It's time

I Only Want You

“Do you think you can hide it forever? If one day Eun Seok learns about this, how will you explain that you’re the one responsible for his appa’s death?”

“Then I will make sure that he will not learn about it even if it’s the last thing I do.”

Jae Hee recalled her confrontation with Maru. For Eun Seok’s sake, can she really confess her crime? Will Eun Seok be able to forgive her for what she has done to his father? But will all these still be possible given the situation his son is in? I will do anything, just please let my son live. For the first time in many years, Jae Hee prayed.

More than five hours have passed but there’s still no update about Eun Seok’s operation. Everyone was anxiously waiting outside the operating room, Eun Seok’s ahjumma sobbing, Min Young pacing around the hall, Eun Gi leaning on Maru’s shoulder, and Jae Hee seated quietly as she was tired from crying. The silence was interrupted when the operating room door’s swung open. They all stood and eagerly anticipated for the doctor to speak.

“The boy is safe now. Fortunately we have enough supply of blood to have the transfusion. He will be transferred to the recovery room immediately.”  Everyone deeply sighed in relief upon hearing the good news. The couple embraced, while Jae Hee shed tears of joy.

“Thank you so much doctor. Thank you for saving my son’s life.” She said in between sobs. The doctor smiled and nodded before leaving them. Min Young went beside Jae Hee to offer his embrace, which she accepted. Now that her son is safe, will she have the courage to tell him the truth?

---

Jae Hee was carefully caressing her son’s delicate small face, studying every feature of it. He indeed was the only one she has; the only person who she knew genuinely loves her. If she’ll reveal the truth, then her son will definitely hate her for the rest of his life. He’s too young to know all of these, but probably – her thoughts were interrupted when Eun Gi and Maru entered the room.

“How is he doing?” Eun Gi approached Eun Seok’s bed.

“The doctor said that it might still take him a few more hours before waking up. His body was exhausted from everything that happened, but he’ll be fine.”

“That’s good to know, my little brother is a fighter. If you don’t mind, we have to go now, but I’ll be back tomorrow to check on Eun Seok.” When the couple was about to leave, Jae Hee stood, “Eun Gi- ya” she called and gave her a hug. Eun Gi and Maru were surprised at the sudden gesture of Jae Hee, “Gomawo” Jae Hee softly said as she released Eun Gi. “I would like to talk with you tomorrow. For now, rest well. Your baby needs it too.” Jae Hee gave her a small smile. “Arasso, I’ll see you tomorrow” Eun Gi returned the smile and left with Maru.

While on their way home, Maru’s mind was occupied with Jae Hee’s talk with Eun Gi the following day. What was she going to tell Eun Gi? Could it be about - ?

“Maru-sshi?” He snapped out of his daze when he heard Eun Gi calling his name.

“Ah ye?” he responded

“Is there something wrong? I called your name thrice, you seemed to be in deep thought” Eun Gi worriedly asked. Maru then smiled and reached out for her hand, “It’s nothing, you don’t have to worry. Maybe I was just tired with all the day’s happenings, what about you? You must be really tired.”

“Actually I am, but I’m just glad that my little brother is okay. Plus the fact that we’re going to have a son” she smiled back at him as she placed her free hand over her swollen abdomen. Maru stole a gaze at his wife and planted a kiss on her hand.

---

“You must take a rest President, I will look over Eun Seok while you sleep” Min Young said to Jae Hee.

“It’s alright, Eun Seok might wake up anytime soon, and he will surely look for me.” Jae Hee answered without leaving her eyes from Eun Seok.

“I will let you know once he’s awake, just please take a rest even for a while” Min Young sounded rather concerned

“Have you ever thought confessing to anyone what happened on that day, Ahn Min Young?” Jae Hee asked in a soft but firm voice, which caught Min Young off guard.

“What do you mean?” he anxiously asked.

“Can you sleep peacefully at night knowing that we have killed someone? Because with all honestly, I cannot.” Jae Hee finally met Min Young’s eyes.

“Do you think a peaceful sleep is more important than everything that you have right now? Are you willing to give up all these? Everything that you’ve achieved?”

“I actually cannot, but, my conscience is telling me that, this time around, I have to, because I got Eun Seok back.” Silence filled the room as the two stared at each other as if trying to what the other was thinking.

---

“Maru-sshi, are you still awake?” Maru was already drifting to sleep when he heard his name.

 “Hm?”

“Why do you think Jae Hee wanted to talk to me? Do you have any idea?” Eun Gi anxiously asked. Maru slowly opened his eyes and adjusted his vision to the darkness of their room.

