The Beginning

Can I Have Your Heart?

Nichkhun never believed in love at the first sight. First, maybe because he didn’t really experienced it before and second, he thought that to fall in love, it took generous amount of time. Because really—how could a person just fell in love the second their eyes met, who knew—the person they fell in love with was a bad person. Wouldn’t that break their heart?

He shook his head at the battle inside his head. He’s having this fight with himself since he argued with his best friend, who told him that he had fallen in love with a guy. No, it’s not the problem of the gender of the person, it’s the matter that Taecyeon just saw this random guy on the college street and decided that he loved him. Nichkhun was far than agreeing, or supporting his friend.

“What if, the guy you saw is a bad guy?”

Taecyeon scowled at him, stuffing mouthful of noodles into his mouth, chewing rapidly and opened his mouth to reply.

“How can you say that? You saw him, how can Minjun be a bad guy?”

“I didn’t mean it like that,” Nichkhun paused, and grimaced when the café was too noisy for his own hearing. “I didn’t mean that he would kill someone, or rob or whatsoever. How did you know he’s a gay? Maybe he got a boyfriend on his own and he just wants to play with your heart?”

Something’s changed in Taecyeon’s eyes and he instantly knew that he had said too much.

“Thanks for the support dude.”

Taecyeon stood up to leave and Nichkhun quickly grabbed his arm with pleading eyes.

“Look, I’m sorry. Stay, please?”

They exchanged a longer stare before Taecyeon sighed in defeat and sat back at his place. Feeling bad that he just hurt Taecyeon with his words, Nichkhun offered him a small smile.

“I’m sorry for my words. I take them back. Maybe the problem is with me, not you, or him. So, when I will be able to meet this love of yours?”

He teased, hoping the atmosphere wouldn’t be as tense as before and sighed in relief when Taecyeon grinned widely. He grabbed his phone and shoved it right in front of his face.

“Look! I got his phone number already!”

Taecyeon beamed and Nichkhun sat there, listening to his babbles about Minjun, the one Taecyeon fell in love with.  When his friend stopped praising and cooing this Minjun guy, Nichkhun couldn’t help but feeling worried. What if, Minjun broke his heart one day? Taecyeon was one of his closest friend and he certainly didn’t want him to come over in midnight crying his heart out.

“You seriously need to calm down,”

Taecyeon’s voice was smooth and full of gentleness. He looked up and blinked confusedly.

“What?”

“This phobia of yours. You need to calm down. I’m sure he’s not going to hurt me.”

“How—”

“How did I know, right? It just—when you fell in love, you will get this feeling and you will know whether he was the one for you or not. I know you won’t understand it now, but maybe someday—when you feel it yourself. When you fall in love with someone at the first sight, then you will understand what I’m talking about.”

Nichkhun hoped it would happen, because he wanted to know what Taecyeon was talking about. But then, he wished it wouldn’t happen, mostly because he was afraid—afraid to trust, afraid to love.