Ch. 5: Spending the night

The Host

           Wondering inside the house, examining the house, Yoona and Taecyeon takes the upper floor while Jinwoon, Yuri, and Junho takes the basement. Woods creaking and echoing as they walk down the hall. It was dark, the sun has set, moon has rise. With only the light of the moon, they do not dare to turn on the light yet, Yoona slip on a white cloth lying on the ground. Taecyeon reach his arms out—the left arm wrap around her waist to her back—then his right arms across her back; he pulls her to his body. He catches her in very close interaction, so close that their lips nearly touch. Their eyes shock wide. Yoona’s eyes accident trails down to his neck and sees his Adam’s apple drop. Yoona shyly looks down and find her hands rests on his well define pectorals. She feels his heart beating anxiously fast against her palms. An awkward atmosphere form between them as she remains in his arms.

            Taecyeon shyly withdraws his arms from her and take a step back. “Sorry.”

            Yoona shyly smiles, “It’s okay.” She said in an introverted tone.

            “I think it’s safe here. We can spend the night here.” Said Taecyeon.

            Yoona nodded her head lightly, agreeing with him. “Lets head down and inform others.”

            “Okay.” Taecyeon agree and follows her down the stairs.

            Step down the last step of the stairs, Yuri, Junho, and Jinwoon walks up from the basement. Others enter the house from the back.

            “The basement is clear.” Said Yuri.

            “And so is the second floor.” Said Yoona.

            “Okay, we’ll rest here tonight.” Said Chansung. “The ladies can take the bedrooms, men stay on the first floor.”

            They nod.

            “I’m going to go look for oil.” Said Taecyeon.

            “We’ll have look.” Junho offered.

            Chansung and Junho help Taecyeon look for oil in the house. Yuri and Kahi walk out of the house to the car and grab a few items from the back. They enter the house again and stay in the kitchen. Using the house kitchen utensils, Kahi and Yuri starts making dinner for everybody. Nana and Yoona hangs out at the kitchen, seeing if they can give any helping hand. The back door open, Nana looks up and sees Wooyoung walks to the stair, up to the second floor with something in his hand. Nana put down the knife and concernly follows him. Seeing him enter the bathroom, she walks up to it, and sees him standing in front of the mirror. Wooyoung takes out his jacket; pull his short shirtsleeves up, revealing his infected cut. Nana sees him having difficulty holding the Healing Pen at the cut, she walks up to him, and grab the pen away from him.

            Wooyoung was surprise by her. Nana softly smiles as she hold the pen at the tip of the cut—press and holds the button on the top of the pen down—she run the light-blue lights down cut steadily and slowly. He watches her—gazes at her nervously. She release the button after finish running the pen over his cut and seeing the cut heal from the infection, she looks at him; caught him staring her before he looks away embarrassedly. Nana secretively smiles as she looks at him.

            “Thank you.” Said Wooyoung quietly.

            “No problem.” Said Nana. “Next time, don’t hide it.”

            Wooyoung nervously gulp as he looks down at the sink. “I didn’t.”

            “You were. You lied about not feeling well. You try to hide from other, but I can see it.” Said Nana confidently. “I have a background in medicals and psychology. Don’t underestimate me.”

            Wooyoung directs his eyes at her. “Just trying to lose some pressure for them.” He said. He takes the pen back. “My injury is not a big deal. It won’t kill me.” He lightly said.

            “It’s a big deal.” Said Nana. “It can turn bad from small.” Her tones were filled with worries. 

            Taken by her worries, an awkward silent between as they shyly looks away from each other eyes, “Thank you for saving me earlier.” Said Nana breaking the silent. “If it wasn’t for you, I wouldn’t be here alive.”

            Wooyoung softly smiles, “No problem, we’re in this together.” He said. “Anyway, you’re really different from your sister.”

            “We are. She’s more active than I am. Her fighting skill is better than mine. I’m more in the back than in the front. If she or anyone is hurt, I would come to treat their injuries.” Said Nana proudly.

