I will do everything

I Only Want You

“The person I want to have is Han Jae Hee, not Seo Eun Gi”

“This is why you were played. I had to pretend to put my life on line for you. That’s why someone like you who is temperamental, skeptical and unbearable fell for me.”

“Do you think there was anything I wouldn’t do to have Jae Hee back?”

Every detail of that painful day came rushing into Eun Gi’s head. As she walked in the hospital halls, she remembered every moment that that led to that fateful incident. Maru has calculated everything; he made sure that she would helplessly fall in love with him. Eun Gi felt pathetic falling for the same guy twice. She even married him for god’s sake!

When she entered Maru’s room, he saw him peacefully sleeping on the hospital bed.

“He hasn’t regained consciousness since you left.” Choco sadly told Eun Gi, her eyes beaming with tears.

“The doctor said that he should be awake anytime now.” Jae Gil added.

“Don’t worry, I’m sure he’ll gain consciousness anytime soon. I’ll take it here from now, you may go home and take your rest. I’ll just call you if we will need anything” Eun Gi calmly said as she placed her things on the lampstand near Maru’s bed.

The two left, leaving Eun Gi who was seated beside Maru’s bed. In the dim light, she was only staring at Maru, studying every detail of his face. Eun Gi was in deep thought, she didn’t know what to feel. Her heart is full of hatred and vengeance for this man in front of her, but ironically, her heart also bleeds because of her deep affection for him. Dissonance was filling overcoming her entire being. Which emotion is overtaking her, she doesn’t know. She remained in that position with those thoughts for the next few hours.  

Maru stirred and slowly opened his eyes. To his surprise, he was in an unfamiliar room, his eyes roamed around the area until his eyes fell on his wife beside him. A weak smile crept on his pale face, “Eun Gi-ya” he whispered. Eun Gi just stared at him with a poker face. At this point, she doesn’t know what to do, and if she’ll try, she might fail and tell him the truth about her condition.

Maru noticed Eun Gi’s coldness, thus he slowly reached out for her hand. “Eun Gi-ya, I’m sorry, I’m very sorry for not telling you sooner”.  When their hands touched, tears instantly fell from Eun Gi’s eyes. Maru then slowly pulled her into an embrace.

“Please, tell something Eun Gi, I can’t bear seeing you like this.” Maru whispered with a shaky voice, as he tried to control himself from shedding tears. “Bastard” Eun Gi uttered with her face buried in Maru’s chest. Maru smirked and lifted Eun Gi’s face to meet her eyes. “I guess I didn’t expect that coming from you, but I’m still relieved, I know I deserve to be called like that.” Maru wiped Eun Gi’s tears with both of his hands. “You should have told me earlier. I’m your wife right? I deserve to know” Eun Gi bit her lips in order to stop the tears from falling. “I know, I know, and I’m sorry. I just don’t want to see you hurting like this. I’m your husband and I should be the one protecting and taking care of you, not the other way around.” Maru caressed Eun Gi’s face.

“They said that this was due to an accident you encountered before, what accident was that?” Eun Gi’s question shocked Maru, how was he to answer her? Maru gulped and stared at his wife, “I, I got into a motorbike accident several years ago, way before we met.” He answered.

Liar. Eun Gi thought to herself. “Even before we met? You surely get into a lot of accidents. Neither Jae Gil nor Choco mention that it was a motorbike accident”.

She was carefully trying to pin Maru in spilling the truth, “Is that so? Well, it was a long time ago, and we almost forgot about it.”

Liar. Keep on lying Kang Maru. “Arasso, you must be tired now. Take a rest. The doctor will arrive tomorrow to check on you.” Eun Gi coldly said as she fixed Maru’s blanket.

