I Would

I Only Want You

Two red lines

Positive

I’m pregnant

Eun Gi stared at her reflection in the mirror, dumbfounded at what she just learned. She was past a week late in her period when the thought caught her. She felt stupid, how could she be so careless? Now with another life growing inside her, how would she pursue her plans? Think, Seo Eun Gi, think! One hand was gripping onto the sink while the other was tightly holding the pregnancy test kit. Her thoughts were disrupted when a knock on the bathroom door was heard.

 “Eun Gi-ya? Breakfast is ready.” Maru called out to her. She was startled upon hearing his voice.

“Arasso, you go ahead, I’ll just follow.” she said trying to keep her voice from shaking. She looked at her reflection one last time and inhaled deeply before opening the door.

During breakfast Maru noticed Eun Gi’s lack of appetite, she wasn’t being her cheerful self either.

“Eun Gi-ya, why aren’t you eating? Don’t you like the food? Choco specially prepared it, right Choco?”

“Yeah, unnie, oppa and Jae Gil like it, so that must taste really good!”

“It does taste good Choco. But I’m probably just experiencing some stomach bug, or something.” Eun Gi weakly responded, this made Maru more worried.

“Yes, you don’t look well. Just wait here while I get some medicine in our room, okay?” Maru patted Eun Gi’s arm before heading to their room. Eun Gi then remembered that their medicine kit was in the bathroom!

Maru entered their bathroom and opened the cabinet in search for the medicine kit. While looking through the pile of medicines in the box, he suddenly noticed a white plastic stick near the sink. Out of curiosity, he picked it up and his eyes grew in shock upon seeing that it was a pregnancy test kit, more so, it read a positive result!

“Maru-sshi” he heard Eun Gi from the other side of the room. Maru went out of the bathroom holding the test kit, he showed it to Eun Gi, and with a serious tone he asked,

“This is a pregnancy test kit, and it has a positive result. Does it mean?”

“Yes, I’m pregnant” Eun Gi gulped after barely saying those three words. Maru’s serious expression was suddenly replaced with a beaming smile. “Cheongmal? We’re going to have a baby?” he gathered Eun Gi in a tight hug.

“I can’t believe this, you’re pregnant, and I’m going to be a father.” Tears were forming in Maru’s eyes.

Eun Gi raised her arms to hug him back, “Yes, congratulations Kang Maru, you’re going to be a father soon.”

“I’m overjoyed, we just agreed about this before my surgery, and now, it’s really happening! We’re going to be a very happy family, I assure you that Eun Gi-ya. Saranghae” Maru sweetly kissed Eun Gi on the lips and bent down to place a chaste kiss on Eun Gi’s still flat abdomen. “As for you little one, I love so much already. Appa is very excited to meet you.” Maru stood up and once again embraced his loving wife.

Just as I thought my plans would be destroyed, this situation just added more spice into it. You’re so clever Seo Eun Gi.

Eun Gi grinned as she remembered leaving the pregnancy test kit on purpose for Maru to see.

---

“Ya, imma, we just had breakfast, why are you cooking?” Jae Gil had a questioning look on his face while scratching his head.

“It’s for Eun Gi, she was not able to eat well during breakfast, so I’m cooking her favorite lappoki.” Maru answered with a wide smile on his face.

“You could have just ordered it outside, it would be faster.”

“Anneyo, I want to cook for my expecting wife.” Jae Gil was taken aback with Maru’s words

“Expecting? You mean?” a wide smile was also creeping on Jae Gil’s face. Maru smirked then turned off the stove, “Choco-ya! Please call your unnie upstairs and tell her that food is ready.”

Maru placed the pot on the table and started scooping for Eun Gi. The four of them were once again seated on the dining area.

“Hm, this smells nice!”  Eun Gi exclaimed.

“This is all for you, remember I don’t want you to get hungry.” Maru picked up the chopsticks, blew on the hot lappoki and was about to feed his wife. Eun Gi blushed at Maru’s display of affection in front of Jae Gil and Choco. Both were giddy with the couple’s sweetness.

“You don’t have to be shy unnie, just enjoy yourselves.” Choco smiled.

“Ya, so you two, I believe you have an announcement to make.” Jae Gil excitingly said.

“Well, actually, Eun Gi’s not experiencing a stomach bug. She’s actually – “ Maru was smiling while eyeing on Eun Gi as if asking for her consent to continue. Eun Gi smiled and raised her brow in return.

“She’s actually pregnant with our child. Would you believe that?” Maru finally dropped the bomb, which expectedly brought made the two shriek in happiness.