“I’m not very sure, probably about Tae San” Or probably about what happened ‘that day’, he thought.

“About Tae San? Isn’t it untimely? I was thinking if it has to do something with Eun Seok or you.” Maru’s face twitched in confusion.

“Me? Why would she want to talk about me?” Eun Gi was reluctant to bring up the matter, but he has to know.

“About your past with her?” she muttered. Maru almost forgot that Eun Gi already regained her memories, and thus she remembered everything about him and Jae Hee. He then reached out and opened the lamp beside on the night stand. He fixed his eyes on Eun Gi and he saw her anxious eyes looking at him.

“As you said, it’s already in the past. Why even bother talk about it?” Maru suddenly recalled one of his conversations with Eun Gi during their previous vacation.

The couple was cuddled up on the sofa while relishing the heating from the fireplace. Autumn has just set in thus adding the coldness in the air.  

“I have to tell you something Maru-sshi” Eun Gi bit her lower lip and lifted her face from Maru’s chest.

“What is it?” Maru touched Eun Gi’s cheek to assure her that he’s attentively listening.

“I already know why you were jailed, and how Jae Hee was involved in it.”  Maru’s eyes widened in shock and his hand fell from Eun Gi’s face.

“I was doing all the investigations I could do to come up with something that would bring trouble to you and Jae Hee, that’s how I came to know about this.”

“But, who told you?” Maru’s voice was breaking.

“Han Jae Sik. He told me that you took the blame for Jae Hee’s crime. Is that true? That you did it for her?” All that happened on that fateful night came rushing into Maru’s mind. It took a while before he could answer.

“I only did what I thought was right then. I understand your need to know everything about my past, but –“ Maru was cut when Eun Gi placed her finger on Maru’s lips to stop him from continuing his explanation.

“I know this topic is very sensitive, and I’m sorry for bringing it up. I don’t need to understand everything if it will only rekindle painful memories.” Eun Gi softly said as she wrapped her arms around Maru’s neck to pull him into a warm kiss.

“Sorry, but I just can’t help but think about it.” Eun Gi calmly explained as to prevent any tension from building up. Maru also did not want to go further with their conversation, he just sighed and tucked a loose hair behind Eun Gi’s ear.

“What’s done is done. Whether or not it’s true, the important thing is the present, my present with you and our baby, arasso?” Eun Gi smiled and nodded. Maru then leaned to kiss Eun Gi in the hope of settling the matters with regards to his past with Jae Hee. Eun Gi, on the other hand, felt the confirmation from Maru and chose not to dwell on it. His husband was right, they should only be concerned about their present. We will not let our past dictate our future. She thought as she responded to his kiss.

---

Eun Seok’s small eyes slowly opened and curiously examined the room. When he realized that he’s not in his room, he called out “Eomma”. Jae Hee jolted from her slumber when she heard her son’s voice.

“Eun Seok-ah, eomma’s here. How are you feeling? Where do you feel any discomfort?” she worriedly examined her son’s face.

“I want to go home eomma, I want to play with ahjumma and Eun Gi noona” Eun Seok innocently answered.

“You have to rest and recover first, then eomma will play with you anytime you want, arachi?” a smile crept on Eun Seok’s face and Jae Hee could vividly see the excitement in her son’s eyes.

A few moments later Eun Gi and Maru entered the room, seeing a laughing Eun Seok on his bed.

“Eun Seok-ah!” Eun Gi exclaimed as she hurried to Eun Seok’s bedside.

“Eun Gi noona” Eun Seok happily acknowledged his sister.

“How are you little man? You got us worried there. Don’t go anywhere without company, arachi?”

“Yes noona, sorry about that. But you know what? I talked with appa, he said that I should be a good boy.” Everyone was surprised with what Eun Seok just said.

“He did?” Eun Gi remembered her own experience with her appa as well.

“Yes, and he said that he loves us very much” tears unconsciously fell from Eun Gi’s eyes as she placed a kiss on Eun Seok’s forehead.

Hearing these words from her son broke Jae Hee’s heart. She knew the right thing to do, but she just hoped that she has the courage to do it.

---

“I think I better leave the two of you to talk” Maru patted Eun Gi’s back, but when he was about to leave Jae Hee called his attention.

“Maru, I’m sorry to bother you, but I think it would be better if the three of us talk.” Maru and Eun Gi’s eyes met in surprise.

The three then left Eun Seok with his ahjumma and went to a secluded area in the hospital.

With her back facing the couple, Jae Hee was gathering all her strength and finding the right words to say.

“When Eun Seok fully recovers, can you move in to the mansion?” Jae Hee asked, still not facing the couple.

