Ch. 4: It's just too easy

The Host

           Walking with the group to the medical room, Kahi suddenly comes to a stop after seeing a bright white light room fills with human size experiment tubes lining up in rows. Standing before the door, looking at the tubes through a small frame window, 30 inches by 50 inches, she sees letter with numbers label on the top of the tube. Kahi walks up to the door and grab the doorknob. Pushing it down, the door open. She enters the testing room. It was cold and bright. She begins to walk down the center, looking from left to right. There are either a man or a woman in each tube except for one. She stop right in front of it of an empty tube and read the label on the top of the small glass window.

            “N88.” Kahi whispered.

            Kahi curiously take a step closer to the tube, looking through the ice-cold glass, there was absolutely no one inside of it.

            “Who was in here?” Kahi whispered inside her head as she continues to analysis the tube. It was the only tube that is empty in the room.

            Lifting her right hand and moves it toward N88 tube, “What are you doing here?” A callous voice echoes from the doorway.

            Its’ voice startle her. She pulls her hand back, turns, and sees Nichkhun standing at the doorway.

            “Why are you in here?” Nichkhun asked in the same tone.

            “I—I just wanted to know….”

            “Know what?” He cut her off. “This is the test room. There’s nothing for you to know. You shouldn’t be in here at all.”

            “Test room?” His words profound her. His tone caught her full attention. She was puzzle by his cold expression and tone, but through his eyes, she sees pains and suffering. Could it be that he was once lock in this tube like others? Could it be the reason why he left? “Where you in here once?” She asked.

            Nichkhun hesitate to answer her.

            “Where you in this tube before?” Kahi asked again.

            “Why do you want to know?”

            “Just answer me first.”

            “Yes.” He answered her. “The one you’re standing in front of is mine.”

            His answered left her speechless and feeling pain and torture.   

            “You shouldn’t be in here at all.”

            Not knowing what else to say, a silent whispered in between them as they stood facing each other. Suddenly, the siren goes on, ringing loudly from every corner.

            “I knew it!” Nichkhun said in a fierce tone.

             Kahi surprisingly looks around the place, while Nichkhun rush to her—held her right hand—and pulls her with him. Kahi shockingly gazes at him from behind as she follows him.

            “What’s going on? Kahi worriedly asked.

            “They’re coming.” He said as he rushes to find others.

            Placing one room to the next, they finally found Taecyeon and Wooyoung with the girls.

            “Hurry up, gather everything.” Said Nichkhun keenly.

            Yoona and Nana shoves every drug they see or find into black duffel bag. Taecyeon and Wooyoung give them a hand. Nichkhun and Kahi run to the closet cell and open the doors; they grab everything and throw it into the bag. Once the bag is full, everybody left the room, rushing down the hall to the stairways.  A loud noise comes from the main level; Nichkhun walks to the edge and sees hosts come running in.

            “!” Taecyeon gritted in teeth as he glares at the hosts from the top.

            Looking across the building, Wooyoung spotted Chansung and Jinwoon leaving the weapon room. “Look, there’s Chansung and Jinwoon. They’re trying to find a way out.” Said Wooyoung pointing at them.

            The Hosts looks up and spotted them on the bridge. They immediately hold their laser gun up and begin firing at them. Nichkhun pull Kahi across the bridge and into his embraces, shielding her with his from the lasers. Taecyeon shift his body to the front—shields her with his body as he pushes her back away from the edge just in time before the laser hit her. Wooyoung carries Nana up, spins her around to the side—away from the bridge and back to the wall. He hid her in between him and the wall. Shudder by his unexpected actions, Nana heavily yet nervously inhales and exhales as she rest her hands at his chest, feeling his heart beats wildly fast. She looks up and feels his hot breathes over her lips. She feels her cheeks hot red. Wooyoung peak his head out and down at the hosts. They were still fiercely firing at them. Wooyoung looked back at Nana and sees her staring at him shyly. He soon realizes how close he was to her, so close that he can feels her chest. Chansung and Jinwoon, from the third floor, take out laser gun they stole and fires surprisingly at them, gathering their attention to them. Nichkhun release his arms around her and looks down her, making sure she’s not hurt. Kahi was flutters by his action and nervously yet shyly smiles at him.

            With his arms still wrap around her, Taecyeon looks down at Yoona. “Are you hurt anywhere?” He worriedly asked.

            Yoona shook her head lightly, “I’m fine.” She timidly answered him.

            Taecyeon immediately held her hand and pull Yoona across the bridge. With two pairs successfully crossed the bridge, Wooyoung and Nana remain on the other side, waiting for an opportunity to cross. Wooyoung takes a shy step back.

            “Sorry.” He nervously apologized to her.

            Nana stay shy silent as she looks down at his chest.

            “Nana!” Kahi frightenly shouted.