“Not until you say that you forgive me for not telling you earlier.” Maru gazed at his wife with begging eyes. Bastard. “Alright, let’s talk about this later. Just go to sleep.” Eun Gi replied. Maru once again reached out for her hand, “Sleep beside me, please?” He looked like a child begging for a toy. Eun Gi nodded, which made Maru smile. He scooted to give ample space for Eun Gi to lie on. Maru kissed Eun Gi’s forehead and contentedly wrapped his arm around her. “As long as we’re together, I could get through this illness. Saranghae Seo Eun Gi” These were Maru’s last words before sleep came over him.

Let’s just wait and see, my dear husband. Eun Gi thought to herself as she hugged Maru in response.

---

Earlier that day, the board members were anxiously waiting for Eun Gi to arrive for the meeting.

“Where is Eun Gi? She’s supposed to be here, has she forgotten that?!” Jae Hee was getting irritated as she tried to reach Eun Gi’s mobile but to no avail.

“They must be up to something in order to avoid the board members’ queries regarding her condition.” Min Young sternly said.

A knock was then heard, followed by Joon Ha’s entrance in the meeting room.

“Miss President, may I speak with you for a moment?” he bowed to give respect to the congregation.

The two exited the room, “I’ve been trying to contact Eun Gi, but she’s not answering my calls! What’s wrong with that child? Does she think escaping from this meeting would solve her problem?” Jae Hee was really frustrated.

“It’s not that Miss President. Actually, I just received a call from her sister-in-law saying that Eun Gi cannot make it for the meeting because they had an emergency at home.”

“What emergency was that?”

“Team leader Kang Maru collapsed and was brought to the hospital.” Jae Hee’s eyes widened in shock upon hearing Joon Ha’s statement.

“Why? What happened? How is he?” Jae Hee just could not hide her concern.

“My apologies Miss President, but I still don’t have the details. For now, I hope you could explain this situation to the board members. Rest assured that Director Seo will face them after Team Leader Kang is discharged from the hospital.” Jae Hee breathed in deeply to calm herself. I have to see him. I have to know how he’s doing. She thought.

---

“Appa, I failed you, I’m very sorry” Eun Gi cried in front of her father’s urn, “If I haven’t gone for Maru that day, you would still be alive today. I’m very sorry Appa, please forgive me.”

Eun Gi recalled how her father scolded her for being weak when she was young. From that day on, she promised herself to not let anything or anyone break the walls she made to protect herself from pain. Apparently, this wall was broken by a man named Kang Maru.

“It’s Kang Maru’s fault that I left you, and allowed you to die helplessly. Don’t worry father, I will let him pay for this, just like what you taught me. I am Seo Eun Gi, and I should never lose, ever.” Eun Gi raised her hand to her chest, she was still feeling the same loathe towards Maru, but she can’t reconcile her thoughts to her heart. Why does it have to be you Maru-sshi? Eun Gi cried her heart out.

---

Maru was reading the newspaper while waiting for Eun Gi, she told him that she just has to refresh herself at home and buy food for them. He then heard a knock on the door.

“Come in”

To his surprise, Jae Hee was his visitor, more so, an unwanted one.

“I learned about your condition from Attorney Park. How are you doing?” Jae Hee asked as she placed a fruit basket on the table. Maru was reluctant to give her any information about his illness, as she might take it against him and Eun Gi, especially Eun Gi.

“It’s nothing serious. I will be discharged in a few days’ time. Thank you for your concern.” Maru coldly answered. Jae Hee went near Maru’s bed, “Kang Maru, it seems like I still know you more than yourself. I know that you have to go into surgery as soon as possible. Why are you still hiding it from me? Is it because of Eun Gi? Are you afraid that I can take her position away without you beside her?” Maru wasn’t responding, he knew for a fact that Jae Hee was telling the truth.

“Kurae, don’t answer me. But I just want to ask you a favor. Please, don’t go far away from me. I want to see you recover. Once you regain your strength, go, fight for Eun Gi’s right over Taesan. Protect her with all your might. I don’t care if you’re already married to her. I just want to see you. Pathetic right? But that’s what I want. Because Kang Maru, I still want you.” Jae Hee confessed, and Maru could only look at her in shock. But he managed to gain his cool, “If that’s what you want, Noona” he smirked at Jae Hee. Maru knew that he could use this opportunity to win over Eun Gi’s rightful position in the company, like what he promised to himself before. “That is if I’ll be able to come out alive from the operating room.” He added.

