Ch. 3: The Host Territory

The Host

           Three seconds have passed and his heart is still beating nervously fast. He looks down at the pen in her hand and takes his pen back from her and put it in his pocket. His hands involuntary move to his center of his chest where the heart is and feels the beats at his palm. “What is this?”

            “Why aren’t you resting?” Kahi asked with warm looks.

            “I’m not tire.” Nichkhun answer her in a dull tone.

            Suddenly, Kahi curiously thought of something. “Do you…” she paused, rethinking to herself whether the words that will come out sound stupid, bad, or offensive to him just because he is a Host. “Do you sleep at all?” She courageously asked.

            Nichkhun turn his head and looks at her bluntly, knowing what she had in mind. “I do.” He gives her a short answered without looking away. Through her eyes, he sees mix emotions, so many that he can’t identify and puzzles him.  He know she wanted to know more about him, about the Host, but refrain herself back from asking him. “Host does sleep. We act or do the same things as human does. We feel pain. We get hurt. We do have emotions. We live for eternity if our soul is taken out of the human body before it die.” He answered all of her questions inside her head. “Is there anything else you want to ask or know about the Host?”

            It’s not the Host she wants to know about, but it’s him. She doesn’t know why, but she curious about him. He was different, different from the other Hosts she seen in her life or since her first mission. Just by looks of his eyes draws her in further. To her, it may be late to pull herself out. Could it be that he, a host who live in a human, really does have a heart. Or it’s just an illusion, her imagination? It can’t be answer…yet, but it will be answer soon.

            Sitting on the side, leaning against the rocky wall, the two of them sit under the full moon silently.

* * *

            The sun has rise, morning strike, and another day on the mission. Taecyeon and Wooyoung are already awaken and packing up, folding and wrapping up their sleeping bag. Yoona and Nana was the next to be awake from their sleep. They rubs their eyes, inhale and exhale deeply a couple times before they sit up and see others awake and stretching their arms. Nana looks to her right to check on Kahi, but she’s her not in her sleeping bag.

            “Kahi.” Nana quietly called her as she looks around the cave.

            “Where is Nichkhun?” Wooyoung asked Taecyeon.

            “I don’t know.” Taecyeon answered in a stonily tone.

            Nana worriedly jolts to her feet and rush out of the cave. Looking ahead of her first then left to right, she sees Kahi sleeping beside Nichkhun, who is sitting and awake.

            “Kahi.” Nana worriedly runs to her.

            Nana called wakes her from her sleep. Kahi looks up at a skinny yet model-like figure in front of her. “Nana.” She said in a sleepy tone.

            Nana angrily pouted at Nichkhun with her hands rest on her hip. “Yah! What did you do to my sister? Why did you make her sleep out here in the cold with you?” She said loudly.

            Nana loudly catches everybody attention. The first to run out of the cave was Wooyoung follow by Taecyeon, Yoona, Yuri, Chansung, Jun.K, Junho, and Jinwoon.

            “What hap…” Wooyoung went silent after seeing Nichkhun and Kahi sitting side by side. “Whoa, I hope nothing happen.” He jokingly said.

            Taecyeon elbow him at his arm and gave him an irritatedly looks.

            “I was just kidding.” Wooyoung whispered.

            Nichkhun did not answer her and stood. Kahi looks up at him before her eyes directs to Nana, who is still angry. She makes a movement, wanting to get up, but stop when she feels something wraps around her. It was his jacket. He must have wraps it around her when is fell sleep unknowingly beside him.

            “Yah! Did you take advantage of her? You better not.” Nana warned him.

            “Nothing happen.” Kahi said as she stands up and holds onto his jacket. “So don’t exaggerate.”

            Nana grabs Kahi left arm, “Sis, why are you with him?” She curiously asked.

            “I wanted to go check on him. I accidently slashes him when he saved me last night.” Said Kahi truthfully.

            “But you don’t have to spend the whole night out here with him.” Nana continues. “He’s a host.”