            Nana frightenly looks back at her, as she remains Wooyoung arms. With hosts still firing at them, it was hard for Wooyoung and Nana to cross the bridge. From the third level, Chansung caught them hesitating—pausing on the side. He looks to the right and sees Wooyoung and Nana stuck behind the wall. He takes out three laser guns and throws them up to Nichkhun and Taecyeon then resuming firing at the hosts. Nichkhun and Taecyeon pick up the gun and begin firing down at them. Wooyoung immediately take this advantage and pull Nana across the bridge with him. A host point his gun at Nana, pull the trigger; he fire at her. Wooyoung saw the host aiming at Nana; he pulls her back—shift his body in front of her; he shield her. The blue light slit his left arm.

            “Ah…” Wooyoung make a small painful groaned.

            Nana eyes widen in shock as she concernly looks at him. He put on a strong looks and continues pulling her across the bridge. Kahi immediately pull her into her frightful embrace.

            Taecyeon take a look at his bleeding left arm, “Are you all right?”

            “I’m fine.” Said Wooyoung, hiding the burning pain on his left arm.

            Kahi break the hug, Nana turn her head and glances at Wooyoung, seeing his expression different from his answered.

            “Lets go then.” Said Nichkhun, leading him to the staircase room.

            Taecyeon handed Wooyoung a gun as they run down the stairs to the third floor. Taecyeon kick the door open, Nichkhun and Wooyoung steps out and fires at the hosts again. Successfully catching their attention, Chansung and Jinwoon carries the bags and make a run to them. Yoona, Kahi, and Nana heard footstep rushing upward, they embrace themselves for the hosts.

            “Stay.” Kahi ordered Nana.

            Kahi and Yoona dash to them, making the first attack before they could fire at them. Kahi and Yoona pull out a cutlass hanging from their hip—push the small button—sharp ceramic titanium blade slither down from the handle. Kahi throw her cutlass at the Host forehead, sending him back against the wall. Yoona make a jump and swing her right leg across the host face, sending him to the ground then stab him in the head. Kahi run to her cutlass, pull it out and stab the next host.

            Chansung and Jinwoon make it to the group. Wooyoung and Nichkhun steadily retreat into the stairway room. Taecyeon close the door and lock it before he follows them. Taecyeon and Wooyoung help the guys carries two duffel bags each. Rushing down together, Nichkhun, Wooyoung, and Chansung shot a couple hosts down as they proceed. Running hastily down the stairs, they finally arrived to the main level where the rest of the hosts await for them within seconds. They stop behind the thick metal door. Chansung takes out a few round objects and hand them to Nichkhun, Wooyoung, and Taecyeon. Jinwoon grab a few from the bag he’s carrying. Nichkhun push the door slightly open, enough for Jinwoon to throw the gas bomb and smoke the around their perimeter. Smokes arises heavily causing blindness to the Host, Nichkhun push the door open and throws the grenade at them. It explodes and bodies around five feet and turning it into dust. The group makes a run to the exit, Chansung and Jinwoon was the first to exit the building and immediately fires at their enemies. The next two were Chansung and Wooyoung firing at the host as the the ladies to the wall.

            “Jun.K! Junho! Yuri!” Kahi shouted, alerting them they have arrived and ready to throws the bag over.

            Junho, Jun.K, and Yuri are already prepared the moment they heard screams and laser guns fire in the air. Kahi, Nana, and Yoona throw the black bag over to them. They catch it and put in the trunk. Chansung walks up to the wall after seeing Nichkhun out of the building and seal the door. Taecyeon and Jinwoon take care of the left side while Nichkhun and Wooyoung takes care of the right. Chansung throw the first bag of weapon over to them. Junho caught it and quickly look through the bag. He takes out a laser gun—stop onto the front of the SUV and climb on the wall; he begins firing at the host from left to right, from where ever he sees them coming. Chansung throw the second bag over, Jun.K caught and hand it to Yuri. Then he lifts the ladies one by one over the wall first then Jinwoon comes and give him a boost. Chansung successfully got over the wall—stay on top of the wall—and fire at his enemies again. Taecyeon comes and lift Jinwoon over the wall after he throws the weapon bags over to Jun.K. He and Wooyoung throws the other fours bags over and then he give Wooyoung a boost over the wall.

            “Nichkhun!” Taecyeon called him.

            “Go first.” Said Nichkhun as he continues fire at the hosts.

            He hesitate then looks up at the wall, he sees Junho and Chansung reaching their hand down for him while Jinwoon and Wooyoung shoots. Taecyeon back away a little then make a run—step onto the wall and jump. He grabs a hold of Junho and Chansung hand. They pull him up and over the wall. Jun.K get the SUV started first.

            “Nichkhun! Come on!” Wooyoung shout as he focus his gun at the hosts.