            Wooyoung lightly smiles as he stares at her cute loving smiles. Suddenly, he moves his right hand to her left side of her face and glides her bang aside causing Nana to stiffen in surprise.

            “When I was young, I usually hear people say, ‘a person smiles at least 75% per day. It is the energy source to keep them strong.’” Said Wooyoung. “You should smiles more. Your smile is really pretty. I really like it.” He praised her.

            His comment makes her blushed. “Thank you.” She shyly said.

* * * *

            Standing at the window in the living room, looking out to the front of the house, Nichkhun quietly thinks to himself. Kahi, from the kitchen, secretly glances at him. Taecyeon entered the house from the back and walk up to Nichkhun.

            “What are you thinking about?” Taecyeon asked.

            “Just something in the past.” Nichkhun answered. He sighed and turn around, “There is something wrong.” Taecyeon cocked his head slightly to the side and confusedly looks at him. “This is too easy.”

            “What do you mean?” Taecyeon asked.    

            “I mean we make entered the city and into the Supplies Building too easy. This is not how they are. They’re up to something.”

            “I think you’re thinking too much. We’re lucky enough to make in and out alive. We’re even more lucky that they didn’t pursue us. Just give it a rest.” Taecyeon trying to ease Nichkhun worries.

            No matter what Taecyeon say, Nichkhun does not feel right. There is just something itching inside of him as if something bad will happen very soon. He continues to look out the windows, staring at the desert empty road. An hour later, the ladies finish making dinner and place it on the dinning table.

            “Okay, dinner is ready.” Yoona announced.

            Junho and Wooyoung were the first to run to the table.

            “Wow, it looks so delicious.” Wooyoung commented.

            “Man, I’m sure glad you girls came along with us.” Said Junho happily as he reach for a plate.

            Kahi, Yoona, and Kahi smile. Chansung, Jun.K, and Jinwoon soon reached at the table. Like a buffet, they stood in line with plate in their hand waiting foods. Yoona looks to her right and sees Taecyeon sitting on a single couch staring blankly at the coffee table.  Knowing he’s concentrating deeply into something important to him, she grabbed a plate and scoops foods into the plate before she walks over to him. Yoona held the plate in front of him. Taecyeon looks up and sees Yoona standing in front of her and sees her shyly yet warmly smiles at him.

            “This is for you.” She said.

            “Thank you.” Taecyeon reach up and grabbed a hold of the plate. Yoona let go of the plate.

            Standing by the dinning, Kahi watches one by one come and get their portion and grab a seat somewhere in the house and eat like a buffet style. She noticed Nichkhun absent. Looking around the house, she sees Yoona in the living room with Nana on the double couch while Taecyeon and Wooyoung sit on the single couch across each other. Chansung and Jun.K seat at on a bench against the wall by the stairs. Junho and Jinwoon at the stairs. Kahi walks up to a cabin and grabbed two plates.

            She walks out of the house to back with two plates in her hands. Seeing Nichkhun pouring gallons of oil that the group and Taecyeon found earlier in the house into the motorcycle tank. Once it is filled, Nichkhun closed the tank and carries the empties containers over to the porch. He grabbed the towel on the bench and cleans his hand. Kahi walks up to him and handed him his plate of foods.

            “This is yours.” Said Kahi sweetly.

            Nichkhun looks at the plate than up at her, he sees her warm smiles. “I’m not hungry. You can eat first.”

            “If you want to be a human than you have to eat. Starving yourself will not make you a human.” Said Kahi jokingly. “You have to eat, so you restore your energy for tomorrow journey.”

            Nichkhun listened and blankly accepted the plate. Kahi takes a seat beside him. The two begins to eat.

            “Thank you for helping us today.” Said Kahi as she lower her plate down to her lap. “And thank you for protecting me.”

            “You’re welcome.” He said. He turned his head and looked at her. “Do you know you’re the first person to say so many thank you to me?”

            “It’s because you deserve it. You aided us from the Host the night before. You help get us in and out. You’ve safe me many times.” Kahi listing all his heroic things he had done for her and the Revolution group.

