It’s possible

I Only Want You

“Eun Gi-ya” A familiar voice caught Eun Gi’s attention. She turned her head and surprisingly saw her mother smiling

“Eomma? Is that you?” She ran and hugged her.

“My daughter Eun Gi, I know you’ve been through a lot.” She lovingly Eun Gi’s hair. Being in her mother’s comforting embrace, Eun Gi sobbed like a child.

“Eomma, I’m sorry, I’ve been a bad girl. I’m so sorry.” She cried.

“Hush now my dear. You know I love you no matter what.”

“But the things I did are unforgivable, I’ve hurt the only man I love and even our innocent baby.”

“I know you did all of those because you were also hurt, but Eun Gi, this is not you. Remember when you were little? You were my sweet angel, and you love everyone around you.”

“I guess it was also my fault that our Eun Gi’s suffering like this.” Another familiar voice was heard.

“Appa” Eun Gi softly muttered.

“I’m very sorry Eun Gi-ya, I was not a good father to you and I made you into a stone. Please forgive me”

Eun Gi released herself from her mother’s embrace and wrapped her arms around her father.

“Appa, I love you and I forgive you.” The man also shed tears upon hearing his dear daughter’s sincere words.

“Thank you Eun Gi-ya. Always remember that your eomma and I love you so much. We might not be with you physically, but know that we’re always guiding you. We’re also at peace knowing that Maru loves you very much.” Eun Gi felt a stab on her heart with the mention of Maru’s name.

“But Maru may not love me anymore after everything I did.”

“That’s impossible. It’s not too late to fix things and start over again.” His father warmly smiled at her. Then Eun Gi felt someone tug her skirt, when she turned to see who it was, her eyes fell on a little boy with an angelic face. She studied the little boy’s face as if recalling if she has met him before. His eyes, nose and lips were too familiar, and it suddenly hit her, she definitely looked like Maru. Eun Gi’s heart skipped a beat when the little boy smiled and called her,

“Eomma”

---

Eun Gi slowly opened her eyes and the first thing she saw was Maru’s sullen face.

“Maru-sshi” she called but he didn’t respond.

“Maru-sshi, what happened?” Eun Gi was starting to worry

“Kang Maru, I’m asking you, what happened?” Tears were staring to form from the corner of her eyes.

Finally Maru spoke with a piercing look,

“Is this your way of taking revenge on me? Killing my baby?!”

Eun Gi couldn’t believe her ears, she held her breath and felt her heart stop.

“My baby?” she uttered as a tear flowed from her eye.

“You didn’t want our baby anyway, right? You’re just using the baby for your revenge on me. Fortunately, but unfortunately for you, the baby is still alive.” Finally Eun Gi was able to breathe when she learned that her baby is safe. She lifted her hand and placed it on her abdomen, unconsciously a smile formed on her face.

“Is this part of your act? You don’t have to, I think I already know you too well.” Maru coldly said.

Eun Gi felt insulted with Maru’s statement, but she knew that deserved it. Remembering her father’s words through her dream, Eun Gi now didn’t know how to start fixing things. She still couldn’t forgive herself for what she has done, she knew that her child doesn’t deserve her as a mother because she doesn’t even know how to be like one.

It took quite a while before she could answer. She wiped a tear from her face, and deeply inhaled as if to gather all her strength.

“After I give birth, you could take the baby with you.” She then lifted her face to meet Maru’s gaze.

“You asked me to stop all these, so I decided to grant your wish. Let’s end this. As soon as I get discharged from the hospital I will leave your house, and I’ll let you know once the baby is born.”

“Do you understand what you’re saying?”

“Of course, from the beginning we were already fooling ourselves, as I see it, it’s not even love. So let us just stop everything.” Eun Gi firmly said.

Maru scoffed, “You’re unbelievable Seo Eun Gi” and left the room with a heavy heart.

Eun Gi sighed as she saw Maru leave the room. Placing both her hands on top of her abdomen, she lightly caressed it.

