Amnesia

Writing Compilation

My heavy eyelids lifted to reveal light. I winced at the blinding welcome.

It felt as if it's been too long. 

Where was I? I scanned my surroundings while attempting to hoist myself upright. A single window was set into the cream wall beside me, its pale blue curtains drawn. 

My eyes surveyed my attire and the thin white sheets covering me, deducing that I was confined in a hospital ward. My hands found their way to the thin, cold metal of the bedframe as my gaze wandered to a digital clock on the desk beside me. I frowned. The small numbers below the time showed a five, followed by a fifteen. Fifteen May? Last I remembered, it was only the beginning of the month.

My eyes widened at my thoughts. Last I remembered?

Who was I, anyway? 

Pain rose to my head and my hand flew to my temples, massaging them to ease the dull ache. When I tried to recall how others addressed me, or any faces at the back of my head, it came down to a big, fat blank. My grip on the metal tightened, panic flooding into every pore in my body.

The door at a corner of the room swung open, its hinges groaning softly in protest. It revealed a man, tall and fair. My eyes skimmed across, unintentionally giving him a quick once-over. Decked in a purple hoodie and black jeans was a figure, and a pretty good looking one at that. No sooner had he caught sight of me did he rush over to me, hurriedly pulling his headphones down to his shoulders.

"You're awake!" he exclaimed, eyes shooting wide open and lips curving into a wide grin.

His smile had dissipated as rapidly as it had spread; a worried frown in its absence.

"L-love? You don't remember, do you?"

I squeezed my vocal chords, throat burning as I mustered the only words I could think of.

"I-I'm sorry."