel what it’s like to bleed like human.” Said Nichkhun in the same tone. “I want to feel what pain is.”

            Feeling human pains, bleeding the body that is not his; he wanted to be humanize, to understand their ways of living, feeling, and every possibility a human gone through in life. But Kahi does not. She does not like to see blood, especially the one she create on an innocent yet heroic man. It may sound strange or nearly impossible, but she feels something for him. Yet that feeling is unclear. She’s not sure if it is pity, caring, or love. It all mixes inside of her. They just met; it was impossible for her to care for a man like him this deep. However, she can defy herself that she do care for him and is deeply guilty for hurting him when he first saved her. Remembering where he keeps his pen, Kahi grabs his jacket—slide her left into one of his inside pocket and take out the pen. Nichkhun was dazed as he looks at her.

            “Stay still.” Kahi ordered as she moves her body closer. 

            His body stiffens as she proceeds, pulling his shirt up, her cheek rose red as her heart flutters. She tries to ignore it, but her eyes keeps glancing at his perfect chisels abs and pectoral. Nervously, she holds the pen over the 3 inches cut and press a small button on the top of the pen. A light-blue light shines over the cut, healing it. She slowly moves the pen down to the end of the cut. Within less than a minutes, his skin connects, leaving a light scar. Kahi release the button and let go of his shirt, and shyly look down at the ground.

            “Umm here you go.” Kahi holds the pen in between them.

            Speechless by her action, Nichkhun feels his heart beating nervously fast. “1…2…3” He counts inside his head to calm his heart beats down back to normal, but only make it worst, fluttering nervously as he gazes at her.

 

To be continue…………………