            Just hearing Wooyoung shouted shakes Kahi heart. It worries to knowing he’s on the other side of the wall alone. With Jinwoon, Junho, Wooyoung, and Chansung having his back, Nichkhun make a run to the wall—jump and step onto the wall—boosting himself up. He grabs a hold of Taecyeon hands. Taecyeon pulls him up over the successfully. Jinwoon and Chansung throw a couple grenades at them before getting down and into the car. Taecyeon, Wooyoung, and Nichkhun hurries to their motorcycle—take out their helmet—put them on and start the engine. The next second, the group hit the street again. They try to blend with others in the street, but are follows by the Hosts. They speeds up, changing lanes and cutting cars. They are getting near the gate and see the hosts mobilize at the gate. Nichkhun and Taecyeon speeds their ride, taking the lead.

            Chansung scrolls the window down, Wooyoung ride up to him and take the grenades. “Once the gates is weaken, drive thru it.” Said Wooyoung before speeding up. Nana worried watches him ride faster and faster away.

            Everybody in the backseats watches the three of them curve to side—cuts cars off. Wooyoung spotted a couple ramp-alike, about 8 feet high, just up front before the gate. He presses on the red button, honking at Nichkhun and Taecyeon.

            “, there’s too many. Lets have some fun guys!” Wooyoung happily shouted.

            They glance at him, seeing him making head gesture movement. Looking where Wooyoung direct them too, they see a couple ramp, one on each side. In a second, every body was at all. Wooyoung rides to the ramp, jump and spins his bike 360 degrees, and drop the explosive grenade down at the gate. The hosts go flying in the air and gates blown apart. Taecyeon ride up the ramp, jump, and did a U-side turn like a scoop over the gate, dropping a few explosive grenades over their head before he land. Nichkhun rides up the ramp at a fast speed, he jump and flip over the gate, dropping a few grenades before he turn his motorcycle back to its’ formation and land.

            “Oh !” Jun.K shout in amazed.

            “Damn! They are so cool.” Yuri commented.

            “Show off.” Jinwoon said in a jealous tone.

            “They are good.” Chansung praised.

            Kahi, Nana, and Yoona just smile in the back. Everybody else was just speechless seeing doing daring stunts. Nichkhun, Taecyeon, and Wooyoung stop and take out the laser and fires at the remaining hosts. Chansung pressed on the gas petal and break the gate apart. Jun.K drives closely behind him. A loud cheer inside the vehicles as they continues to drive further and further away from the Host territory. Everybody scrolls his or her window down.

            “We did it!” Yuri excited cheer. “We did it!”

            “I know right!” Junho said in excitement. “That was awesome!”

            Jun.K just smiles as he listens to them.

            Jinwoon tuck his head out the window, “Woohoo!!” Jinwoon howled. “Yeah baby!” He excitedly raised his right fist in the air. “That’s what we called fun!”

            Nichkhun, Taecyeon, and Wooyoung slow down a bit to their speed and curve to the side of the SUV. Nichkhun rides beside Kahi side. Taecyeon ride to Yoona’s ride. Wooyoung stays on the center side.   

            Though they have successfully left the territory, Nichkhun still felt unsecure—unsafe and suspicious. Them invading the supplies building, stealing medicines and weapons easily, it was all too easy. So easy that it leave Nichkhun uncomfortably profound. “We need take the small routes.” Nichkhun suggested to Chansung.

            “Okay.” Chansung replied. “Let’s take the next right turn then.”

            Nichkhun nod. Chansung turn the wheel to the right into a small desert route. Other follows and rides for the next five hours till sun down. They spotted street of abandon house. Randomly picking one, the group picks the fourth house and park in the back. Everybody get out of the SUV. Nichkhun, Taecyeon, and Wooyoung got off their motorcycle and take their helmet off. Yuri and Yoona walks up to the house, enter, and looks around the place to see if there is anybody inside. Taecyeon, Jinwoon, and Junho join the two of them in the house. Chansung and Jun.K went to the trunk; grab two 10 gallons containers of fuel for each and fills up the SUV fuel tank after seeing white stick near the letter “E”.

            “Do you guys need gas?” Jun.K asked.

            “The motorcycles run on oil.” Nichkhun replied.

            “Oh, we only have fuel.” Said Jun.K

            “It’s okay, the house might have it.” Said Nichkhun.

            Kahi aspects the place, Nana looks over at Wooyoung and sees his lips dried and pale. She walks over to him, step in front of him, and take a closer look. Wooyoung looks away, trying to hide his pale sick-look face. He has lost quite a lot of blood during the road trip.

            Nana looks down at the deep long cut on his upper left arm. “You’ve lost a lot of blood. The cut it getting infected.” She worriedly said.

            Wooyoung cover his left arm, turning his body his body to the left a little to hide the cut, “It’s fine.” He said, trying to stay strong.

            Nana places her right hand on his forehead, reading his temperature. “You’re lying.” His body temperature has become warmer than a normal human body temperature.

            Wooyoung grab her wrist and hold hit off his forehead. Nana feels her heart beating nervously again like when he carries her off the ground and spin her around in the air back at the building. She feels her cheeks heating up; she’s blushing. Wooyoung release his grasp and walks into the house, leaving Nana unhappily watching him.

 

To be continue…………………………