“I’m very happy to know that you’re safe. It was you right? The little boy in my dream? You look so much like your appa.” Eun Gi smiled remembering the little boy’s face, “I’m very sorry my baby, but I have to do this. You don’t deserve to have a bad eomma like me. I want you to receive all the love that you could have, but how can I give you that if I don’t even love myself? I’m so sorry for realizing just now that I love you very much my dear baby. How I wish we could be together. Please forgive me if I have to leave you and your appa. But my heart is full of hurts, and I don’t know how long or if it will ever heal. I’m so sorry for letting vengeance win over me, for letting all these happen. I’m so sorry.” Drops of tears fell on the blanket as Eun Gi sobbed in grief.

---

Eun Gi was discharged from the hospital a few days after, and was advised to take a month of bed rest. True to her word, Eun Gi indeed decided to leave Maru’s place. Right after her discharge from the hospital, she asked Secretary Hyun if she could stay at her place. Maru never said a word during their parting, his longing eyes were only fixed on his wife. Eun Gi, on the other hand, didn’t want to look at him, because if she did, she might just crumble and retract her previous decision. But as she rode Joon Ha’s car, she turned her head towards the tinted windows and saw Maru standing there with an emotionless face.

Later that night, Maru entered the house and saw Jae Gil and Choco patiently waiting for him in the receiving area.

“Ya, Kang Maru, care to explain what just happened?” Jae Gil used to call Maru by his full name when he’s serious.

“Oppa, I knew something was up between the two of you. Why didn’t you ask for our help?” Choco said in concern as she held his brother’s hands.

“Eun Gi got her memories back” Maru plainly answered

“Mwo???” The two exclaimed in unison

“I can’t believe this, so that’s why she didn’t come home with you. She must be very angry –“ Jae Gil was interrupted with Choco’s nudge on his side.

“Ottoke, oppa, I understand how you’re feeling right now.” She hugged his brother, “But you need to rest for now. Why don’t you go up while I fix you some food?” Maru just nodded and went upstairs as he was told.

“Ya, you should have just let him stay here or in your room! He will just see Eun Gi’s things there!” Jae Gil scolded Choco. “Oh my! Miane!” she scratched her head.

Maru reached their room, flashes of their confrontation went to his mind. He closed his eyes in the hope of erasing the images in his head, but to no avail. He finally reached the bed, but he just saw their wedding picture on the lampstand. He took it but eventually placed it down. Maru laid on the bed only to smell Eun Gi’s sweet scent on the pillow. She was the reason for his every breath, and now that’s she’s gone, Maru doesn’t seem to have any will to live.

---

“Thank you for the food Choco, you’re really improving.” Maru weakly smiled as he finished the meal Choco prepared for him. Despite the deep hurt he was feeling, he still tried to act normal in front of his sister and his bestfriend.

“Ya, I bought some drinks, want to share it with me?” Jae Gil offered.

The two men sat on the porch, Jae Gil already finished four bottles of soju while Maru only had two.

“Jae Gil-ya” Maru placed his hand on his bestfriend’s shoulder

“Have I ever told you that I thank you for staying with me?” Maru grinned.

“Only you, among all people stayed with me through thick and thin. Great, huh? You were able to stand this bastard Kang Maru.” He scoffed and paused for a moment. “Bastard, that’s what Eun Gi called me. I deserve it right? She should really hate me for everything I did to her. I know I could take any word that she’d throw at me. But, I think I cannot take being away from her.” One by one, tears started to trickle from Maru’s eyes. “After the accident, I waited for her to return, and she did. We dreamt together and cherished each other’s presence. When I open my eyes in the morning, she’s there, and even at night all I see is her smile. I was happy because for once I got what I wanted.” Maru’s voice was cracking as he was struggling to say each word. Jae Gil lifted his hand to firmly hold Maru’s hand placed on his shoulder.

