Ch.1: A Mission

The Host

          This is the year of 2050, where the world is no longer the same anymore—no hope—no life of its own; it’s different now. Emptiness everywhere. Humanity is slowly decreasing. They are not dying; they just lost their humanity and become something different; everybody has become robot-like, stiff and emotionless. The only home, shelter, is the dark-cold underground caves as room—tunnels as the pathway in the Mountain. Two hundred miles South of Mantapsan Mountain is where The Revolution is hiding. One of the biggest group that still standing strong and firm while other begins to vanquish. In the biggest room of the Mountain stands the entire population, nearly 2000 survivors, of the Revolution. A man in his late-20s enters the room follow by two other men behind him and up to the center. The man in the middle is no other than Jay, the leader’s son, second in charge of the Revolution. The leader himself is on a mission leaving Jay in charge till he return.

            “Good afternoon every one.” Jay greeted the room full of fighter with a gentle voice. The people all lightly bow their head to 45 degree. “You are all probably wondering why I call you here, right?” The only answer Jay gets was a silence. “Well, I am here to let you all know that we are short of medication and food supplies. With new members everyday, our crops have become narrow.  Don’t get me wrong, I welcome new member at anytime, but what we need is more land, more supplies, and more medications. Every day, a person encounters new sickness, whether it is a small flu or a virus, it is a contamination. We can just keep ending people out to get food from the markets, the Host have tighten up the securities; making it harder for us to supplies our need. What I’m proposing is a mission to invade their territory and retrieves weapons and supplies.”

            “We need volunteers, about six to eight volunteer for this mission.” Said Chansung. “I will be leading the way to their territory and back.”

            “I know you all are worry whether to make home back alive or not, but I guarantee, we will do our best to keep you all safe and reunite with your family again once this mission is over.”

            “With more weapons and supplies, we can begin our revolution against the Host.” Chansung added. “To return what once called home.”

            Words are very convincing and powerful, many whispered to each other, deciding whether they should take a risk or not. Jay, Chansung, and Jokwon await for answer. They look from left to right, trying to read their lips and mind. Three young beautiful ladies step forward; all stand nearly the same height. Many recognize them and know their ability. No doubt they are the three strongest fighter of the Revolution.

            “Kahi, Nana, and Yoona have volunteer for this mission. Is there any other brave souls out there wishes to join this mission?” Jay loudly spoke.

            A moment of hesitation, four men and one young lady courageously step out of the crowd. Jay, Chansung, and Jokwon were please with the result. Jay walks forward—up to them and smiles with gratitude.

            “Kahi, Nana, Yoona, Jinwoon, Junho, Jun.K, and Yuri. Thank you all for volunteering.” He bows to them. They were a little baffle and quickly take a step back. “It’s okay. This is my behalf of the whole Revolution to thank you young brave hearts. I promise, I will look after your family.” Said Jay.

            They bow to him.

            “We will leave early tomorrow morning. You all should go prepare yourself and rest early.” Said Chansung

            “I will have the equipment ready in advance for you all.” Said Jokwon. “Just rest.”

            “Thank you.” They said.

            “All right then, everybody dismiss.” Jay announced.

            Jay, Chansung, and Jokwon head back to their main room while the rest resume their duties. Nana turns around and grab Kahi right arm, worriedly looking at her. Yoona’s stepfamily gives her a warm smile before walking back to the crop. She and Yuri join them momentarily. 

            “Kahi, I don’t feel good about this mission.” Said Nana worriedly.

            Kahi patted her hand and smiles warmly, “This mission will be like any other mission we’ve done. Don’t worry.” She assured her.

            “Yes, don’t worry Nana. This is will like other mission. We finish it in a couples and come home together.” Said Yuri.

            “We’re talking about invading the Host main headquarter.” Said Jinwoon who pass by with other guys. “It will take weeks, if we’re lucky, we come back in one piece.”

            Kahi, Yoona, and Yuri flash an unpleasant glares at them then warmly smiles at Nana, who are frighten by those guys. “It doesn’t matter. We will al make it home together.” Said Yoona.

            “Yes. Yoona is right. We just have to do what we normally do.” Kahi reinforced her.

            A silent between them as they shot worry gazes at each other. Yes, all of them do feel concern about this mission. It is not the same as other missions, this more risky, a 50-50 chance of surviving and coming back home.

