This can't be!

I Only Want You

“Welcome back!!!” Choco and Jae Gil cheerfully greeted the couple with party poppers as they entered the house.

Their house was rearranged to accommodate the newly-wed couple. Choco moved her things to Maru’s former room, so her brother and sister-in-law could have the second floor all for themselves.

Choco hugged Eun Gi, “Unnie, I’m so glad you’re back, it’s hard to be the only girl in the house. Jae Gil has been pestering me while we were moving the furniture.” She pouted and glanced at Jae Gil who was scratching his head, “Ya, I just wanted to make everything perfect when they arrive.” He defended.

Eun Gi chuckled, “Thank you very much to the both of you, we could have not done it easily without your help.” “You’re most welcome unnie, come, I’ll show you your newly-arranged room!” Choco held Eun Gi’s hand as they made way to the second floor. Eun Gi glanced at Maru and gave him an affirming look, as if saying I’ll be back. Maru smiled in response and his eyes followed her disappearing figure.

“Aigoo, look at you,  looks like you’re in cloud 9! So, how was it?” Jae Gil teased. Maru questioningly looked at Jae Gil, “What do you mean?” he asked. “Ya, don’t come clean with me imma, you know what I’m talking about! By the looks of it, the two of you had such a great time!”, “Silly! It’s none of your business!” Maru answered back, he then smiled as he remembered every moment they spent together in Jeju Island.

He was grateful that Eun Gi didn’t see him cringing in pain during that morning when he had an attack. Maru managed to lock himself in the bathroom when Eun Gi entered the room to check on him.

“Maru-sshi, I think I heard you from the kitchen. Are you alright? Is there something wrong?” Eun Gi worriedly asked as she knocked on the door.

“Yes, it’s just that the bathroom floor is slippery that I almost fell. Don’t worry, I’ll be out shortly. Wait for me outside.” Maru was firmly holding onto the sink while he was explaining to Eun Gi. His voice was trembling in pain, but he still managed to calmly answer Eun Gi.

“Arasso, I’m just in the kitchen if you need anything.” When Maru heard their bedroom door close, he instantly fell on the bathroom floor. Tears fell from his eyes as he thought of the possibility that he’ll leave his beautiful wife alone. For the first time, he feared for their future.

---

Choco and Eun Gi were happily preparing dinner while the guys were chatting in the living room. Maru shifted his gaze to check on his wife. The view of Eun Gi contentedly doing his wifely duties made Maru’s heart fonder. Coincidentally, Eun Gi turned her head and met Maru’s gaze. Both mouthed "I love you" and lovingly smiled at each other.

After dinner the couple were in the living room browsing through a magazine while having tea. Eun Gi’s head was resting on Maru’s shoulder, while Maru’s arm was around Eun Gi’s waist. While reading, they stumbled upon an article that featured Jae Hee and her achievements as Taesan’s president.

“Secretary Hyun called me earlier, she said that my condition will be discussed in the upcoming board meeting. Honestly, I’m quite scared. “ Eun Gi confessed. Maru then lifted her chin to face him. “Don’t be. We’re now married, thus, we now share the same authority over the company. Like what I said before, just stay behind me, and I will do the fighting.” Eun Gi gave a weak smile and embraced Maru.

“Unnie, I just got a call from an agency and they’re inviting me for an audition tomorrow. The problem is I don’t know what outfit to wear. Can you help me, please?” Choco pouted when she went out of her room.

“Sure no problem” Eun Gi responded with a smile, “You go ahead to our room, we won’t take long. Wait for me” Eun Gi whispered the latter to Maru, which made him grin.

While Eun Gi was assisting Choco, Jae Gil took the opportunity to talk with Maru regarding his impending surgery.

“Ya, when do plan to tell them about your illness? We have no time. You have to undergo the surgery as soon as possible.” Jae Gil worriedly said.

“Don’t worry, I’m just waiting for the right chance.” Maru was trying to act cool about his condition, but deep inside, he was also anxious as to how he will reveal his condition to Eun Gi and Choco. He’s usually the one watching over them, how will he manage to tell them the possible outcomes of the surgery? He can’t bear to see them hurting because of him.

----

The following day, Maru and Eun Gi decided to return and settle things in Taesan. They were greeted by the employees as soon as they entered the building. Some were happy to see the newly-wed couple holding each other’s hands as they walked through the halls. But some were still skeptic about them, particularly about Maru’s intention for marrying Eun Gi.

The couple was on their way to Eun Gi’s office when they chanced upon Jae Hee and Min Young.

“I see that you’re back. How was your trip?” Jae Hee coldly asked.

“We had a great time. Thank you for handling things while we were away.” Eun Gi answered. The atmosphere was very awkward, that both parties just wanted the conversation to end.

“That’s good to know. As what we’ve discussed before, Secretary Hyun and Attorney Park were taking care of the issues regarding your condition. I also tried to help them, but the board members were too persistent. They wanted it hear it straight from you. I believe you were already informed about this. The meeting will be in a week’s time. “

“Yes, I’ll prepare for it. Thank you and please excuse us, we have to settle some things.” Eun Gi ended the conversation. As they passed by Jae Hee and Min Young, Maru gave a piercing look at Jae Hee and Min Young, as if warning them not to mess up with Eun Gi.