Unknown to them, Eun Gi heard their conversation behind the door. Her hand gripped onto the door knob, as she grinned her teeth in anger. She must admit that Jae Hee’s tempting words for Maru still affect her. Eun Gi headed out of the hospital to compose herself, she has to pretend that she didn’t hear anything. But she just could not take off Kang Maru’s positive response to Jae Hee’s request.

---

Eun Gi was expecting to see Jae Hee when she entered Maru’s room, but it was only Dr. Min Hyuk who was talking to Maru.

“Ah, Eun Gi it’s good to see you again. How have you been?” Dr. Min Hyuk greeted.

“I’ve been well doctor, thank you. For the meantime, I guess I’m not the one who needs your expertise.” She smiled as she approached Maru’s bedside, Maru also smiled and immediately took her hand with his.

 “Seems so Eun Gi, Maru and I were discussing about the surgery. Tests results show that he’s capable of taking the surgery. The chances that surgery will succeed are high. I’m confident that he will easily recovery afterwards. After all, he has a beautiful personal nurse taking care of him.” Dr. Min Hyuk teased the couple.

“I agree with you doctor, my wife here is taking good care of me. I actually feel cured by just her mere presence” He happily said, and glanced over Eun Gi. She, too, smiled in response.

“Well that’s good to know. Love could really do miraculous stuff huh? If you’re fine with it, we’ll get you ready for the surgery as early as tonight. We could schedule the surgery on the day after tomorrow.”

“That’ll be perfectly fine doctor, thank you very much” Maru responded.

“Yes, that’ll be good doctor. Please let me know if my husband still needs to undergo further tests, or just anything, so I could arrange it.” Eun Gi politely answered.

Dr. Min Hyuk left the couple after a few more discussions regarding Maru’s upcoming surgery. As Maru’s former senior, he was glad to be handling the couple’s case. But he also felt guilty allowing Maru to set aside his own health condition for Eun Gi’s sake.

Eun Gi was seated beside Maru on the hospital bed, with Maru’s head resting on her shoulders. Maru seemed very vulnerable nowadays, like a child who’s longing for a mother’s care. He was playing with their fingers amazed at how they fit together perfectly,

“Eun Gi-ya”

“Hm?”

“After the surgery, should we try for a baby? With my condition, I’ve come to realize that life is too short, anything can happen to either one of us anytime. Knowing that, I just want to start a family, and cherish every single day with you and our future children.”

Eun Gi was somehow surprised as she didn’t see this coming. A baby would only make things more complicated for them. Maru lifted his head when he noticed Eun Gi’s quietness. “What do you say? We talked about it before right? It would be nice to see a mini Eun Gi or mini Maru running around the house. We’ll definitely be a happy family.” Maru sweetly smiled.  

Eun Gi felt confused for a moment, her mind was telling her that Maru is a liar, a bastard, someone who ruined her life, but her heart was telling otherwise. How could his loving eyes and smile give warmth to her heart?

“Arasso” Eun Gi finally answered. This simple word brought a huge smile to Maru’s face. He could already imagine their kids looking exactly like him and Eun Gi. This new dream gave him another reason to fight his illness and live. He then held Eun Gi’s face and gave her a sweet kiss. Maru was enjoying the bliss as their lips moved in sync, yet unknown to him, Eun Gi had her vengeful eyes open the whole time.

I, Seo Eun Gi, will do everything to bring you down, Kang Maru.

 

****

Here it is chingus! I was inspired to update my story because NG just ended airing in our country  *sob sob*. I'll surely miss watching EunMa couple every night. :( Anyway, I'd really appreciate hearing your thoughts about this chapter! Thanks! ^-^

P.S. I really admire writer Lee for making such a unique and wonderful story like Nice Guy! :)