“You’re so lucky imma! You survived your surgery, and now you’re having a baby. Way to go!” Jae Gil wrapped his arm around Maru.

“Wow! A baby! That’s so great! Congratulations to the both of you!” Choco ran to the other side of the table and hugged Eun Gi. “Unnie, if it’s a girl, I will braid her hair like mine, and even teach her how to sing!”

“Choco-ya, if it’s a boy I will teach him how to play football and dance!” Jae Gil proudly said.

“Mwo? You’re not even good at those!” Choco answered back, which made the couple laugh.

“Come on you two, it’s too early to tell. We could continue with our celebration later, but for now, let me feed my wife and our growing baby, arasso?” Maru picked up the chopsticks and continued feeding Eun Gi. He could not be happier, now the love of his life is carrying their child, he could not ask for more.

---

“President, I heard that Team Leader Kang will return to Taesan soon, and I guess he will be attending today’s board meeting.” Min Young informed Jae Hee as he entered the office.

“Is that so? So he’s being the good husband and ensuring that they still have influence in Taesan?” Jae Hee already expected this. She knew that Maru would eventually be back and reclaim Eun Gi’s rights in the company.

“Yes, the former Director still owns majority of the company’s stocks, and as her husband, Team Leader Kang is entitled to manage this and join the board meeting.”

“There’s no need to worry, I will play along with him” Aware of Jae Hee’s alter motive, Min Young held her wrist and gave her a stern look.

“Just in case you didn’t notice Ms. President, I’m fully aware that you want this to happen just so you’ll be able to come close with Kang Maru.” Jae Hee pulled her arm away avoiding contact with Min Young

“Remember that we’re in this together, well, that is if you want your secrets to be revealed, Han Jae Hee.” Min Young warned and left the room. Jae Hee could only cover her face with her palms in fear.

---

The board members gathered in the room for the meeting. Maru was greeted by every person in the room, some were glad to see him and some were not.

“Nice to see you again, how have you been?” Joon Ha approached Maru.

“I’ve never been better. Thank you for asking, and thank you for taking care of things while I was away. Eun Gi and I are very grateful for your help.” Joon Ha cringed upon hearing Eun Gi’s name. They haven’t been in contact since Eun Gi’s resignation from Taesan, truth be told, he really miss her. He knew that his feelings are now forbidden, but he just had to know how she’s been doing.

“That’s good to know, how about Director Seo? I haven’t heard from her for quite a while now.” Maru smiled and was about to tell him the good news about Eun Gi’s pregnancy when Jae Hee entered the room which signalled for meeting’s commencement. 

Jae Hee’s eyes gazed at Maru, and to her surprise, he was also looking at her direction. She shifted her gaze and cleared .

“Thank you everyone for coming. First things first, I would like to welcome back Team leader Kang Maru to Taesan. We consider you as one of Taesan’s assets, that’s why we are very glad to have you back. May we have a word from you?”

Maru smiled and bowed in respect, “I would like to express my deepest gratitude for the warm welcome. I know that I have left my position for quite a while. But I want to assure everyone that as team leader for the planning department, I will do my best in order to normalize things and venture into new endeavors for Taesan. Thank you. ” Jae Hee smirked knowing that she will certainly do a lot of work with Maru in the days to come.

The meeting went by smoothly. Maru’s mind was already filled up with the things that he needs to do when his thoughts were disrupted by an incoming call. A smile instantly formed on his face as he saw Eun Gi’s  name on the caller ID.

“Yeoboseyo? Does my beautiful wife need anything?” Maru cheerfully greeted.

“Ah yes, I’m craving for japchae and mandu so I made a reservation at our favorite restaurant. Is 7 o’clock fine with you?” She answered.

“Of course, anything for you. I’ll pick you up at 6:30. See you.” Maru hang up and immediately went to his office to get his work done. How he already missed his wife, If he could just fasten the time, he certainly would.

---

“Anneoyong haseyo!”

The couple was cheerfully greeted by the waiters in the restaurant. The staff already knew them because they often went to the traditional Korean restaurant. They were then led to their table, and to Maru’s surprise, Jae Hee and Eun Seok were there.

“Ah, I forgot to tell you, I invited them for dinner, if you don’t mind.” Eun Gi smiled and whispered to Maru.

“No, certainly not.” Maru smiled back, but at the back of his mind, he really just wanted to go about this dinner and spending the rest of the evening with Eun Gi, alone.

“Eun Gi noona!” Eun Seok excitedly ran and hugged Eun Gi. Jae Hee then stood to acknowledge the couple.