            “So is everything okay?” Kahi asked.

            “Yeah, just need to fix some few engines then everything will be back to normal.” Said Nichkhun.

            “How long will it take?”

            “About another day. I need to go fine a part for the motors.”

            “I think we can wait for you and your friends.” She smiles warmly.

            Nichkhun shyly looked down at the ground.

            “Can I ask you something?” Said Kahi.

            “What is it?”

             “Why did you leave you people? Why do you want to be a human like us, like me?” Kahi asked.

            Nichkhun is profound by her questions. He looks away from her eyes to the desert ground. Even he, himself, does not have the answered. But he does know it has something to do with his duty as a Host at the territory. It was the day he saw the first human in his soul cycle-life.

            Flashback~~~~~~~~

            Walking back and forth, checking around his perimeter, Nichkhun was on his duty as one of the guard at the Main Host laboratory.  

            “Nichkhun this human into the laboratory.” Said The Commander Chief Host.

            Nichkhun nodded and walks over to the human chain in heavy white titanium cuffs, body nearly covered in dry blood, bruises that covers most of its’ eyes and at the corner of its’ lip. Nichkhun stopped before the Chief Host and bowed 45 degree before the chief Host leaves. Nichkhun looks at the human who is pleading with his eyes and weak body. He grabbed the human wrist and dragged him to the front door of the laboratory.

            “Sir, please help me.” The human begged. “I don’t want to go in there. I don’t want to be one of you.” The human resisted.

            The human last sentence stopped Nichkhun from proceeding.

            “I don’t want to be one of you people. This is my body. My own body.” The human trembled in fear.

            Nichkhun turned and looked at him and sees the human in tears, pleading to be free.

            “Being one us is the greatest gift you can ever ask for.” Said Nichkhun in a stonily tone.

            “I don’t want it. I don’t want to leave my family. I don’t want to forget about them. I don’t want to lose my life. I know love, care, and feels. I’m a human with my own soul and heart.”

            Nichkhun’s hand shakes weakly as he shockingly stares at the human.

            “A heart?” Nichkhun whispered.

            For the first time, he felt something different, something so effective and powerful that trembles him. His right hand moves up and to the center of his chest and feels something thumping against his palm. It goes, “Thump…Thump…Thump.” The beat rhythmically repeats itself against his palm. It is the sounds a human heart, the sound he never felt before.

            The human drops to its’ knees. “Please let me free.” The human continues to beg for freedom. “I need to go find my family, my daughters, and my wife. Please sir, let me free. If it you in my situation and you have a family, a love ones, what will you do to be with them again and protect them?”

            Persuaded by his righteous words, Nichkhun grips loosen as he feel himself alive, more than just a body with arms and feet. It is a body with a heart, mind, and feeling, not just a lost lonely soul. He let go of the human wrist.

            End of the flashback~~~~~~~~

            Nichkhun turn and looks at Kahi, “Because I want to feel…” He stopped, trapping the last word in his mouth. It was the words he felt his heart thumping very fast that night she heals the cut at his chest. “Because I don’t want to be a lonely lost soul.” He said.

            “A soul is never lonely unless they chose to be one.” Said Kahi. “You chose the right path, to be a human than what you were before.” She warmly smiles.

            Nichkhun flash a soft smile across his face. Kahi caught him smiling cause her smiles to be wider.

            “You smile.” She said.

            The smiles on his face immediately vanished and fake a cough a couple times.

            “I like it when you smiles more than putting on a cold serious face. It’s really boring and unattractive.” She accidently blurted out the last word. 

            “You find me attractive?”

            Kahi nervously looks back her dish and begins eating again. Nichkhun smiles again when he sees sauces at the corner side of her lips. He moves his left hand to her lips and glides his thump over the sauce, wiping it off. Kahi gulp nervously as she looks at him. Kahi looks back down at her dish again the moment he remove his thump off her lips.

            “Umm, I’m going to go check on Nana and others.” She makes an excused, stands up, and walks back into the house.

            Nichkhun watches her shyly leaves.

 

To be continue…………………………………………