            “I know Nana.” Said Kahi.

            Taecyeon and Wooyoung walks up to Nichkhun after Nana pull Kahi aside.

            “We have to get the motorcycles, they won’t have enough room for us.” Said Taecyeon.

            Nichkhun glances at Kahi before answering him. “Let’s go.” Said Nichkhun.

            The three of them walks over to Chansung, notifying him before leaving.

            “Where going back to get our motorcycles, we’ve meet you north about a mile from here.” Said Wooyoung.

            “We can take you there.” Chansung offered.

            “I think it’s better if we go get them ourselves, you guys still have to pack up. Plus there’s some unfriendly and unwelcome face.” Said Taecyeon, aiming his words directly to Jinwoon.   

            “All right then, we’ll meet you over there shortly.” Said Chansung.

            After saying so, Nichkhun, Taecyeon, and Wooyoung left. Yoona, Nana, and Kahi baffle as they stand and watch them leaves. Kahi was still holding onto his jacket, she didn’t get a chance to return it to him and thank him once again.

            “Where are they going?” Jinwoon asked.

            “To go get their motorcycles.” Said Chansung. “We’re going to meet them there.”

            Jinwoon hissed, “Yeah right, like they’re going to wait for us. I bet they will leave once they get to their motorcycles.” He said in an unfriendly.

            “Would it kill you to look on the bright side for once. They help us last night.” Said Junho in an irritating tone.

            Jinwoon ignore him and walks back into the cave. Everybody head back inside the cave again and pack everything up and stacks the supplies in the trunk. Like yesterday, the same group in one vehicle and another in the other vehicle. Chansung and Jun.K press on the gas petal and drive north.

            Inside the car, Nana notice Kahi holding onto a male jacket. “ Who is that?” She asked.

            “It’s Nichkhun.” Kahi answered.

            “Why do you have his?”

            “I don’t know. He must have wrapped it around me last night after I fell asleep.” Kahi said as she looks at Nana. “He looks like a nice person.”

            Nana cutely yet guiltily pout. “What? I was just worried.” She said.

            Kahi smile and pinch her right cheek. “I know.”

            Nana cutely smiles to Kahi. Waiting on the side of the road, the group spotted the three of them sitting individually on their motorcycles with their helmet in their arms.

(Kawasaki Ninja 300):

b31b5040.jpg

            Chansung and Jun.K drove to the side and stop in front of them. Shifting the handle to the letter P, Chansung and Jun.K step out of the car.

            “Nice ride.” Jun.K praised as he check out the motorcycles. “Where did you get this rides?” Their motorcycles astounded him.

            “Just took a few from the Host territory.” Said Wooyoung happily.

            Jun.K raised his right hand up and give Wooyoung a brotherly high-five.

            “We’re going to take the short cut there.” Said Nichkhun in a dull tone.

            “All right, you lead the way. We’ll be right behind.” Said Chansung.

             Wooyoung nod except nod while Nichkhun and Taecyeon just give a seriously looks at their confirmation. Chansung and Jun.K head back to the vehicle. Kahi step out and walks up to Nichkhun and holds his jacket up to him.

            “Thank you.” Said Kahi.

            Nichkhun looks into her eyes as he takes back his jacket.

            “Kahi, come on back. We’re hitting the road again.” Nana shouted.

            Kahi shyly looks away, turn her body around, and walks back into the vehicle. Nichkhun put on his jacket before putting on his gloves and helmet. Taecyeon and Wooyoung put out a small container with two caps. They open it and put on the silver ring contact lenses before putting on their helmet and start the engine.

             “If something happen, keep driving, do not stop.” Taecyeon alert them in advance.

            Yoona didn’t get what he really meant by keep driving. Does he mean there will be trouble ahead of them? Or will the Host catch them? She doesn’t know, but it just worries her as she looks at him.

            “Just drive normal.” Taecyeon continues.