“How are you little man? You missed me?” Eun Gi playfully brushed Eun Seok’s hair. The boy nodded and pulled the chair for Eun Gi.

“Thank you for the invitation. It’s been a while since we had dinner together, and Eun Seok really missed his noona.”

“It’s our pleasure. And I also miss Eun Seok. I’m really fond of children nowadays.” Eun Gi said as she pinched Eun Seok’s cheeks. Maru was then alarmed, they previously agreed not to tell Jae Hee about Eun Gi’s condition yet, but what was she leading to now?

They were about to finish their meals when Eun Seok tugged the edge of Eun Gi’s blouse.

“Noona, can we play monster game later? Let’s see who crushes the most!” Eun Seok sweetly smiled at his sister.

“Oh, I’m not sure little man. Your hyung and I need to go home early because noona needs to rest.”

“Aren’t you feeling well Eun Gi-ya?” Jae Hee asked as if to show her concern

“No, not really. Actually, the real reason why I invited you for dinner was that we have an important announcement to make.” Eun Gi leaned on Maru’s arm and intertwined their fingers.

“Maru and I are going to have a baby.” Eun Gi proudly said. Jae Hee unexpectedly dropped her chopsticks, as her other hand was shaking under the table. On the other hand, Maru was also surprised at his wife’s sudden announcement.

“Oh, ah, congratulations to the both of you. I may say it really surprised me, considering you’ve only been married for less than a year. So, how far along are you?” Jae Hee was holding her voice so as not to break.

“According to the doctor, I’m about seven weeks pregnant. Honestly, we’re surprised ourselves. We didn’t expect this to come sooner, right Maru-sshi?”

“Ah yes, but it was a pleasant surprise. We actually planned to try after my surgery, and we were lucky enough to conceive right away.” Maru just decided to go along with Eun Gi, besides, he liked seeing Jae Hee cringe in annoyance.

“I’m not really feeling much of the symptoms as pregnant women normally do. How was it for you when you had Eun Seok?”

“Well I had a hard time going through all those morning sickness, and such. I just hope you’ll be able to pass through the first trimester without much hurdle.” Can we just end this conversation right now? Jae Hee felt uncomfortable with their topic.  

“I see, well I think we have to schedule a special mother-daughter talk about all these pregnancy stuff right? I’m so excited!” Eun Gi clasped her hands in delight, I just love seeing you like this Han Jae Hee. If you could just see how pale your face is. Eun Gi thought.

“Eun Gi noona, you’re going to have a baby? Can your baby be my playmate?” Eun Seok joined the conversation.

 “Yes my dear, but noona’s baby is still very small. You will have to wait until he or she is big enough to play, okay?” Eun Gi smiled and caressed Eun Seok’s hair.

“Okay! Noona, can you come with me to see those fishes?” Eun Seok pointed to the aquarium located at the other side of the restaurant.

“Eun Seok-ah, Your noona should not tire herself” Jae Hee said

“It’s alright, I’ll go with him. Please excuse us.”

Maru and Jae Hee were left at the table, and an awkward silence filled the air.

“So you’ve really gone this far just to get even?” Jae Hee sarcastically asked.

Maru huffed, “What do you mean? Having a child with Eun Gi? Where do you think our marriage would lead to?”

“You’ve used her enough to take revenge on me Kang Maru. Don’t you think you’ve gone way too far?”

“All this time, you’re still thinking that I married Eun Gi just to get even with you? I pity you Han Jae Hee. Please stop your delusions and just accept the fact that I love Eun Gi, and there’s nothing you can do to change that.”

“Kurae, so be it.” Tears swelled up in Jae Hee’s eyes as she clenched her fists in pain.

Far across the restaurant, Eun Gi’s glare was fixed at the two who seemed to be in an intimate conversation. Missing each other are we? Eun Gi bit her lips as she felt a pang of jealousy.

---

I will be coming to your office at 3 o’clock today, let’s talk.

Joon Ha raised his hand to his chest as he felt the hard pounding of his heart. The message was from Eun Gi. Finally, he will be able to see her. But why would she want to talk to him? Joon Ha was confused at the thought.

Eun Gi knew that her timing was right; Maru was in a meeting outside Taesan and won’t be back until past 5 o’clock. She informed him that she just had to talk with Secretary Hyun and Joon Ha about some matters regarding her properties, and probably let them know about her condition.

“Can I get anything for you?” Joon Ha asked Eun Gi as she sat on his office sofa.

