Just a Glimpse

Writing Compilation

I'm slouching in my seat, the mechanical groaning of the vehicle loud in my ear. It momentarily halts, as the slim double doors swing open, parallel to the walls of its long torso. The doors return with a whine, as if unhappy to seal the company it has in its belly, a contrasting chime coupled the action while I stared out the wide window. I clench my fist; straining to maintain the emotion upon my countenance.

The sky seems like a broken faucet today; the clouds have buckled and given way. I try to find a smile, but it seems it's already far out of my reach. Water is dripping gloomily onto the glass pane, akin to my mood.

My body gives an involuntary shiver, and I hunch over, tugging onto the lapels of my coat to wrap it tighter around me. A stinging sensation shoots up my eyes, and I swallow hard.

I miss your little whispers of assurance.

Your hugs.

Your smile.

No.

No, I can't be like this. I finally got out of the house, I can't crumble to pieces now.

I push a pair of buds into my ears, filling the void inside me with familiar beats and lyrics, in an attempt to drown the nagging from within. Why do I feel so empty? I squeeze my eyes together, willing myself to forget the painfully glaring answer: you.

Just a glimpse — please. That's all I need, before I erase you from my life completely.

The bell chimes — the signal for my stop.

I look up, and my prayer is answered.

I am graced by the sight of you. Your figure, in a maroon hoodie, is standing in the distance, warding off the pour from above with an umbrella — one I had given you. It's all too soon for my lodged memories to return from the door I had sealed shut. Once more, you disappear without warning, just around the corner with another girl by your side.

A million emotions surge from within, but I can only bring myself to blink my tears back with a bitter smile. I had promised myself after all.

Just one glimpse. That was all I allowed.

 

~

 

Edited on 14/07/14 for You Are A Star One Shot Writing Contest

Edited on 30/03/15.