“You know what she told me? She said that she’ll give me the baby and leave afterwards. How could she do that? How could she even think of leaving our baby? She must really loathe me to abandon our family. Well, I guess life has always been unfair for me, for the bastard Kang Maru.” Now Maru broke down and sobbed like a child. With teary eyes, Jae Gil wrapped his arm around his bestfriend and allowed him to cry on his shoulders.

A few feet away from them, Choco was overhearing their conversation. She was in tears herself. Her heart broke upon hearing his brother’s resentments. Never had she seen Maru like this, and that alone stabbed her heart.

---

On the other side of Seoul, Eun Gi was sitting on the bed and staring blankly at the wall while caressing her abdomen. Secretary Hyun then entered the room holding a tray with a cup of milk on it.

“Director, the doctor said that you have to increase your nutrient intake.” She said as she held the cup to Eun Gi.

“Honestly Director, I was elated when I learned about your pregnancy. A baby could bring immense joy to anyone. ” Secretary Hyun smilingly said as she watched Eun Gi drink her milk. Without saying a word, Eun Gi finished her drink and placed the cup on the tray. Secretary Hyun was about to leave Eun Gi’s side when she felt a hand hold her wrist.

“Am I a bad person?” Eun Gi’s question took Secretary Hyun aback.

“Why are you saying that Director?”

“Tell me, am I a bad person?”

“Everyone is born good, but certain things happen that leads one into straying away from the right path.” Secretary Hyun calmly explained.

“So I am like that? I chose the wrong path, and that makes me a bad person.” Eun Gi acknowledged her wrongdoings.

“I’m a bad person. I thought that my revenge on Maru will bring me joy and satisfaction, but it only brought me misery. I thought appa will be happy if I do this, but why is my heart saying otherwise? I hurt the only man I love, and I even placed my own child’s life in danger. I cannot become a good wife, more so a good mother.” A tear flowed from Eun Gi’s eye at the mention of her child.

“And that’s why I decided to leave my child with Maru. I don’t deserve them, I don’t deserve to be happy because I’m a bad person.” Secretary Hyun gathered Eun Gi in an embrace and soothed her like a child.

“You just have to forgive yourself first before forgiving others” Secretary Hyun whispered and as she Eun Gi’s hair. Eun Gi felt helpless as she poured out her heart to her loyal assistant, who she now considers as a good friend.

---

The morning after, Eun Gi was reading a book on baby names when she heard someone calling out her name from the outside. She peeked through the window and saw Choco at the gate.

“Please don’t make a scene here. Eun Gi is currently resting, so please don’t bother her.” Secretary Hyun calmly faced Choco.

“She’s my unnie, so I have the right to visit her right? Let me in, I want to talk to her!” Choco insisted.

“Sorry but-“ Secretary Hyun’s phone suddenly rang, she picked it up and heard Eun Gi’s voice on the other line.

Secretary Hyun closed the door as she left Choco and Eun Gi inside the room.

“Annyeong” Eun Gi greeted Choco with a weak smile. Choco pouted and glared at Eun Gi in return.

“How are you Choco? What brings you here?”

“Ya! Won’t you even ask how my oppa is doing? Do you think you’re the only one having a hard time? My oppa is in a miserable state because of you!” Eun Gi frowned upon hearing Maru’s name.

“I know he did a lot of bad things in the past, but please realize that he’s truly sorry for everything. I have never seen him so devastated like that, not even when Jae Hee left him and he went to jail.”

“Sorry Choco, but I cannot do anything about that.” Eun Gi plainly said

“What do you mean? He’s experiencing this all because of you! Please unnie, forgive my brother, do it not for him, but for your baby.”

Eun Gi sighed, “Your brother already knows my decision, and I’m sticking with it no matter what. You’re like a real sister to me Choco, so please let us not be like this. You can visit me whenever you want, but please don’t push me to doing something that my will cannot.”

“Alright, I think I won’t get anything from you anyway. Sorry for bothering you. Take care of yourself and of your baby. I might not be able to visit you again.” Choco walked out of the room leaving a disheartened Eun Gi. She already lost her husband, and now she lost her sister, how can her day be any worst.