“What are you talking about?” Maru anxiously asked.

“I might need to leave for I don’t know how long” she answered

“Why? Where are you going?” Eun Gi was getting confused.

Jae Hee then turned and approached Eun Gi, she took both her hands into hers. “Eun Gi-ya, can you take care of Eun Seok while I’m away? I know this is too much to ask given that you will have your own child to take care of.”

“Han Jae Hee, please stop beating around the bush and tell us what’s going on” Seriously, where do you want this conversation to go? Maru annoyingly said.

“This is what you requested Maru right? That I pay for my own crime?” Jae Hee smirked at him.

“What do you mean?” Eun Gi softly uttered

“Eun Gi-ya, I, I –“ Jae Hee gulped, “I’m the one responsible for your appa’s death.”

Eun Gi felt her heart drop at what she just heard.

“How? How did you? You killed my appa!” Eun Gi shouted as she shoved her hand away from Jae Hee. Maru quickly gathered her into his arms to calm her, he then gave a deadly stare at Jae Hee.

“Ya, do you really think this is the right time to confess your crime?!”

“Please understand that I have to do this. I cannot take it anymore. I’m doing this for Eun Seok’s safe. Please Eun Gi-ya, Maru-ya, I know you won’t forgive me, but please grant my only request.” Jae Hee pleaded with tears flowing from her eyes.

Little did they know Min Young was watching them from afar.

---

“I learned from Team Leader Kang what just happened.” Joon Ha anxiously said on the phone. He, himself, was very shocked at the recent turn out of events. He was on business trip when Eun Gi called her, but how he wished that he could speak to her personally. Joon Ha knew that this day would come; that Eun Gi will finally learn the truth about her father’s death, but Joon Ha was afraid of how she will handle the situation given her condition. More so, he was afraid what can Min Young do.

“I can’t think straight right now Joon Ha. I finally know the truth, but, what should I do? Send her to jail and I see my brother suffer?”

Eun Gi was waiting for Maru in his office before they return to the hospital and face Jae Hee again. Their previous confrontation was left hanging because Maru was afraid that the tension might harm Eun Gi and their baby.

“Eun Gi, there’s still something you have to know. I was speaking with your appa during that time I heard everything that happened, including - ” Eun Gi was attentively listening to Joon Ha when she heard the door open. She turned around and to her surprise, Min Young was staring at her.

“Ahn Min Young” this was the last thing Joon Ha heard before their call was cut. His heart raced at the thought of what could happen to Eun Gi. He immediately dialled Maru’s number for help.

“Seo Eun Gi, I believe you already know the truth about the President.” He slowly walked towards Eun Gi.

“What do you want?” Eun Gi stepped backward and protectively covered her swollen abdomen with her hands. With another step, she found herself on the wall. Maru-sshi, where are you??? She wanted to shout for help, but no voice would dare escape her lips.

Before she could move, Min Young was only a few feet from her. He looked at her with his piercing eyes, and all of a sudden, he knelt before her.

“Seo Eun Gi, please spare Jae Hee from this. Let me pay for the crime instead.” He pleaded Eun Gi with his stern voice.

Eun Gi could not believe her ears, she knows that Min Young is loyal to Jae Hee ever since, but hearing him beg for her benefit is really something. She was about to answer him when Maru came rushing into the office. He immediately pulled Min Young and punched him to the floor.

“Ya! What are you trying to do to my wife?!” Maru shouted in between his punches.

“Maru-sshi, stop it, let him explain!” Eun Gi tried to halt the commotion. Min Young did not fight back, and when Maru realized this, he stopped and stood from the floor.

Min Young slowly sat and wiped the blood from his lips. “Go ahead, call the police and I will voluntarily confess for my crime.”

“You’re unbelievable” Maru scoffed.

---

“Eomma, let’s play again later okay?”

“I’m not so sure Eun Seok-ah, but you have to prepare now, your noona and hyung will be here very soon.”

“Cheongmal? Yey!” Eun Seok jumped in excitement. A month and a half have already passed since the accident, and Eun Seok was back to his cheerful self. Jae Hee was very happy to see her son up and about. The past month has been the most memorable one for her, as she was able to take care of Eun Seok, and attend to his needs 24/7.

“Eun Seok-ah, you know that eomma is leaving for a while right?” Eun Seok nodded.

“You know that eomma loves you very very very much?” he again nodded. Jae Hee then gathered her son in an embrace and placed a kiss on top of his head.

“I will miss you” she softly said.

“Eomma, how long will you be gone?”