*    *    *

            Early morning, those who volunteer gather by the entrance/exit of their hideout. Many people have comes to see them off. Yoona’s adoptive mom and sister is giving her a big warm hug while the father stand and watch in concern.  

            “I’ll be home. I promise.” Yoona assured adoptive parent.

            “You will.” Said her adoptive mom. She slides Yoona bang aside and cups her face. She warmly and confidently smiles to her.  

            “Seohyun, take good care of mom and dad, okay?” Said Yoona. Seohyun nods in tears.

             Yuri is with her family, comforting her parents, assuring them she will be home.

            “Mom, I will be home. Don’t cry. You’re making it look like this is the last time you will see me.” Yuri tries to enlighten up the mood, but only to make her mom more crouch and worry.

            “Don’t say that.” Said her mom. “I know what my daughter is capable of and she will do fine.”

            “Sorry.” Yuri gave a firm smile.

            Jinwoon is already by the exit, ready to depart any moment. Jun.K is saying good-bye to his wife, Lizzy, and baby. It was a sad family last reunion. Junho is saying good-bye to his girlfriend, Hyoyeon. Kahi and Nana have no worries or burden in them except responsibility for each other life. Nana admires those who have parents. She misses her mom and dad. She knows Kahi misses them too. Jay, Chansung, and Jokwon walk through the crowds and to the entrance/exit of the mountain.

            “It’s time.” Said Chansung.

            “Chansung will be in charge. Good luck to you all and be safe.” Said Jay.

            The volunteers stood in row and give one last bow before departure. Chansung take the first exit and lead the group to their mission. The Revolution watches them get into two vehicles ready for them beforehand and disappear in the open plain. People stand at the entrance waving good-bye to them.

The Group's ride: 

range-rover-evoque-indus-silver.png

            Chansung and Junho in one vehicle with Kahi and Nana, while Jinwoon and Jun.K in the other with Yoona and Yuri. Taking out the glasses on the side of the door, they put them on to avoid the Host’s eyes. Kahi and Nana lower the window, letting the winds hit their face; they relax and enjoy the early morning breeze. Three hours have passed; they have been the roads for quite while. Chansung stop the car. Jun.K also stop the car.

            “Lets take a short break.” Said Chansung.

            Kahi, Nana, and Changmin nodded before getting out of the car. Chansung went the other car and told them the same thing. Every body is out of the car stretching and wanders around a little. Nana joyfully walks up to a rose bush and pick up a blooming rose.  

            “Kahi, this is a beautiful rose.” Said Nana happily.

            Kahi smiles as she walks up to her and stand beside her. “It is.” She said.

            “Can we bring this home?” Nana asked.

            “I don’t think we can.” Kahi answered disappointed Nana. “You see, the rose need the sunlight and nature. We live in an underground of the mountain, there’s hardly any sun and fresh nature air.” She explained to her.

            “She can try.” Yoona encourage Nana. “Once we accomplish the mission, we’ll stop by here and pick its seed. You can try planting back home.”

            Nana smiles brightly. “I will.” She said. 

            “Okay, lets get going. We need to find the next shelter before night arrives.” Said Chansung.

            Everybody gather again in the car they’ve ridden. For the next four hours, they arrive at a cave. Jinwoon and Jun.K did a quick safety check in the cave before reporting back to Chansung.

            “It’s safe.” Said Jun.K, “No sighed of anyone staying here before.”

            “Good. We rest here for the night.” Said Chansung.

            Everybody nod and unexpected a few necessary items out of the trunk and carries it into the cave. Junho starts the fires for everybody. Yuri and Yoona prepare dinner for every body tonight.

            “I don’t feel good about this cave.” Kahi whispered to Nana.

            “Why?” Nana asked.

            “No sighed of refugee mean something happen or someone have covered up the truth.” Kahi explained to her.

            “Should we tell them?”

            Kahi shook her head, “No. There’s no other cave or shelters close by, but we still have to be cautious.” She said. Nana nod.