---

“Here are some documents that you may use for the board meeting. I also made a script as to how you will answer the board members’ questions regarding your condition and eligibility as Taesan’s director.” Joon Ha handed over the documents to Eun Gi and Maru.

“This will go just fine. You’re good at memorizing, so don’t worry.” Maru commented while going through the files. Eun Gi smiled in response to her husband.

“Thank you for all of these. I’ll carefully study everything. After this issue, I would like to ask for your assistance, it’s about my accident a year ago.” This statement caught Maru and Joon Ha off guard.

“What about it director?” Joon Ha asked as he was trying to hide his nervousness.

“Well, the police reports said that I crashed into another vehicle that day. I’ve been wondering, what happened to the driver of the other vehicle? I feel guilty because I was the one who changed lanes, I am the one to blame for the incident.” Maru stared at Eun Gi in shock, he suddenly felt cold, it’s as if he’s losing all the blood in his body.

“The other driver, she quickly recovered from the accident and is now leaving abroad. The company compensated her well, so you don’t have to feel guilty about it.” Joon Ha lied.

Eun Gi gave him a questioned look, her memories from the accident were vague, but the other driver didn’t look like a woman. But then again, Joon Ha must be telling the truth, why would he even lie to me? Eun Gi told to herself.

Maru was staring blankly at Eun Gi the whole time. There were only a few times that he could not think straight, and this was one of those. His conscience and feelings for Eun Gi were once again fighting; he didn’t want to lose Eun Gi, but he also didn’t want to deprive her of the truth. He was just waiting for her memories to return, then he’ll explain to her everything. He didn’t see this coming.

“Maru-sshi, what’s the matter? You don’t look well.” Eun Gi placed a hand on Maru’s forehead when she noticed her husband’s paleness.

“I’m alright, it must be the lack of sleep. Um, about your accident, like what Attorney Park said, you neither have to worry nor feel guilty about it. It was only an accident, the important thing is you’re both alive.” Maru explained, careful with every word he said. Eun Gi weakly smiled in response, she appreciated their efforts to comfort her, but she felt that something was still missing. She has to know whatever it may cost.

---

“Are you ready?” Maru tucked a hair behind Eun Gi’s ear.

“Yes, I have a good tutor that’s why I’m confident to face the board members.” Eun Gi smiled lovingly at her husband.

“Kurae, I’ll just ask for your payment later. You better head off to the car, I just need to use the bathroom.”

It’s been 30 minutes since Maru asked Eun Gi to wait in the car, but he still hasn’t come out of their house. This was very unlikely of Maru because he’s always the one who insisted them to leave for work early. Eun Gi was growing worried, so she entered their house and went to their room. Upon opening the door, she found an unconscious Maru on the floor.

“Maru-shhi! Kang Maru!” Eun Gi called Maru’s name over and over, but there was no response.

---

“The hemorrhage in his brain has worsen, seems like he has not been visiting his doctor, that’s why his condition was not monitored.” The doctor in the emergency room explained to Eun Gi. She was perplexed, Maru looked very healthy, he didn’t even mention anything about his illness.

“Jae Gil, do you know anything about Maru’s illness?” Eun Gi anxiously asked.

Jae Gil was very reluctant to answer Eun Gi because he knew for a fact that the hemorrhage was caused by the accident where the couple was involved.

“Well, Maru got into an accident some years ago. He didn’t know about the illness only recently.” Jae Gil nervously explained. Eun Gi’s eyes grew wide in shock, “Why didn’t he tell me about it? I’m his wife! I could have helped him with it early on!” “It’s not what you think Eun Gi, Maru only wanted to fix your dilemma first. He’s more concerned of your welfare.” Jae Gil tried to calm her down, but it seemed that his explanation only made the situation worst. Eun Gi went outside to gather her thoughts. She felt guilty because Maru did everything for her welfare, and even placed his own needs aside.

She returned to the hospital and found Maru peacefully sleeping. Eun Gi went beside his hospital bed. She  leaned to caress Maru’s face and kiss him on the forehead. “My dear husband, this time, let me take care of you. Saranghae” Tears instantly fell from Eun Gi’s eyes.

---

Eun Gi opened the lights in their bedroom. She asked Jae Gil and Choco to look after Maru while she went home to gather some clothes and other necessities for her husband. While looking for some files that the hospital may need, she came across an unlabeled green folder. She opened it, and after reading its content, the folder fell from Eun Gi’s hands. She fell to her knees in shock; the document read:

Accident Report

Driver 1: Seo Eun Gi

Driver 2: Kang Maru

As if on cue, every missing memory flowed into Eun Gi’s head like a rushing river.  She felt the earth crashing down upon her. She placed her hand on her chest as she felt the throbbing pain in her heart.

This can’t be!

****

Here's the update dearies! Hope you liked it, even though I had to make our couple suffer. :p Please do leave a word or two. :D