“Tea would be fine, thank you.” Eun Gi calmly answered.

“Okay I just ordered one for you. Um, it’s been quite a while Director. How have you been doing?” Joon Ha was suppressing his voice from shaking.

“I’ve been well, very well for that matter. I didn’t know that letting Taesan off my shoulders would be such a relief. How about you? How’s everything?”

“Well, still the same. I’m currently helping Team Leader Kang with some new proposals.”

“Yeah, he told me about that. So, I guess you’re wondering why I went over to talk to you. I just wanted to ask you about that day when my father’s lifeless body was found in his office. They said that he died due to his illness, but, do you think it was the only reason Attorney Park?” Eun Gi nonchalantly asked as she crossed her arms against her chest.

Joon Ha’s eyes widened, he gulped and tried to speak but no word would come out.

“Why aren’t you saying anything? I believe you know something, Park Joon Ha.” That was it, hearing his full name from Eun Gi made him more nervous, but he has to say something, anything.

“Ah, about the late President’s death. Yes, it was due to his illness.”

“I see, but, who found his body by the way? Were you there?”

“No Director. I was-“ No, I cannot tell her  about the phone call. This is not the right time. Joon Ha told himself.

“I was in the office when it happened. But I was informed that President Han and Attorney Ahn found your father’s body in his office.”

“Han Jae Hee and Ahn Min Young?” Eun Gi’s calm composure was starting to fade.

“Yes” Joon Ha confirmed as he tried to make an eye contact with Eun Gi.

“Didn’t they hear my father’s call for help? Or was it because they opted to ignore him?” Joon Ha didn’t know what to answer. He just had to close this topic as soon as possible.

“Honestly, I don’t know Director. I’m very sorry.”

“How come you don’t know? Or are you keeping it from me? You told me before that you have something to tell me once I regain my memories. Now, tell me.”  Eun Gi gave Joon Ha her infamous deadly stare.

It took a while for Joon Ha to absorb what he just learned. “Director, you got your memories back?” He managed to utter.

“What do you think?” Eun Gi smirked.

---

Unknowingly, another person was overhearing the conversation on the other side of the door – Kang Maru. His meeting was dismissed earlier as scheduled, hence immediately returned to Taesan in the hope of catching up with Joon Ha and Eun Gi’s appointment. But, as if destiny called for it, Maru heard Eun Gi’s revelation. It was incomprehensible for him. When everything just seemed to go fine, all of a sudden, his world turned upside down.

When Eun Gi regains her memories, it’s game over for you anyway. Joon Ha’s words came into Maru’s mind. He slowly walked along the halls of Taesan, processing every word he heard from the conversation.

Finally, Maru reached his office. He sat on his office chair, and stared at their framed wedding photo placed on his desk. He wanted to cry to ease the pain, but no tear would dare flow from his eyes. He felt like a thousand needles piercing his heart. Maru sat there for what seemed like forever when he heard his phone ringing. He raised it, and the name which he dreaded to see was on the caller ID. Maru deeply inhaled before answering.

“Yoboseyo”

“Maru-sshi, where are you?” Eun Gi sweetly asked.

“Ah, I just arrived in the office. Are you done with your appointment?”

“Yes, I’m on the way there. Maru-sshi, can we eat? I think our baby is craving for kimbap and ramyum.”

“Okay, I’ll buy those for you. See you in a while. ”

“Thank you! Saranghae!” Eun Gi exclaimed before hanging up. Maru, on the other hand, had his expressionless face when the call ended.

---

“This is so delicious! I think I could eat this everyday!” Eun Gi enthusiastically said as she was eating her hot ramyum and kimbap.

“Thank you Maru-sshi, our baby is really lucky to have you as its appa.” Eun Gi smiled

Maru softly smiled back and lingered his eyes on Eun Gi.

My child, if you just know how happy I am when I learned about your existence.

I thought that God already answered my prayers.

I married your eomma. I was given another chance to live. And now, I have you.

I dreamt of holding you in my arms, seeing you walk your first steps, hearing you say your first words, hearing you call me ‘appa’ for the first time. I dreamt of teaching you in your school works, playing with you, advising you on life and seeing you grow into a fine person. You and your eomma are the most important persons in my life, I would do anything for your happiness.

But appa is a bad guy, and I guess your eomma hates me, no, she loathes me so much. I’m very sorry my child. Now, I don’t know if those dreams will ever come true.

Never have I felt this pain in my life. If I could only bring back time to fix everything, I would.

 

****

Here's chapter 6 chingus! Hope it was worth the wait. :) As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts! :D