“I’m not very sure my dear”

“Why can’t I come with you?”

“Kids like you are not allowed in the place where eomma’s going” Eun Seok frowned at his eomma’s answer. He then wrapped his small arms around Jae Hee’s neck.

“I love you very much eomma, I promise that I will be a good boy” a tear fell from Jae Hee’s eye.

---

“Woah, this is really our new home?” Choco was in awe upon entering the Seo mansion.

“It’s ten times bigger than our previous house!” Jae Gil exclaimed as he placed his luggage on the floor.

“Sure you’re fine with this?” Maru whispered to Eun Gi as he placed his hand on her back while the other on her abdomen. Eun Gi squeezed Maru’s hand in assurance.

“It’s good to finally see you here” Jae Hee greeted them while going down the big staircase.

“Your rooms are ready, we will ask the ahjummas to bring your things there.” The couple nodded in response.

The four briefly visited their respective rooms. The couple then entered Eun Gi’s old room.

“So this is your room, it’s so big. You must have felt uneasy staying in a small bedroom in our old house. And hey, look what we have here” Maru picked up Eun Gi’s old Barbie doll.

“You remember this?” He asked.

“Of course, you risked your life to save my doll” Eun Gi answered as she took the doll. This doll played a huge part in their story, if not for Jae Hee and this doll, they won’t probably be together.  

“This place is where I grew up, but I actually like our old house better, it gave me a warm homey feeling.” Eun Gi answered. Maru then enveloped her in a hug.

“Anywhere is home as long as we’re together Eun Gi-ya. But I think I know why you like our old house better, because, it’s where everything happened” Maru gave his wife a teasing look. This made Eun Gi blush “Ya!” she punched him on the arm.

“Might as well check on the bathroom. What do you say, let’s take a shower first?” Maru winked at Eun Gi.

“Ya, whatever’s running in your head Kang Maru, you’re not going to get it!” Eun Gi protested, which made Maru chuckle.

Their short bliss was interrupted by a knock on the door.

“I must go now, the prosecutors are waiting for me outside. Eun Gi, would you mind playing with Eun Seok to keep him occupied?”

“Ah ye” Eun Gi answered.

“Thank you, to the both of you, thank you very much” Jae Hee gave Eun Gi one last hug before leaving with her luggage.

Before Jae Hee opened the main door, he heard someone call her name. She turned and saw Maru.

“Thank you for doing this. Don’t worry, we will take good care of Eun Seok. It won’t be long before you see him again.” He approached Jae Hee and gave her a warm hug.

“Take care of yourself, noona” Maru sincerely said. It has been almost eight years since the last time he expressed his care and sincerity to Jae Hee, his first love.  Jae Hee warmly smiled at him in response and left for the door.

---

As the couple adjusted to their new home, Eun Seok slowly began to grow accustomed to the new people in their house. He was often entertained by Jae Gil and Choco, but there were still times that he’d cry at night and only Eun Gi’s comforting words would soothe him. Often times, he’ll cry from a nightmare and search for his eomma. Eun Gi and Maru will then wake up from Eun Seok’s cries, and as if on cue, Eun Gi will go to his brother’s room despite her being heavily pregnant. While Eun Gi gathered Eun Seok in her arms and whispered words of comfort, Maru just watched them from the door. His heart would break at the sight, but it would also swell with love because he could already see what kind of a mother Eun Gi could be.

Winter just ended, and the growth of new leaves on the trees’ branches signalled the start of spring. The Seo mansion was now full of anticipation as the family’s newest member was due to arrive anytime soon. Everyone wanted to take part in arranging the baby’s nursery. Maru and Jae Gil were assembling the crib, while Choco, Eun Seok and his ahjumma were arranging the toys in place. Eun Gi was joyfully watching them while caressing her swollen abdomen, which Jae Gil earlier remarked that looked like a watermelon. Of course, he wasn’t able to go away with his remark without a beating from Maru. Everything was going well when Eun Gi suddenly felt a wave of pain hit her. She clutched her bump and yelped in pain. In an instance, everybody stopped and gathered around Eun Gi.

“Eun Gi-ya, what’s wrong?!” Maru held Eun Gi’s hands and asked with his panicked expression.

Eun Gi struggled with her breath, until she was able to utter “Maru-sshi, it’s time”.

It’s time?! I’m going to be a father very soon?! Maru excitingly told himself. 

 

***

Tada! Here's Chapter 10 chingus! Honestly, my original plan was to end my story in Chapter 10, but thanks to your support I decided to add a few chapters more. Hope this was worth the wait.  As always, I'd love to hear from you! :D