            Dinner was ready shortly, everybody gather around the fires and eat. Chansung and Junho did a quick perimeter check after dinner. After they return, the sky was complete dark. The moon have rise to it highest peak. Every body went to their sleeping bag and rests their eyes.  Sleeping peacefully in the cave did not last long. A couple hours later, all eyes wide open after the sound of vehicle engines shut down nearby. Quickly, everybody run to the nearest walls and hide in the darkness. Looking at the ground, they sees shadows; lots of shadow. Those shadows continue to walk further into the cave. They can identify the shadows; a group dress in white from top to bottom. It was the Hosts. Waiting for them come further into the group, Chansung tackle one to wall and twist its neck, killing it instantly. Others Hosts quickly drew their laser gun out and point at Chansung. Everybody dash from his or her hideout to the Hosts, surprise attack them from behind. Punches and kicks are thrown at each other. Bodies are thrown in the air. Lasers have been fire from the Host’s gun. Unknowingly, there were more Hosts outside the cave. Three men who are nearby heard shouts and gun fires. They rush to see it and caught the remaining Host running to the cave with their laser gun at arms.

            “We should help.” A delighted male suggest.

            “We don’t even know what’s going on it there.”

            “Taec, there is only one solution why the Hosts are attacking. They have discovered humans.”

            “Wooyoung is right.” Said a man with cold expression.

            “It can be an ambush. You’re an escaper, they could have set this up for you.” Said Taecyeon.

            “There’s no time.” He make a run to the cave as fast as he could.

            “Nichkhun!” Taecyeon and Wooyoung shouted.

            “Seriously, I thought you were irrational, but he is too.” Said Wooyoung before he got up and run after Nichkhun.

            Taecyeon was a bit of annoyed by Wooyoung comment, but it didn’t stop him from giving a chase and enforce those who are under attack by the Hosts. Nichkhun was the first to arrive and sees Kahi struggling against three Hosts. Unknowingly, her run to her—grab her hand and pulls her toward him—dodging the next gunfire. Kahi turn to see who save her, but in shock, she sees his silver ring eyes like the Hosts. Quickly, she pushes him away and slit his chest horizontally with a small knife. Blood running out from his inner body, Nichkhun flash a quick glance at her before he attacks the closest Host, ducking the laser and took their gun away and fire it back at them.  This leaves Kahi speechless and confuse as she watches him. Taecyeon and Wooyoung arrive momentarily after three Hosts are down. Yoona was not quick enough to dodge the next hit from the Host and falls back, hitting the wall. A Host walks up to her with a blade held high in the air. Taecyeon sees it and sprints to the Host—grab his wrist and attention away from Yoona—fiercely glares at the Host. Taecyeon throw a fierce punch across the Host face—snatch the gun away from him and fire at his brain. Wooyoung run to Nana and Yuri—grab the back collar of the two Hosts jacket and pull them away from the ladies. He did a spin kick across their face, take out his thin blade hanging on his back and stab them in their head. A Host runs to a defenseless Nana with a cutlass blade. Wooyoung snatch a blade from a dead Host and run to the Host. He pushes a small metallic button at the handle down, a sharp shinning blade slide out from the handle. He reach his left arm around the Host neck—pulling him back away from Nana—and stab the blade at the heart. The Host drops his weapon and fall to his knees. Wooyoung grab he head and snap it to the left, killing him. Nana gazes at him, watching him back away from the Host then shortly stop and looks at her.  Everybody was at ease, but the moment ended quickly when Jinwoon spotted another silver ring eyes by Kahi.

            “. There’s one more.” Jinwoon rushes to the closest dead Host and pick up the gun and point at Nichkhun. He put his index and middle fingers at the trigger, ready to pull it.

            Junho and Jun.K did the same, snatch a laser gun from a dead Host and pointed at Nichkhun.

            “Wait!” Wooyoung and Taecyeon shouted. “He’s with us.”

            Everybody looks at them oddly. Nichkhun stand calmly, looking at everybody in the cave then back to Kahi, who is still in shock. He is use to the result of saving human life and in return, them pointing the gun at him. Their facial expression is not surprising to him at all. The guys were still suspicious of Nichkhun; firmly have their index finger at the trigger.

            “He is a not a Host, not one of them.” Wooyoung said loudly with his hands up as a stop sign.

            “He’s with us. He is with me and Wooyoung.” Said Taecyeon as he held his left hand up with his palm open at the guys. 

 

Cutlass weapon in multi forms (The Host secondary weapon): 

GZ7OsQr.jpg

The Host primary weapon: 

sci-fi_gun_1b.jpgSci-fi_gun_final_3b.jpg

mib-3-replica-gun.jpg

To be continue………………