            The three of them slide the smoke visor down and firmly grabs onto their handles. Twisting it downward while holding on the brakes on the other side of the handles, the guys warming up their engine, pulling the brake holder up. They ride like the wind. Chansung and Jun.K press on the gas petal, following them closely.

            “, nice.” Junho praised.

            “Show off.” Jinwoon irritatedly said with his arm across.

            Nichkhun flash a quick look at Taecyeon and Wooyoung. The two of them curve outward and slows down; they stay behind Jun.K car.

            “They look pretty cool to me.” Said Yuri. “And a better fighter than you.”

            Jinwoon annoyingly looks out the windows. Following Nichkhun, Taecyeon, and Wooyoung for nearly six hours, they finally see the Chrome Walls. Indeed, it’s the short cut. If they were to take that other route, it would takes another eight to ten to make it to the Host territory. Nichkhun curve outward and slows down. He slides his visor up to communicate with Chansung.

            “Pull your windows up. Do not look out the window, just look straight and stay quiet.” Nichkhun instructed him.

            Chansung nod. Everybody roll up his or her window. Nichkhun pull hi visor down ad ride ahead of them again. Seeing Jun.K’s car windows still down, Taecyeon ride up to him.

            “Pull your window up.” He said loudly. “Stay still when we’re at the gate.”

            Jun.K nod and roll the windows up. Yoona watches him slow back down and stay behind them again. In fifteen minutes, they were at the gate, waiting in line to proceed into the Host city.

            Nichkhun, Taecyeon, and Wooyoung take off the helmet.

            “Name?” The Host asked.

            “Nichkhun.”

            “Taecyeon.”   

            “Wooyoung.”

            They say their name orderly. The host assistants hold the scanner stick and scan the motorcycle and the vehicles behind them.

            “Reason for being here?” The host asked.

            “Duty calls and deliver items to the supplies building.” Nichkhun answered.

            The host looks up at him, examining if he’s telling the truth or not.

            “How many people in the vehicles?” The host asked.

            “Eight.” Nichkhun said.

            The host turns their head to the vehicles.

            “It snitching on us out.” Jinwoon murmured.

            “Shut up.” Said Jun.K.

            The hosts walks pass the girls and scan the back of the car before reporting to the Chief Security Host.

            “All Clear.” Said one of the host assistants.

            The chief host rip a rectangle paper off his notepad and give it to Nichkhun. “You’re clear. Here is your pass.” The host handed it to Nichkhun.

            “Thank you.” Nichkhun take the pass and put it in his pocket.

            Nichkhun, Taecyeon, and Wooyoung put on their helmets and ride into the city along with the group. Nichkhun lead them to one of the non-security place and park. The three of them park by the wall, Chansung and Jun.K parked right beside them. Nichkhun, Taecyeon, and Wooyoung get off their motorcycles—open the seat—and put their helmet inside before closing the seat.

            “Welcome to the Host city guys.” Wooyoung happily said.

            “That was awesome.” Junho excitedly said. “While someone thought you guys were snitching on us.” Junho irritatedly glance at Jinwoon.

            “I can’t believe those contact lenses work.” Said Jun.K happily.

            Taecyeon and Wooyoung takes off the contact lenses and put it back in the container then into one of their pocket.

            “Nichkhun was the one that thought of it.” Wooyoung giving Nichkhun credits. 

            “What did they give you?” Kahi asked Nichkhun.

            “A pass.” He answered. “Outsider Host gets a pass to enter the city.”

            “Where are we by the way?” Chansung asked as he looks around. “Is it safe here?”

            “One of non-security place in the city.” Nichkhun answered as he takes off his motorcycle gloves. “We’re right behind the supplies building.

            “We better hurry up, sunset in a couple hours. The securities with tighten up.” Taecyeon warned them.

            “What? Really?” Jun.K and Junho shockingly look at him.

            “Just right over the wall.” Said Wooyoung with a cocky smile. He walks up to the wall—step on Taecyeon hands, Taecyeon help lift him up. Yoona and Nana cluelessly watches them, wondering what Wooyoung is picking at.