---

“Thank you, I’m relieved to know that she’s doing well. Her next appointment with the doctor is scheduled next week right? Arasso, please update me. I very much appreciate your help.” Maru hung up after talking with Secretary Hyun. It’s been almost a month since Eun Gi left their house, and he has been in constant communication with Secretary Hyun. He still wanted to know everything that Eun Gi is doing, if she’s eating her meals well, taking her vitamins on time, and even if her morning sickness has worsen. Every evening Maru would secretly drive through Secretary Hyun’s neighborhood and halt the car on the corner to gaze at Eun Gi’s window even for a while. I miss you so much Seo Eun Gi. Please take good care of yourself and our baby. Let me stay here near you just for a couple more minutes.

The only people in Taesan who knew about Eun Gi and Maru’s separation were Secretary Hyun and Joon Ha. They were trying their best to keep it from the people, especially from Jae Hee and Min Young. If they knew, they would surely take it against Maru. How far they will be able to hide this, they do not know.

---

Another night without Eun Gi, and Maru felt his heart dying by the minute. Usually he will view the pictures and videos taken during their wedding and honeymoon to ease his longings.  But this particular night was different. He felt that he had to do something, anything, to be with Eun Gi. And so, he raced out to his car and drove his way despite the hard rain.

He was only half a kilometer away from his destination when his car suddenly stopped. Maru tried to revive the engine to no avail. Out of desperation, he went out and ran through the quiet streets.

Eun Gi and Secretary Hyun were peacefully having tea at the receiving area when they heard the doorbell.

“Who could be coming at this hour?” Eun Gi asked.

“Attorney Joon Ha didn’t mention that he’d be coming over tonight. Let me check.” Secretary Hyun took her umbrella and headed out for the gate. She opened it and to her surprise, Maru was standing in front of her soaking wet. Before she could say anything, Maru interrupted her.

“I need to see Eun Gi. Please let me see her.” He said while chilling from the rain.

“But she doesn’t want to see you. So please leave Maru before you get sick.”

“No I won’t leave until I talk to her!” Secretary Hyun was firm on her decision not to let Maru see Eun Gi, but her head turned as they heard Eun Gi’s voice from behind.

“Secretary Hyun, who is it?” Eun Gi’s eyes widened as she saw Maru only a few meters away from her.

“Director, you might get a cold, let’s come inside”

“You can go ahead, I think I know what he needs” Secretary Hyun was reluctant, but eventually abided Eun Gi’s order.

She went near Maru and covered him with her umbrella. Their eyes met and they could clearly see each other’s agony. They remained like that for quite a while, as if reading each other’s thoughts through their eyes. Until Maru broke the silence.

“You told me before that you want to see me every day, to say ‘I love you’ every day, and hear me say that I love you in return. To dream the same dream, give birth to our children, raise them and grow old with me. You asked me if that was possible, and I was not able to tell you my answer. Now, let me be the one to ask you, is it possible? Can we start anew and live each day cherishing each other? Can we build a warm and secure family? Is that possible Seo Eun Gi?”

Tears began to flow from the couple’s eyes. Maru then lifted his hand to wipe Eun Gi’s tears. Feeling Maru’s touch, Eun Gi felt warmth in her heart. She remembered every detail of her confession in the rain, and she can’t believe that Maru is the one doing at the moment. Eun Gi likewise lifted her hand to wipe Maru’s tears. There was no need for words as they already understood what this simple gesture meant. A warm smile was visible on each other’s lips as they closed their gap for a kiss. Their lips moved in sync naturally as they could feel their hearts beat as one. After what seemed like forever, they broke the kiss and gathered each other for a tight embrace.

Yes its possible, Eun Gi answered in her thoughts. 

 

*******

Hello chingus! I hope this chapter somehow eased the heartbreak caused by my previous chapter. :) As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)

 

P.S. Sorry if there are some grammatical or mechanical errors, it's quite late and I just want to post this tonight before I leave for the whole weekend. Don't worry I'll do the necessary revisions when I get back. :)