            “There are six guards.” Wooyoung reported. Taecyeon put him down.

            “Six guards?” Said Nichkhun in doubtful tones.

            “What’s wrong?” Chansung asked.

            “It’s less. Only six guard, this does not sound right.” Said Nichkhun.  

            “Anyway, the less people there is, the better it is for us.” Said Jun.K.

            “Jun.K and Junho will stay behind with Yuri. Once we get the stuff and throw it over the wall. You three start stacking it into the trunk.” Chansung instructed them. They nod.

            “You guys go first.” Said Jinwoon looking suspiciously at Nichkhun, Taecyeon, and Wooyoung.

            “You seriously have a lot of issue with us.” Said Wooyoung.

            “I don’t trust people on the first day or second.” Jinwoon said.  

            “Let’ go Wooyoung.” Said Taecyeon.

            Wooyoung ignore Jinwoon and turn his body 180 degree—jumping up and down a couple times—warming his body up. Jun.K and Junho have the hands out and ready to lift Wooyoung up. Wooyoung sprint to them—step on Jun.K hands first then Junho. The two of them give Wooyoung a boost over the wall follow by Nichkhun, Taecyeon, Chansung, Jinwoon, Kahi, Yoona, and Nana. By the time the girls got over the wall, they see the guys fighting with the Host. Yoona watches Taecyeon snap one of the hosts’ neck like nothing. Kahi watches Nichkhun stab two host forehead with its’ own weapon. Nana sees Wooyoung pushing a host back against the wall and pull the trigger of the gun a couple time, shooting at the host heart. The host fall to his need, Wooyoung hold the gun at his forehead and fire again. Chansung and Jinwoon finish off their enemy.

            “Wow, that was really fast.” Yoona said in an astound tone.

            “I know right.” Nana was just amazed by the guys abilities.

            The males search for the Blue tonic, but stop and take a few of their weapon before pouring Blue tonic over the host bodies. Nichkhun snatched one of the host card-pass before pouring the Blue tonic over the body. Nichkhun walks to the backdoor, but stop before scanning the card over the door card reader.

            “You guys grab whatever you need. Taecyeon and I will head to the securities room to deal with other host. Always be alert and stay away from the camera.” Nichkhun alerted them.

            They all nod. Nichkhun scan the host’s card over the door card reader, the door unlocks and opens. He pushes it forward and step into the building follow by others. Nichkhun make the first move, throwing a small dagger he took from the securities host he killed earlier. Taecyeon fires at other who runs to them. Wooyoung and Chansung shot the two cameras at the door. Once everybody is inside, they split into two groups.

            “Hurry, we don’t have mush time.” Nichkhun warned them. “They will be more coming.”

            One group, Kahi, Nana, Yoona, and Wooyoung head to the medical facilities and the other group, Chansung and Jinwoon went to the weaponize room. Nichkhun and Taecyeon run up to the fourth floor in the building and down to the end of the hall where the securities located. Taecyeon fiercely kicks the door open. Nichkhun immediately run to the nearest host—grab his arm back away from the weapon and swing a dagger at the heart then snap his head. Taecyeon point the gun at another host and shot him in the brain. Nichkhun walks to the camera screens and watches the Chansung and Jinwoon strolls to the weapon room while the ladies with Wooyoung heading to the medical room.

            “They’ve pressed it.” Taecyeon said as he looks at the red bulb flashing.

            Nichkhun switch it off, “This should by them a little more time before they become suspicious.” He looks back one of the screen, a screen to a room full of human lock in an ice-blue glass experiment tube. It is a test room where all human body is locks in a cold tube and place in the test room till it is needed. Suddenly, he sees Kahi standing in front of the room he’s looking at. “Why is she there?”  He keep staring at her as he thought deep trying to figure out why she’s there instead of being with her group.

 

To be continue………………………..